Sign in to follow this  
Loaded Box

Thoughts on Everyone Makes Playoffs Leagues

What are your thoughts on fantasy football leagues where all teams automatically make the playoffs?

I'm in one league like this with some friends and that is my biggest complaint about the league. The top two teams do get bye weeks to begin the playoffs, but I still don't like the idea of rewarding someone with an appearance in the playoffs if they had a terrible season or failed to maintain their roster and now they have a chance to beat you in the playoffs.

One plus is that it should in theory keep all participants interested in the league, but if you have a group of friends who really like football this shouldn't be an issue in the first place. Another benefit of everyone making the playoffs could be that one of the people with a top score had tough matchups each week and failed to make the playoffs for that purpose - but I feel like that's just part of the game.

Interested to see what everyone else thinks, thanks!

I would rather drink turpentine and urinate in a brush fire.

• Like 3

Ha, these are the type of answers I was thinking I'd get. I feel like I'm the only person in the league who wants to change up the format, so I needed to make sure there were others out there who felt the same way I do.

Only interested if say the top two scorers in the league made some money before the playoffs started. Hate to be the high score in the league and then get beat in the first round by a fluke good week by the bottom team.

I'm in a family league for funsies with no stakes and everyone makes the playoffs. That's about the only way this should happen.

• Like 1

I'm in a 10 team league where the last 2 weeks are scheduled off the first fourteen. So in week 15 it's 1v10, 2v9, 3v8, 4v7 and 5v6. Then week 16 you rerank and it's 1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8 and 9v10.

After this week we could end up with 1 team at 9-5, 3 at 8-6, 4 at 7-7, 1 at 6-8 and the last guy is just stinking up the joint.

I love this format because as close as this is, 9 guys are still in it. If someone would go 14-0 and then drop the last two they also aren't getting screwed over here.

Only interested if say the top two scorers in the league made some money before the playoffs started. Hate to be the high score in the league and then get beat in the first round by a fluke good week by the bottom team.

The person with the best overall record at the end of the regular season gets half of the money put into the league, so there is that incentive.

I personally like the idea of including all the teams in the playoffs but splitting it into 2 groups. The top 6 teams fight for the championship, the bottom 6 teams fight for the "toilet bowl" with the winner granted the 1st overall pick, or some small prize.

I personally like the idea of including all the teams in the playoffs but splitting it into 2 groups. The top 6 teams fight for the championship, the bottom 6 teams fight for the "toilet bowl" with the winner granted the 1st overall pick, or some small prize.

like kissing Shredhead's sister?

Fantasy football 'jumped the shark' years ago as it became a thing to do, so there's just vastly different 'levels' of leagues. Call it snobby. I'll call it honesty cuz I've been in a gang of different leagues. Usually it's half 'serious' folks and half goofballs hoping to get lucky. And the rules go a long way towards determining how much luck is a part of the show.

Some leagues are super active/serious with nerdy math and/or abnormal rules/formats/rosters/starters. Some leagues are shallow with a highly 'forgiving' setup and half the league can be asleep at the wheel most of the year and still be successful if their draft fell right...

If everyone makes the playoffs, the regular season is largely unimportant and the stakes need to be relatively low. Either that or you can't play in the league if you are looking for something more 'strict' and you're that far away from what the bulk of the league wants.

OR

You can try to find a more 'serious' league to be in as your 'main' league. Then you can stay in this league and it'll be 'whatevs' if you can't push your league-mates into your vision of what a league 'should' be. Aka it's subjective!

I only play in leagues with 4 playoff teams left standing at the end of the regular season.

When the playoffs begin (when I am in it), I love the fact that many great fantasy players are not going to be a problem anymore. Through a good draft, deft trades, great in-season management, and a little luck........I am now left with only 2 games to win to take the Ship.

If everyone was automatically in, then the regular season would be meaningless to me. I can't fathom that. After all, even a bad team can have a couple of lucky blow-up games in the post-season and steal it all.

That's the way it's done in my main league. It allows those who were cursed with flukey, gawdawful seasons to still have something to fight for at the end - while also slightly alleviating that cold, hopeless emptiness that comes from sitting on the sidelines with nothing more to look forward to.

Edited to add: The term 'playoff' is misleading here, as only the top four teams in my league have a chance at the title. The bottom teams still have the chance to play, but not for the championship.

Nope.

It's awfull and really cheapens the regular season and it gives teams that shouldn't have a chance to win the title a shot at doing so.

Just wait and start your season week 14 then .

This was my first thought as well. And I'm 34 - supposedly a member of that bag of dicks.

yeah and I'm 35 and "technically" still in that same boat, but I think a much better barometer to judge is identifying true millennials as the ones that grew up with internet throughout their lifetime, and participation trophies.

I didn't have that, but my little brother that is 28 now did, and it's a perfect split point. I don't think like millennials, yet he does.

Hope that helps you.

What's the point in the season?

We have three tiers in our league, the coveted Final 4, a Consolation tier for 5-8 and the Tidy Bowl tier for teams 9-12.

It's definitely not my main FF league, it's just one of several that I partake in. And I do it because I enjoy the smack talk between the friends in the league.

If you couldn't tell from my original post I'm anti the way the league does it's playoffs, but i was just curious to see if there were any advantages to doing this type of league that I haven't thought of yet. I tell the people in the league all of the time that we need to change it. But since it's the only league I'm in that's like this, I roll with it.

In my main league, we've got a pretty good system.

NO PLAYOFFS

Head to Head for 17 weeks, best record wins.

Re-draft for NFL playoffs where the last place team picks first and it's a non-serpentine draft.

Everyone interested until regular season is over and everyone interested when NFL playoffs start.

Money- $30.00 buy in for each team

Each loss costs owner $15.00 for regular season.

'

Each Pick up, trade, rent, costs owner $5.00 and all proceeds from this go to playoff pool.

My best leauge also has no playoffs.

If I were in OP's league, I would field a team all year, always giving myself the best waiver priority. When this time of year rolls around, I would finally start my real roster that has accumulated all of the best waiver guys throughout the year.