Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Ronald Jones, Buccaneers

Fantasy folks finally catch a break in terms of immediate impact. There are worries about his ability to carry a full workload based on his 5-11, 205-pound frame, but he missed only one game in his three-year college career with an ankle injury and did not appear to wear down over the course of his 261-carry junior campaign. Like Kenyan Drake (my comp for Jones) and another back he is often compared to in Jamaal Charles, Jones is a very sudden runner who figures to be more than decent in the passing game despite being underutilized as a receiver during his college years. He may never be the best or most powerful runner in between the tackles, but he made serious strides in that area in 2017 and can push the pile a bit. Better yet, he recorded only two fumbles over 591 career carries. Jones is very twitchy and will make tacklers miss in the hole. At the moment, Jones is a clear 1.02 or 1.03 pick in rookie drafts. Owners in redraft formats can feel good about him as a high-upside RB2 in the fourth-round area (obviously depending on how the rest of the draft plays out).

Congrats Bucs fans I like this pick.

I wouldn't be so eager to jump on Jones in the top 3 in rookie drafts. The Bucs do like Peyton Barber and he will hold the starting job until Jones forces his way in. Even if (or when), he does, Barber will still get plenty of touches. Also, most importantly, expect Barber to get the goal line carries.

It think that, from a fantasy standpoint, Jones is as exciting of a prospect as any rookie RB not named Saquon.

Looking at the RB draft class

1- Barkley - Starter as soon as the ink on the contract is dry

2 - Penny - Crowded backfield with Carson, McKnight, Davis, and Procise on the roster.

3 - Michel - in a backfield mess sharing time with 4 other RB's and a coach that is willing to use all 5.

4 - Chubb - Has to deal with Hyde and Duke.

5 - Jones - Only Peyton Barber in front of him.

6 - K. Johnson - Though the lions have several backs, but I think his style fits more what they want to become. Blount would seem to be the main competition for his role.

7 - Guice - I really like his chances to play immediately as well, Kelly is pedestrian and I never thought Perrine was anything special

8 - Freeman - Broncos still seem to like Booker but there could be playing time if Booker continues to disappoint.

As far a the clearest path to volume touches, Jones and Freeman would only need to beat out or have an injury to 1 player to step into a lot of volume. Guice technically has 2 players in front of him but I think he's far more talented than both of those. Penny, Chubb, and Johnson all were likely drafted to warrant some volume but are in backfields that have a lot of options, and from a fantasy standpoint, I'm not sure how you can draft Michel and think you'll much consistency from him in terms of touches.

I'm sure you know Tampa much better than I do, but I do think, from a rookie redraft standpoint, that Jones has a lot of upside just because he's closer to getting touches than a lot of the other RB's are.

I think the Bucs like Barber, but with Jones they will be getting a better player with bigger play ablity.

I just hope they don't pull a M Jones and that they are smarter and will play their best play makers m

And at the rb postion that would indeed be Jones.

They dont like Barber. They played Martin all year then drafted a rookie to start. Lol

Awful pick. A satellite back who didnt catch many passes in college. A 205 lb back isnt gonna be a guy you can keep on the field for a couple series to get the lions share of carries. Steal of the draft besides Guice for dumb reasons was Royce Freeman. That guy is a 3 down RB waiting to happen and Broncos stole him round 3

Like the pick.

He's not the best rb in this past draft but I still like the pick.

They dont like Barber. They played Martin all year then drafted a rookie to start. Lol

Wrong. Martin lost his job to Barber the last third of the season. The Bucs gave Martin a new deal 2 years ago, they were clearly going to give him every chance to earn it. When he didn't, the Bucs simply moved on to Barber. They drafted a rookie because they need another RB as they only have 3.

Actually they gave that new deal too Martin because they liked him more then Barber.

Last season they indeed gave Martin every opportunity too be their rb1 and he just isn't good enough, so they had too turn it over to Barber.

They drafted an upgrade, and that's why they draft Jones.

He's not the top of the list rb in this past draft, but I believe he's better then Barber and Rodgers and Sims.

Actually they gave that new deal too Martin because they liked him more then Barber.

Last season they indeed gave Martin every opportunity too be their rb1 and he just isn't good enough, so they had too turn it over to Barber.

