Sign in to follow this  
brotherbock

R. Kelley - Do You Believe He Can Fly?

Sorry, couldn't resist. But, seriously, coach is saying Rob Kelley starts if Jones is out--and Jones is hurting this week now.

Anyone have some good info on Kelley? I'm a Jones owner, need to know what I could expect from this guy. I have Smallwood sitting on my bench...I think I pretty much need to grab Kelley now, yeah, drop Smallwood?

Here's Roto on Jones:

Matt Jones (knee) did not practice Wednesday.

According to coach Jay Gruden, Jones has some soreness in his knee and was experiencing pain while cutting. We'll know more Thursday and Friday, but Gruden has already hinted Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson may see more work at Jones' expense. Jones has fumbled three times this season.

The Redskins trust Jones to hold onto the ball about as much as I trust R Kelly the singer around my kid. If Jones sits out and Kelly looks good, I'm not sure he gets his job back. Healthy or not Washington seems to be trying to find someone else.

The Redskins trust Jones to hold onto the ball about as much as I trust R Kelly the singer around my kid. If Jones sits out and Kelly looks good, I'm not sure he gets his job back. Healthy or not Washington seems to be trying to find someone else.

And Kelley is by all accounts great in pass protection, while Jones is getting blown up. That keeps Kelley on the field more.

I think I'm too high on Smallwood for little to no reason, other than how fragile Ryan Matthews is. Small isn't likely to do much this week, as the Iggles don't seem to care about Matthews fumbling. I think I need to grab Kelley. Or 'Fat Rob' as he's called, I just learned. I'll drop Smallwood for Fat Rob.

I was looking for someone else to see this. I am DESPERATE for RB (lost AP Lacy Simms now Coleman) Melvin Washington x2 are my only healthy backs. Is Kelly worth a roster spot? Also looking at Blue... good lord

I was looking for someone else to see this. I am DESPERATE for RB (lost AP Lacy Simms now Coleman) Melvin Washington x2 are my only healthy backs. Is Kelly worth a roster spot? Also looking at Blue... good lord

I pulled the trigger, fwiw. Smallwood isn't likely to do much, and I have a reasonably good waiver priority to get him back if he does, plus an IR system to stash Jones if he's out. Kelley has done okay in limited action, the coaches and Cousins say good things. And, if Jones is out, he's a starting two-down RB. Not in a committee so much as just having Thompson as a third-down back. If Thompson is available and you're in ppr, I'd get him first, of course. But he's not in my league. Kelley is big and slow, but a downhill runner who seems to have good instincts and work ethic. And he has much much better ball protection than Jones.

So I dropped a small value guy for him, could help me this week.

I pulled the trigger, fwiw. Smallwood isn't likely to do much, and I have a reasonably good waiver priority to get him back if he does, plus an IR system to stash Jones if he's out. Kelley has done okay in limited action, the coaches and Cousins say good things. And, if Jones is out, he's a starting two-down RB. Not in a committee so much as just having Thompson as a third-down back. If Thompson is available and you're in ppr, I'd get him first, of course. But he's not in my league. Kelley is big and slow, but a downhill runner who seems to have good instincts and work ethic. And he has much much better ball protection than Jones.

Good input thanks Bock. Pretty competitive league Thompson is looong gone. seriously best available are Blue, Kelly, Bookers backup (name escapes me) Richard (oak) Bush.... yup THIN. After losing all my RB I'm starting a Washington for God's sake

Good input thanks Bock. Pretty competitive league Thompson is looong gone. seriously best available are Blue, Kelly, Bookers backup (name escapes me) Richard (oak) Bush.... yup THIN. After losing all my RB I'm starting a Washington for God's sake

Blue or Kelley are the best bets there, as one or both might start this week. No one seems to be freaking out about Miller's shoulder, though, so at the moment Kelley has the more likely path to starting. And Jones has a number of strikes against him, Brutus is right. The Texans like Miller, so if Blue plays this week, he won't take over the job in any way. Oakland's backfield is back to being Murray's no question. Bush...nope. He got one carry after Shady left. And who knows if they'll even sit Shady, the morons.

