Sign in to follow this  
Brutal Brutus

McCaffrey & Cook

Don't underestimate how much playing together for a year helps an Oline get better.

Not to mention adding talent to it. It's not like the OL is the same as last year and they are guaranteed to play as bad. Also, what did they have in their backfield?

Not to mention adding talent to it. It's not like the OL is the same as last year and they are guaranteed to play as bad. Also, what did they have in their backfield?

Don't even remember. McKinnon and ASSiata?
  • Like 1

I'm not trying to say Cook is equal to Elliott. When I see people make claims such as saying someone is being pure ignorant and saying that another player is far superior I become curious and actually look to see if this person is correct or just full of crap. Being a college fan and B1G fan I have seen plenty of Elliott and I've heard some of Cook. I know they are both very special talents so I thought I'd look them up. I myself don't really have another way to compare them other than stats since I'm not a scout.

I go by scouting reports, not stats. Stats are worthless because systems, situations, and coaching are extremely volatile.

TBay timeout....

You're admitting to not know college football yet...

You're attacking my opinion of "best talent I've seen COMING OUT OF COLLEGE"....

TBay I thought we were friends bro? Clemson and Florida were 2 of the best defenses in the nation last year.

Look what Dalvin Cook did to them.

I don't care what he did in any game, or 2, or 3... it's about the skill set you bring to the NFL. Elliott is the complete package from all aspects of the game. You will never find one scouting report that will say the same about Cook. If Cook is the best college talent you've seen coming out of college, then the only conclusion I can come up with is that you don't watch a lot of college football. Heck, I don't even think he's the most talented back in this draft.

In general, forgive my usage of the word "ignorant". I meant it in it's formal usage, not informally with the intent on being rude.

I don't care what he did in any game, or 2, or 3... it's about the skill set you bring to the NFL. Elliott is the complete package from all aspects of the game. You will never find one scouting report that will say the same about Cook. If Cook is the best college talent you've seen coming out of college, then the only conclusion I can come up with is that you don't watch a lot of college football. Heck, I don't even think he's the most talented back in this draft.

In general, forgive my usage of the word "ignorant". I meant it in it's formal usage, not informally with the intent on being rude.

All is forgiven ma brudda all love.

Just saying that same NFL.com scouting report you looked up compared both RBs to Edgerring James...

The point I'm making is I do my own scouting reports BY WATCHING COLLEGE FOOTBALL lol so my opinion is based on what I see going into the draft.

It's so easy to say in hindsight that Zeke was a sure thing, can't-miss prospect because of his success last year. Watching him in college I didn't see anything too special. Big frame with crazy athleticism including hurdle but he's more of a one-cut, hit the hole runner (perfect for Dallas system).

For the simple eye test, Dalvin Cook was one of the best college RBs I've ever seen. In terms of all around talent. Vision, strength, elusiveness, pass catching, everything.

That's all I'm trying to say TBay. Take it for what it's worth, just an opinion :)

I go by scouting reports, not stats. Stats are worthless because systems, situations, and coaching are extremely volatile.

Scouting reports can be very, very wrong as well. Remember JaMarcus Russell? He was the most physically talented prospect since John Elway and had an arm better than Brett Favre. LOL

Scouting reports can be very, very wrong as well. Remember JaMarcus Russell? He was the most physically talented prospect since John Elway and had an arm better than Brett Favre. LOL

True, but they're more reliable than using stats. Nothing is 100%.

True, but they're more reliable than using stats. Nothing is 100%.

I think you've got to use both and then some. Evaluating players can be very tough since you can never fully know if a guy can mentally handle the professional level of football.

I think you've got to use both and then some. Evaluating players can be very tough since you can never fully know if a guy can mentally handle the professional level of football.

You do have to use both, but stats are weighted less simply by the fact that competition level, coaching, and team competition vary greatly. I mean, go look at Jeremy McNichols and try to convince me that stat-wise, Cook was so much better than him. It's all about competition level is why McNichols was drafted in the 5th round and Cook in the 2nd. Competition level is what gets sifted out through the scouting report. As I said, nothing is 100%, but I think everyone here believes that while the stats are very similar, Cook has a better chance to succeed in the NFL (at a higher level), than McNichols... but it doesn't mean we're all right.

Scouting reports are just glorified opinions.

I formulate my own.

I don't watch the games, plus I'm not a scout... nor pretend to be one, so I take "their" words for it.

I wish I can draft Cook in the third round. Hasn't him move closer to second round by now?

He was immediately moved to the starting spot by coaches. Beside O line, opportunity is the next best friend for RB.

