Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

2008 Rookie Scouting Portfolio

BTW Matt, you do a great job writing your articles and Scouting Portfolio. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, always nice to hear.

BTW-Newsletter #1 was sent out this morning. Let me know what you think.

BTW-Newsletter #1 was sent out this morning. Let me know what you think.

Just finished reading it. Very good information. I really like the commentary on the commentary as it helps weed out the fluff from the stuff.

--SC

Thanks, always nice to hear.

Are these being sent by e-mail? I can't find what e-mail address I have listed for this site. I'm sure it's ancient and I no longer use it. :unsure:

Did you sign up through the site or respond to my e-mails to folks who have written me outside of FFToday in the past where I asked them if they would like to opt-in for the newsletter.

If it's through the site, let Mike Krueger know you didn't get it.

Did you sign up through the site or respond to my e-mails to folks who have written me outside of FFToday in the past where I asked them if they would like to opt-in for the newsletter.

If it's through the site, let Mike Krueger know you didn't get it.

I didn't get it e-mailed to me either. Do we just e-mail Mike with our e-mail and they will get to us?

If you signed up through the RSP page, e-mail Mike and let him know you didn't receive it. If you gave me permission to send it to you because you've been someone I've personally corresponded with on my private e-mail then let me know and I'll check to see if there was an error.

Is there an email address to send these requests to? I tried the message option through the board, but it did not allow me to send it.

Mike Krueger is the owner of the site drop him a line here: Mike@fftoday.com

Sorry for the inconvenience. Should get worked out soon.

Mike Krueger is the owner of the site drop him a line here: Mike@fftoday.com

Sorry for the inconvenience. Should get worked out soon.

Thanks!

Matt I enjoy your work and was disappointed to learn I was not on the email list. I emailed Mike yesterday morning based on your comments above and have not recieved the email nor a response. Maybe my expectation of getting a reply within 24hrs is a bit optimistic. Is there another person to send an email to?

Matt I enjoy your work and was disappointed to learn I was not on the email list. I emailed Mike yesterday morning based on your comments above and have not recieved the email nor a response. Maybe my expectation of getting a reply within 24hrs is a bit optimistic. Is there another person to send an email to?

I'm having the same problem. Except my email went out 3 days ago. I have a rookie draft in a week. I would like to be able to see this ASAP, seeing as how I am supposed to already have it. What is there we can do, Matt?

Weird, I e-mailed the wrong Mike and still got it sent to me within I think 12 hours.

I have contacted Mike and hopefully will get a response this weekend so that we can get this matter taken care of...

I e-mailed Mike, but I imagine he's slammed with work. I told him I'll add you to my list for the newsletter if I don't hear back from him soon since you guys have contacted him, didn't hear back, and asked for additional help. If you don't hear back from him by Monday night, I'll send this out to you Tuesday morning if you just e-mail me where you want me to send it.

Thanks

M

Everybody who emailed me should have received a copy of the newsletter. If you didn't please email me and I'll send it ASAP. Make sure you put "RSP Newsletter" in the subject line...

Thanks,

Everybody who emailed me should have received a copy of the newsletter. If you didn't please email me and I'll send it ASAP. Make sure you put "RSP Newsletter" in the subject line...

Thanks,

Thanks! Got it.

Waldman,

Just curious if you have seen anything from Jerome Simpson. I know that he was not a part of the RSP and was curious if you had any opinions. I know he struggled in mini camps, but so did Colston.

I haven't seen one thing from Simpson other than a collage of highlights on ESPN when Todd McShay talked about him. Sorry, but I can't help on this one.

Waldman,

Just curious if you have seen anything from Jerome Simpson. I know that he was not a part of the RSP and was curious if you had any opinions. I know he struggled in mini camps, but so did Colston.

For what it's worth, I live in Central Ohio, and from what I can gather, Simpson has incredible athletic ability, but he is incredibly competitve and gets down on himself a bit. I've read that he is struggling with finishing routes, and that he needs to put on weight to help break the press off the line. I believe the Bengals knew most of this when they drafted him, but due to his incredible athletic ability, they were willing to take a chance on Simpson and work with him. Simply put, he's a project, so I wouldn't expect immediate dividends in the next year or two. It appears that Caldwell is ahead of Simpson right now, and it's certain that Simpson is NOT ready to be the #3 WR at this point. That said, I'm not reading that Caldwell will be the #3 WR either. I don't hear anything about Simpson having bad hands or being a problem.