After watching his long run in the Philly game and clips of him at Tulane (hard to adjust and project into an environment w a starting NFL D opposing him on these)..but the big man is pretty shifty when he hits the 2nd level to my eye. He's got zero extra gear mind you.. but I could see him not being terrible if Jones has to sit for any reason.

After watching his long run in the Philly game and clips of him at Tulane (hard to adjust and project into an environment w a starting NFL D opposing him on these)..but the big man is pretty shifty when he hits the 2nd level to my eye. He's got zero extra gear mind you.. but I could see him not being terrible if Jones has to sit for any reason.

It's kinda like they replaced Alf with that no second gear part :) Thanks for the input.

Ooh, just found this nugget from Hribar over at Roto. Makes me feel good about my purchase:

• Matt Jones' snap percentage over the past four weeks has been 66 percent, 56 percent, 41 percent and 32 percent.

<p>

Ooh, just found this nugget from Hribar over at Roto. Makes me feel good about my purchase:

• Matt Jones' snap percentage over the past four weeks has been 66 percent, 56 percent, 41 percent and 32 percent.

Nice data. This is sad I'm even thinking about a back up (3rd string) wash rb

Nice data. This is sad I'm even thinking about a back up (3rd string) wash rb

lol, yup. I'm fighting for my playoff life here. If Buffalo sits Shady, then I can start Gilly and I only have to flex Jones/Kelley. I'll be cheering for Fat Rob to take this over though, I think. I hate the drama of Jones.

And, if Jones is out, he's a starting two-down RB. Not in a committee so much as just having Thompson as a third-down back.

I am looking at him too, after losing CJ today and needing a plug and play RB this week with L. Bell on bye. However, Thompson strikes me as much more than a 3rd down back. Last week he logged 12 carries for 73 yards to go along with 7 receptions for 40.

I am looking at him too, after losing CJ today and needing a plug and play RB this week with L. Bell on bye. However, Thompson strikes me as much more than a 3rd down back. Last week he logged 12 carries for 73 yards to go along with 7 receptions for 40.

True. But Gruden even said in his bit about Kelley likely starting that Thompson is "small" for a starting back.

He reminds me of my jeeeeep! He moves better than his size suggests he should be able to. Kellz/Fat Rob is basically being handed a starting bruised role. Get in on it. Only note: Washington's schedule gets tough after the bye.

With the news of reed playing and jones out I dropped crowder for kelley as a one week flex play. Crowell ran well against cincy def last week I could see similar production this week. Fwiw likely choosing between him and crow who gets a tough jets run def.

I don't think this is much of a buy and hold though with the bye and brutal run defenses on deck basically the whole rest of the way after that.

With the news of reed playing and jones out I dropped crowder for kelley as a one week flex play. Crowell ran well against cincy def last week I could see similar production this week. Fwiw likely choosing between him and crow who gets a tough jets run def.

I don't think this is much of a buy and hold though with the bye and brutal run defenses on deck basically the whole rest of the way after that.

I didn't think Matt Jones was an incredible get when I traded for him...but he was what I could pry away from another owner, and I still need RB help. Riding Quizz/Gilly/TyMont doesn't seem like a long-term strategy for the season :) So Kelley or Jones works as well as the other. Worst thing for me is Thompson taking over as 3-down back.

87 yards, 4.1 average, and a TD did he do enough to keep the job?

I hope not, I traded for Matt Jones on Saturday!!!!! :D

I hope not, I traded for Matt Jones on Saturday!!!!! :D

I hope you didn't give up too much for him :doh:

I didn't think Matt Jones was an incredible get when I traded for him...but he was what I could pry away from another owner, and I still need RB help. Riding Quizz/Gilly/TyMont doesn't seem like a long-term strategy for the season :) So Kelley or Jones works as well as the other. Worst thing for me is Thompson taking over as 3-down back.