I wish I can draft Cook in the third round. Hasn't him move closer to second round by now?

He was immediately moved to the starting spot by coaches. Beside O line, opportunity is the next best friend for RB.

Yea I'm thinking by next week he will be a 2nd rounder if he plays well in 3rd preseason game.

I don't watch the games, plus I'm not a scout... nor pretend to be one, so I take "their" words for it.

Writing articles for NFL.com doesn't make you an NFL scout either lol and pretending? Sure we are.

It's a FANTASY team lol

I do a little scout work to for my fantasy football teams. Been doing it 22 years now. I am considered a legend in my tiny small circle :lol:

Was not particularly high on him, but beginning to think McCaffery could be a season-changer. He is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. Only needs a tiny seam to take it to the house.

I am now targeting him aggressively in all drafts.

• Like 1

Writing articles for NFL.com doesn't make you an NFL scout either lol and pretending? Sure we are.

It's a FANTASY team lol

My only point was to say that I'm not trying to sit here and say "I am right, you need to listen to me". Just giving my opinion based on what I read.

I've found that the NFL.com draft profiles are an abridged version of scouting notes. Why read 5 or 6 different things when you can read just one? I used to read numerous write-ups and it just took up too much time. I'm lazier these days, so one is good enough. :doublethumbsup:

My only point was to say that I'm not trying to sit here and say "I am right, you need to listen to me". Just giving my opinion based on what I read.

I've found that the NFL.com draft profiles are an abridged version of scouting notes. Why read 5 or 6 different things when you can read just one? I used to read numerous write-ups and it just took up too much time. I'm lazier these days, so one is good enough. :doublethumbsup:

Your opinion is very strong for Zeke and not so strong for Cook. Just saying from watching both in college, their talent level is not far off. Where Zeke is stronger, Cook is more elusive. If Zeke was drafted to Jaguars last year I'm almost certain your opinion on him would be slightly different right now.

Conversely, if Cook was drafted by the Cowboys last season he would have garnered the same amount of hype and he would have been a 1st round pick just as Zeke was.

Your opinion is very strong for Zeke and not so strong for Cook. Just saying from watching both in college, their talent level is not far off. Where Zeke is stronger, Cook is more elusive. If Zeke was drafted to Jaguars last year I'm almost certain your opinion on him would be slightly different right now.

Nah, Zeke - from everything I read, said that he was a superstar... regardless of situation. I said as much before last years draft. I even said I think he should go #1 to the Titans and I would draft him #2 in the fantasy draft. Elliott by all indications was transcendent. He was a better prospect than Peterson. Heck, after the trade I said the Rams should dump the turd they have and draft Elliott #1. I'd still would have taken him #2 in last years fantasy drafts.

Nah, Zeke - from everything I read, said that he was a superstar... regardless of situation. I said as much before last years draft. I even said I think he should go #1 to the Titans and I would draft him #2 in the fantasy draft. Elliott by all indications was transcendent. He was a better prospect than Peterson. Heck, after the trade I said the Rams should dump the turd they have and draft Elliott #1. I'd still would have taken him #2 in last years fantasy drafts.

No way Jose. Peterson scored better in every measurable. 40 time, vertical leap, etc.

Peterson was a transcendent talent as a freshman at OU. He was turning heads every single game. Zeke is a one-cut runner. Peterson can do literally anything. He can run you over, hurdle you, or make you miss with a disgusting juke.

Look how good Peterson was with those terrible Vikings teams.

I'm surprised anyone on this board could compare anyone to Adrian Peterson. I hear people (including scouts) compare Fournette to Peterson and I think that's ridiculous as well. Fournette is no Peterson either by any stretch.

Zeke has played one season. Lets not declare him at the level of some of the greatest RBs to play the game yet.

On talent alone I do believe AP was a bigger and brighter prospect coming into the NFL, but were't there some injury concerns with him? Maybe not major ones, my memory isn't that great. Yet, Zeke had no injury concerns and was touted as a complete back that could run, catch and pass block on day one in the NFL.

On talent alone I do believe AP was a bigger and brighter prospect coming into the NFL, but were't there some injury concerns with him? Maybe not major ones, my memory isn't that great. Yet, Zeke had no injury concerns and was touted as a complete back that could run, catch and pass block on day one in the NFL.

The only thing I can remember about AP coming into the league was that he was an upright runner and would probably get hurt which would lead to a short career. Guess they were wrong.