For me, I'd rather take a chance on a competitive football player with upside in a dynasty format, even if I have to wait a few seasons on him to start producing. I think the learning curve for small school players should be considered when reading all the "bad" press clippings.

For what it's worth, I live in Central Ohio, and from what I can gather, Simpson has incredible athletic ability, but he is incredibly competitve and gets down on himself a bit. I've read that he is struggling with finishing routes, and that he needs to put on weight to help break the press off the line. I believe the Bengals knew most of this when they drafted him, but due to his incredible athletic ability, they were willing to take a chance on Simpson and work with him. Simply put, he's a project, so I wouldn't expect immediate dividends in the next year or two. It appears that Caldwell is ahead of Simpson right now, and it's certain that Simpson is NOT ready to be the #3 WR at this point. That said, I'm not reading that Caldwell will be the #3 WR either. I don't hear anything about Simpson having bad hands or being a problem.

For me, I'd rather take a chance on a competitive football player with upside in a dynasty format, even if I have to wait a few seasons on him to start producing. I think the learning curve for small school players should be considered when reading all the "bad" press clippings.

I should have said that Simpson needs to put on weight and more importantly, get stronger. I guess the kid has some major hops, so maybe we'll see him in a few red zone packages. I'll keep you guys updated if I hear anything new. I'm hoping that Simpson or Bennett falls to the 2.10 spot in my upcoming dynasty draft, so he is a guy that I'm keeping an eye on. It's also worth mentioning that the Bengals, despite not having a budget for a scouting department, have had a pretty good eye for WR's in the past. And, I'm sure that Palmer makes an average WR look good.

As someone who's picking late in both dynasty drafts, I actually like the value of this year's WR class. You can draft the top WR's in the late 1st and early 2nd round due to the amount of RB's that came out. I understand that the scouts didn't feel there was a "stud" WR in this class, but how 1st round busts do we see, and how many times do we see the guys drafted in the 2nd round and higher turn out to be quality WR's in the NFL?

I should have said that Simpson needs to put on weight and more importantly, get stronger. I guess the kid has some major hops, so maybe we'll see him in a few red zone packages. I'll keep you guys updated if I hear anything new. I'm hoping that Simpson or Bennett falls to the 2.10 spot in my upcoming dynasty draft, so he is a guy that I'm keeping an eye on. It's also worth mentioning that the Bengals, despite not having a budget for a scouting department, have had a pretty good eye for WR's in the past. And, I'm sure that Palmer makes an average WR look good.

As someone who's picking late in both dynasty drafts, I actually like the value of this year's WR class. You can draft the top WR's in the late 1st and early 2nd round due to the amount of RB's that came out. I understand that the scouts didn't feel there was a "stud" WR in this class, but how 1st round busts do we see, and how many times do we see the guys drafted in the 2nd round and higher turn out to be quality WR's in the NFL?

I got both Bennett (21st overall) and Simpson (29th overall) in the 2nd round of a 16 team league. Good luck to you and thanks for the info!

In the middle of a draft right now with a really awful team that I took over late last year. Before the draft, I had the 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.10, 3.01, 3.02, & 4.01 picks. I traded my 2.01 & 2.10 picks for the 1.11 & 3.11 picks. I figured I would try and grab Hightower with the 1.11 pick, but he ended up going 3rd in the draft!! Major surprise. Anyway, Ray Rice ended up falling to me and I grabbed Ray Rice, Devin Thomas, and Limas Sweed with the 1.09, 1.10 & 1.11 picks. Pretty happy withe the draft so far, and with the trade I made for Calvin Johnson, and with grabbing Bradshaw and Thomas off of waivers when I took the team over, I feel pretty good about my chances at making this team competitive within a few years. I don't have much else, so I should probably get the #1 pick again next year, or at least have a top 3 pick.

Just picked up Laurent Robinson & Malcom Kelly with the 3.01 & 3.02 picks.

In the middle of a draft right now with a really awful team that I took over late last year. Before the draft, I had the 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.10, 3.01, 3.02, & 4.01 picks. I traded my 2.01 & 2.10 picks for the 1.11 & 3.11 picks. I figured I would try and grab Hightower with the 1.11 pick, but he ended up going 3rd in the draft!! Major surprise. Anyway, Ray Rice ended up falling to me and I grabbed Ray Rice, Devin Thomas, and Limas Sweed with the 1.09, 1.10 & 1.11 picks. Pretty happy withe the draft so far, and with the trade I made for Calvin Johnson, and with grabbing Bradshaw and Thomas off of waivers when I took the team over, I feel pretty good about my chances at making this team competitive within a few years. I don't have much else, so I should probably get the #1 pick again next year, or at least have a top 3 pick.