They drafted an upgrade, and that's why they draft Jones.

He's not the top of the list rb in this past draft, but I believe he's better then Barber and Rodgers and Sims.

No totally accurate. They gave Martin a new deal before the 2016 draft. The signed Barber as an un-drafted free agent 6 months later. So, it's not like they had to make a choice as Barber wasn't even available to the Bucs when they re-signed Martin. Remember, the Bucs didn't pick up his 5th year option, so Martin was a free agent coming off of a 1400 yard rushing season. Coming out of college, Barber wasn't a highly regarded prospect. He had to earn his way on to the team and earn his playing time. Because of Martin's injury's, suspension, and lack of performance, Barber got the job over Rodgers and took it from Martin.

Is Barber a great, RB? Of course not. But he is a quality rotational player. The Bucs do like him and will keep him involved in the running game. The Bucs also needed a RB because they only have 3, and aside from Barber, the other two are Jaquizz Rodgers and Charles Sims... whom neither are all that good. The Bucs needed at least 1 more RB. I fully expect the Bucs to draft a RB next year as well, most likely in round 2 or 3, because of the lack of overall talent at the position. I've never seen Jones play in the NFL, so I'm not counting him as an upgrade. Last year, people (Bucs fans really), felt that Jeremy McNichols was an upgrade over Barber and McNichols didn't even make the team. Now I obviously expect Jones to make the team, but it doesn't mean that in September, it's a lock, that he'll be the starter. As I said above, even if he is the starter, Barber WILL get carries/touches and will get the goal line carries.

Don't disagree about Barber getting work, I do think Jones will be rb1 come week one.

But hey we shall see.

Thanks for your reply.

Don't disagree about Barber getting work, I do think Jones will be rb1 come week one.

But hey we shall see.

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen too many poor RB's come through Tampa since Warrick Dunn left to ward off having blind faith in a rookie.

D Martin was pretty darn good his rookie season.

I think he is the best back after Barkley. He is explosive and makes the first tackler miss and can catc the ball. I am going after him in all of my leagues

:doublethumbsup:

he was. and he was pretty damn good 2 years ago too.

but I think the guy has some problems.

It is likely a dressing room thing, but could well also be a drug issue.

one way or another I dont think his head is screwed on straight.

I really dont think the problem is a lack of talent. I think its more like hes an idiot and the team is tired of his crap.

You trying to throw off league mates that come here. Because no chance hes even the 4th best back in this draft. A 205 pound satellite back that doesnt catch passes. Royce Freeman will out score him in fantasy by triple digits next year

I think he is the best back after Barkley. He is explosive and makes the first tackler miss and can catc the ball. I am going after him in all of my leagues

:doublethumbsup:

In 6 seasons, he was worthless/useless for 4 of them.

You trying to throw off league mates that come here. Because no chance hes even the 4th best back in this draft. A 205 pound satellite back that doesnt catch passes. Royce Freeman will out score him in fantasy by triple digits next year

Triple digits? Not with Devontae Booker there. Freeman will have more playing time issues that Jones will. I don't think either, this year in fantasy, will be all that special. I'm thinking RB3's at best.

Triple digits? Not with Devontae Booker there. Freeman will have more playing time issues that Jones will. I don't think either, this year in fantasy, will be all that special. I'm thinking RB3's at best.

What does Denver think of Booker? I still have that guy as a cheap keeper but I like Freeman. In Bookers rookie year I thought I had gold when Anderson went down, but nope. And really nothing since. And now they let Anderson go and draft a pretty decent back. Do you think it will be RBBC all year, or just for the first few weeks until Freeman gets comfortable? Or neither?

In 6 seasons, he was worthless/useless for 4 of them.

Yes he was, and we chatted about that last season.

Doesn’t mean it will be the same with Jones, it’s like the person who keeps trying too compare Ron Dayne with Barkely.

Booker has been a real disappointment too me.

I think Feeeman will be the rb1.

What does Denver think of Booker? I still have that guy as a cheap keeper but I like Freeman. In Bookers rookie year I thought I had gold when Anderson went down, but nope. And really nothing since. And now they let Anderson go and draft a pretty decent back. Do you think it will be RBBC all year, or just for the first few weeks until Freeman gets comfortable? Or neither?