Quick check and it looks like he missed 3 games with a sprained ankle and broke his collarbone on his last play, I think. Probably enough for some scouts to have included injury history into his report. I dunno.

He broke his collarbone his junior season by diving into the end zone untouched lol just landed wrong.

both of these guys are moving up in drafts because:

1) rb2 and rb3 are less predictable (more scarcity)

2) both happen to be looking good in their preseason games

this is giving owners more confidence to take the chance on the unknown vs the field in those tiers

No way Jose. Peterson scored better in every measurable. 40 time, vertical leap, etc.

Peterson was a transcendent talent as a freshman at OU. He was turning heads every single game. Zeke is a one-cut runner. Peterson can do literally anything. He can run you over, hurdle you, or make you miss with a disgusting juke.

Look how good Peterson was with those terrible Vikings teams.

I'm surprised anyone on this board could compare anyone to Adrian Peterson. I hear people (including scouts) compare Fournette to Peterson and I think that's ridiculous as well. Fournette is no Peterson either by any stretch.

I didn't compare Peterson to Elliott... Elliott is way out of Peterson's league. :thumbsup:

Zeke has played one season. Lets not declare him at the level of some of the greatest RBs to play the game yet.

This is about coming out of college, not what they did in the pros.

Unlike Elliott, Peterson was allergic to the pass and was never considered a good pass blocker or route runner.

I didn't compare Peterson to Elliott... Elliott is way out of Peterson's league. :thumbsup:

And Blount is going to outperform Gurley this season.

Who said that?

Didn't you say that in the Gurley thread? Did someone else say that? I may have to double check.

Update: I looked back and it was you but you did not specifically say that Blount would outperform him. You did say Gurley was an RB5 for you though and you thought it was going to be very close.

He said he has Gurley ranked at 50. I'd love to know the 49 other RB's he feels should be ranked higher than Gurley! lol

Hey, at least give us 5-49. :D

It is amazing how many people run with a narrative and stick with it. His sophomore year (2015, I swore McCaffrey was 220 pounds with the way he ran over some defenders.

When I said in my draft profiles he has no major weaknesses (only things to tighten up), I wasn't kidding. In the right offense, I could see him being this generation's Marshall Faulk or Brian Westbrook. Folks don't want to take my word for it? Former Panthers GM Dave Gettleman said he was comparable to C-Mart as an inside runner. If J-Stew was out of the picture, I might be willing to draft McCaffrey in the first round of fantasy drafts.

Westbrook is the perfect comparison, I couldnt think of the right comparison out of the gate but that nails it. I think he has the talent, and also the pedigree which a lot of people underestimate, to become Marshall or LT

Conversely, if Cook was drafted by the Cowboys last season he would have garnered the same amount of hype and he would have been a 1st round pick just as Zeke was.

Zeke was more of a sure thing. not because he was a better runner, but because he was an elite blocker. I knew that his blocking would not keep him off the field and that's a big deal when drafting a rookie because that is one of the things that keeps a top rookie on the bench. (that and fumbling)

I don't think Cook would be a first round pick like the Zeke if he was drafted by the Cowboys.

Second rounder.

The Zeke was a perfect fit for the Cowboys.

Didn't you say that in the Gurley thread? Did someone else say that? I may have to double check.

Update: I looked back and it was you but you did not specifically say that Blount would outperform him. You did say Gurley was an RB5 for you though and you thought it was going to be very close.

Correct. I think Gurley (for fantasy purposes), will score more because of pass catching points he'll bring. But I think the value of Blunt is better. I also think Gurley is a really bad RB. The ONLY reason I think he scores that many fantasy points is volume, not because of talent.

He said he has Gurley ranked at 50. I'd love to know the 49 other RB's he feels should be ranked higher than Gurley! lol

Hey, at least give us 5-49. :D

It's because I don't WANT him is why he's ranked that low. I want to make sure that he's never at the top of my BPA board when I draft. I've made that pretty clear.

It's because I don't WANT him is why he's ranked that low. I want to make sure that he's never at the top of my BPA board when I draft. I've made that pretty clear.

Oh come on, we want to see the 49 guys that you're valuing higher than him. We all love a good laugh. Share with the group. You'll feel so much better about it. LOL

I can't wait to come back to this and/or the Gurley thread late in the season!! :D

Oh come on, we want to see the 49 guys that you're valuing higher than him. We all love a good laugh. Share with the group. You'll feel so much better about it. LOL

I can't wait to come back to this and/or the Gurley thread late in the season!! :D

It's actually quite simple. It's every RB in the league. I would take every other RB in the league over Gurley.