Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Health issues

God, this bored is depressing.

This. The political b1tchfests are bad enough. Now everyone is dying too, sad :(

This. The political b1tchfests are bad enough. Now everyone is dying too, sad :(

With the long hours working, the exercising and the weight loss I'm going to guess that you need more sodium in your diet. Could help with the dizziness.

How do you like them apples Dr. Pen?

PCS is very likely since jammed your head into a ladder not too long ago.

With the long hours working, the exercising and the weight loss I'm going to guess that you need more sodium in your diet. Could help with the dizziness.

How do you like them apples Dr. Pen?

PCS is very likely since jammed your head into a ladder not too long ago.

Meh. The typical American diet has plenty. I'm sure his doc checked vital signs; coupled with a good physical exam he should be able to determine if he's dehydrated. It's easy enough to get some blood work to check though.

God is getting even with him for having a wife AND a girlfriend. :o

• Like 1

It amazes me how much knowledge this guy has in his head.

Especially the part where he informs us that some diseases have symptoms.

This isn't true - both can be harmful, but the risks are low. People have adverse reactions to gadolinium used in some MRIs which can be life threatening. CT scans involve radiation exposure, but a single head scan isn't that much - comparable to about 8 months of background radiation in the environment.

You should ask you doctor questions, but don't demand tests that aren't indicated. Let your doctor do his/her job.

radiation from scans are cumulative. Ive had plenty of both and mri is my choice if there is one and doc agees i can do either one in my case. If it's a good doc he shouldn't just be saying do what I tell you. There should be a conversation and there may be other options he's not thinking of at the moment. Docs are humans too and if the clock is ticking for him to get to his next pt then you better go in armed with questions before he's out the door. If it turns out to be something serious you have to question, maybe get a second opinion. Where do you get the questions? Not just internet but people who have the same diagnosis. I've seen instances where someone's doc seems to be down playing symptoms. Pt demands a scan and there it is. To put your care completely up to your doc isn't participating in your own healthcare. Not saying this is the case here but I fired my first onc when it wasn't his protocol to do CT scans before starting chemo. Never thought of that but thanks to other pts it's to rule out stage IV. If i was really stage iv then sx doesn't happen for most and it'd either be an AI or different chemos.Thankfully these days you can connect with people who have the same diagnosis to get info from someone who's been there. You don't just demand a test unless you've researched it or what doc has said to do isn't helping you.

radiation from scans are cumulative. Ive had plenty of both and mri is my choice if there is one and doc agees i can do either one in my case. If it's a good doc he shouldn't just be saying do what I tell you. There should be a conversation and there may be other options he's not thinking of at the moment. Docs are humans too and if the clock is ticking for him to get to his next pt then you better go in armed with questions before he's out the door. If it turns out to be something serious you have to question, maybe get a second opinion. Where do you get the questions? Not just internet but people who have the same diagnosis. I've seen instances where someone's doc seems to be down playing symptoms. Pt demands a scan and there it is. To put your care completely up to your doc isn't participating in your own healthcare. Not saying this is the case here but I fired my first onc when it wasn't his protocol to do CT scans before starting chemo. Never thought of that but thanks to other pts it's to rule out stage IV. If i was really stage iv then sx doesn't happen for most and it'd either be an AI or different chemos.Thankfully these days you can connect with people who have the same diagnosis to get info from someone who's been there. You don't just demand a test unless you've researched it and what doc has said to do isn't helping you.

I'm not saying the doctor shouldn't involve patients in decisions regarding their care - of course they should. But there is a tremendous amount of misinformation out there, both on the internet and anecdotal stories from people with no medical training. While doctors make errors, too, ultimately you need to trust your doctor's decision making, or get another doctor.

As far as CT vs. MRI, there are specific indications for both tests. In someone with cancer who's likely to get serial tests, cumulative radiation exposure can be an issue. But that is unlikely to be the case here, and a CT is a good initial screen for serious brain pathology. If we did MRIs in every situation where a CT would suffice, our bloated medical expenditures would further increase. Like it or not, cost is also a consideration in every medical decision.

Meh. The typical American diet has plenty. I'm sure his doc checked vital signs; coupled with a good physical exam he should be able to determine if he's dehydrated. It's easy enough to get some blood work to check though.

I had a blood test before I saw him. Everything but Vitamin D levels were excellent. Now don't ask me to recite all that he checked.

I got vertigo from looking up repeatedly while painting a ceiling.

I had a blood test before I saw him. Everything but Vitamin D levels were excellent. Now don't ask me to recite all that he checked.

The vitamin D test is horseshiot. I tested low, even tho I live in Phoenix and spend a lot of time outside. So I took a supplement that was a bazillion % over the recommended amount for a year, and at my next checkup I was still low. :rolleyes:

The vitamin D test is horseshiot. I tested low, even tho I live in Phoenix and spend a lot of time outside. So I took a supplement that was a bazillion % over the recommended amount for a year, and at my next checkup I was still low. :rolleyes:

If you wear sunscreen (which you should), the ability to synthesize vitamin D from sun exposure is impaired. It's also possible you took a supplement which wasn't formulated appropriately, or your body's ability to absorb dietary Vitamin D is impaired. Hyperthyroidism and other diseases promote Vitamin D deficiency, and some medications promote low levels as well.

If you wear sunscreen (which you should), the ability to synthesize vitamin D from sun exposure is impaired. It's also possible you took a supplement which wasn't formulated appropriately, or your body's ability to absorb dietary Vitamin D is impaired. Hyperthyroidism and other diseases promote Vitamin D deficiency, and some medications promote low levels as well.

I wear sunscreen if I'm out for an extended period (golf, pool) but I do enough small tasks outside that I'm confident I get enough sun exposure. And my tan by the end of summer shows it.

