Sign in to follow this  
forensicguy

How did I do, ...in that other draft?

...you know, ...that stupid, ...unimportant, ...OTHER draft?

Yahoo! 12-team ProLeague, 5 x 5 H2H categories. I drew the 2nd spot, ....which I HATED, ...because I figure Trout to be #1, ...and Kris Bryant to be the most favorable #2. But we all know that Bryant will usually go about 5th, ...or even a bit later. My thinking: The dude has 1B/3B/OF eligibility. So, ...when those 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks come your way, you have the flexibility to go a lot of different directions. While I see the reason for having Altuve ranked in the Top 5 (he's the clear #1 at 2B, ...and the talent at 2B PLUMMETS, as you get to the middle rounds). I fail to see how Betts, Kershaw, Altuve, Harper, and Arenado (drafted in that order) are *vastly* better category studs. At least Machado offers his amazing talent, ...plus 3B,SS eligibility. Anyway, the draft went as follows:

1.02 - Bryant, 1B/3B/OF

2.11 - Marte, OF

3.02 - Cruz, OF

4.11 - Cespedes, OF

5.02 - Archer, SP

6.11 - deGrom, SP

7.02 - Segura, 2B/SS

8.11 - LeMahieu, 2B

9.02 - Contreras, C/OF

10.11 - Salazar, SP

11.02 - Benintendi, OF

12.11 - Robertson, RP

13.02 - Velasquez, SP

14.11 - Healy, 3B

15.02 - Smyly, SP

16.11 - Swanson, SS

17.02 - Iglesias, SP/RP

18.11 - Neris, RP

19.02 - Drury, 2B/3B/OF

20.11 - Lynn, SP

21.02 - Foltynewicz, SP

22.11 - Haniger, OF

23.02 - Hudson, RP

A few notes, after drafting my 7th round pick, I noticed that the dude drafting out of the #1 spot had Sale, Hanley (1B), and FIVE OF's! Talk about locking yourself away from talent at various positions!

When it came to my 8.11 pick, there was LeMahieu and a big drop-off in quality. Meanwhile, both Lucroy and Contreras were there. I knew the #1 slot guy needed both 2B, ...and catcher. So, ...I took LeMahieu and HOPED to get Lucroy. I was fine with Contreras. Seem like a big sacrifice?

When it came to 16.11, Iglesias was there, ...with MRI results looking okay, ...but a likely delayed start to April baseball. Sam Dyson was also there, ...a safer pick. But the #1 guy had only Tulo at SS, ...and I feared that he would snap up Swanson--who was NEXT on my pre-draft rankings. So, ...I lost Dyson, ...and ended up with Robertson, Iglesias, Neris, and Hudson as my relief squad. When you get nothing for HOLDS, ...that is pretty thin. Seem like a big sacrifice? Anyway, ...I've got a WW request in to exchange Hudson for Jeanmar Gomez. If that goes through, ...I might be fine on the saves side.

I need a back-up who qualifies at 1B, ...other than Bryant. That will open up Bryant to fill in off days for my 3B and OF spots.

idk. not as good as my draft here... bam!

on a serious note, as far as holds go, i could see hudson getting the closer job in Pitt and Gomez losing it in Philly..... Also I tend to be a not pay for saves guy in most leagues. If you think about it, several closer jobs will be fluid throughout the year. Even guys you think are locks for 35 will have some blow ups and someone else will steal the job. Or an older guy on a losing team will get traded somewhere to be a setup man.

As for Bryant... I agree with you completely regarding position eligibility. I do disagree about the 2B dropoff. I think even a guy like Forsythe is a sneaky pick if you wait at 2B. So while there may technically be that dropoff, its not like there are no good options if you wait.

The only reason i would see Harper elevated is depending on how many OF's you need to start. I remember being in ESPN leagues where you had to start 5OF

again this adds to the appeal of Bryant (who right now is in my OF in THIS league)

overall seems pretty good. While I am a big Archer fan, I dont exactly like him as a 1 but DeGrom may end up as your 1. Archer has the talent but not the supporting cast int he tough AL East.