Just picked up Laurent Robinson & Malcom Kelly with the 3.01 & 3.02 picks.

I love the Rice pick (obviously) and to get Thomas, Sweed, and Kelly is nice. You should hit on at least one of those three by 2010. Hightower is interesting, but how he went at 1.03 and Rice fell to 1.11 (if I understand this correctly) is crazy. Hightower could be good, but 1.03???? Whoa...

I love the Rice pick (obviously) and to get Thomas, Sweed, and Kelly is nice. You should hit on at least one of those three by 2010. Hightower is interesting, but how he went at 1.03 and Rice fell to 1.11 (if I understand this correctly) is crazy. Hightower could be good, but 1.03???? Whoa...

Yeah, I know. Rice fell to 1.09. I had the 1.09 & 1.10, and then traded my 2.01 & 2.10 for the 1.11 & 3.11 before the draft. My thinking was that I would grab Hightower with the 1.11. When I logged into the draft and seen that Rice was still there at my 1.09 pick, it was a no brainer.

Matt, I've watched Jason Hill this preseason, and he's looked great, but now I read he might be cut??? Do you know anything further than the speculation floating around? I can't imagine they would cut Hill over Lelie.

Yeah, I know. Rice fell to 1.09. I had the 1.09 & 1.10, and then traded my 2.01 & 2.10 for the 1.11 & 3.11 before the draft. My thinking was that I would grab Hightower with the 1.11. When I logged into the draft and seen that Rice was still there at my 1.09 pick, it was a no brainer.

Matt, I've watched Jason Hill this preseason, and he's looked great, but now I read he might be cut??? Do you know anything further than the speculation floating around? I can't imagine they would cut Hill over Lelie.

Yeah, I just read that about Hill, too! Shocker, considering how well he's playing. I have to believe that's a really poorly reported piece, but the Mercury News isn't exactly a rag, either. I think Lelie would be gone way before Hill who not only acquitted himself well during the preseason, but Mike Martz raved about him in OTAs. I think this has to be a mistake or really bad reporting. Otherwise, I'll be shocked because like you, I have two eyes and some semblance of a football brain.

Yeah, I just read that about Hill, too! Shocker, considering how well he's playing. I have to believe that's a really poorly reported piece, but the Mercury News isn't exactly a rag, either. I think Lelie would be gone way before Hill who not only acquitted himself well during the preseason, but Mike Martz raved about him in OTAs. I think this has to be a mistake or really bad reporting. Otherwise, I'll be shocked because like you, I have two eyes and some semblance of a football brain.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not dropping him. If Hill gets put on the practice squad, there's no way he makes it through waivers, and I just don't believe he's going to be cut. There's no way that a team is going to cut a guy that has, to this point, been the starting QB's go to guy. That, and when I've watched Hill, he's been really good at coming back to the ball, or reversing field to make something out of a broken play. I've been really impressed with him.

I just read this from rotoworld and thought you might like to read it.

Published Fri Aug 22 10:28:56 a.m. ET 2008

(RotoWire) Davis is consistently the last player off the practice field, the Washington Post reports. He has been putting in extra time with the tight ends coach working on his foot work and technique.

Analysis: Davis is second on the depth chart behind Chris Cooley. However, if Davis continues to improve he may see time lined up in the slot and in red zone situations.

I have Winslow and Scheffler, but my team in this league is solid, with good depth all the way around, so I think I'll hang onto Davis. It's nice having a team where you can draft by talent, and afford to wait on the talent to develop.

I also saw a ... I think ... RotoWorld blurb today (through MFL) that Xavier Omon is not expected to make the Bills roster. He got extensive action in the last preseason game and I thought he looked very good. It was against the Colts though, and Wright was okay too. If Omon does get put on the practice squad I wonder if another team will pick him up?

I think so. The Bills RB coach said Omon has a lot of upside, but he's a bit raw because of the level of competition he faced allowed him to be a man among boys. He said Omon had excellent acceleration/burst through the hole and runs hard. They like his size/quickness/toughness.

I think another team will nab him if he gets cut.

Cleveland released WRs Travis Wilson, Steve Sanders, and Efrem Hill.

