Sign in to follow this  
bfros

Zeke and NFL talking settlement

I'd be surprised Elliott took any deal with more than 2 games. He's now had several judges rule in his favor. Judges most often go with precedent so as to avoid being overturned.

I suspect in two weeks he gets a further ruling that allows him to play this whole year. Of course, absent any deal, he would still be potentially on the hook for 6 games next year.

Maybe he wants to avoid that. If so, maybe he takes the 2 games.

At this point I think anything is possible

It changes every week so sooner or later you would have to think a settlement is likely

Before the season most people were speculating 2 games, so maybe that's how it will end up

I'd suspect the Cowboys are encouraging Zeek to take the plea. If I'm the owner/coach I want this over with. Too big of a distraction for a team with legit playoff chances.

If they're smart they'll take 2 games with it starting immediately. He'd miss an auto win @ San Fran and Washington. Before they get into a tough 3-game stretch of KC, ATL, Philly

I'd be shocked if Zeke takes any deal with the NFL. Like Brady, Zeke seems hell bent on clearing his name. I don't see how taking a deal (admitting somewhat guilt in the matter) helps him clear his name, especially when he seems to have the upper hand at the moment.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/10/18/sources-ezekiel-elliotts-team-nfl-discussed-possibility-settlement

The two sides may settle on a 2-3 game suspension (instead of 6). We'll see. Would be a major win for Zeke owners depending on when that suspension kicks in. Hopefully he'd be back by week 12-13 at latest.

Anybody who thought this hasn't been the case all along is fairly naive when it comes to the legal system, this is not news.

There have been settlement talks at every step of the way, all along.

There was/is a slightly higher chance of a settlement now because of where things stand with the record of rulings so far, but it could have come at any time.

Perhaps one could take the timing of this article as a sort of trial balloon and assume the parties want it now, but its a stretch.

You have to remember there are 3 separate parties here, Zeke, NFLPA, Cowboys

I doubt the Cowboys are interested in seeing Zeke miss a divisional game- Wash 2 weeks from now. Zeke is heavily influenced by his employer but may prefer his name out of the light at the expense of just a game or 2........ NFLPA probably wants this to play out now unless they think they have a serious case with Kap to void the CBA anyway.

1 game might do it but I'm not sure that will happen in time for this week and if not I suspect the Cowboys would prefer it dragged until after the Redskins game is accounted. I honestly think when it started the Cowboys/Zeke had a primary goal of him playing Week 1 against the Giants. I don't think even they thought it could drag this far, missing Wash would be problematic from their viewpoint IMO.

Edit:

To be clear I'm saying the chances of there being a settlement are not much more likely than they have been all along and that's why its not news IMO

Having 3 parties on the Zeke side is interesting. Any of the 3 could be talking settlement at any given time and may have different and changing motivations along the way.

Thats bull, Id settle for no more than 0 games. He is innocent and every court has agreed with him. His tweet is spot on, its about clearing his name. He will be labeled an abuser and thug by people such as Seafoam when everyone can see he is innocent and the woman has bee proven a liar and conspirator.

I'd be surprised Elliott took any deal with more than 2 games. He's now had several judges rule in his favor. Judges most often go with precedent so as to avoid being overturned.

I suspect in two weeks he gets a further ruling that allows him to play this whole year. Of course, absent any deal, he would still be potentially on the hook for 6 games next year.

Maybe he wants to avoid that. If so, maybe he takes the 2 games.

If that were the case, then the first judge would have ruled in favor of the NFL with the NFL using the Brady case as the precedent. I think judges are more interested in setting precedents rather than using them... but that could be my cynical side dominating my thought process.

Thats bull, Id settle for no more than 0 games. He is innocent and every court has agreed with him. His tweet is spot on, its about clearing his name. He will be labeled an abuser and thug by people such as Seafoam when everyone can see he is innocent and the woman has bee proven a liar and conspirator.

I may be in the minority here, but this case won't determine anything about what he did or didn't do to me. I think he did "something". What that "something" is, I don't know. What I do know, is that there was so much more smoke around Winston and absolutely nothing came of it. The NFL went full Sherlock Holmes on that case and came up with absolutely nothing. Well, if they suspended Elliott, they found "something".

I may be in the minority here, but this case won't determine anything about what he did or didn't do to me. I think he did "something". What that "something" is, I don't know. What I do know, is that there was so much more smoke around Winston and absolutely nothing came of it. The NFL went full Sherlock Holmes on that case and came up with absolutely nothing. Well, if they suspended Elliott, they found "something".