If I recall, Yahoo uses 3 OF, no MI/CI and 2 Utils? Assuming that to be the case, you are golden in OF and I wouldn't even consider using Bryant there. The real question mark looks to be the CI slots. Bryant pretty much HAS to fill 1B for you. Healy needs to impress when the real games start. If he's for real, you are looking good with the bats. Surprised Swanson was still there at 16.11 - nice grab...

I'm kind of sketchy with the pitching, to be honest. If you do get Gomez, you can at least win a handful of weeks in saves over the course of the season. But, saves ALWAYS become available at points during the year. A front 3 of Archer, DeGrom and Salazar would have me nervous, but may work out pretty well in a weekly H2H format. Smyly is what he is and Folty hasn't shown anything overly inspiring to this point. Velazquez is the wild card. Lynn is a lottery ticket. You'll need an overachiever or two from that group to really kick some boo-tay... :-)

This criticsim may cut in deep and I mean no offense by it. But here it is brutally honest (haven't read any other responses yet either). Besides what does my opinion matter anyway?

Bryant could easily be the #1 player on a given year. Yeah Trout is a bit more established but in 5x5 Bryant's extra power 40+ potential could play much better than Trout's 30 HR power. You made the right decision with the #2 pick. Honestly #2 is the only good pick outside of #1 because I think Trout and Bryant are in a league of their own. Yes I love Mookie and he is close to them but I'm not sure his RBI totals will hang. But in 5x5 Mookie if he leads off and wins a batting title could really hold it down in AVG for you. Either way I'd draft Bryant over him without a second thought.

Me personally I'm not a big fan of Marte (I think Cruz and Cespedes both easily out prouce him I see PIT's lineup struggling this season they look like a clear bottom 3 team in HRs to me) or Archer (I think deGrom out produces him) I think they are both more expensive than what they've proven and their upsides are vastly over rated on the mainstream level. But if Archer is back to his 2015 form my previous statement will make me look like a fool. Swanson (inflated ADP due to #1 pick status which was based more on his glove rather than his bat Bregman and Benintendi have both thus far proven to be more advanced hitters) and Folty could prove to be good values but there are a lot of high upside SSes / 2Bs I'd rather gamble on (floors may not be as high but I believe their upside to be much higher) as well as many many other SPs I'd rather gamble on rather than Folty.

But outside of that I love your picks deGrom down. As you can see I share many of the same players Contreras (I believe will be as good as Gary Sanchez but rounds later), Benintendi (drafted him last year and think he'll be great in an AVG league), Healy (I think he could be a 3rd rounder in next year's draft), Haniger (one of my favorite sleepers this season).

I'd really try to grab another closer if not two in 5x5. Be sure to get one off the wire and I'd honestly try for an early trade. Maybe buy low on Familia with the suspension? .... It's cloudy on how many saves Iglesias will get (committee over there). Neris is a better pitcher than Gomez but looks like Gomez is heading into the season with the role, besides how many save opportunities are the Phillies really going to net this year? I'm very confident they end up at the bottom of the NL East. Daniel Hudson may end up being a nice last pick of the draft but again doesn't have the job yet. David Robertson is solid but The White Sox aren't going to win a lot of games (yes bad teams can sometimes hold their own in save ops) but Robertson will likely get trade this season to a contender who probably already has a closer so chances are his situation goes from bad to worse. So again I project his season saves cautiously. In a 12 team league I'd think you'd be in the bottom 2 in saves with the RPs you are currently rostering. Again it's a volatile position and anything can happen but it's a numbers game and I don't see you competing in saves right now. In 5x5 every category counts.

Oh dang you're in H2H not roto... My bad, ignore what I said about saves. I'd honestly be quick to punt saves depending on how your fringe closers start to pan out. Maybe trade off all your saves early in the season.

Also I agree you should search for a back up 1B once you find out who is dropable or who is on the trading block.

OK, I have one - 12 team, traditional 5x5 roto, standard Yahoo lineup, but only quirk is a 1600 IP limit as opposed to the default of 1400; good SPs go FAST here (you can see effects based on some of my picks below) - random draft generator gave me the 1st pick.

