Sign in to follow this  
crackattack

MLB offseason

What's your team's needs and what you'd like to see happen?

Indians:

1. Rumors are looking at moving Kluber or Bauer or both. Also trade rumors with Encarnacion and Kipnis (thank God on Kipnis).

2. Bullpen help since Miller and Allen won't be back.

3. Outfield help with Brantley leaving and Naquin and Zimmer, top 2 outfield prospects, not progressing enough...yet.

4. 2nd basemen if Kipnis is moved.

5. 1st base backup (Alanso) if Edwin is moved.

6. Starting pitching. Not a huge necessity, but a better 4 or 5. Will be a necessity depending on Kluber or Bauer being moved.

Talk of indians signing McCutchen. That might be their big free agent splash since they typically aren't big spenders. I hope they don't move on a 32 y/o AM. Spend that money elsewhere on younger talent.

Don't want to see the Yankees sign Machado. A-Rod all over again. Maybe worse.

Nats picking up Corbin will be the signing of the offseason. Dude is right there with Sale and Kershaw for 2/3 the price and no one knows who he is.

Added: Harper is a complete head case (in the nicest possible way). If he signs outside of DC,he may be the biggest FA flop in history.

Indians:

1. Rumors are looking at moving Kluber or Bauer or both. Also trade rumors with Encarnacion and Kipnis (thank God on Kipnis).

3. Outfield help with Brantley leaving and Naquin and Zimmer, top 2 outfield prospects, not progressing enough...yet.

6. Starting pitching. Not a huge necessity, but a better 4 or 5. Will be a necessity depending on Kluber or Bauer being moved.

Talk of indians signing McCutchen. That might be their big free agent splash since they typically aren't big spenders. I hope they don't move on a 32 y/o AM. Spend that money elsewhere on younger talent.

Edwin played 23 games at 1b last year

Cubs need:

a healthy Bryant, Darvish and Morrow

2-3 from this group need to hit .280- 300 Contreras, Almora, Happ, Heyward, Schwarber. (If they all stay)

An elite closer so Morrow and Strop can be set up guys.

Dump Edwards Jr.

Pass on Bryce Harper

Cubs need:

a healthy Bryant, Darvish and Morrow

2-3 from this group need to hit .280- 300 Contreras, Almora, Happ, Heyward, Schwarber. (If they all stay)

An elite closer so Morrow and Strop can be set up guys.

Dump Edwards Jr.

Pass on Bryce Harper

Morrow recently had a procedure on his pitching elbow and it looks like he might not be ready for the start of the season. Epstien mentioned Bryant's outlook is coming along very well.

Edwin played 23 games at 1b last year

I knew it was a small amount of games. Yandy Diaz is also rumored to be on the trading block with Edwin. I should've added him. If they move both, they need a DH and a backup 1b.

Mets first team out of the gate. Would love Realamuto (sp??)

But not for Nimmo or Conforto. Dont do it Brodie

Indians:

Padres and Indians could be dealing again and are a really good match

something like Renfroe and Yates for Bauer and taking on Kipnis contract

as far as Tribe needing 2B, naw, they already planned on Ramirez playing 2B this year, with Yandy at 3rd, thats why Kipnis is planned in CF as of now

McCutcheon 3 years 50 million from the Phillies. Nice player, but damn.

McCutcheon 3 years 50 million from the Phillies. Nice player, but damn.

Im shocked to see the Yankees overspending.

Red Sox need to address closer role.

Signed Eovaldi to address a longer-term need for starting pitching with Sale and Porcello being FA's after this season.

Signed Pearce as a short-term piece

Need to address Bogaerts and Martinez since both will likely be FA's after the season as well.

Betts is coming up for FA after 2020, so that will need to be planned for as well

​nothing in the system to get excited about. Enjoy the WS win last season and hope they can somehow have the same magic for one more season. :dunno:

Trade anyone you can get prospects for. Not much on the roster that would fetch anything besides Nick Castellanos. contract aside, Miggy would, but I don't see anyone giving up a ton for him even if the Tigers eat a bunch of his salary.

Contract aside, Miggy would, but I don't see anyone giving up a ton for him even if the Tigers eat a bunch of his salary.

$154M left, the Tigers would take a baloney sandwich to dump $50M of it.

• Like 1

Im shocked to see the Yankees overspending.

The Phillies. Another jealous Yankee hater literally blinded by rage.

