Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Does anyone win with RB's anymore?

Disagree , before ppr leagues and with the teams much more focus on the run game taking 3 Rbs in the first six rounds was what most people tried to do .

True, and is what I basically said.

I remember those days. You get into a 12 team redraft league, and 20 of those first 24 picks would be rb's. RB,RB for your first 2 picks was the norm. The guy who took a qb or a wr with one of those picks was considered the rebel.

And, if you actually drafted QB/WR or WR/WR your team was terrible and you were made fun of.

Except for Jerry Rice , even before ppr leagues he was draft in the first round most of the time .

I believe I had Curtis Martin and either Eddie George or Corey Dillon as my backs for about 5 years in row. I couldn't even tell you how many leagues. Countless.

I believe I had Curtis Martin and either Eddie George or Corey Dillon as my backs for about 5 years in row. I couldn't even tell you how many leagues. Countless.

That's a lot of touches.

Except for Jerry Rice , even before ppr leagues he was draft in the first round most of the time .

Unless that year was 1997. My first year in FF.

<--------- dude is old...er

Drafted Jerry Rice (lost after 1.2 games for season) in round 1. Round 2 picked up Carl Pickens (hyped beyond over) Round 3 Tony Banks (overhyped

Needless to say, that team didn't score much.

BTW, most should respond. Who is Pickens and Banks. That is the correct response today. But then, Pickens was preseason ranked near the top at WR. Banks too.

I started in the late 80es and J Rice was a first rounder then .

And Pickens was a high draft pick when he was around for a few seasons .

Picked third last year, and took AP finished second in a PPR 12 team. The one whom picked fourth with Antonio Brown won it all. Two picks a head of me picked Luck😝 and then Charles.

Wow how did A Brown last until the forth pick in a ppr league ?

Wow how did A Brown last until the forth pick in a ppr league ?

Well the bizarre Luck pick and I flipped a coin went with AP (prolly bought into the notion that AP would increase his receptions out of the back field😏). Seemed like they only threw to AP as an after thought and really didn't have developed plays to get him the ball in the open field, screens etc.

I think its pretty clear last year was especially bad for all top rbs drafted. Just off the top of my head... leveon (suspended & OFS), charles (OFS), lacy (fat), Marshawn (ineffected, hurt). J. Hill (bust), D Murray (bust).

With recency bias do you think that people over-adjust and really avoid any rbs this year? If so, maybe this is the year to go for RB-heavy up top and get great value. Flip your bench RBs for starters in a trade with a desperate owner who read too many WR-WR articles.

I think its pretty clear last year was especially bad for all top rbs drafted. Just off the top of my head... leveon (suspended & OFS), charles (OFS), lacy (fat), Marshawn (ineffected, hurt). J. Hill (bust), D Murray (bust).

With recency bias do you think that people over-adjust and really avoid any rbs this year? If so, maybe this is the year to go for RB-heavy up top and get great value. Flip your bench RBs for starters in a trade with a desperate owner who read too many WR-WR articles.

Rb Rb is a feast this year. You can get 2 top guys for the first time in a long time. then again, you have to pray they pan out like every other year. You need to target high upside wrs in rnd 3-4 but often times, there will still be value at rb. For example, you take 2 rbs...then in rnd 4 Lat Murray, who lets say you LOVE, is still sitting there and its really hard to pass him up. The good thing is that RBs are always valuable since they are top trade targets. So worst case scenartio is you are overloaded at RB and everyone needs rbs.

I would lean RB-WR like pretty much every year but its is really flexible this season with more wrs going in rnd 1 than ever before.

• Like 1

In a PPR league I still feel like I should go WR-WR early because there are so many RBs I like in the middle rounds. I really feel confident with getting stud WRs early then loading up on a bunch of mid round RBs and some sleepers late.

I like grabbing RBs like Matthews, Ajayi, Duke Johnson, Matt Jones, Woodhead, Sims, Powell...

Mock drafts I've been participating in have been ppr leagues .

I've gone wr wr and than some I go rb rb , I'm much more happier when I go wr wr and get value at rb late .

Gone are the days when loading up at rb in a ppr league is important IMO .

Rb Rb is a feast this year. You can get 2 top guys for the first time in a long time. then again, you have to pray they pan out like every other year. You need to target high upside wrs in rnd 3-4 but often times, there will still be value at rb. For example, you take 2 rbs...then in rnd 4 Lat Murray, who lets say you LOVE, is still sitting there and its really hard to pass him up. The good thing is that RBs are always valuable since they are top trade targets. So worst case scenartio is you are overloaded at RB and everyone needs rbs.

I would lean RB-WR like pretty much every year but its is really flexible this season with more wrs going in rnd 1 than ever before.

Another angle to consider is with the injuries and just pure busts at the RB position last year... I would think that your depth at RB is imperative now. The likelihood of your top rb going down is at an all time high. You'll need depth to salvage your season when leveon goes down week 8. Or torture your friends with lopsided offers when their top RB goes down.

