Sign in to follow this  
drobeski

you hate them because they win

Nails it

http://ryan-sawtelle.squarespace.com/web-log/2015/1/23/the-reason-you-hate-the-patriots-is-because-they-win

The Reason You Hate the Patriots is Because they Win.

January 23, 2015

When I was a kid I used to detest the Cowboys. Simply because they kept winning. I was sick of it. I was always rooting for some other teams to make it deep into the playoffs other than the usual suspects.

I wasnt alone.

Im still not alone.

People dont like to see the same teams win year after year. The league doesnt like it either. Thats why winning teams pick late in the draft it gives them a worse talent selection at an attempt to make the teams more even. This is also why the NFL instituted a salary cap to help level the playing field. (See what I did there? Because its football andnevermind.)

But what happens when teams still perform at championship levels year after year even when the steps have been taken to make it more even?

People hate them.

You hate the Patriots because they are good. A dynasty, in fact. Ultimately, thats the reason. All other reasons just stem from this reason.

No. Its because I hate Tom Brady. Then you make a crack about Gisele or Toms Uggs and whatever else you can conjure up which really amounts to the fact that he beats your team year after year and it frustrates you.

No. Its because theyre cheaters.

But thats really not the reason.

Dont misunderstand what Im saying.

You hate the Patriots because they are good. Not because you think theyre cheaters.

You dont care when bad teams cheat. Hell, you dont care when any other team besides the Patriots is accused of cheating. You care more about the Patriots being accused of cheating than other teams actually cheating. It has gotten to that point and its out of hand. The lengths that you will go to justify the Patriots dominance over the last 15 years is laughable.

The Patriots - the team that beats your team on a consistent basis for so long and it just pisses your off.

Youre frustrated.

I get it.

You cant come out and say, I hate the Patriots because theyre good. That would make you look ridiculous. But that shouldnt mean you let your intellectual honesty go flying out the window. Instead, you look for information that confirms your bias against the Patriots its human nature. You cling onto any desperate reason that makes you feel justified in hating them.

Imagine - if you would - a punt return where an opposing gunner is on a full tilt sprint down the field. He is pushed out of bounds by one of the coverage men which is usual. While running up the sideline, coming back in the field of play, Bill Belichick sticks his leg out to intentionally trip the gunner to give his return team a better chance of a return with one less gunner.

Cheating right?

Crazy.

Blatant.

Cheating.

The internet lynch mobs would be relentlessly attacking Belicheat.

Of course, that wasnt Belichick. That was Jets conditioning coach, Sal Alosi, in 2010, tripping up Nolan Carroll as he ran down the sidelines.

"Gamesmanship"

Jets. Cheaters.

Right?

Or does it not matter because they suck and your outrage is selective? And by selective I mean Reserved for the Patriots only.

How about Head Coach Mike Tomlin stepping out onto the field to change the running path of Jacoby Jones in 2013 resulting in a tackle instead of what may have been a touchdown? Cheating or nah?

"Now, if I juuuuuuuuuust....."

Again, imagine your outrage if it was Belichick doing that. There would be calls for year-long suspensions. Ceremonial hoodie burnings throughout the streets.

Well those are isolated, spur-the-moment instances. I mean, they werent thought-out, planned infractions.

Fair enough.

What about when the Denver Broncos were found guilty of moving $29 million illegally off of their salary cap with the contracts of John Elway, Terrell Davis, and others during their Super Bowl years? Blatantly toying with a policy put in place to keep the teams at even spending power.

Cheating?

What if Bob Kraft did that?

Remember when the Seahawks were fined in 2012 and 2014 for violation of the practice rules giving the Seahawks more contact practice time than allowed by other teams in the league? No? Why not?

Not the Patriotsokgot it.

You dont care about cheating. Youre concerned with hating the Patriots because theyre consistently good. You use cheating as one of the many righteous vehicles you have to deliver you to that hate.

Wal*Mart is the retailer that everyone loves to hate. You couldnt care less about their employees compensation package as if thats ever your business. But you latch on to any negative claim that comes out against Wal*Mart because you have to confirm your bias against the retail giant. If you dont you wont sleep soundly at night.

The Patriots are your Wal*Mart.

Fine. But what about Spygate?! <insert scary music>

That was a HUGE deal.

Lets put aside the taping by the Broncos, Jets, Cowboys, Chiefs, Dolphins, etc. and focus on the evil Patriots seeing as how they are the target of your selective outrage.

Read carefully.

Ray Anderson, the NFL head of game operations, sent out a memo to all teams that read:

Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponents offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.