No, the suspension was purely because there was a whiff of domestic violence and the league can’t be seen looking soft on that. They heard her story and that’s that. But then we get the texts of her admitting to planning the whole thing and setting him up, laughing with her friends. Then the actual real courts found him to be innocent and are even tossing the case out of a few courts. I don’t think something happened, I think nothing happened more than a disgruntled and opportunistic gold digger taking her shot.

Once this case hit the Appeal process - it was never about guilt or innocence - which is what most continue to be confused about.

The Appeal process has been based on whether or not Zeke was afforded full due process of "Procedure", not whether he did it or not...... Which is why (ultimately) Zeke will lose.. Jerry, the Cowboys and Zeke have nobody to blame but themselves - when the owners and NFLPA signed off on the CBA (and Article 46) - they sealed their own fate.

I do find it humorous (though), all the internet Inspector Clouseaus around here, convinced Zeke did something..... Never mind the only person in all of this (Kia Roberts) to actual interview the accuser - basically said she was full of shiit.

This story smells funny. I mean sh!t, the full appeal process hasn't even played out yet. The original ruling only confirmed that, according to the arbitrator, that the correct process had been followed. Elliot hasn't even contested the length of the suspension yet, nor has his assertion that facts were left out been heard in court yet. If I were Zeke and proclaimed my innocence, there's no freaking way I'd accept ANY deal for it, because it essentially is an admission of his guilt. There is little reason for him to talk to the NFL about a reduction, and little reason on the league's side.

No, the suspension was purely because there was a whiff of domestic violence and the league can’t be seen looking soft on that. They heard her story and that’s that. But then we get the texts of her admitting to planning the whole thing and setting him up, laughing with her friends. Then the actual real courts found him to be innocent and are even tossing the case out of a few courts. I don’t think something happened, I think nothing happened more than a disgruntled and opportunistic gold digger taking her shot.

That may be, but there was more than just a whiff in the Winston case... there was actual court documents filed. Even after the draft, there was a civil suit pending and the NFL found absolutely nothing. They [the NFL], apparently found "something".

I also think the league shouldn't settle for anything less than 6.

The whole point of this crusade is to be able to say through public relations that the league is being tough on this subject.

Goodell mandated a 6 game suspension for this act after the Ray Rice incident, with no mandate that it holds up to the same standard of guilt that it does criminally or civilly. If they determine that the case meets their burden, it should be 6 games, end of story. Especially considering Goodell has almost unchecked authority to hand down discipline.

Reducing to 2 games looks soft, and if you're going to look soft on the matter anyway, then why even bother doing this in the first place.

They are only doing this to change public perception about the league, and you don't accomplish anything by settling for less than the aggressive minimum you set out for.

If I actually cared about this matter and saw it as a sticking point for me to remain a fan, I would find this insulting. Do it or don't do it, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Otherwise it just looks like you're playing everyone that does care like a fool. I would have more pride in Goodell if he stood firm at 6 and lost, then if he just settled...especially considering how far he held out on Deflategate.

I also think the league shouldn't settle for anything less than 6.

The whole point of this crusade is to be able to say through public relations that the league is being tough on this subject.

Goodell mandated a 6 game suspension for this act after the Ray Rice incident, with no mandate that it holds up to the same standard of guilt that it does criminally or civilly. If they determine that the case meets their burden, it should be 6 games, end of story. Especially considering Goodell has almost unchecked authority to hand down discipline.

Reducing to 2 games looks soft, and if you're going to look soft on the matter anyway, then why even bother doing this in the first place.

They are only doing this to change public perception about the league, and you don't accomplish anything by settling for less than the aggressive minimum you set out for.

If I actually cared about this matter and saw it as a sticking point for me to remain a fan, I would find this insulting. Do it or don't do it, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Otherwise it just looks like you're playing everyone that does care like a fool. I would have more pride in Goodell if he stood firm at 6 and lost, then if he just settled...especially considering how far he held out on Deflategate.

Agree completely.

You guys made me actually LOL.

Pretty funny stuff, hopefully not serious because if so there is a fundamental misunderstanding about what this whole case is about and life in general.

There are ALWAYS reasons to settle on every side its just a question of whether the urgency is sufficient by both parties and whether they have the ability/motivation to meet in the middle.

There is no clearing your name (said like there is no crying in baseball)............ as a result of this case, Zeke and everybody involved knows that.......don't allow yourself to be spun by the spinsters.

Lets say this case plays out all the way, what is the result?

If the heavy consensus is correct Zeke eventually serves the 6 games anyway when the full case is decided this off-season. How does that clear his name?

