Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Women and children 1st. Maybe in 1950, sure, not in 2017.

Great, save all the women and children so you can have a world full of cry babies.

Humans have a storied history of interfering with natural selection process.

No we don't because it's impossible for us to interfere with it. We are part of it. You wouldn't say a lion was interfering with it by eating a gazelle.

No we don't because it's impossible for us to interfere with it. We are part of it. You wouldn't say a lion was interfering with it by eating a gazelle.

letting women and children off a sinking boat and leaving the men to fend for themselves isn't changing natural selection :wacko:

letting women and children off a sinking boat and leaving the men to fend for themselves isn't changing natural selection :wacko:

The fact that we are human, and we are the ones making that decision, makes letting woman and children get off the boat natural, so it is still natural selection. That is what frank is saying.

I agree. I hate when people use the word "unnatural" there is no such thing. It doesn't exist, everything in this universe is natural.

No it isn't. Are you disagreeing with me or him?

The fact that we are human, and we are the ones making that decision, makes letting woman and children get off the boat natural, so it is still natural selection. That is what frank is saying.

I agree. I hate when people use the word "unnatural" there is no such thing. It doesn't exist, everything in this universe is natural.

wow

I don't understand the message of this thread. Are you saying that they should not be first or are you saying that they are no longer being treated with the same courtesies as they were in 1950?

I don't understand the message of this thread. Are you saying that they should not be first or are you saying that they are no longer being treated with the same courtesies as they were in 1950?

I was expecting a video. The thread assumes we know what the heck it's talking about. :dunno:

Are you saying that they should not be first

Correct.

It was 1980 and contained some of the classics like Everybody Wants Some and The Cradle Will Rock. An underappreciated gem on this album is Romeo Delight. Some of EVH's classic work.

• Like 1

Not saying this is right, but it's just like the pussification of this country is natural when we have had it soooo easy for so long.

I think many folks in the face of catastrophe would worry only about saving themselves. Those who think of others are true heroes just by the good virtue of their thoughts, regardless of whether or not their actions (i.e. letting women and children go first) result in lives saved.

Also, I frown at the growing population of men who are no longer gentlemen. Give up your seat...hold a door...pay a compliment. It's not that hard. I hate douches on the subway who sit while the pregnant woman stands above them and then practically run over others to get off the subway. For what?

• Like 1

Also, I frown at the growing population of men who are no longer gentlemen. Give up your seat...hold a door...pay a compliment. It's not that hard. I hate douches on the subway who sit while the pregnant woman stands above them and then practically run over others to get off the subway. For what?

dating life is tough when you get older.

I think many folks in the face of catastrophe would worry only about saving themselves. Those who think of others are true heroes just by the good virtue of their thoughts, regardless of whether or not their actions (i.e. letting women and children go first) result in lives saved.

I hate this too. Nobody has any respect anymore. any class. We are a very shallow self absorbed people anymore.

I have a personal list of emergency priority in case stuff goes down. Numero uno, then everyone else.

Not what I was referring to. Say someone is road racing, gets into an accident and is put on life support instead of letting him die of his own stupidity IS interfering with natural selection. Any time you choose to save a life that would be lost due to circumstance (stupidity, disease, poisoning, etc) is interfering.

In your example with the lion, say one was injured and couldn't chew it's food. The other lions would just let it die. Interfering for them would be chewing food for the injured lion and leaving it so it could eat until it got better.

Well put. In grocery store parking lots look for someone unloading their groceries and put their shopping cart in the stall for them. Some times people are so shocked they don't know what to say. Hold the door for people, let them go first if they've only got an item or two.

Not what I was referring to. Say someone is road racing, gets into an accident and is put on life support instead of letting him die of his own stupidity IS interfering with natural selection. Any time you choose to save a life that would be lost due to circumstance (stupidity, disease, poisoning, etc) is interfering.

No it isn't. It is literally impossible to interfere with natural selection simply because we are inside the system. I think you are making the common mistake of thinking that "fittest" in "survival of the fittest" means something like stronger. Fitness refers to whatever it takes to survive and/or reproduce. Fitness can include getting others to take care of you. I could survive by killing my enemies, but I could also survive by getting you to kill them for me.

You may believe that taking care of the sick or disabled weakens the species. Fine, but that is still a normal part of natural selection. If too much of that occurred, the species might die out. That's still just natural selection.

If the other lions let the injured one die, that's fine. Maybe in that case the lions have an evolutionary advantage over us. Perhaps they will outlive us. Still just natural selection.

Something you may be overlooking is the concept of inclusive fitness. Inclusive fitness is your own fitness plus the effect you have on the fitness of your genetic relatives. You can pass on your genes by reproducing, but since your relatives share your genes, you can also pass on your genes by helping your relatives survive. If my cousin is injured, helping him may result in more of my genes making it into the next generation.

• Like 1

It was 1980 and contained some of the classics like Everybody Wants Some and The Cradle Will Rock. An underappreciated gem on this album is Romeo Delight. Some of EVH's classic work.

I came in to post "You can't get romantic on a subway ride"

About a month after 9/11 we had a fire drill at work. 12 story building. Everyone was going down the stairs in an orderly fashion and next thing I know some asshôle comes barreling down the stairs pushing people out of his way. I wanted to punch that punk ass bìtch in the face everytime I saw him after that. I don't see him anymore. Hopefully he got fired for being a püssy.

I got you now frank.

So a human can interfere with another species but not their own?

No. No interference is possible. Whatever happens is part of natural selection. If lions can get people to take care of them, that's just another way for them to survive. Being fast and strong increases your fitness. Getting humans to take care of you increases your fitness.

Former Subway Spokesperson Jared would disagree.

He was looking for the oatmeal!!!

Great, save all the women and children so you can have a world full of cry babies.

What we've learned in the intervening 77 years is that snowflakes come in all genders and gender orrientations.

I hate this too. Nobody has any respect anymore. any class. We are a very shallow self absorbed people anymore.

It is part of the progressive movement. Everyone is supposed to be treated equally.

About a month after 9/11 we had a fire drill at work. 12 story building. Everyone was going down the stairs in an orderly fashion and next thing I know some asshôle comes barreling down the stairs pushing people out of his way. I wanted to punch that punk ass bìtch in the face everytime I saw him after that. I don't see him anymore. Hopefully he got fired for being a püssy.

You work with George Costanza?

I hate when people use the word "unnatural" there is no such thing. It doesn't exist, everything in this universe is natural.

That's like saying radioactive waste is biodegradable... given enough time.

When humans create molecules that otherwise wouldn't exist, that's relatively unnatural.