Honestly, I have no idea. My guess is that they do like him based on the decisions the Broncos made in the offseason. They cut Anderson just before the draft even though he was clearly a guy that was adequate and when they had no idea of who would be replacing him. On top of that, they were willing to not only not trade up to ensure they get Barkley, they didn't even take an RB in round 2. Prior to the draft, we all seem to believe that after Barkley, there about 7 other backs that were viable. The Broncos were willing to allow the 7th one to come to them instead of making a jump to ensure they get him. That lack of urgency tells me they like Booker and were fine with him and possibly another free agent or RB would be enough for them for this year.

Honestly, I have no idea. My guess is that they do like him based on the decisions the Broncos made in the offseason. They cut Anderson just before the draft even though he was clearly a guy that was adequate and when they had no idea of who would be replacing him. On top of that, they were willing to not only not trade up to ensure they get Barkley, they didn't even take an RB in round 2. Prior to the draft, we all seem to believe that after Barkley, there about 7 other backs that were viable. The Broncos were willing to allow the 7th one to come to them instead of making a jump to ensure they get him. That lack of urgency tells me they like Booker and were fine with him and possibly another free agent or RB would be enough for them for this year.

That is a pretty good take on the situation being on the outside looking in.

One of my goals every year in my league's auction draft is to find RBs that I believe in that will be cheaper in the auction so I can contract that guy for up to 4 years without too much of a cap hit. I like going RB heavy from a keeper standpoint.

I hit on Bell for 4 years back when he was a rookie, David Johnson as a rookie, and Hunt as a rookie. Kept or still have them all for 4 years on the cheap. I missed big on the Payne contract and threw him back but still have Booker through 2019 if I want to keep him. I can throw him back and get his salary back (only 3% of cap) but I don't get the contract years back (we have a limited amount of contracts that can be applied at draft time).

Anyway, I guess it's a wait and see through the preseason on this one.

Booker has been a real disappointment too me.

I think Feeeman will be the rb1.

Did he? In his rookie year, he averaged 3.5 yards per carry on a team QB'd by Trevor Siemian and followed that up with a 3.8 ypc with Siemian and Oswieler. Anderson went from 4.0 to 4.1. Maybe defenses were stacking the box and forcing the throws way more often because the QB's stunk and were predictable. Now with Keenum, defenses will have to be more cautious in their schemes and be more susceptible to the run.

Did he? In his rookie year, he averaged 3.5 yards per carry on a team QB'd by Trevor Siemian and followed that up with a 3.8 ypc with Siemian and Oswieler. Anderson went from 4.0 to 4.1. Maybe defenses were stacking the box and forcing the throws way more often because the QB's stunk and were predictable. Now with Keenum, defenses will have to be more cautious in their schemes and be more susceptible to the run.

I think drafting Feeeman showed that they the Broncos might just feel the same way, that Booker might not be good enough to be their rb1.

So yeah he did.

Thanks for the reply.

I think drafting Feeeman showed that they the Broncos might just feel the same way, that Booker might not be good enough to be their rb1.

So yeah he did.

Thanks for the reply.

Had the Broncos either traded up for Barkley, back into the first to get another RB, drafted a RB with their 2nd round pick... or even traded up back into the 2nd to get a specific RB, then I think you'd have an argument. But to me, it falls apart when they simply settled for who was there in the 3rd. To me, that says we're expecting Booker to be the odds on favorite to win the job and if someone else (Freeman in this case), wants that job, he'll have to take it and it won't just be given to him. It screams, "RBBC" to me, as the very best case scenario for Freeman.

Now, if you think Freeman will win the job, that's an entirely different argument.

To keep with the spirit of the topic, I think Jones will a part of a RBBC and he could win the starting job and get the lions share of the workload. I'm skeptical because towards the end of the season, Barber made a lot of believer's from the staff and his teammates. With an improved OLine and defense, I think the Bucs will be in a situation to have more favorable situations for Barber as well as other RB's. I think Barber will be the starter on opening day, but I believe that Jones will definitely be involved. With Freeman, I think he has a bigger uphill battle to fight. Booker has more of an investment from the team than Barber does with the Bucs. Booker will be given the reigns an it'll be his job to lose. The addition of a real QB could really help Booker and the offense. I think both Freeman and Jones will be fine players and legit contributors to their teams, but they'll be better for their team than they will for your fantasy team. At best, I think both are RB3's this season.