Even if he succeeds full on Rocky style underdog, and eventually wins the fullcase.................the result is that 6 game suspension gets overturned and the NFL can and will start the hearing process over again and include whatever evidence the courts decide would have been "fair". How does that clear his name?

The players agreed to allow Goodell to make those decisions and he will, that is not and will not be in question in this case and if he needs to make it again he will and Zeke will be punished.

Goodell can and will look at it all over again if necessary including all evidence and decide it should be whatever term he deems necessary, maybe even more games for that matter.

Goodell's right to punish is not in question in Zeke's case, only the process he used and whether the process is deemed "fair"

Zeke's name will never be clear regardless of what happens in court anyway, don't be naive.

Settlement is stupid here. Give this thug 6 games, then with his next loser action, kick him out of the league. Elliott is the most annoying story in the history of the NFL.

Pretty funny stuff, hopefully not serious because if so there is a fundamental misunderstanding about what this whole case is about and life in general.

There are ALWAYS reasons to settle on every side its just a question of whether the urgency is sufficient by both parties and whether they have the ability/motivation to meet in the middle.

There is no clearing your name (said like there is no crying in baseball)............ as a result of this case, Zeke and everybody involved knows that.......don't allow yourself to be spun by the spinsters.

Lets say this case plays out all the way, what is the result?

If the heavy consensus is correct Zeke eventually serves the 6 games anyway when the full case is decided this off-season. How does that clear his name?

Even if he succeeds full on Rocky style underdog, and eventually wins the fullcase.................the result is that 6 game suspension gets overturned and the NFL can and will start the hearing process over again and include whatever evidence the courts decide would have been "fair". How does that clear his name?

The players agreed to allow Goodell to make those decisions and he will, that is not and will not be in question in this case and if he needs to make it again he will and Zeke will be punished.

Goodell can and will look at it all over again if necessary including all evidence and decide it should be whatever term he deems necessary, maybe even more games for that matter.

Goodell's right to punish is not in question in Zeke's case, only the process he used and whether the process is deemed "fair"

Zeke's name will never be clear regardless of what happens in court anyway, don't be naive.

I disagree.

Punishment is supposed to be handled via criminal and civil means; there is no mandate that says an employer has take on add'l punishment, or compensate for the lack of punishment in the civil/criminal cases.

The fact that they are choosing to take this on is purely voluntary, meaning there doesn't have to be a reason to settle.

The whole point of them doing this is because they feel that it will help with their PR, but I think the last couple of years have shown that these really don't hurt the PR that bad. Sponsors are not pulling out, season ticket renewals are not going down. Whether its good or bad, people don't really care.

Thus, the league could do nothing on these and still not really be that affected. The fact that they choose to take this task on, especially in this case when the lead investigator herself didn't believe the witness to be credible and recommended zero games for Zeke, means this is solely an executive order by Goodell on a policy that he mandated needs to be at 6 games. If he settles this for less, than yes I think that makes it look soft.

And if he's still going to look soft afterwards, and he's spending so much time and energy on this, then what really is accomplished?

Yeah, if he can get it down to 2 games, then he should take that for sure!! This fight doesn't win in Zeke's favor.

What makes me LOL is the arrogance with which you post. I understand you likely stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but really,"...I have been following closely since the start and have a far better handle on this than the majority of national reporters...." followed up with calling people naive and not serious and on and on?

Listen dude, you don't know jack! You can try your best to post as if you do, but you don't so just relax.

Have you ever been yourself or known anybody who has been through the court process?

You are underestimating the desire one starts to feel for it to all just go away...........even and maybe especially, if you are in the right.

"Wins" with a settlement..................lets just say its 1 game

NFL/NFLPA/Zeke................. dollars, time spent and emotional investment in moving forward in court

Cowboys its 1 game vs what could be 6 and is very likely to be more than 1 regardless of any court outcome

Zeke Cowboys are his employer.............Zeke will spin he did nothing wrong but this was the best outcome for the team and moving forward made sense. He fought as hard as he could for himself but made a selfless move in the end, yada, yada, spin-spin.

NFL Does not have its rights under the CBA any further questioned or scrutinized in court. They fought as hard as they could for victims rights but can't control the court process and in the end made a selfless move. In conjunction they will review all policies to insure they uphold victims rights to the fullest extent possible and have the highest expectations for all employees......yada, yada, spin-spin

Not an exhaustive list by any means, just examples...........there are always reasons to settle involving each party.

If you owned a company, you too would be worried about who is representing that company. Suspend the thug and show other people who are held to the same standards in their workplace, that even the NFL has some standards of conduct. Otherwise, the talented football players in college and high school will act like little demons like they do now.