Thats great, Ray. But your memo isnt the rule; The one thats stated in the rulebook; The one that must be voted on by the teams. Pages A105-A106 of the leagues Policy Manual for Member Clubs Volume II: Game Operations 2007 edition: Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations, Section A. reads:

No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.

The ACTUAL rule says nothing about recording offensive or defensive signals and moreover says filming isnt allowed from the field (interpreted as helmet cams, etc) - NOT the sideline as Anderson would write.

Ray Anderson

Yes. Ray Anderson misquoted the rules. But Andersons new rule must be ratified by at least 75% of the team owners. This goes for rule changes. Does Goodell, Anderson, et al have the right to adjust the rules on the fly as they deem fit without team ratification? Apparently so.

Belichick argued Article IX of the NFL Constitution and By-laws which reads:

Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.

This states that the use of any sort of taped information is illegal for use during the game THAT day. Belichick argued that his filming was never used for THAT day (which was later corroborated by the video tech and Goodell).

The NFL cited the memo's misquoted rules instead of the ACTUAL rules when it made its accusations and subsequent punishment against the Patriots.

Filming opponents signals was never illegal and wasnt even after the Patriots did it. (In 2008, defensive captains were allowed helmet communication to the sidelines - same as quarterbacks.)

Roger Goodell

The rules do not matter. Goodell and his office specifically told the teams NOT to do it and that evil, insubordinate Belichick decided that he would stick to the rulebook you know, the actual rule - and Goodell took that as a slap in the face to his authority.

It was a battle of egos.

Thats your Spygate.

Thats what this entire circus was about.

Horrifying. I know.

People still think this is a scandal.

Any football fan that devotes a little bit of time into researching this issue can see it was much ado about nothing.

But youre not interested in that.

You hate the Patriots because they win. If you scream SPYGATE loud enough it justifies your hatred.

(Sidenote: How does one Spy out in the open?)

(Sidenote again: Patriots winning percentage during Spygate was 67% - after Spygate 78% - your Spygate argument is invalid).

From this ever-egregious infraction, the amount of accusations that have been concocted could fill up an entire show on Coast to Coast radio. They MUST still be cheating to have so much success. So let the accusations begin:

- Filmed walkthrough practices of opposing teams

- Stole/jammed opponents wireless audio signals

- Secret microphones on shoulder pads to pick up on-field signals

- Received opponents offensive playbooks

- Towel boy spies in opponents locker room

- TV in the Gillette Stadium parking lot that can be seen from inside the stadium by Belichick from the sideline that helps him determine whether or not to throw a challenge flag (Im not joking Sports Illustrated actually accused him of that).

Bill Belichick probably watching a TV in the parking lot with his bionic eyes.

Now we have DeflateGate.

This is your golden calf.

Clearly a sign of individuals trying to take small advantages in a game. Kind of like when the Broncos offensive line was fined for covering themselves in Vaseline to offset the ability of their opponent during their Super Bowl season. Remember that embarrassing press conference? Me neither.

As of this writing there hasnt been an official word from the NFL on this. We are waiting to hear all of the facts.

But the facts dont matter to youthis is your wet dream. You feel it justifies all of your irrational hatred.

Its like you just heard that Monsantos CEO gave birth to an alien baby caused by its own pesticides.

You love this.

You dont need to know the facts of the case. Your mind was made up the moment the accusation was made.

These are the Patriots were talking about.

You hate them because they consistently win.

I guess thinking that makes the Patriots, and their fans, feel better. :dunno:

The Chicago bulls won more, I don't remember people hating them to the level of the patriots.

People hate them because they're constantly involved with some drama and when confronted, they get cocky about it.

The Chicago bulls won more, I don't remember people hating them to the level of the patriots.

People hate them because they're constantly involved with some drama and when confronted, they get cocky about it.

Michael Jordan was the most entertaining basketball player to ever play the game. Or who will ever play the game. It wasn't possible to hate him.

I think it's that people had more dignity back then. Knicks fans, Pacers fans, Cavs fans...they all hated the Bulls because they couldn't beat them on the court. But they knew they were up against greatness, so they took their lumps rather than sobbing to the league and the media about it like crybaby little kunts :dunno:

Dr Obeski, It's about time you found your balls. Deflated or not. When this whole thing broke, you went into liberal mode of deny deny deny. Hell, you and worms were indistinguishable for the past two weeks. Good to see you finally get it and don't give a fock about others. I believe it started with the avatar.

About time.