The Packers are just going to ditch the running game and instead utilize short passes as their runs and use a giant fullback for short yardage (Ripkowski, fitting name). Ty is a big dude - running back build but with the finesse and quickness of a wide receiver so anytime he matches up against a linebacker he's going to get open. Honestly it's even better than having Eddy Lacy back there plodding around - Montgomery might mess around and be your best RB before the season is over but the only thing that worries me is that they'll probably utilize him between the tens rather than in goal to go distances.

He is a slow but hard-driving banger, plain and simple.

I haven't seen him play. Is he similar to a CJ Anderson or Jeremy Hill, just a big battering ram between the tackles? I've heard he is good in pass protection, but can he catch the ball? Does he have any speed? Good vision,cutting? Where are the Redskin homers?

Fat Rob is a good between the tackle runner..

-very rarely looses yards. does not go down on first contact.

-shifty for his size, but not very fast

-runs hard and punishes people

he is still young and inexperienced. I would expect him to get better as the season goes. Skins haven't utilized his receiving so I doubt thats his strength, plus Thompson is in on all the 3rd downs

Fantasy Relevance:

-He'll get you between 70-100 yds most games with an occasional TD.

-Skins struggle in the red zone in part because while the O line is great and pass pro, its just average at Run blocking and with Williams(LT) out for 3 more games could struggle against better Ds. Also they dont seem to like to run the ball in the red zone which again limits Robs TD potential.

Personally i also feel that he is a bad game away from going back to 50/50 split with Matt Jones again since Jones is the more dynamic talent.

Recommendation:

Ride him in deeper leagues while you can and hope for the best or try to trade him now.

• Like 1

Fat Rob is a good between the tackle runner..

-very rarely looses yards. does not go down on first contact.

-shifty for his size, but not very fast

-runs hard and punishes people

he is still young and inexperienced. I would expect him to get better as the season goes. Skins haven't utilized his receiving so I doubt thats his strength, plus Thompson is in on all the 3rd downs

Fantasy Relevance:

-He'll get you between 70-100 yds most games with an occasional TD.

-Skins struggle in the red zone in part because while the O line is great and pass pro, its just average at Run blocking and with Williams(LT) out for 3 more games could struggle against better Ds. Also they dont seem to like to run the ball in the red zone which again limits Robs TD potential.

Personally i also feel that he is a bad game away from going back to 50/50 split with Matt Jones again since Jones is the more dynamic talent.

Recommendation:

Ride him in deeper leagues while you can and hope for the best or try to trade him now.

Quality assessment.

What is his Dynasty value.

Thinking of selling high in ppr

I'm going to sort of play devil's advocate on this one. Kelley had a great week, but I'm not actually sure how good the guy is. If his usage stays the same I think he's an RB2 with upside, which is great for late in the season. He's also fresher than a lot of guys who have gone. Green Bay is just really bad on defense. Their secondary is so horrible that it opens much more run game. But his schedule is honestly not all that great.

You could do a lot worse at RB than 20+ carries in the Redskins offense. Skins are making a playoff run and Fat Rob is helping them salt away games and score in goal line situations. He's earned the coaching staffs trust. Something Matt Jones was unable to do. Lack of pass catching keeps him out of the upper echelon of RBs but he's a solid RB2 going forward.

I'm going to sort of play devil's advocate on this one. Kelley had a great week, but I'm not actually sure how good the guy is. If his usage stays the same I think he's an RB2 with upside, which is great for late in the season. He's also fresher than a lot of guys who have gone. Green Bay is just really bad on defense. Their secondary is so horrible that it opens much more run game. But his schedule is honestly not all that great.

This. I played him and was surprised/ ecstatic (as a Skins fan) he did that well on Sun night . Skins just manhandled GB, yet this game should be looked at as more of anomaly. Its a still a pass first team.

If you wanted to trade him now though(not saying you should) .. you should be able to pull a top 5 player back.

Bell cow

Hold

He won't get 3 tds every week but he runs tough and you can tell his o line likes him