What makes me LOL is the arrogance with which you post. I understand you likely stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but really,"...I have been following closely since the start and have a far better handle on this than the majority of national reporters...." followed up with calling people naive and not serious and on and on?

Listen dude, you don't know jack! You can try your best to post as if you do, but you don't so just relax.

Nah, the truth is that I do know............. that I don't "know", for the most part, there is no such thing

Have you ever been yourself or known anybody who has been through the court process?

You are underestimating the desire one starts to feel for it to all just go away...........even and maybe especially, if you are in the right.

"Wins" with a settlement..................lets just say its 1 game

NFL/NFLPA/Zeke................. dollars, time spent and emotional investment in moving forward in court

Cowboys its 1 game vs what could be 6 and is very likely to be more than 1 regardless of any court outcome

Zeke Cowboys are his employer.............Zeke will spin he did nothing wrong but this was the best outcome for the team and moving forward made sense. He fought as hard as he could for himself but made a selfless move in the end, yada, yada, spin-spin.

NFL Does not have its rights under the CBA any further questioned or scrutinized in court. They fought as hard as they could for victims rights but can't control the court process and in the end made a selfless move. In conjunction they will review all policies to insure they uphold victims rights to the fullest extent possible and have the highest expectations for all employees......yada, yada, spin-spin

Not an exhaustive list by any means, just examples...........there are always reasons to settle involving each party.

no, non, no.

If the mission of this suspension was for the NFL to take a hard line stance against any and all forms of domestic violence and the Cowboys and Zeke want to fight, then its not the NFL's job to factor in what's easiest for the Cowboys or for Zeke. If Goodell caves at a lesser suspension because it makes it easier for the Cowboys, then he's admitting that football is more important than making this stand. That is worth fighting to the end, especially considering he went the distance on Deflategate.

And remember as I said above, nobody is pushing for this other than him. The lead investigator even said the facts deemed zero suspension, no sponsors are threatening to pull out if action is not taken (or at least without them knowing that there's a dozen replacements that would happily take their spot), nobody is threatening to withdraw season tickets.

This is all Goodell on a policy he went all in on, that has had minimal success.

The fact that its difficult for the Cowboys is the point; that taking said player away even on a first offense is what Goodell deemed is necessary to eradicate this problem.

The fact that its difficult for Zeke is the point, for obvious reasons.

So if Goodell picks this case as one to pursue, and can't get it done, then its weak. If the enforcement is weak, if sponsors/season ticket holders have shown that they don't care, and if owners have shown that they're not interested in getting players like this out of the league...then what are we doing here?

Settling for a lesser penalty because its easier for Zeke or the Cowboys is insulting to the people that care about this. And if you're putting in your best efforts and still insulting the people that care about this, then why even bother?

yep. as a fan of the team, i'd almost like to see him just accept the suspension, put the whole mess behind him, and move on as a team.

but by pressing the case, goodell is insisting that zeke is a scumbag who ought to be in prison. so i can't argue with zeke's unwillingness to submit to that.

yep. as a fan of the team, i'd almost like to see him just accept the suspension, put the whole mess behind him, and move on as a team.

but by pressing the case, goodell is insisting that zeke is a scumbag who ought to be in prison. so i can't argue with zeke's unwillingness to submit to that.

Elliott is a scumbag.

Seriously, I really don't understand how dark can a human mind be sometime. I really don't understand how people still keep posting stuff like Fat Eddie, Crab Leg Winston, and Murder Ray. Like, what kind of mess up life do one has to have to project such a negative thought.

So I totally understand Zeke don't want the women beater as a label. But it's too late, Zeke will see women beater all over his twitter, all over the NFL forum, and all over fantasy forum.

Law, on 19 Oct 2017 - 1:45 PM, said:

lesjroza, on 19 Oct 2017 - 1:47 PM, said:

Nah, the truth is that I do know............. that I don't "know", for the most part, there is no such thing

Additionally let me add and clarify a few things.

If I offended you in some way, or anyone else, I apologize, its not you, its me........its not uncommon.

I have a way of being snarky, and it does not sit well with everyone, but there is no malicious intent.

When I write "I'm not an expert but I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night" I'm actually intending to convey the opposite of arrogance....awareness that I'm not an expert on this subject.

At the same time when I say I have a better handle on it than most national reporters.......... I'm sorry if you took offense but I very strongly believe that is true. From the comments you have made, I believe you have a better handle as well!

