Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Best profit margin small business...

Okay... so brain storming a little tonight with a few buddies. We're all around 3-6 years from being retirement eligible and kicking around going into some sort of business as a secondary career.

Say 3 of us... we each have a pension and decent 401k we can draw off of, so this wouldn't be make or break, but of course we'd want it to be as profitable as we can.

Hypothetically say we have a county, large enough to have several hundred county offices. So whatever we sell that county, if we're within a 10% margin of the current best price, they'd be required to buy from us. Just some county law, I dunno we have some sort of dispensation to buy from a military veteran owned company... anyway...

What would be some best products to sell for a decent profit?

I thought right off the bat, cleaning supplies... no matter what business or entity you have, all need cleaning supplies.

Paper or paper type products? Hell I dunno? Some sort of uniform company?

Just say ttht whatever it us, if you can give a good price, you can corner the market. What's not a heavy lift that can make decent money?

Replying to your thread title:

Fountain drinks, pasta, pizza, mattresses, furniture

As for your OP which is specifically tailored to county offices I have no idea.

Toilet paper, toilet seat covers?

Probably easy to figure out through google but maybe there is a a GC member with insider knowledge.

Interesting thread.

Example of Texas county expenditures, line items start around page 8 https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcomptroller.texas.gov%2Ftransparency%2Freports%2Fexpenditures-by-county%2F2015%2F96-410.pdf

Wouldn't benefit the county(unless you put together a show for them) but fireworks is the answer.The other plus is you'd actually work 3-4 months out of the year.

To address the thread title? What you want to get into is either motivational speaking of some sort, some sort of annual gig. Or find out what kind of professional blah blah blah certification they need and be the one to administer it. You don't have to be the professional, you just have to be the one administering it.

Almost 100% profit. Almost zero overhead. For that matter, we know you enjoy men's wieners, be the one to administer random drug testing.

You .gov leeches with your pensions don't have enough money?

Go golfing and killing man.

Also...firearms training is the next big thing...but seriously, don't trust me.

• Like 1

I always thought ice cream in the right location. It's one of the few businesses where branding doesn't seem to matter. People might not stop to eat at a McDougals but would definitely get a cone at a Dairy Whip or whatever you would choose to name it. I'm sure soft serve is highly profitable and the novelties are at least double your money. Hand-dipped is a bit more labor intensive but profitable as well.

Banana Stand

I hear you can also sell Afghans there as well.