Had the Broncos either traded up for Barkley, back into the first to get another RB, drafted a RB with their 2nd round pick... or even traded up back into the 2nd to get a specific RB, then I think you'd have an argument. But to me, it falls apart when they simply settled for who was there in the 3rd. To me, that says we're expecting Booker to be the odds on favorite to win the job and if someone else (Freeman in this case), wants that job, he'll have to take it and it won't just be given to him. It screams, "RBBC" to me, as the very best case scenario for Freeman.

Now, if you think Freeman will win the job, that's an entirely different argument.

I think I already posted that I think Feeeman will be their rb1 week one.

I think they didn’t need to trade up for Barkely when they wanted to fill other positions, And yet they still landed a rb that’s better then any they currently roster.

They the Broncos have had a great offseason, and I would pick them as the team too beat in AFC West.

Thanks

I think I already posted that I think Feeeman will be their rb1 week one.

I think they didn’t need to trade up for Barkely when they wanted to fill other positions, And yet they still landed a rb that’s better then any they currently roster.

They the Broncos have had a great offseason, and I would pick them as the team too beat in AFC West.

Thanks

The coach said that he will be given a chance to compete for the starting job.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/5/2/17306898/royce-freeman-denver-broncos-starting-job

That makes perfect sense. The best way to get the best out of someone and to see how they handle pressure, is to put them in that situation. What Joseph DIDN'T say was "Freeman is our guy". I don't know enough about Freeman to say one way or the other about whether he will win the job or not. But I am on record as saying that the Broncos handling of the RB's this off season tells me that Booker is the starting from the advantageous position and it's his job to lose.

Royce Freeman is a 3 down work horse that can do it all. He was the third best RB in this class. Booker is a satellite back. This years rookie RB who will win your league

The coach said that he will be given a chance to compete for the starting job.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/5/2/17306898/royce-freeman-denver-broncos-starting-job

That makes perfect sense. The best way to get the best out of someone and to see how they handle pressure, is to put them in that situation. What Joseph DIDN'T say was "Freeman is our guy". I don't know enough about Freeman to say one way or the other about whether he will win the job or not. But I am on record as saying that the Broncos handling of the RB's this off season tells me that Booker is the starting from the advantageous position and it's his job to lose.

He will lose it before week 1

Royce Freeman is a 3 down work horse that can do it all. He was the third best RB in this class. Booker is a satellite back. This years rookie RB who will win your league

Thanks, Royce.

He will lose it before week 1

Maybe... maybe not. So far from the info I'm hearing, my opinion is starting to form. At this point, it sounds like he's better without pads on than with them on. Sounds like someone I want to avoid. It's early though. Plenty of time for more info.

If you loved drafting Ronnie Hillman a couple years ago you will love Ronald Jones. Hes Ronnie Hillman 2.0

If you loved drafting Ronnie Hillman a couple years ago you will love Ronald Jones. Hes Ronnie Hillman 2.0

The Bucs didn't draft Hillman a couple years ago... Denver did.

On this day the third of May i guess it’s a done deal, Booker will be the Broncos rb1.?

Of should we indeed wait and see what happens let’s say around late August?

I’m waiting and still believing that Freeman will be the Broncos rb1 week one of the regular season, and that doesn’t take place until sept.

So I’m good.

Thanks.

I meant drafted in fantasy

The Bucs didn't draft Hillman a couple years ago... Denver did.

I meant drafted in fantasy

Hillman was drafted in the 3rd round by the Broncos to be a situational/rotational RB, a change of pace type back. People drafting him in fantasy were "hoping" he'd be more.

The Buccaneers are drafted Jones in the top of the 2nd round to be an every down back in the future. They are different players. From what I've read about him, he seems like he'll be a "nice" RB, but not special. I see a RB2 type future for him.

It's hard to trust USC running backs. They run behind NFL caliber offensive lines and the ones that are good start murdering their ex-wives.