Its not meant to demean national reporters or put them down. They have more things they know more about than I do, and better sources on many subjects. At the same time they have many responsibilities that require more time than I have spent than on this single issue. Its not meant to convey superiority of intelligence or any other offensive way you may have taken it. I also believe most national reporters would, and actually have admitted throughout this process that they could be better informed and seem uncomfortable writing about it.

Also let me encourage you, and everybody here for that matter, every one of us can be more informed than a national reporter when it comes to opinions and facts pertinent to FF if we drill down the way they are unable to. Have confidence in yourself! That, in fact, is the very reason I come here, to have my own opinions challenged and hopefully to find different viewpoints from people who have knowledge to drop on a specific subject where I do not have the time or inclination to research.

When I said "Zeke's name will never be clear regardless of what happens in court anyway, don't be naive."...... that was not an attempt to label any person naive. If you or others took it as demeaning I assure you it wasn't the intent. I was conveying that IMO the idea (not the person), that Zeke (or any celebrity) accused of domestic abuse would have their name "cleared" by the court process is not consistent with the experience we have had recently as a society. This court process is not intended to clear his name, and even if it did, nothing has worked for others through recent history. The stigma will still be there. All one has to do is read this board and that should be clear.

Also, I did not take offense to this : "Listen dude, you don't know jack! You can try your best to post as if you do, but you don't so just relax.

The one thing I do know.................... is that I don't "know" very many things at all. I consider most things in a range of outcomes more so than absolutes anyway. However, I do have a great deal of confidence in my ability to predict and navigate a range fairly well because I have had success doing so in many facets of life throughout the years. My confidence can and does appear as "arrogance", to some especially when I write, so I get where you are saying. If you prefer a more humble route for yourself, and others that's cool, very cool. I wish I conveyed it more myself, its a good thing to aspire to and I hope I can improve in that area. Also FWIW when I post my name is on it. I try not to post about things I have not done some research on, and or a lot of thinking about, and I don't post the opposite of what I believe to throw my league mates off my intent. If its that important I'm worried about somebody knowing my thinking, I just don't comment which is why you don't see a boatload of posts from me.

As for relax, I'm not sure I could be much more, you are misinterpreting thinking otherwise.

I thought it important to apologize to you and anybody else who took the "naive" comment regarding an idea as a personal attack, to me your writing it as you did was a mischaracterization. It was a poor choice of a word on my part, but I wanted to make sure that people saw I was commenting on an idea and not a person regardless of the semantics.

• Like 1

Really time to get over yourself dude. You're trying too hard to impress...and it's falling flat.

Elliott is a scumbag.

The League's history is littered with scumbags - labeling one a woman beater is an entirely different stigma. That kind of stuff doesn't wash off.

...but by pressing the case, goodell is insisting that zeke is a scumbag who ought to be in prison. so i can't argue with zeke's unwillingness to submit to that.

After I thought about it for a while, I totally agree.

When the League's own investigator, who's a woman nonetheless, investigates/interviews the accuser and comes out and (basically) says she's full of shiit, there's legitimacy to his claim... You'd have to be a biased idiot, with an agenda, to think otherwise.

What about this policy? If a player actually beats a woman it's only a 6 game suspension?

Really time to get over yourself dude. You're trying too hard to impress...and it's falling flat.

Very big of you, I guess I fought the Law and the Law won :)

That is what this looks like, there is no doubt about that.

that being said, Zeke needs to use his head a bit more and not put himself into situations where people can do this to him.

Now that he has a pile of money he needs to safeguard himself from those who would target him and try to get him to part with some of it.

The League's history is littered with scumbags - labeling one a woman beater is an entirely different stigma. That kind of stuff doesn't wash off.

He has done more than women beating. This is more about a dumbass adult that cant stop trying to be cool in his thug-friends eyes.

He has done more than women beating. This is more about a dumbass adult that cant stop trying to be cool in his thug-friends eyes.

There's zero evidence to say he has beaten any women, quite the contrary in this instance.

Is he a thug, dumbass even? Certainly evidence of that possibly.

This is more about those with a personal agenda, panties in a wad, calling for a hanging just bcoz they don't personally like him. So blinded by disdain they blatantly ignore what's been presented.

There's zero evidence to say he has beaten any women, quite the contrary in this instance.

Is he a thug, dumbass even? Certainly evidence of that possibly.

This is more about those with a personal agenda, panties in a wad, calling for a hanging just bcoz they don't personally like him. So blinded by disdain they blatantly ignore what's been presented.

Ok. Lets go with his employer doesnt like how he conducts himself. Enough reason by the letter of the law to fire or suspend. Yes, even in the NFL.