So much for being their third receiver. Wilson get chance after chacne in Cleveland, especially this year, but the former third-round pick could never step up. With Sanders also cut, Josh Cribbs, Syndric Steptoe, and rookie Paul Hubbard made the team and will compete for snaps.

Sixth-round WR Paul Hubbard made the Browns final roster.

Considering only Josh Cribbs is clearly in front of him, the rookie has a shot for meaningful snaps this season.

-rotoworld

goodbye dwayne wright, hello xavier omon and steve johnson

Steptoe is a nifty player. When I watched Arizona a few years ago, the two best players on that offense were Steptoe and Mike Bell. That said, I think Hubbard's height, leaping ability, and size make him a more promising long term candidate. With Jurevicius' career going south it would seem to me that Donte Stallworth will need a big year for him to give the Browns a reason not to give Hubbard every opportunity to develop for 2009 and beyond.

Players notably kept on final rosters thus far...they may still see the chopping block, but only if their team adds someone else cut from another team:

RB Xavier Omon - they cut Wright because they like Omon's potential once he adjusts to the NFL.

RB Kregg Lumpkin - I'm going to talk about him more in next week's column, but they cut Morency, Wynn, and Herron to keep Lumpkin as the #3 to Grant and Jackson. Lumpkin is a very good player who just couldn't stay healthy in college. If you have a deep roster in a dynasty league, get him if you can afford a luxury pick.

WR Paul Hubbard - they release Travis Wilson, Steptoe, and Sanders. See posts above

QB Josh Johnson - luxury pick here, too, but he's going to get a much bigger chance to show something in 2009.

WR Lavelle Hawkins - for the Titans to release Roydell Williams and Biren Early it means Hawkins was impressive enough to contribute (and Williams was too banged up)

RB Kenneth Darby - I've talked about Darby before. He and Lumpkin are runners I believe have the talent to produce if given the opportunity. Despite a depth chart with Graham, Bennett, and Dunn, it looks like Darby will stick at least until Cadillac can return from the PUP list, if at all.

WR Devon Bess - The Dolphins say he has Wes Welker-like potential.

Players notably kept on final rosters thus far...they may still see the chopping block, but only if their team adds someone else cut from another team:

WR Paul Hubbard - they release Travis Wilson, Steptoe, and Sanders. See posts above

RB Kenneth Darby - I've talked about Darby before. He and Lumpkin are runners I believe have the talent to produce if given the opportunity. Despite a depth chart with Graham, Bennett, and Dunn, it looks like Darby will stick at least until Cadillac can return from the PUP list, if at all.

hill, not steptoe was cut

kenneth darby was cut

HTH

RB Xavier Omon - they cut Wright because they like Omon's potential once he adjusts to the NFL.

Sweet! :doh:

Steptoe is a nifty player. When I watched Arizona a few years ago, the two best players on that offense were Steptoe and Mike Bell. That said, I think Hubbard's height, leaping ability, and size make him a more promising long term candidate. With Jurevicius' career going south it would seem to me that Donte Stallworth will need a big year for him to give the Browns a reason not to give Hubbard every opportunity to develop for 2009 and beyond.

Browns fan, and I agree with your assessment. I don't think that any player stood out more than Steptoe in the preseason. I'm not sure that Steptoe will have any relevant fantasy value, but he looked impressive running routes, catching the ball, and returning punts and kicks. I just think that with Edwards, Winslow, Stallworth, and Cribbs on the roster, Steptoe wouldn't be able to put up enough points to merit a roster spot. That said, he's a good guy to have on an NFL roster.

RB Kregg Lumpkin - I'm going to talk about him more in next week's column, but they cut Morency, Wynn, and Herron to keep Lumpkin as the #3 to Grant and Jackson. Lumpkin is a very good player who just couldn't stay healthy in college. If you have a deep roster in a dynasty league, get him if you can afford a luxury pick.

QB Josh Johnson - luxury pick here, too, but he's going to get a much bigger chance to show something in 2009.

WR Lavelle Hawkins - for the Titans to release Roydell Williams and Biren Early it means Hawkins was impressive enough to contribute (and Williams was too banged up)

WR Devon Bess - The Dolphins say he has Wes Welker-like potential.

Thanks for the update Matt. I'd like to roster Omon, but unfortunately, both of my dynasty leagues only allow 22 man rosters. I was kind of hoping he'd get cut and the Browns would pick him up. I think Omon would be a perfect fit in the Browns' offense.