I wear sunscreen if I'm out for an extended period (golf, pool) but I do enough small tasks outside that I'm confident I get enough sun exposure. And my tan by the end of summer shows it.

Despite what you think, your vitamin D levels suggest otherwise :dunno:

Or are you suggesting the doctor just check out your tan and give you a clean bill of health?

• Like 1

Nothing supplement related. I actually stopped taking all supplements to see if this would go away, and I wasn't taking anything out of the ordinary anyway.

I too am Vitamin D defficient. My doc wants me to take 5000 iu of vitamin D a day, when the upper limit I have seen online is about 4000

I had low vitamin D as well. They think I have a hyperparathyroid. I am relatively asymptomatic, so I am not going under the knife. Vitamin supplements have worked for me. :dunno:

Nothing supplement related. I actually stopped taking all supplements to see if this would go away, and I wasn't taking anything out of the ordinary anyway.

I too am Vitamin D defficient. My doc wants me to take 5000 iu of vitamin D a day, when the upper limit I have seen online is about 4000

some are rxd 5000 iu. That's what I take daily.

I am not donating any money to you. :nono:

Nice try

• Like 1

Same here Im on 2000iu a day plus whats in my multivitamin so 2500-3000 or so I guess

Despite what you think, your vitamin D levels suggest otherwise :dunno:

Or are you suggesting the doctor just check out your tan and give you a clean bill of health?

Well, seemingly every poster here who has been tested has low vitamin D, and most of us no other problems. So either we are all low or the test is off. Occams Razor suggests the latter.

Also I took 10000 IUs for a year with no change.

Doc ordered me an MRI, next Wednesday

Let the healing begin. Unburden yourself of guilt by sharing this story of the side piece that is crushing your health, my son.

:lol:

Let the healing begin. Unburden yourself of guilt by sharing this story of the side piece that is crushing your health, my son.

:lol:

He's dating tj bookers wife on the side.

Hope everything turns out ok. Whatever it is it probably will turn out fine.

I will say going through a divorce is stressful enough. Doing it while still living with the future ex sounds like hell on earth. I would move into someones basement or live in a box under a bridge before I would do that. I do not care if you get along or not. That would be enough to cause any symptoms.

• Like 1

Well, seemingly every poster here who has been tested has low vitamin D, and most of us no other problems. So either we are all low or the test is off. Occams Razor suggests the latter.

Also I took 10000 IUs for a year with no change.

Vitamin D deficiency is thought to be common, though the blood test results can be misinterpreted. But that wasn't the point of my post - I just wanted to let you know there are reasons your level may remain low despite sun exposure and supplement intake.

Although there is no consensus on optimal levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D as measured in serum, vitamin D deficiency is defined by most experts as a 25-hydroxyvitamin D level of less than 20 ng per milliliter (50 nmol per liter).

With the use of such definitions, it has been estimated that 1 billion people worldwide have vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency.7-12,15-22 According to several studies, 40 to 100% of U.S. and European elderly men and women still living in the community (not in nursing homes) are deficient in vitamin D.7-12,15-22 More than 50% of postmenopausal women taking medication for osteoporosis had suboptimal levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D — below 30 ng per milliliter (75 nmol per liter).12,22

So are all your doctors wrong, or do you have a deficiency that can be asymptomatic early (though you don't know the health history of your fellow D deficient geeks)?

Vitamin D deficiency is thought to be common, though the blood test results can be misinterpreted. But that wasn't the point of my post - I just wanted to let you know there are reasons your level may remain low despite sun exposure and supplement intake.

So are all your doctors wrong, or do you have a deficiency that can be asymptomatic early (though you don't know the health history of your fellow D deficient geeks)?

Let's talk blood pressure. How many new high blood pressure patients did the new guideline create? I hear only 2% more of our population will go on meds.......ugh.

Let's talk blood pressure. How many new high blood pressure patients did the new guideline create? I hear only 2% more of our population will go on meds.......ugh.

What percentage of the population will have a heart attack, stroke or chronic kidney disease, the first, fifth and 9th leading causes of death in the US?

But it is an interesting question. As I mentioned in the other thread, there is a recent study which suggested higher BP thresholds led to better outcomes in elderly patients.

What percentage of the population will have a heart attack, stroke or chronic kidney disease, the first, fifth and 9th leading causes of death in the US?

But it is an interesting question. As I mentioned in the other thread, there is a recent study which suggested higher BP thresholds led to better outcomes in elderly patients.

Better meaning?

I got vertigo from looking up repeatedly while painting a ceiling.

You didn't know what repeatedly means? :dunno:

• Like 1

Better meaning?

Less adverse events from BP medications with similar cardiovascular outcomes to those with more aggressive BP control. According to 2014 guidelines, most people over age 60 had a BP target of < 150/90, compared to < 140/90 for younger people except those with diabetes, kidney disease and/or vascular disease.

Less adverse events from BP medications with similar cardiovascular outcomes to those with more aggressive BP control. According to 2014 guidelines, most people over age 60 had a BP target of < 150/90, compared to < 140/90 for younger people except those with diabetes, kidney disease and/or vascular disease.

Interesting. Contradictory.

Interesting. Contradictory.

Yes and no. There are studies which show improved cardiovascular outcomes with more aggressive BP control (as low as <120 systolic in the SPRINT trial), but the benefit is mitigated in elderly people, as they are also more likely to suffer adverse events from medications - passing out and kidney damage, for example.

Yes and no. There are studies which show improved cardiovascular outcomes with more aggressive BP control (as low as <120 systolic in the SPRINT trial), but the benefit is mitigated in elderly people, as they are also more likely to suffer adverse events from medications - passing out and kidney damage, for example.

Hey, here's a thought. Let's keep the chain of emails establishing the size of our doctor diicks to another place and time.😃