Michael Jordan was the most entertaining basketball player to ever play the game. Or who will ever play the game. It wasn't possible to hate him.

phil Jackson gave the media what bellichick won't. Sadly it's as simple as that.

Dr Obeski, It's about time you found your balls. Deflated or not. When this whole thing broke, you went into liberal mode of deny deny deny. Hell, you and worms were indistinguishable for the past two weeks. Good to see you finally get it and don't give a fock about others. I believe it started with the avatar.

About time.

Drobs didn't allow himself to fall into false promise of the 99%ers who believe lies and live for BS excuses.

Drobs stood tall above the idiocy and has emerged victorious :pointstosky:

About time.

I have maintained throughout if they did it they should be punished.

But I don't think they did anything.

Speaking of growing balls.

Just man up and admit they are great, and have been.

If you're gonna call them cheaters, first of all prove it, then call all of the cheaters out.

Do it, man up, grow a sack and admit it.

You hate them because they win.

If you're gonna call them cheaters, first of all prove it, then call all of the cheaters out.

Bandwagon haters by definition aren't independent thinkers. You are asking a housecat to do calculus

Well, I guess I was wrong. You don't 'get it'. The reason there is a 33 page thread isn't because of 'hate' it's because you rubes take it like you do. :doh:

Bulls. 49ers. SF Giants right now in baseball.

Hmmm, all more dominant than the Pats are, who haven't won sh!t in over a decade. Yet I don't recall any of them being hated.

Next theory?

Well, I guess I was wrong. You don't 'get it'. The reason there is a 33 page thread isn't because of 'hate' it's because you rubes take it like you do. :doh:

It's because dumbeski is a thin skinned crybaby phaggot about his scumbag cheater team.

It was the weather!

Aaron Rodgers

Ray Lewis

The nfl and media made it up

phil Jackson gave the media what bellichick won't. Sadly it's as simple as that.

A quality winning organization with class and ethics?

I have to agree. :thumbsup:

True about the fanbase. Other than Bellichick, none of the players have been really dislikable during this whole era. The fact that they got caught cheating turned their fanbase into defensive ass holes. I guess knowing that the rest of the country has an asterisk on their accomplishments can give you a complex.

I say fock Michael Jordan. I hope to this day that he lands on someones foot in a pickup game and breaks his focking leg in 73 places

Phil Jackson was a whiny focking when it came to the Pistons.

True about the fanbase. Other than Bellichick, none of the players have been really dislikable during this whole era. The fact that they got caught cheating turned their fanbase into defensive ass holes. I guess knowing that the rest of the country has an asterisk on their accomplishments can give you a complex.

Yes, but Brady has been shown to be a massive d!ckhead as well.......

SF Giants right now in baseball.

Hmmm, all more dominant than the Pats are, who haven't won sh!t in over a decade. Yet I don't recall any of them being hated.

Next theory?

As a KC fan I focking hate the Giants

I'm a Mavs fan. Big time rivals of the Spurs, who have actually won something in the past decade. I don't hate them for winning. In fact, I respect them for doing it the right way.

This game better get here quick, or Drob's meltdown is gonna be epic.

Sure it was... Very easy to do so...

I'm a Mavs fan. Big time rivals of the Spurs, who have actually won something in the past decade. I don't hate them for winning. In fact, I respect them for doing it the right way.

This game better get here quick, or Drob's meltdown is gonna be epic.

The Mavs won a championship just a few years ago.

I guess we around here hate the Steelers most of all, rivalry and what not, and generally dislike the Redskins; again proximity.

I think there is a general dislike, to a varying degree, of the Patriots because they are perceived to be cheaters and arrogant.

Ya hate them because they win.

Proven chronologically in that article. Dispute the facts or admit it.

We hate them because they last won a SB 10 years ago?

Weird.

They didn't win jack sh1t and Pats fans know it.

The Mavs won a championship just a few years ago.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but the Spurs are pretty much the closest thing the NBA has to a dynasty.

Delusional Pats fans think they are still a dynasty despite the fact they haven't won spit in over a decade.

I think I'm going to go back and start hating all the major sports teams that won championships ten years ago.

I knew they wouldn't be able to handle this piece which clearly points out their sad pathetic hypocrisy.

:first:

Ya hate them because they win :)

I think I'm going to go back and start hating all the major sports teams that won championships ten years ago.

Rocky snorted HGH

I knew they wouldn't be able to handle this piece which clearly points out their sad pathetic hypocrisy.

:first:

Ya hate them because they win 10 years ago :)

Fixed.

HTH

The Bulls maybe? That sounds like a good one... :first: