Sign in to follow this  
edjr

If Russel Wilson isn't black enough. Is Colin Kaepernick too black?

Can you be "too black" in a black person's eye?

Has anyone ever been too white? Jim Bakker?

Not with the first name of Colin.

What about those prison tattoos? He should be called Colin Blackernick.

Colin isnt that black, hes more urban. He could easily be white with as many tattoos and hats etc.

Too black would be something like the real africans with accents and stuff, the get made fun of in the african american community but only lightheartedly. Not black enough is when a guy articulates himself well and carries himself with a proffessional demeanor. Thats like being the teachers pet in high school. I think being just black enough means you are barely able to understand them when they talk due to sever southern accent (regardless of where they are from) or severe ebonics. If you speak like you are educated its like your the nerd in class.

are you saying that white people think he's less black because doesn't fit the stereotyped box whites try to place all black people in? he has 2 black parents so i don't see how he could be less than black than anyone else.

are you saying that white people think he's less black because doesn't fit the stereotyped box whites try to place all black people in? he has 2 black parents so i don't see how he could be less than black than anyone else.

It has nothing to do with that

Also it is black teammates saying this not white people

For lack of better term they r calling him and uncle tom

Too black was an issue back in the early 1900's.

Wikipedia - Paper bag parties were African-American social events at which only individuals with complexions at least as light as the color of a brown paper bag were admitted.

From 1900 until about 1950 in the larger black neighborhoods of major American, "paper bag parties" are said to have taken place. Some organizations used the "brown paper bag" principle as a test for entrance. People at many churches, fraternities and nightclubs would take a brown paper bag and hold it against a person's skin. If a person was lighter or the same color as the bag, he or she was admitted. People whose skin was not lighter than a brown paper bag were denied entry.

Kapernick would have passed! However the term "too white" or "too black" among blacks today has less to do skin color and really means "too classy" or "total scumbag."

It has nothing to do with that

Also it is black teammates saying this not white people

For lack of better term they r calling him and uncle tom

nooo....really?? no way. prove that.

just read two articles and now i see this is about his relationship to the front office and his playing a role in having another teammate being traded.

i don't believe those tensions exist. that is an old way of thinking and i truly do not believe AT ALL that there is ANY black unity among athletes especially young ones. that's an old way of thinking. from my own experience, black high performing athletes are basically gods in their high schools and colleges. their formative years were spent being accepted, not rejected, so they probably have found no use in sticking to being in a black clique or being pro-black. i just don't see it at all. i think it's b.s. maybe if this were the 90's, but certainly not now. that time is gone.

i do however see class issues that may be mislabeled as black issues being a problem.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, as I even consider Drew Brees to be just a touch too black.

As someone who has shook his hand, I agree with this.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/charles-barkley-russell-wilson-not-black-enough/index.html

(CNN) -- Charles Barkley hasn't met a sensitive topic he couldn't dig into, and now he's speaking on what he calls a "dirty, dark secret" in the African-American community.

During an interview with a Philadelphia radio station, Barkley expounded on claims that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson wasn't liked by some of his teammates in part because he wasn't considered to be "black enough."

Barkley said he wasn't at all surprised.

"There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don't have success," Barkley said. "It's best to knock a successful black person down 'cause they're intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they're successful. It's crabs in a barrel. ... We're the only ethnic group that says, 'hey, if you go to jail, it gives you street cred.' "

The concept of "crabs in a barrel" isn't new, and it's universal. If you've ever seen a bucket of crabs at the market, the ones at the bottom will try to pull down the crabs that are closer to the top.

"I lived this, and if it weren't for my parents I wouldn't have pushed through it," one Twitter user said in response to Barkley's comments.

Andy Dalton is waaaaaay too Ginger.

He really is.

He's the most orange redhead I've ever seen.

I bet the sun melts his skin

are you saying that white people think he's less black because doesn't fit the stereotyped box whites try to place all black people in?

Is this one of those pot/kettle things? :unsure:

I find this not black enough shlt to be beyond stupid. It takes a real POS to think a black man who is articulate isnt black enough.

I find this not black enough shlt to be beyond stupid. It takes a real POS to think a black man who is articulate isnt black enough.

racist

I blame all the damn mudsharks for watering down the race.

Who else is going to bang the fat chicks with short hair?