Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Saquon Barkley, Giants

ill try to get back to you on his name, but 1 year I read a book that said if you ever was to take a chance on a sure thing for a Rb this is the guy. he had like 3 TDs the first game and basically done.

I thought he got hurt in the preseason. No? And for sure he was considered a sure fire pick as much as anyone ever. Even bigger than Barkley. But I don't think you can label a guy a bust because of injury.

Sure. Coming from someone who can't recall the Ron Dayne college record setting NFL hype going into his NFL draft. People were saying he was the most complete and sure thing running back there can be. But you argue in retrospect to what he produced in the pros because that is all you got.

And by the way, as crappy as Ron Dayne was, that giants first round pick still has more yards rushing in the NFL than Barkley.

It's easy for someone like you who can only name call as a means for an argument and to talk big talk.

Lighten up Francis.

I thought he got hurt in the preseason. No? And for sure he was considered a sure fire pick as much as anyone ever. Even bigger than Barkley. But I don't think you can lable a guy a bust because of injury.

no injury wasn't the reason

Here is something written about Carter:

"In his first preseason game, Carter blew out his knee on the turf in the Pontiac Silverdome. He missed all of his rookie season, and though he would come back to play four years for the Bengals, he suffered other injuries and would never again possess the physical attributes that made him so special."

So if Barkley blows out his knee in the preseason and then comes back the following year and gets turf toe and other injuries is he a bust? I just think the term 'bust' refers to healthy players that don't live up at all to the expectations that the majority of people put on the player. Plus, I imagine they are better now with healing and rehabilitating major knee injuries than they were when Carter went through his injury.

wow

a rookie, playing behind the Giants Oline, ahead of Gurley and Leveon, gimme some of that good stuff

although I do give you credit for listing Bell twice, cause hes that good

what you are saying is that you think Barkley is going to have one of the best 5 rookie RB seasons of all-time to justify that pick

and while he has the talent and he might, it is highly unlikely

Agree. People think Barkley is superhuman. Hes very talented. But even at Penn State he was bottled ip several games.

He isnt going yo be a top 5 redraft TB this year. At least in my opinion. Thats asking a lot.

"In his first preseason game, Carter blew out his knee on the turf in the Pontiac Silverdome. He missed all of his rookie season, and though he would come back to play four years for the Bengals, he suffered other injuries and would never again possess the physical attributes that made him so special."

So if Barkley blows out his knee in the preseason and then comes back the following year and gets turf toe and other injuries is he a bust? I just think the term 'bust' refers to healthy players that don't live up at all to the expectations that the majority of people put on the player. Plus, I imagine they are better now with healing and rehabilitating major knee injuries than they were when Carter went through his injury.

Somewhere we got side-tracked, I was talking about Lawrence Phillips and u were Ki Jana Carter

I disagree. you can be a bust due to injury.

but that's the kind of bust you dont blame on your scouting or player development.

that has nothing to do with fantasy football. in some cases it's just luck of the draw. It's not something we can readily or easily predict.

Sometimes there are signs of being prone to injury in college, but sometimes there are no signs, and then.... bam big injury and the player is never quite the same after that.

in my keeper league, we keep 3.

I fully expect him to go in the first round of the draft. I also expect he will put up top 10 numbers in his rookie year.

it's tough to predict a rookie will be top 5. while I agree it's possible. I dont know that I'd bet on it.

Agree. People think Barkley is superhuman. Hes very talented. But even at Penn State he was bottled ip several games.

He isnt going yo be a top 5 redraft TB this year. At least in my opinion. Thats asking a lot.

Somewhere we got side-tracked, I was talking about Lawrence Phillips and u were Ki Jana Carter

Yeah. I missed that.

I disagree. you can be a bust due to injury.

but that's the kind of bust you dont blame on your scouting or player development.

that has nothing to do with fantasy football. in some cases it's just luck of the draw. It's not something we can readily or easily predict.

Sometimes there are signs of being prone to injury in college, but sometimes there are no signs, and then.... bam big injury and the player is never quite the same after that.

That's cool. We have different definitions of what a bust is. Can't really compare the two situations if that is the case.

I just find it hard to think players can be the best in football one year, and bust the next because of injury. Then possibly be the best the next year. Let's see what happens to David Johnson this year.

Carter just was unfortunate.

David Johnson was a bust last season.

I think Barkley is moving up the list, expecally for me, in ppr, with the Panthers adding Anderson.

That hurt Mccaffery.

Darn it.

People keep saying they've never seen the hype train quite like it is with Barkley. I disagree. The hype train for RB's is always leaving the station. I traded for the 1st overall pick in a dynasty draft to obtain Barkley, but that said, I have some doubts about him being the next Faulk or Priest Holmes. Penn State has an awful reputation with their RB's that go to the NFL. Barkley ran a LOT out of the shotgun formation in college, so how will he do in the 'I'? In a shotgun, you can see the holes much better and outrun a mistake by an offensive lineman. In the NFL, you aren't going to do that very often. The Giants line wasn't just bad last year, it was flat out offensive. If you aren't aware, Solder is, at best, an average Left Tackle. The Patriots system was perfect for him. He's also NOT known for his run blocking prowess. It's a definite improvement, but too many people haven't seen Solder play and think he's a "great" Tackle. Not by a long-shot.

I'm hoping Barkley becomes the next king of the fantasy football world. I'm not sold yet that it will happen though. Let's see how well he runs between the tackles against NFL players.... I thought enough of him to make a deal, but it doesn't mean I'm not looking at the negatives too. If they move Flowers to Right Tackle, it will mean they have the worst RT in football. Are opposing teams going to overload the left side of the line because they know Barkley isn't cutting to the right? Possibly.

P.S. - I recall the hype train for Fast Willie Parker. That was more of a hype train than most high round rookie running backs receive. Geez, for two solid years the message boards were littered with folks stating they "knew about FWP first". It was insanity. I don't know who you could compare Barkley to. He doesn't seem to have a hole in his game. Anywhere. Why does that scare me?

That's cool. We have different definitions of what a bust is. Can't really compare the two situations if that is the case.

I just find it hard to think players can be the best in football one year, and bust the next because of injury. Then possibly be the best the next year. Let's see what happens to David Johnson this year.

Carter just was unfortunate.

you also have to take the rating in context.

a bust in general is a player who does not come anywhere close to realizing their perceived potential at the time they were drafted.

so in actual football, a first round pick is a bust if they end up not becoming a starter or if they become a starter, but a crappy one.

in fantasy football, there is a bust for Dynasty and a bust for redraft. The two are not necessarily the same.

David Johnson was not a bust in general. he had a couple of great seasons for the cards and missed a season due to injury.

for Dynasty, hes not been a bust either. the person who drafted/kept him got good production out of him. just not for this year.

for redraft, he was likely a top 3 pick and would qualify as a bust for this year as he came nowhere close to fulfilling the promise that a top 3 pick in a redraft usually gives you.

3 different situations, 3 different answers.