Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Does anybody have a take on net neutrality?

Apparently, that's going away. I've read a few things, but don't really know enough to have a take. Then again, not that it matters.

I am against it

the fact that Google, Amazon, Yahoo, Youtube, Facebook are all for it, tells me everything I need to know

comcast, throw them in

Sorry. Barstool sports doesnt cover that stuff.

Nor do they cover sports

I am for it.

Repealing it will allow internet providers to have the same tiers as cable companies. They could throttle your internet speed to YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc if you do not buy their "online streaming" package.

This is just one scenario.

I am for it, cause as we saw in the cell phone wars, eventually its a benefit for all

Once there was only Sprint offering unlimited, now they all do

I have no problem paying more for stuff I use

Apparently, that's going away. I've read a few things, but don't really know enough to have a take. Then again, not that it matters.

That is true... There are a lot of things that you don't know enough on to have a take, but you voice anyway...

comcast, throw them in

Let's not forgot the head of the FCC pushing against Net Neutrality is a former Verizon exec. I'm sure there's nothing fishy about that to FF. :unsure:

I am for it, cause as we saw in the cell phone wars, eventually its a benefit for all

Once there was only Sprint offering unlimited, now they all do

I have no problem paying more for stuff I use

I think you're saying you're against it?

FCC just voted 3-2 to overturn net neutrality rules.

What does this mean?

https://qzprod.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/net_neturality1-e1509289851528.png?w=831

The head of the FCC (a former Verizon exec) got a giant chunk of change from broadband companies, to allow them to put toll roads on the internet we tax payers already paid for.

yep thats what I mean

You realize that losing net neutrality means companies can nickel and dime you for everything online right? Like, sign up for yahoo and get google for 5$ a month, plus add on 6 web page views a day for only 10 cents more!

Its the most blatantly bad thing since the Nazis. You are the literal only person, literally...the only one...who isnt vehemently and violently opposed to losing net neutrality. I think theres some confusion.

• Like 1

Obviously a bad thing (getting rid of net neutrality).

Not at all surprised these greedy companies will fock up the Internet. Only a matter of time.

Also not surprised folks arent up in arms about it. They continue to screw us while we look the other way.

• Like 1

It means eventually certain parts of the web will have paywalls. There will be fast lanes for those who can afford to pay. You will be throttled speedwise for certain websites or streaming.

It wont happen at first... but slowly it will roon the internet. Just like your cable bill goes up without warning and theres nothing you can do.

To clarify...net neutrality is a good thing...losing it is the bad thing. It’s the equivalent of voting for freedom or against freedom lol.

• Like 1

Untill more than one company can offer internet... i have only comcast where I live... or crappy dsl. They can basically do whatever they want.

FCC just voted 3-2 to overturn net neutrality rules.

What does this mean?

It means your internet will slowly get sh1ttier and you wont know why. Then someday a solution will be presented to you go with company x for your internet and company y (actually probably the same company merged together) for your content and itll be blazing fast just like the good ol days!

I am honestly surprised that allowing companies to regulate internet speeds is not unconstitutional. Seeing as how the SC throws the commerce clause into pretty much anything and everything. Slowing internet certainly has a huge effect on commerce.

Obviously a bad thing (getting rid of net neutrality).

Not at all surprised these greedy companies will fock up the Internet. Only a matter of time.

Also not surprised folks arent up in arms about it. They continue to screw us while we look the other way.

greedy companies were for it

Net should always be free. Not for different companies to influence.

any decent country gives it citizens free internet

in all honesty. Obama put this in in 2015.

did internet suck or something before then?

seems like it got a hell of a lot more expensive since then

before 2015 regulations didn't exist, we are just rolling back to 2015, its completely blown out of proportion, some internet company will come along with packages that will destroy companies nickel and diming

fwiw, I look at it like this

for years, I paid for Cable or Directv, I had to pay for a ton of garbage I never watched

now I use sling and get pretty much very few channels for super cheap, that I actually use

All for net neutrality, I posted a petition thread a few months back. There aren't enough providers for the free market thinking to really work, all that is going to happen is deals will be made behind closed doors to ultimately get more cash out of us for the same thing. Anyone that supports rolling this back either doesn't have an understanding of net neutrality or is a partisan hack.

I actually think internet access you should be free for everyone. It isn't something you "want" anymore, you need the internet to function in society today.

• Like 1

All for net neutrality, I posted a petition thread a few months back. There are enough providers for the free market thinking to really work, all that is going to happen is deals will be made behind closed doors to ultimately get more cash out of us for the same thing. Anything that supports rolling this back either doesn't have an understanding of net neutrality or is a partisan hack.

:thumbsup:

greedy companies were for it

Not the ones that stand to benefit from it or know they can position themselves to benefit

they would charge us for air, if they could.

or water.

clean water isn't free now

before 2015 regulations didn't exist, we are just rolling back to 2015, its completely blown out of proportion, some internet company will come along with packages that will destroy companies nickel and diming

fwiw, I look at it like this

for years, I paid for Cable or Directv, I had to pay for a ton of garbage I never watched

now I use sling and get pretty much very few channels for super cheap, that I actually use

Sling is exactly the sort of thing that will be throttled unless they pay fealty or merge with the big boys (either of which will kill the service) :doh:

Sling is exactly the sort of thing that will be throttled unless they pay fealty or merge with the big boys (either of which will kill the service) :doh:

what the hell are you talking about, was sling eaten by big boys?

what I am saying is that companies will come along, smaller companies, that offer all internet for X $ at X Speed, it will be cheaper than Verizon/Frontier/Comcast

Verizon and Comcast, the two biggest companies for ISP were for NN, why do you think that? Cause it eliminates any and all potential competitors

just think back to the time when Verizon and ATT were the 2 major cell phone companies, then Sprint came up with unlimited everything for cheaper. Now they all have it, and there are alot of other wireless companies available for even cheaper than the big 4

Cricket, Metro, etc