Sign in to follow this  
Fantasy Noob

2 QB's in Draft

Does having to start two QB's elevate their status in a draft or dilute it? This is only my second season and this particular league has alot of positions to fill. Namely 2QB, 3WR, 2RB, 2TE and two flex positons one W/RB and one W/TE with multiple kicker and defensive spots as well. Its a 10 team yahoo plus league.

I like to go RB heavy early, just cause in my first season I got smacked around by not having two quality RB's. But with the requirement to start two QB's do I need to look at QB's much earlier say in the 3rd and 4th rounds? Or do I even need to elevate QB's to higher level. The setting is 6 points for a passing TD and a 20pnt bonus at 250 yds. Do I need to seriously consider going two QB's in first two rounds? With these settings I am inclined to elevate QB's to my first two choices, is this gonna kill me? There is negative points for incompletions, interceptions and sacks but all around one or two points each.

The value for TD's and bonus at 250 yards does put a bit more urgency on getting QB's but I think if you get a productive QB by the 4th-5th round(don't reach though) and a second (middle of the road) QB by the 9th - 10th round you should be fine without sacrificing too much at any one position. Depending on when the two starters bye weeks are, you possibly could fill the backup QB from the waiver wire as injuries start to add up and potentially undrafted players end up starting. There's some risk with this so you still should look at drafting one backup late in the draft who you could toss if the waiver wire works out.

So you really dont see QB's as having more value than RB's with this setup and point value? I was concerned with this setup it looks like a good QB can be close to 30 or more points a game, which seems to devalue the other positions. I was thinking two of the top 10 QB's would equal 3 top 12 RB's week in and week out, this would tend to make me want to pick up QB's first.

Do you think this all depends mostly on the draft day run? I am concerned if I go RB/RB in first two rounds I will lose out on an elite QB. Honestly I think with the increased WR positions and the depth there missing out on top 10 WR will not hurt my team. My opinion is that with the increased WR positions it dilutes the value of the top WR's even with the point per reception scoring. Where as the QB and RB positions get so thin so quick and they are consistently worth more points. So I am tempted to go RB/QB/RB/QB or some sequence in the first few rounds.

Does anyone have experience in a league with two QB's? What was the general draft day trend? RB's then QB's then WRs? I dont want to get caught up in a rush at one position, I would rather load up at RB and then QB and take my chances on building depth later on at WR. Would this strategy bite me in the rear?

So you really dont see QB's as having more value than RB's with this setup and point value? I was concerned with this setup it looks like a good QB can be close to 30 or more points a game, which seems to devalue the other positions. I was thinking two of the top 10 QB's would equal 3 top 12 RB's week in and week out, this would tend to make me want to pick up QB's first.

Do you think this all depends mostly on the draft day run? I am concerned if I go RB/RB in first two rounds I will lose out on an elite QB. Honestly I think with the increased WR positions and the depth there missing out on top 10 WR will not hurt my team. My opinion is that with the increased WR positions it dilutes the value of the top WR's even with the point per reception scoring. Where as the QB and RB positions get so thin so quick and they are consistently worth more points. So I am tempted to go RB/QB/RB/QB or some sequence in the first few rounds.

Does anyone have experience in a league with two QB's? What was the general draft day trend? RB's then QB's then WRs? I dont want to get caught up in a rush at one position, I would rather load up at RB and then QB and take my chances on building depth later on at WR. Would this strategy bite me in the rear?

One of my leagues tried it a couple years ago ('04). 6 pts per TD and bonus for distance / -1 for INT / Bonus at 250 yds and again at 300 yds / incremental points for number of completions. I liked it but it was voted down for the next season.

Some of the guys went after QB's early and pretty much ended up with the same overall QB stats at the end of the year as those of us who waited to take them based on their value relative to the QB position. The way it looks right now it'll be Manning very early (I think too early) then a block of five or six guys and just below that another block of five or six guys. Insert Palmer where you think but I'm guessing he misses at least a month (no matter what they say in Cincy) so I have him in the 1st group after Manning. The difference in avg. points per game for the 10-12 QB's after Manning should be around 4 per game from the 1st guy to the last guy and within the two tiers the QB's should be within a couple points of each others per game average.

Consider who'll be available to you in terms of RB's and WR's if people do draft guys like Hass, Brady, Bledsoe, McNabb, Bulger, etc. in the second and third rounds... Most who go after a QB too early will be chasing RB's and productive WR's for the next several rounds and they'll wind up with the guys who have question marks due to their role in the offense or their likelihood of injury. This should pave the way for you to grab a QB late fourth/ or fifth round and a second around the 9th/ 10th round who both will be in very much the same neighborhood scoring wise as the ones who went early. Excluding Manning.

Obviously you have to pay attention at your draft to determine when to pull the trigger based on what happens but I wouldn't worry too much about a run on QB's since most of them are in the middle of the pack with a couple stand outs and a few bums. This is exactly what I did and the guy who won the league that year did. He also got Volek off the waiver wire to go with Favre and Del Homme who were drafted pretty much where I drafted Bulger and Brees that year (early 5th and early 9th).

I would do a few mock dry runs with differing scenarios as far as QB's go to see who'd be available to you if it did happen that way. I know I'd rather have someone like Droughns as my #3 RB or someone like Burress as my #2 WR to go along with my QB's than either Droughns as my #2 RB or Burress as my #1 WR and almost the same QB's. Just a thought.

Cool that is what I needed to hear. I was worried that having never played this format, I would miss out on QB's if I went two RB's early.

What do you think about WR's position in draft, considering we start 3 with two more flex positions available to them? Does this dilute the WR's value?

Having so many positions to fill 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1WR/RB, 1WR/TE, 2 TE, 2 K, 2 Def, 4 def players, which positons do you see as important to key on in the draft? I was thinking RB, TE then QB's/WR's but this would give me no elite WR's. However if the large number of WR slots devalues their point totals overall perhaps its ok to let the WR position slide?

If you can get Manning with your first round pick grab him. Qb's will be huge in this league. You'll see. I guarentee the guy with two top Qb's will be unbeatable in this format. You will see.