Red Sox need to address closer role.

Signed Eovaldi to address a longer-term need for starting pitching with Sale and Porcello being FA's after this season.

Signed Pearce as a short-term piece

Need to address Bogaerts and Martinez since both will likely be FA's after the season as well.

Betts is coming up for FA after 2020, so that will need to be planned for as well

​nothing in the system to get excited about. Enjoy the WS win last season and hope they can somehow have the same magic for one more season. :dunno:

Best roster in baseball. Having a back up closer or co-closer might be a good idea.

Call Lou Brown at Tire World and see if he'll manage the club.

Gee, I don't know...

Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls.

• Like 1

O's top priority will be extending Chris Davis.

Over an alligator pit. <_<

Uhh

No

They have an ace and Hoskins, thats really it. None of the other young players (Crawford, Kingery, Alfaro etc.) showed much last year. Franco and Odubel basically are what they are at this point. Tons of cash to throw around is their primary asset at this point.

They probably were closer to a 75 win than 85 win team last year on actual talent. Short of throwing stupid money at Machado and Harper I really dont see a path forward to competing next season. They do have some excellent pitching prospects who are a year or two away. The batting lineup is really bad.

:dunno:

I do not want to see Thor in pinstripes- not even for Justin Timberlake Realamuto

They also added Segura who is very dynamic

They are far from a mess and have a lot of spending money

Thats all they have though. A 4-5 year rebuild and supposedly revamped farm system has netted the Phils a slugging 1B and ace pitcher, plus a bunch of JAGs. Their most promising young players outside of Rhys and Nola are probably Alfaro or Roman Quinn. Thats not nearly enough for the fire sale and rebuilding so long.

Now their only hope at making a major leap is to go buy a team. I liked the Segura trade because hes a short term upgrade on JO and they got rid of Santana. Then they go throw 3/$50 to add an over the hill OF to a crowded OF.

Basically theyve failed to develop homegrown talent so now they have to buy a team. Unless they land Machado or JP I think the best theyll do is add a bunch of overpriced vets and go around .500. :dunno:

I'll take ya up on the .500 line

Thats going to depend on what happens the rest of the offseason. Right now Id put the floor at 75 with a ceiling of 85 wins. That wont get the Phillies into the playoffs.

Short of throwing stupid money at Machado and Harper I really dont see a path forward to competing next season.

Better to throw more to Machado than throw a dime to Bryce. The Harper derby is a fool's errand.

Better to throw more to Machado than throw a dime to Bryce. The Harper derby is a fool's errand.

I agree

I agree

Here in DC, we have a front row seat to the Boros led Harper derby and it's quite obvious there are no takers at his price. Boros is going crazy. Last week the Nats owner basically said. "we offered Bryce as high as we can afford and we wish him well". The underlying statement being, "we are out". Boros came out, very oddly, and said "we never said no, we are just weighing our options!". He was using the Nats offer for leverage and it disappeared. Fock him.

Here in DC, we have a front row seat to the Boros led Harper derby and it's quite obvious there are no takers at his price. Boros is going crazy. Last week the Nats owner basically said. "we offered Bryce as high as we can afford and we wish him well". The underlying statement being, "we are out". Boros came out, very oddly, and said "we never said no, we are just weighing our options!". He was using the Nats offer for leverage and it disappeared. Fock him.

I have come around on Machado being the true prize. I was a little put off by his attitude but I think hes got more upside and hed be a bigger upgrade for PHL.

If not Machado though the Phils should sign Bryce. He probably wont be worth the deal but they desperately need an upgrade in the order and frankly its just $ and the ownership group will spend whatever it takes and dont care.

Yankees re-sign Happ. And that completes their rotation. Now to shore up the bullpen with excoected departures coming, get a SS until Dee Dee is back. Don't want Machado, think it would be a big mistake down the line. Maybe right away. Good

Pitching staff, no clear ace though.

baseball sucks

Yankees re-sign Happ. And that completes their rotation. Now to shore up the bullpen with excoected departures coming, get a SS until Dee Dee is back. Don't want Machado, think it would be a big mistake down the line. Maybe right away. Good

Pitching staff, no clear ace though.

A three-year deal for a 36-year-old? Seems like throwing away money there...

for some reason, the welltodo teams, just assume the last 2 or 3 years of a deal they will be paying for a player that sucks

Not a power pitcher. It's a good get considering the market. Better than Keuchel