Sign in to follow this  
RedzoneMonster

K. Benjamin's Knee and Funchess

Benjamin not practicing again today (Thurs). I read somewhere that if he played Benjamin would be facing the better of the 2 CHI CBs and Funchess would actually have the better matchup. Generally speaking, if a #1 WR sits does the CB assigned to him suddenly cover the #2 WR (Funchess), or does that CB just cover someone else?

I'm benching Kelvin for D Martin (flex). Don't know how hurt he is and ain't worth the risk of him being a decoy... or Cam having yet another bad day.

Kelvin is a freakish athlete, but his career is wasting away in CAR. And now he's got knee issues.

I guess my real question is does it help Funchess this week if Kelvin sits? I know the obvious answer is YES, but if it means the better CHI cornerback that was supposed to cover Kelvin will now cover Funchess maybe it’s not better for him? Or is that better cornerback still going to stay on the side of the field that Kelvin was going to be on?

Some corners only play a side.

So it really depends on the player himself.

Benjamin not practicing again today (Thurs). I read somewhere that if he played Benjamin would be facing the better of the 2 CHI CBs and Funchess would actually have the better matchup. Generally speaking, if a #1 WR sits does the CB assigned to him suddenly cover the #2 WR (Funchess), or does that CB just cover someone else?

The majority of defenses put their CBs on one side of the defense and keep them there. KC and Marcus Peters is an example that comes immediately to mind.

Per PFF's Shadow Coverage Matrix, here are the only CBs who have shadowed consistently this year:

Patrick Peterson

Darius Slay

Xavier Rhodes

Janoris Jenkins

Morris Claiborne

Of that group, only Peterson, Rhodes and Jenkins could be considered "giant killers." Slay and Claiborne are above average and are tough matchups for non-elite receivers, but they are not "avoid at all costs" kind of matchups for those same wideouts.

• Like 1

Officially questionable. In a tough road matchup I think I'm going to bench him even if he plays for a high floor play like fowler.

The majority of defenses put their CBs on one side of the defense and keep them there. KC and Marcus Peters is an example that comes immediately to mind.

Per PFF's Shadow Coverage Matrix, here are the only CBs who have shadowed consistently this year:

Patrick Peterson

Darius Slay

Xavier Rhodes

Janoris Jenkins

Morris Claiborne

Of that group, only Peterson, Rhodes and Jenkins could be considered "giant killers." Slay and Claiborne are above average and are tough matchups for non-elite receivers, but they are not "avoid at all costs" kind of matchups for those same wideouts.

Definitely a save-for-future-reference post.