Sign in to follow this  
Lee Smith and Harold Baines elected to the HoF by Today's Game Era Committee...

That's it. Time to close down the baseball HOF.

Nearly 2900 hits and 1600+ RBI is such a pedestrian career. I am for kicking all 20 guys that have done it out of the HOF. :thumbsup:

Nearly 2900 hits and 1600+ RBI is such a pedestrian career. I am for kicking all 20 guys that have done it out of the HOF. :thumbsup:

top 10 mvp TWICE in 21 years. 9th and 10th

6 time all star in 21 years :lol:

playing 21 years in baseball is not impressive. get that sh1t out of here.

top 10 mvp TWICE in 21 years. 9th and 10th

6 time all star in 21 years :lol:

playing 21 years in baseball is not impressive. get that sh1t out of here.

Pretty much agree with this---wonder how many of those All-star games were because the rules mandated a player from every team had to be represented.

I guess Dwight Evans should be waiting by the phone for his call?

I guess Dwight Evans should be waiting by the phone for his call?

Keith Hernandez too

All Keith had to do was play 21 years. Why didn't he?

are you saying playing 21 in baseball is impressive? like it's some hall of fame feat

The exact opposite.

are you saying playing 21 in baseball is impressive? like it's some hall of fame feat

The exact opposite.

Especially when you play the last 14 almost exclusively at DH

Some pretty good tweets...

@AaronGleeman

Harold Baines was on the ballot as recently as 2011 and received 4.8% of the vote. It was his fifth straight year with a vote total below 10%. Why, just seven years later, do 16 people get to decide that he's now a Hall of Famer when 95.2% of the voters didn't think he was one?

@robneyer

Let's be frank: The elections of Jack Morris, Lee Smith, and (especially) Harold Baines are fully intended by voters to troll everyone who believes in objective analysis. They've lost power everywhere but here, but by God they're gonna use it. Embarrassing to Hall (or should be).

Totally agree on Jack Morris, another one that didn't deserve enshrinement...

Meanwhile, they still won't let Bonds and Clemens in...

The more that this crap happens, the more and more I agree with edjr about the baseball HoF...

Comparing Baines and Jack Morris is stupid. Morris is a legend.

Comparing Baines and Jack Morris is stupid. Morris is a legend.

In his own mind...

In his own mind...

Pitched in huge games and win them. Ace of a few championship teams. Legend.

The exact opposite.

Agreed, anyone capable of playing 20+ years in MLB, should be banned from the Hall. In fact let's go 15. :thumbsup:

So if Lee Smith is in, should Mariano get his own wing?

Another longevity whooore.

Yeah, he needed those last few years to cement his legacy as the GOAT

Yeah, he needed those last few years to cement his legacy as the GOAT

I grade him lower for not retiring earlier. Effectiveness has no bearing on it.

I grade him lower for not retiring earlier. Effectiveness has no bearing on it.

He was closing games in the ALCS the year before he retired.

Pitched in huge games and win them. Ace of a few championship teams. Legend.

Can someone be considered a legend and still not deserve being in the HoF? If so, carry on.

My standards for HoF are way different than the current standards. In my lifetime (Tigers fan since mid 70s) I would say that there is one certain HoFer that played for the Tigers and that's Al Kaline. Cabrera should be when he retires. Trammell, Morris, Whitaker, Gibson, etc were all good players that had some great seasons and post-season accomplishments, I just don't think they are Hall of Famers.

Can someone be considered a legend and still not deserve being in the HoF? If so, carry on.

My standards for HoF are way different than the current standards. In my lifetime (Tigers fan since mid 70s) I would say that there is one certain HoFer that played for the Tigers and that's Al Kaline. Cabrera should be when he retires. Trammell, Morris, Whitaker, Gibson, etc were all good players that had some great seasons and post-season accomplishments, I just don't think they are Hall of Famers.

:first:

Couldn't have said it any better...

I see some of your point, but from a NY Yankees fan point of view, it's all about winning. And winning in the big spot. Morris did that a bunch. The rest of you can have your stats. We like titles.

Brewer fan checking in and I agree with all of that except Trammell, I think he's a HOFer. Don't even consider it borderline, he was great with the bat and the glove. Can't believe he wasn't voted in, thought that was nuts.

Dale Murphy better be selected using this process or baseball is a joke.

Brewer fan checking in and I agree with all of that except Trammell, I think he's a HOFer. Don't even consider it borderline, he was great with the bat and the glove. Can't believe he wasn't voted in, thought that was nuts.

Had 200 hits in a season once. Over 25 hrs and 100 rbis in a season once. Career .285. Couple gold gloves. Current HoF, i wont argue. My opinion if HOF not even close.

I am probably the most strict HOF type guy that there is, its all filled with garbage. If I was in charge it would be you get a vote after 5 years retired, then after 6 years (for situations like Alomar who was only snubbed cause of stupid press ). After that sorry. Maybe a 20 year committee type vote, but thats it

In my opinion pretty much you are a HOF guy or you aren't being out longer (or having a worse class) isnt a reason to let someone in.

example to me Fred Mcgriff should be in the HOF, but I certainly can see the case why he isn't, if a guy is that debatable he probably isn't a HOFer

maybe something like 50% on your first ballot you get to stay on another year only. I dunno

also anyone who votes for the HOF and doesn't pick a guy like Tony Gwynn, Mo Rivera, Junior, as a yes in the first year should lose their vote

• Like 1

Dale Murphy better be selected using this process or baseball is a joke.

Unfortunately I doubt Murph ever gets in the Hall...

neither should ever be in, but neither should Baines, Raines, Smith

this is simply not true.