Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***80s Music Thread Vote Here***

Which list of songs do you like best?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. In Bracket One, Who's list of songs do you like best?

• RaiderHater
    • Hardcore Troubadour
    • Vuduchile
    • edjr
    • Fandandy
    • Shotsup
  2. 2. In Bracket Two, Who's list of songs do you like best?

• cruzer
    • dain11279
    • nzoner
    • SUXBNME
    • Voltaire
    • Titans

Death or Glory, Wrong Emboyo and Brand New Cadillac blow away TIV and London Calling

whole album is amazing..Guns of Brixton and Revolution Rock with the reggae style

whole album is amazing..Guns of Brixton and Revolution Rock with the reggae style

I think London Calling is one of the weaker tunes. Still great tough

Settled on edjr and Voltaire...

Not that anyone else really cares...

I do care. I care that you didn't pick mine. Dammit.

:mad:

Released December 79... So TBBOM is pulling one off on us....

But that explains it. When I was eight years old, I was listening to either my mom's eight tracks in her car or country music on the radio in my dad's truck. We didn't have cable until maybe '82. I never heard it.

Then, when the 90s music turned out to be so disappointing, to find new stuff, I started trying to rediscover some music from the 70s. But I was only interested in listening to good music. If I'd wanted crap like this, I'd have stuck with the 90s.

I pointed that out a couple of pages back.

Gotta weigh in on Rapture. It had zero influence on rap. It's just some poorly put together nonsense at the END of the song. Its not like the stations that played Blondie started playing Rap. It was just a novelty to the people that listened to that type music. And had no cross over affect.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2608

Debbie Harry says that a lot of rappers - including members of Mobb Deep and Wu-Tang Clan - told her it was the first rap song they ever heard, since the genre wasn't welcome on the radio then.

Until this came out, rappers always used existing songs as the basis for the music they would rap over. They usually took disco or soul records and looped the beats to extend the breaks. Debbie Harry's rap in this was nothing special, but it was the first rap in a song that had its own original music.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2608

Debbie Harry says that a lot of rappers - including members of Mobb Deep and Wu-Tang Clan - told her it was the first rap song they ever heard, since the genre wasn't welcome on the radio then.

Until this came out, rappers always used existing songs as the basis for the music they would rap over. They usually took disco or soul records and looped the beats to extend the breaks. Debbie Harry's rap in this was nothing special, but it was the first rap in a song that had its own original music.

First song they ever heard? Get the fock out of here. If I heard rap before this, they damn sure did. They were being nice. Maybe it's the first rap they heard on pop/rock radio. But rap was up and running before this. And like I said, no affect on it being played on the stations that played Blondie

First song they ever heard? Get the fock out of here. If I heard rap before this, they damn sure did. They were being nice. Maybe it's the first rap they heard on pop/rock radio. But rap was up and running before this. And like I said, no affect on it being played on the stations that played Blondie

I don't pretend to know anything about rap or rap origins or which artists inspired which. I do know I'd say or do just about anything to spread open Debbie Harry's thighs.

I don't pretend to know anything about rap or rap origins or which artists inspired which. I do know I'd say or do just about anything to spread open Debbie Harry's thighs.

I was extremely disappointed when I went to the pharmacy and snuck a peek of her in Penthouse.

My criteria for the winner was as follows:

1. A list of songs that's easily recognizable as 80s music

2. A list that, were I to be stranded on a deserted island with a group of 16 songs on an endless loop, would least likely make me want to kill myself

nzoner wins, with shots 2nd

• Like 1

I do care. I care that you didn't pick mine. Dammit.

:mad:

Actually it was between you and edjr for that first bracket...

Its all right there on songfacts. Its not like the source was foxnews, cnn or the onion.

More here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-40-biggest-hip-hop-moments-in-pop-culture-history/

Rapture" came at a weirdly perfect time as it wasn't just the first video featuring rap on MTV, but was a video in MTV's first real "rotation," where it stayed for a few months. In other words, eyes from all over the country saw this young white woman doing the "hip-hop" thing

At the time, it was neither an abomination nor a momentous occasion, but just a weird rock thing that was, if not amusing, then actually fairly cool. The video helped cement Blondie's place as one of the more progressive bands in contemporary rock, and set the precedent for rock embracing hip-hop (and vice-versa).

Actually it was between you and edjr for that first bracket...

:wub:

My criteria for the winner was as follows:

1. A list of songs that's easily recognizable as 80s music

2. A list that, were I to be stranded on a deserted island with a group of 16 songs on an endless loop, would least likely make me want to kill myself

nzoner wins, with shots 2nd

Thank You :cheers:

I was extremely disappointed when I went to the pharmacy and snuck a peek of her in Penthouse.

Grr.... Computer is in the shop and without the VPN the Chinese filters kick in :mad:

It might be ready, I'd have to get off my ass and go.

