Sign in to follow this  
iam90sbaby

Pat Tillman

Can't believe no ones posted a topic about it yet! Forgive me if this is the wrong section to post in, I figured it went in The Geek Club because it wasn't fantasy related.

Today marks the ten year anniversary of Pat Tillman's death.

RIP.

There was a pretty good piece on it on npr the other night. It had the guy in charge of firing on tillman and one of the guys that was with tillman when they came under fire. Both have ptsd. One feels guilt about firing on them the other feels rage over the mistake made by the guy firing.

What kind of sack does it take to quit the nfl to join an elite military group?

RIP Hero.

RIP Hero.

:thumbsup:

Someone tired of playing for the Arizona Cardinals?

Someone tired of playing for the Arizona Cardinals?

:lol:

:(

Apparently there is a movement to get him into Canton. If you believe the criteria is "can we tell the story of the game without him," then he should be in. Dan Patrick proposed a wing for all players who died in service, which I would support as well.

RIP Tillman.

Tillman had a very complex set of reasoning that I found quite compelling.

Reminds me of WWII. The day after "The Day That Will Live In Infamy" and America became aware of the attack on Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt's called for volunteer troops. The New York Army's recruitment station found they had the baseball's best player outside, they moved him to the front of the line, cut all the red tape, and Joe DiMaggio was officially and literally the first volunteer processed into service the day after Pearl Harbor.

Not only was DiMaggio willing to take three years out of the prime of his career to serve in the military but he was such a major PR coup for the Army, especially in the early days when they weren't sure how America would respond. For baseball obsessed young men, if Joe DiMaggio himself wasn't too busy to serve, were you?

Ted williams took time out for the war too.

A lot did. Even so, the games continues with what was left.

I agree with that. however I take exception with the fact that Joe D was the best ballplayer. Teddy ballgame is the best pure hitter ever to live. If you look at their stats side by side he is better than joe d in every aspect.

I agree with that. however I take exception with the fact that Joe D was the best ballplayer. Teddy ballgame is the best pure hitter ever to live. If you look at their stats side by side he is better than joe d in every aspect.

And if you look at their fielding and base running side by side, Joe D was far, far -light years- ahead. He was the total package. He was as smooth a centerfielder as you could ask for and even stole home six times.

Besides, Yankee Stadium had a huge, huge distinct negative effect on DiMaggio's stats. He was a right-handed batter playing in the House That (left-handed hitting) Ruth Built. Despite this his stats were always way, way up anyways. Meanwhile Boston -on the other hand- installed "Williamsburg" their bullpen in right field deliberately to help Williams pad his stats with the fence moved in 20 yards.

I did not know that. Thanks. :)

Like I said new to the forums, and that means I am new to navigating them as well. Was just trying to spread my love for Pat Tillman!

• Like 1

as a hitter which is what makes up the majority of a players value williams is still the better player. Taking 2 parts of the game and then blaming the ballpark is grasping at straws in order to prove the point.

as a hitter which is what makes up the majority of a players value williams is still the better player. Taking 2 parts of the game and then blaming the ballpark is grasping at straws in order to prove the point.

I don't want to argue about who was better in the Tillman thread even though that was DiMaggio.

I was comparing Tillman to DiMaggio since DiMaggio had volunteered at the NY Army recruiting station the day after Pearl Harbor whereas Williams got drafted into service, tried to fight his classification, and in the ensuing public stinkfest lost his corporate sponsorship from Quaker Oats. I don't blame him for trying to get out of going to war, but its not like he showed up the first day, he was essentially dragged into service against his will.

DiMaggio could be used as PR for the war recruitment effort; Williams, not so much.

Still, at the end of the day, he went too. That's it's own form of leadership and it's tacky to criticize. Hats off to both guys who left for service in the prime of their careers. It's a different era and Tillman is a throwback to guys like them.

Ted williams took time out for the war too.

Two wars actually. WWII and Korea.

Like I said new to the forums, and that means I am new to navigating them as well. Was just trying to spread my love for Pat Tillman!

I hope you didn't think that was sarcasm. I hadn't seen anything about and appreciated you pointing it out. It's always good to be reminded about Pat Tillman. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

And there are a lot more like him. But we don't get to hear much about them from our useless media unless they are famous and are killed by our own troops. That makes a good compelling story. But not the soldier who gave his life or risked his life to save many others. Can you name one Congresiional Medal of Honor recepient in the last five years? No Googling.

Can you name one Congresiional Medal of Honor recepient in the last five years? No Googling. [/b]

Edward Snowden

Edward Snowden

He did it under Obamas watch so that's not going to happen.

And there are a lot more like him. But we don't get to hear much about them from our useless media unless they are famous and are killed by our own troops. That makes a good compelling story. But not the soldier who gave his life or risked his life to save many others. Can you name one Congresiional Medal of Honor recepient in the last five years? No Googling.

Mike Murphy. Might be outside the five year window though.

who?

was he R or D?

Mike Murphy. Might be outside the five year window though.

:thumbsup:

Mikey Monsoor. 6 years ago.

I couldn't name one from ever.

Did Teddy bang Norma Jean -- NO! Joe D Best ever :first:

RIP Tillman.

Tillman had a very complex set of reasoning that I found quite compelling.

Reminds me of WWII. The day after "The Day That Will Live In Infamy" and America became aware of the attack on Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt's called for volunteer troops. The New York Army's recruitment station found they had the baseball's best player outside, they moved him to the front of the line, cut all the red tape, and Joe DiMaggio was officially and literally the first volunteer processed into service the day after Pearl Harbor.

Not only was DiMaggio willing to take three years out of the prime of his career to serve in the military but he was such a major PR coup for the Army, especially in the early days when they weren't sure how America would respond. For baseball obsessed young men, if Joe DiMaggio himself wasn't too busy to serve, were you?

The counter point being that Joe D's actions lead to us having to watch Rosie O'Donnel play baseball. So it was at best a zero sum move for the nation.