Is this crazy? Is it possible to win it all without a top flight WR? How low can I go without picking a WR?

Another angle to consider is with the injuries and just pure busts at the RB position last year... I would think that your depth at RB is imperative now. The likelihood of your top rb going down is at an all time high. You'll need depth to salvage your season when leveon goes down week 8. Or torture your friends with lopsided offers when their top RB goes down.

Is this crazy? Is it possible to win it all without a top flight WR? How low can I go without picking a WR?

I have a feeling if you waited till the 4th round to get a WR you wouldn't like your team all that much.

In my auction I'd like to get 2 top WRs with 2 more decent ones. Then pick up about 6 RBs that all have a chance to do well. There are a lot of 2nd year RBs that will be cheap that could bounce back. I just need 1 of them to hit for me.

Half the top wrs will be busts as well. I can bet you right now that 2 of AB, Hopkins, obj and Julio will bust or get hurt. Last year you would call me crazy if I told you 2 of Calvin, obj, Dez and AB would be let downs. You need the guys in the next tier that become the top tier. Guys like Marshall last year. Skipping wr is fine in early rounds but you need to luck out on the ones you do take it you will be in bad shape.

Just curious did anyone win with RBs in the past? Just going by memory in my keeper league the owners of the true stud RBs seldom won the league championship.

Just curious did anyone win with RBs in the past? Just going by memory in my keeper league the owners of the true stud RBs seldom won the league championship.

Stud rbs like AP, LT, priest, Faulk etc routinely carried people to titles in the past. It's so hard to actually guess right on a first round RB now that if you do it's an advantage. I personally have not drafted a good RB in rnd 1 in a decade. Drafted tons of them, always consensus studs, always injured or busts. Decided screw that I'm taking a sure thing last year. Luck...bust. FML.

In my keeper league the team who is loaded at running back never wins. It's non ppr also.

In my big money league there is one guy who is always loaded at running back. He usually is one of the top point scorers but ends up with bad luck. I don't know how this guy does it, but he picks the break out running backs Every. Focking. Year. Back to Turner and Denagelo. Charles back from acl and Spiller when he had one good year. Last year was Ingram and Freeman. I can't remember every year, but they were all equally impressive.

How do you all feel about RB's in a TD only league? It is a 3 player keeper league. I have Gurley, D Johnson, misc WR and the 1st pick. I can't let EE go can I?

Stud rbs like AP, LT, priest, Faulk etc routinely carried people to titles in the past. It's so hard to actually guess right on a first round RB now that if you do it's an advantage. I personally have not drafted a good RB in rnd 1 in a decade. Drafted tons of them, always consensus studs, always injured or busts. Decided screw that I'm taking a sure thing last year. Luck...bust. FML.

just going by memory from my keeper going into year 20 (I think) studs and championships

Faulk & Emmitt combo - 1

Alexander - 2

Edge - 0

Holmes - 0

LJ - 0

LT - 0

AP - 1 (2014)

Westbrooke - 3 in a row

Every league is different, but our league the teams with the lower tier RBs seem to win the championships even before we switched to ppr.

How do you all feel about RB's in a TD only league? It is a 3 player keeper league. I have Gurley, D Johnson, misc WR and the 1st pick. I can't let EE go can I?

I would take Cam if he's there, but EE would not be bad.

I agree with a previous post, no one position or strategy will win. Every draft we do has some twists and turns we have to navigate thru and then you add in the FA's throughout the year. You have to have a solid draft plan and good rankings with tier drop offs and things along those lines. Then look for value while drafting, I mean in the right scenario you could be ok with 2RB's yea, but I think that's highly unlikely today. Me personally I really would only take Bell in the first round this year and maybe Miller then Gurley. There's just a very solid core of WR's that have a much lower risk factor in today's NFL vs the RB's.

Depends on your leagues scoring system, and based on that system what postion gives you the best value .

Then it's how the draft comes to you while you are drafting becomes a factor .

Not to often does someone draft a winner and never as to make adjustments during the season.

I just grab BPA when drafting. But, If a top 5 RB is available in the first round to me, I always take them first though. There are so many WR's compared to stud running backs it's a no brainer for me. Even in PPR. A reason that stats for RB's are getting leaner and leaner is due to the running back by commitee approach. It's killing the value of the RB. A lot of teams are using 3 to 4 rb's every game.

• Like 1

I have a league with limited waiver moves so I can't just keep testing out RB's and tossing them back. So getting one I can count on all year is a nice benefit, never mind the fact that I always wiff...

I have a league with limited waiver moves so I can't just keep testing out RB's and tossing them back. So getting one I can count on all year is a nice benefit, never mind the fact that I always wiff...