This seems unpossible, but I'm just now realizing she was 38 in 1980 so it's not out of the realm of possibility. She's still hot in the videos seems to me.

Today or 1980 ?

Grr.... Computer is in the shop and without the VPN the Chinese filters kick in :mad:

It might be ready, I'd have to get off my ass and go.

This seems unpossible, but I'm just now realizing she was 38 in 1980 so it's not out of the realm of possibility. She's still hot in the videos seems to me.

I didn't even try to steal it. And I was a pretty good shoplifter.

Its all right there on songfacts. Its not like the source was foxnews, cnn or the onion.

More here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/music/2013/03/the-40-biggest-hip-hop-moments-in-pop-culture-history/

I scrolled through that hoping to find something specific and I did

8. Run-DMC Walks Aerosmith's Way

The Impact: The song exploded. It became the first rap song to break the top five on the Billboard 100, charting all the way to the fourth spot (higher than Aerosmith's original ever did).

The Upshot: The track remains one of the most famous cover songs of all time, and the most early precedent of rock and rap acts mixing together successfully. It also spawned a memorable video, which tends to rank about as high and as often on rap lists, rock lists, and '80s lists as the song itself does.

Said it a few times before but Steven Tyler was rapping in the original '75 song that's why this song was a natural and exploded the way it did.

• Like 1

Today or 1980 ?

That's a tricky question. I'm imagining adult me with 1980 Debbie. I'm not sure 9 year old me would have been up to the task, but I do know I was attracted to my kindergarten classmate girls when I was five, so by the age of nine, while I may not have known what goes where, lots and lots of kisses would at least be in order.

Some of you are running a worse campaign than hillary

The Impact: The song exploded. It became the first rap song to break the top five on the Billboard 100, charting all the way to the fourth spot (higher than Aerosmith's original ever did).

The Upshot: The track remains one of the most famous cover songs of all time, and the most early precedent of rock and rap acts mixing together successfully. It also spawned a memorable video, which tends to rank about as high and as often on rap lists, rock lists, and '80s lists as the song itself does.

Said it a few times before but Steven Tyler was rapping in the original '75 song that's why this song was a natural and exploded the way it did.

While that song was a breakthrough, Anthrax and Public Enemy perfected it

Yeaaaaa, Boyyyy :headbanger:

Great collaboration

Music debate! oh ooh ooh oh, I will be moderator.

I was on the debate team in high school.

Everyone called me the Master Debater

Take the"de" out and I would understand.

Take the"de" out and I would understand.

That's the joke, buddy. No need to take out the de.

Snagged it in the 9th round. :headbanger:

That's the joke, buddy. No need to take out the de.

We hear you like the D

We hear you like the D

Mike D

MMM DROP!!!

• Like 1

80's music was so bad, not a single drafter has more than 2-3 decent songs.

Go back under your bridge, troll

Some were so close I had to give the nod to the guy who had the least irritating song. For instance RaiderHater had a good list but Abracadabra, man that one is like fingernails on a chalk board.

Edjr and Cruzer.

Cruzer edged Voltaire because he had 3 songs that are on rotation in my car. I Ran, Ghost In You and I Melt With You.

Some were so close I had to give the nod to the guy who had the least irritating song. For instance RaiderHater had a good list but Abracadabra, man that one is like fingernails on a chalk board.

Edjr and Cruzer.

Cruzer edged Voltaire because he had 3 songs that are on rotation in my car. I Ran, Ghost In You and I Melt With You.

So Abracadabra is like fingernails on a chalkboard and yet 867-5309 AND Mickey together are not?

To each their own

Drum roll... voted vudu and dain. Congrats on awesome lists. :cheers:

Also I was never a fan of punk but I can't imagine growing up in that decade and not knowing London Calling, or any of the major Clash, Cure, Smiths, etc. songs. If you went to parties anyway. :dunno:

• Like 1

So Abracadabra is like fingernails on a chalkboard and yet 867-5309 AND Mickey together are not?

To each their own

Tell me about it.

Stud

Drum roll... voted vudu and dain. Congrats on awesome lists. :cheers:

Also I was never a fan of punk but I can't imagine growing up in that decade and not knowing London Calling, or any of the major Clash, Cure, Smiths, etc. songs. If you went to parties anyway. :dunno:

Grassy ass.

Stay tuned for the 70s. Ive been listening to a lot of 70s stuff in the past few months since my 10 yr old is into it.

Its hard to believe how many great songs there are. I even told Alexa to play an entire album from that era today while I was cooking. Man, did that take me back.

Grassy ass.

Stay tuned for the 70s. Ive been listening to a lot of 70s stuff in the past few months since my 10 yr old is into it.

Its hard to believe how many great songs there are. I even told Alexa to play an entire album from that era today while I was cooking. Man, did that take me back.

230 songs aren't going to make a dent in that great decade