Sign in to follow this  
sderk

On this day in history - Apollo 12

Pretty interesting read if you are into it:

The Forgotten True Story of Alan Bean's Unlikely Journey to the Moon

Before he got there, the astronaut had to survive his first, hectic launch into space and help the crew find the right way to the moon in a forgotten episode he later remarked “was one of my finer hours." Here is that story.

It is November 14, 1969, and Alan Bean is about to be launched into space for the first time in his career.

He’s seated inside the Command and Service Module of Apollo 12, the Yankee Clipper. Beneath him, five huge engines are roaring and producing 7.6 million pounds of thrust. “Boy, there's no doubt in your mind when that thing lifts off,” Bean will later comment to his crewmates. “That bltch hauls out.”

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a20950226/alan-bean-apollo-12-launch/

I'd have to do some research, but NPR did a show on one of the guys who circle the Earth but didn't go to the Moon. The dude was the most laid-back guy in the world. They asked him if you'd rather not go to the moon and use like why would I want to do that? Basically boiled down to being in the astronaut program men's he got a little bit extra money in his paycheck and didn't have to go to Vietnam.

This guy just could not be rattled. He was hysterical without even trying to be.

If anybody knows what I'm talking about, I think it was either all things considered or This American Life or something like that. Really well done.

All he wanted to do was get back to his wife. The moon didn't mean diick to him.

Kind of sweetly romantic that way.

more gubment lies