Maybe it would work better to grab some stud WRs so you don't have to carry a bunch on your roster then stock up on RBs. I would draft 3 WRs and 1 RB in the first 4 rounds, doesn't matter the order just the best player available. Then pick up like 4-5 more RBs through the rest of the draft hoping that one hits.

Maybe it would work better to grab some stud WRs so you don't have to carry a bunch on your roster then stock up on RBs. I would draft 3 WRs and 1 RB in the first 4 rounds, doesn't matter the order just the best player available. Then pick up like 4-5 more RBs through the rest of the draft hoping that one hits.

I try it every year and fail in this league every year. I really don't know what strategy to use but to take BPA all the way through and pray my rankings were close enough. I do know that many of the years if I had just hit on my 1st RB taken my team would have probably made the playoffs. Oh man if David Johnson falls to me.... I am probably going to cry, because I am going to have to take him and he is going to get hurt and screw my other leagues.

How many waiver transactions are you allowed? We originally started out with 6 now it is 15. We got a vote going for unlimited waiver. Looks like it will pass. So far I'm the only no vote. I thought 10 was the perfect number. You could still improve your team and not have owners whoring the waiver wire.

How many waiver transactions are you allowed? We originally started out with 6 now it is 15. We got a vote going for unlimited waiver. Looks like it will pass. So far I'm the only no vote. I thought 10 was the perfect number. You could still improve your team and not have owners whoring the waiver wire.

7 with 3 extra IR moves.

I'm not a fan on putting a limit on the amount of transactions that can be made. In my league each transaction has a fee. On game day a transaction cost $5. Monday is $4, Tuesday $3, Wednesday $2, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are all $1. Everyone has to prepay $20 for transaction fees just to make sure everyone is making moves. All the transaction fees get pooled up and go out to winners of divisions and such.

Some people have lots of money to throw around and make lots of moves but if their team still sucks it just lets the rest of us win even more.

I'm not a fan on putting a limit on the amount of transactions that can be made. In my league each transaction has a fee. On game day a transaction cost $5. Monday is $4, Tuesday $3, Wednesday $2, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are all $1. Everyone has to prepay $20 for transaction fees just to make sure everyone is making moves. All the transaction fees get pooled up and go out to winners of divisions and such.

Some people have lots of money to throw around and make lots of moves but if their team still sucks it just lets the rest of us win even more.

Its just a limit on waivers. We have unlimited trades. When we had fees for all transactions, but no one made any moves.

FF is predominantly based on skill positions players scoring based on productivity. Running backs regardless of format are always going to be productive because they handle the ball and score.

As for strategy, some feel it's best to try to get 2 studs, while others feel the mid level guys can be just as productive if not more. Depth is HUGE as injuries are common place.

If you have garbage at the RB position and don't address it, you're not likely to win your league.

FF is predominantly based on skill positions players scoring based on productivity. Running backs regardless of format are always going to be productive because they handle the ball and score.

As for strategy, some feel it's best to try to get 2 studs, while others feel the mid level guys can be just as productive if not more. Depth is HUGE as injuries are common place.

If you have garbage at the RB position and don't address it, you're not likely to win your league.

Depth at RB is my strategy this year. In the past I always had lots of good WRs and it didn't do me any good since my starters never needed to be replaced. Then I had good WRs on my bench that I didn't want to release for nothing so I would try to trade them without success. Then I just had crap for RB with plenty of WRs.

Now I want my good starting WRs with a lot of depth at RB in hoped to increase my chances at one or more becoming a stud. I think it will be much easier to pick up a WR off waivers when needed compared to finding RBs or trying to trade my extra WRs for RBs.

Awesome rule. I think I might adopt this for one of my leagues.

I just looked at the teams that won in my leagues and it looks like the common thread was DeAngelo Williams. It wasn't heavy WRs or RBs that won them the championship. They won because they got lucky with Leveon going down. I still think that the draft will favor WRs this year over the RBs. I hope that I can scoop up some good value this year at RB especially up top. I'm hoping people are thinking similar to Hawkeye and going 3WR and 1RB. I think I might flip that and go 3RB and 1WR up top.

There are so many good receivers that positional scarcity pushes me toward drafting one of Bell, Gurley, AP, Djohns. If I could guarantee it I would love to grab a top receiver and then take Charles in the 2nd. I am targeting Charles in my Auction league when he goes up.

I just looked at the teams that won in my leagues and it looks like the common thread was DeAngelo Williams. It wasn't heavy WRs or RBs that won them the championship. They won because they got lucky with Leveon going down. I still think that the draft will favor WRs this year over the RBs. I hope that I can scoop up some good value this year at RB especially up top. I'm hoping people are thinking similar to Hawkeye and going 3WR and 1RB. I think I might flip that and go 3RB and 1WR up top.

Deangelo Williams, Duke Johnson, and Devonta Freeman were the common players on the championship teams in the couple of leagues I was in last year. Most were guys that were drafted in the middle to late rounds who just performed outstandingly.