Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Name your top 3 beers

Moosehead.

Moosehead.

Moosehead.

and then whatever else is available.

Nothing else comes close. Tastes like a beer should, very clean and almost non existent aftertaste. You can toss down 6 or 7 in just a couple of minutes. Good either cold or at room temperature.

Best all around drinking beer: Sam Adams Light

Best Cold Weather Seasonal: Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale

Best Warm Weather Seasonal: Leinenkugel Summer Shandy

Stella has been really well marketed, as a premium beer. The French should stick to wine. It's really sour. Well packaged, well marketed .... but about as smooth as a Budweiser. It's a beer meant to make you look cool, that tastes bad .... but be my guest.

Prolly the best beers I ever had were in Paris .... full % Carlsberg on tap. Did not have the alcohol content restrictions of American beer and was really smooth. They don't drink Stella in France .... they drink Carlsberg.

Stella is the equivilent of keystone light in Europe. British friend calls it 'wife beater' beer.

Carlsberg is very good, had it in Amsterdam. Fresh Heinekin on tap was amazing there are well. It is putrid stuff we get over here. Not the same beer.

You're selling Stella short. It may be a little overhyped but it is far, far better than Corona and especially Bud.

Also, FYI, Stella is from Belgium, not France. I think you would agree that the Belgians know a thing or two about good beer, no?

Stella is awful. Tastes like icehouse beer

Franziskanner Weiss Bier. If you like Blue Moon you should try this - it's slightly drier and less sweet, also goes well with a lemon. I think this is my favorite beer of all-time. Only problem is that it gives me wicked hangovers, I think from the sugar. Paulaner is in the same class, so is Hoegarden. Blue Moon is like the sh1t version

Michelob makes Shocktop which is drinkable as well. Most the hefe's taste pretty similar to me. Good after golf beer

The wide variety of microbrews that are readily available makes choosing 3 difficult, but I would go with:

Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA

Stone Ruination IPA

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout

Black Raven Brewing in Redmond, WA also have phenomenal beers but I'm not sure how available they are in other parts of the country.

Damn. Now I'm thirsty.

Tecate

Erdinger Krystal Klar (this stuff is $3 a bottle at the liquor store, but worth it)

Boulevard Wheat

Where are you located?Just asking because last I knew Boulevard had branched out to 8 or 9 states.

Where are you located?Just asking because last I knew Boulevard had branched out to 8 or 9 states.

They sell it here in Minny. :dunno:

Woodchuck Apple Cider if I want to get wasted

Bohemia if I'm just having a few

Coors light if I'm drinking all day

They sell it here in Minny. :dunno:

Damn good micro-brew out of Kansas City,in fact before AB in St Louis came out with their Bud Wheat or whatever it was called they tried to buy Boulevard and Boulevard said no thanks.

Harpoon IPA

Ipswich IPA

Long Trail IPA

Dogfish is great also. I had the 120 minute on tap a while back, was hammered after a few.

peenie, Sounds like you want to avoid anything too hoppy. That means stay away from IPA, Pale Ales, and any beer with the word Hop in the title. Many micro brewers also over-hop their beers, which tends to be an American craft beer standard. Magic Hat, Dogfish, Smuttynose, Victory, all seem to add more hops that I'd prefer. Magic Hat #9 is one exception from your list. Very nice with a slight apricot flavor.

You would generally want to try Lagers, Belgians (Dubel, Tripel), and my fave - Octoberfest (Marzen).

To give you my top 3 for 9 months of the year:

Newcastle Brown Ale

Stella Artois

Moosehead (for after playing hockey)

Come August, when the Oktoberfest beers start coming out, all bets are off and my list is 100% dominated by Oktoberfest beers. Sam Adams is one of the best, as is Dogfish and Stoudts. The German's are also good with Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, Paulaner.

One beer to add to your try list is Hasker-Pschorr Helles Lager. I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it.

I don't want a beer that someone feels the need to explain to me. I don't want to drink with someone who does explain it. It's beer. But Guinness, if we're counting a stout as beer, gets my vote. Modelo on tap with good Mexican is great too. But I'll drink most domestic swill if it's cold.

• Like 1

Franziskanner Weiss Bier. If you like Blue Moon you should try this - it's slightly drier and less sweet, also goes well with a lemon. I think this is my favorite beer of all-time. Only problem is that it gives me wicked hangovers, I think from the sugar. Paulaner is in the same class, so is Hoegarden. Blue Moon is like the sh1t version of these beers.

Yards Philly Pale Ale. Totally different - this is a bitter, hoppy IPA type ale. Absolutely freaking delicious.

Not really sure I have a third favorite. A few others that I like are Alagash White, Anchor Steam, Newcastle Brown Ale ... Most of the time I drink Corona. If I'm really slumming it I'll go for Rolling Rock or the champagne of beers.

Corona Light

Yards Philly Pale Ale

I cant deink Hefeweizen anymore - ton of calories and gives me a headache.

1.Boulevard Wheat

2.Fat Tire

3.Thunder Cloud (Guinness on Blvd.Wheat)

New addition and order

1.Tank 7

2.Boulevard Wheat

3.Fat Tire

Oh so it's more manly to drink a weak ass shitty beer that resembles beer flavored water more than anything?

That's like saying it's less manly to use seasoning on food

• Like 1

Modus Mandarina

Brickstone APA

Balast Point Skullpin grapefruit IPA

What are 3 beers Ive never had?

Corona Light

Yards Philly Pale Ale

Dont really have a 3rd. Maybe PBC Kenzinger.

Oh so it's more manly to drink a weak ass shitty beer that resembles beer flavored water more than anything?

That's like saying it's less manly to use seasoning on food

I bet you put ketchup on steak

Modus Mandarina

Brickstone APA

Never heard of the first two. Grapefruit Sculpin is one of my favorites as well.

So hard to pin down top 3, but probably would go with:

1. Pliny the Elder (haven't had it in forever since Russian River stopped distribution to WA :mad:)

2. Fremont Barrel Aged Dark Star

3. Stone Ruination

:cheers:

• Like 1

When I drink beer, I've limited my choices to Mich Ultra and Corona Premium. Not great tasting but, tolerable, while limiting calories and carbs.

Staying lean isn't as easy as it was when I was younger. Not interested in beer guts or Dad bods.

When I drink beer, I've limited my choices to Mich Ultra and Corona Premium. Not great tasting but, tolerable, while limiting calories and carbs.

Staying lean isn't as easy as it was when I was younger. Not interested in beer guts or Dad bods.

So you only go for young hot dudes? Whew!

Agreed. I drink almost nothing but Corona Light. I also get hung over if I have more than 4. Getting old sucks.

Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout

Founder's Porter

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald

Honorable mention: North Peak's Diabolical IPA

Never heard of the first two. Grapefruit Sculpin is one of my favorites as well.

So hard to pin down top 3, but probably would go with:

1. Pliny the Elder (haven't had it in forever since Russian River stopped distribution to WA :mad:)

2. Fremont Barrel Aged Dark Star

3. Stone Ruination

:cheers:

We head out to Calif almost yearly and stop at Russian River. Pliny the Elder is a must have. We're gonna figure out how to fly back a case this year. We never get there for Pliny the younger, which is supposed to be even better

We head out to Calif almost yearly and stop at Russian River. Pliny the Elder is a must have. We're gonna figure out how to fly back a case this year. We never get there for Pliny the younger, which is supposed to be even better

I live about 20 minutes from RR. not my style of bier but very good.

Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA

Founder's seasonal Backwoods Bastard

Miller Lite :dunno:

• Like 1

Modus Mandarina

Brickstone APA

another +1 for Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin