Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

All time FF unsung hero?

Mine was maybe Darrell Jackson (the original Djax) in 2001 - he almost single handily secured my very first FF title. Had a week 15 and 16 stretch with like 300 yards and 4 TD's.

curious as to the all time unsung hero's of peoples fantasy teams

Jay cutler in 2008. He helped me win my first ever championship with 1 pads td, 300 yds, and 2 rush tds. It helped to fend off a huge day from brees and deangelo williams punching in 4 scores.

Antonio Bryant had a monster stretch during the FF playoffs a few years back that helped me to the title.

Curtis Martin in '04 rings a bell. Don't know why he was written off in a lot of the rankings, but it won me a :first:

Eric Moulds, 1998. Picked him up early due to bad injury bug. Titletown.

Lineup at the end of the season was something like:

Marino

Edgar Bennett

Robert Smith

Moulds

Tim Brown

Bobby Engram

That won my first title.

FF is all luck.

Priest Holmes in 2001. Grabbed him in around the 6th in 2001, first year in KC and he had 2000 total yards and 10 TDs. Huge part of my first FF championship.

Guy was an absolute monster the next two years. 24 and 27 total TDs in 02 and 03. Then injuries and he was done. One of the best 3 year runs in FF history.........

• Like 1

Antonio Bryant is probably the most unsung hero listed so far, but I think I got that beat with Dolphins RB, Lamar Smith. In the 2000 season, I took a late round flyer on him and he somehow emerged as the 'phins feature back - I don't even remember who his competition was. Anyways, he had his 15 minutes of fame that season and I rode his 1300+ total yards 16+ total TDs (I had to look those stats up) to my first championship.

The later years of Jerry Rice while in Oakland. He was old as dirt. Everybody expected that this would be the year he faded. He never faded. He was still a stud the day he retired. I think people were spooked by Irving Fryar's disappearing act from FF relevance the year after his last Pro Bowl because I'd get Rice mid-late 3rd round all those years, fatal attraction. He wasn't the Calvin Johnson-style #1 WR by a mile anymore but he never let me down.

Another would be the Packer WR2 flavor of the year during the Favre-Freeman years. Over the course of a ~five year span, they never did find a WR2 they liked. Every year was a camp battle for the #2 job. Every year it seemed, it's be round 10/11 and I'd take the two top candidates back-to-back. Bill Schroeder and friends may have been sucky real life WRs but he and his Packer #2 counterparts were always providing solid WR3 value that you'd get for discount bin cheap.

You could pull the same #2 WR trick with young Payton Manning in Indy until they drafted Reggie Wayne. Qadry Ismael we're actually talking about you.

Dez Bryant, Tony Gonzales, and Alfred Morris last year. Helped me secure the title last year. Hoping to find great pickups like that this year

Priest Holmes in 2001. Grabbed him in around the 6th in 2001, first year in KC and he had 2000 total yards and 10 TDs. Huge part of my first FF championship.

Guy was an absolute monster the next two years. 24 and 27 total TDs in 02 and 03. Then injuries and he was done. One of the best 3 year runs in FF history.........

I wouldn't call one of the greatest fantasy forces of all time unsung.

David Boston was a freaking beast for me one year.

john taylor of the 49ers ...wow cant even recall what yr but i was so far behind in that weeks ff game ..and it was on a monday night game and taylor had two td rec of over 85 yards might have even been both over 90 but then the yards he had wow i won that night one guy left way behind ..now that was a great night of ff

Domanick Davis (later changed his name to Domanick Williams). He had a 3 year career but averaged over 1,000 rush yards, 9+ tds, and 50+ receptions. He was a straight ppr beast on a really bad Texans team. I also remember Peerless Price having a phenomenal season for me one year.

Domanick Davis (later changed his name to Domanick Williams). He had a 3 year career but averaged over 1,000 rush yards, 9+ tds, and 50+ receptions. He was a straight ppr beast on a really bad Texans team. I also remember Peerless Price having a phenomenal season for me one year.

Yes. I hated DD because the Texans refused to go to a pass-happy offense even when they were getting blown out. It seems that every time I played against him, he would rack up yards and get 2 garbage-time TD runs in the 4th quarter (basically killing the clock for the opposing team).

Billy Volek (QB) - sweet Jesus Volek came on strong the same year Larry Johnson took over for the injured Priest Holmes. Volek and LJ won me a title.

Charlie Garner (RB) - can't remember the years, but Charlie was always a mid round RB that put up 2nd rounder stats.

James Stewart (RB) - came in mid season for the injured Fred Taylor and carried me to a title.

Scott Mitchell (QB) - 1995, 4300 yards and 36 TDs total. And it's hard not to include Brett Perriman (108rec, 1488yds, 9td) with Mitchell - everyone knew Herman Moore and Barry Sanders would be great, but nobody expected me to make out like a bandit drafting the "B" guys from that team in the mid rounds.

Eric Metcalf and Terance Mathis in 1995... Love the run and shoot that year...

Unsung? Rod Smith WR Denver. Every year the guy slid in drafts and every year he put up numbers.

Unsung? Rod Smith WR Denver. Every year the guy slid in drafts and every year he put up numbers.

Easy Ed McCaffrey too. I had EZ Eddie for years & he always did me solid

Won my first FFL championship in college picking up rookies Fred Barnett and Calvin Williams off of waivers from Philly. This was the time of news paper box scores and I think my second or third year playing. Standard scoring but lot's of bonus points for lenght of TDs. One of my buddies was a Philly fan told me about these guys and started showing me thier box score stats. Pretty amazing reception TDs considering the year. I think one had 9 or 10 and the other had just a one or 2 less tds.

Big names were Randal Cunningham, Keith Byars, and Keith Jackson at that time. No one drafted these 2 rookies.

Olandis Gary. Dude put up near Terrell Davis numbers. I remember picking him up and then dropping him later in the week for some scrub. I'm still kicking myself all these years later.

Patrick Jeffers and Steve Beurlein of the Panthers in 1999. Arguably the best qb/wr duo in the last half of the season and especially in the playoffs.

Patrick Jeffers and Steve Beurlein of the Panthers in 1999. Arguably the best qb/wr duo in the last half of the season and especially in the playo

Along with these two, I would also list Wesley Walls. I had all three of these guys in '99, which was my very first year playing FF, and they pretty much won me the title. Beuerlein threw 36 td's and Wall and Jeffers had 12 each that year. The last game of that season, which was my league's Super Bowl, Beuerlein threw 5 td's, 2 each to Jeffers and Walls.

Another player who didn't get a whole lot of fanfare was Cincy RB Rudi Johnson. Not a flashy player, but very solid and consistent with three straight seasons of double digit td's.

Also, sort of in the same mold as Johnson, was Denver RB Mike Anderson. Helped a lot of teams out with 15 tds in '00. I believe he went back to FB for the next few years when Clinton Portis came along, and then returned to the RB position in '05 and scored 13 tds.

Chris Cooley. Dude had 7 catches for 77 yards and 3 TDs in a week 15 game against Dallas, which propelled me to my first league title. I think the year was 2005 or 2006.

Was always a solid, yet unsung fantasy tight end.