1.01 - Mike Trout, OF

2.24 - Corey Kluber, SP

3.25 - Jake Arrieta, SP

4.48 - Brian Dozier, 2B

5.49 - Kyle Hendricks, SP

6.72 - Jose Abreu, 1B

7.73 - Seung Hwan-Oh, RP

8.96 - Adam Jones, OF

9.97 - Roberto Osuna, RP

10.120 - Dallas Keuchel, SP

11.121 - Lorenzo Cain, OF

12.144 - Jeff Samardzija, SP

13.145 - Jose Peraza, 2B/SS/OF

14.168 - Jake Lamb, 3B

15.169 - Evan Gattis, C

16.192 - Raisel Iglesias, RP

17.193 - Yuli Gurriel, 3B

18.216 - Logan Forsythe, 2B

19.217 - Yasmany Tomas, OF

20.240 - Matt Holliday, 1B/OF

21.241 - Ervin Santana, SP

22.264 - Hyun-Jin Ryu, SP

23.265 - Nate Jones, RP

24.288 - Tyler Saladino, 2B/3B/SS

Hated having bookends for this draft ... The extra volume applied to the IP limit pretty much forced me to go double SP at the 24/25 turn (the big 4 SPs plus Sale and Lester were gone when it got to 24). After that, I felt like I was chasing a viable arm at each turn and scrambling to fill in bats. The bright side is that everyone else was doing the same, so I ended up with bargains like Dozier at 48, Abreu at 72 and Adam Jones at 96. Unfortunately, none of those 3 move the needle for me personally. I took them based on value vs. ADP/Rankings when my turn came up more so than actually wanting those players.

This team feels like a middle of the road group to me - a little bit of everything - a lot of nothing... Need a couple of overachievers. Slim pickings on the WW, but a few names of interest are there - Aaron Judge, Ender Inciarte, Jedd Gyorko, Brandon Philips are there for bats. Amir Garrett and Matt Boyd for arms...

Thoughts?

Yeah wow 1400 IP limit is crazy.... 1600 isn't as intense but still smaller than most. The smallest IP limit league I play in is 1750 and most are 1800 or 2000.

My favorite picks:

Osuna at 9.97 - Could be just as good as the "elite" closers this year

Peraza at 13.145 - All that speed and all that eligibility. He's likely to be Trea Turner minus 20 HRs.

Lamb at 14.168 - I've always been a believer in the Lambino. He's finally really starting to put it together at the MLB level.

Gattis at 15.169 - Would possibly be the pick of the draft if this was an OPS or TB league. Still an awesome pick in AVG.

Tomas at 19.217 - his oblique injury must have caused him to slip was never a believer in him but his 2nd half was great last year

Holiay at 20.240 - this guy has a lot of good baseball left in him, a dedicated pro. If he plays long enough he could be hall bound.

Ryu at 22.264 - Everyone forgot about Ryu this is awesome value if he's anything near what he was in '13 / '14.

Picks I wouldn't have made:

Dozier at 4.48 - Love him in OBP, OPS leagues.... AVG I'm avoiding him, I think last years AVG is an outlier, so he'll hit .280 lol.

Jones at 8.96 - I tend to look past guys once they reach their lat 20's and stop improving.

Samardzija at 12.144 - I'd rather take a gamble on other pitchers especially with low IP limits.

Santana at 12.241 - Similar to the above

6.72 - Jose Abreu coul be a very good value here. Does he get traded and to where is the question? I think he stays unless The Sox get blown away by an offer like with Eaton.

17.193 - Yuli Gurriel could be a wild card lottery ticket. I'm an AJ Reed guy so I hope he sucks personally. But time will tell.

Agree about Dozier - not a favorite of mine at ADP of 36 and Yahoo rank of 33. At 48th overall, he was tough to pass on. Same applies for Abreu (ADP 51, Rank 43) - tough to pass at 72. Jones (82, 73) at spot 96 seemed good as well. Not wowed by any of the 3. If they play to the level I drafted them at, I'll be pretty happy. If they play to their rankings or ADP, I'll be ecstatic.

Glad to see some positive feedback on the picks in the second half of my draft. I felt pretty good about a lot of them. Peraza has been a target of mine in all drafts. I reached a bit here because I lost out on him here and in my other draft.