Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

Oh, let them have their fantasy. Their orange messiah is hovering around 30% approval and the guy has failed at every turn. Let them have this one. If they want to think that a few racists pretending to be boycotting football is doing some damage. just give it to them. They've had a pretty tough year.

Since the election the DOW has set over 70 new record highs

Unemployment is at a 17 year low

2 million jobs created

MAGA

Since the election the DOW has set over 70 new record highs

Unemployment is at a 17 year low

2 million jobs created

MAGA

all great things for the country. And all things that were already trending that way the last 7 years. Pee Wee Herman could have taken over as president and Obama's economy would still be buzzing along

To say the kneeling has a fraction to do with the ratings/game attendance plummeting is ludicrous. And this is just the first half of the season. Once more teams get eliminated from playoff contention, you'll see an even further decline in ratings/attendance.

It's not the only reason but it's a big part of it.

And next year when those of us only hanging around for one final year of fantasy football ditch them for good.

And next year when those of us only hanging around for one final year of fantasy football ditch them for good.

I am a year ahead of you. And by the looks of things, my timing was spot on. This year would have drove me focking nuts.

Yes. I'm trying to get my 20 plus year league to go to a best ball league. Sick of having to try and keep up with these ass-holes who don't want to play or can't act like normal people.

I am a year ahead of you. And by the looks of things, my timing was spot on. This year would have drove me focking nuts.

The hit the fan in week 2 or 3 and it's been a long slog since then.

I can't walk away my three FF leagues mid-season. I like and respect the people in there with me, they deserve better than me pouting and abandoning my team. I tell you this year feels more like a chore and an obligation than fun.

The ###### hit the fan in week 2 or 3 and it's been a long slog since then.

I can't walk away my three FF leagues mid-season. I like and respect the people in there with me, they deserve better than me pouting and abandoning my team. I tell you this year feels more like a chore and an obligation than fun.

The protests are a part of it but the fockin flags every other play and the replay garbage are what have me caring less. And the injuries and suspensions don't help. I grew up watching football in the 70's and 80's and I don't remember all these injuries. And I knew what a TD and a catch was. The refs are way too involved.

NFL Week 10 ratings declined across the board in the metered markets.

nflSundays Week 10 NFL national window, featuring Cowboys-Falcons in 86% of markets, had a 14.6 overnight rating on FOX down 18% from last year (mostly Cowboys-Steelers: 17.8) and down 20% from 2015 on CBS (Patriots-Giants: 18.3).

The 14.6 is the lowest for the Week 10 national window since 2003 on CBS (mostly Bills-Cowboys: 14.5).

It is also the lowest for the Cowboys on the FOX Game of the Week since 2008. That year, two Cowboys games pulled a lower overnight Week 1 (14.3) and Week 17 (14.3).

Keep in mind Dallas has played in front of smaller crowds on CBS. Just last week, their game against Kansas City had a 14.2.

Later in the day, Patriots-Broncos scored an 11.5 overnight on NBCs Sunday Night Football down 20% from Patriots-Seahawks last year (14.3) and down 9% from Cardinals-Seahawks in 2015 (12.6).

The 11.5 is tied as the lowest for a Patriots game on NBC since 2008 against San Diego (9.4). It matched the teams infamous Thanksgiving rout of the Jets in 2012.

Shifting to the early windows, CBS drew an 8.1 overnight for its singleheader window, down 2% from last year (8.3) and down 31% from 2015 on FOX (11.7). FOX had an 8.0 for its early doubleheader window (-23%).

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/11/nfl-week-10-ratings-decline-fox-nbc/

It will keep declining as predicted as more teams get eliminated and more people break the habit of watching football on Sunday regardless of how sh!tty the game is.

The first thing the NFL has to do, and it can be done easily, is tell the refs to ease up on the flags. Next simplify the replay nonsense. Put the freakin microscopes away. Take a couple of looks and either change it or move on. It seems every punt and most kickoffs there is a flag.

Maybe the players should practice more. The flags are the players fault, they pay more attention to scoring celebrations than the basics of the game of football. The game has become a charade!

Maybe the players should practice more. The flags are the players fault, they pay more attention to scoring celebrations than the basics of the game of football. The game has become a charade!

That's valid. But ever since the NFL went to grading these refs on every single play it's gotten out of hand. And it shouldn't take more than one or two looks to determine a catch. Perfection is impossible. Stop aggravating the viewers in the pursuit of it.

That's valid. But ever since the NFL went to grading these refs on every single play it's gotten out of hand. And it shouldn't take more than one or two looks to determine a catch. Perfection is impossible. Stop aggravating the viewers in the pursuit of it.

Replay has not helped the game it has only helped revenue. I am for getting rid of the entire system.

The first SB was played in 2 hours and 37 minutes. That should be the gold standard.

Replay has not helped the game it has only helped revenue. I am for getting rid of the entire system.

The first SB was played in 2 hours and 37 minutes. That should be the gold standard.

Your comment made me think of something. The half-time show would never allow that to happen to the SB. However, here is what it has made me think:

- Has the entertainment value of football been part of the problem? They have tried to get new audiences interested in football by providing non-game related entertainment. Teasers, graphics, stats, etc.

- Presumably, the growth of interest in football has been, at least in part, due to those casual fans. These fans are people that may not have ever been true football fans, but fans of fantasy football and when their team is doing well. Just there for the entertainment and not the sport/game.

- Is it possible that those "fans" are now the ones no longer paying attention? Maybe they really were never true fans of the sport and they get swayed by the next new thing very easily and football is no longer that for them. Is what we are seeing just a correction?

:dunno:

Your comment made me think of something. The half-time show would never allow that to happen to the SB. However, here is what it has made me think:

- Has the entertainment value of football been part of the problem? They have tried to get new audiences interested in football by providing non-game related entertainment. Teasers, graphics, stats, etc.

- Presumably, the growth of interest in football has been, at least in part, due to those casual fans. These fans are people that may not have ever been true football fans, but fans of fantasy football and when their team is doing well. Just there for the entertainment and not the sport/game.

- Is it possible that those "fans" are now the ones no longer paying attention? Maybe they really were never true fans of the sport and they get swayed by the next new thing very easily and football is no longer that for them. Is what we are seeing just a correction?

It's a lot of things. The protests and the thug culture is one of the reasons. But putting that back in the bottle is difficult. Improving the product is doable.

Trump should tell those sons of b1tches to get in line.

That should fix it.

Yes

It is not about the game anymore and I think the pure football fan is leaving too. The mighty ship known as the NFL has sprung many leaks and they are not fixing any of them.

ditch the focking 'where the knee was when he went down' crap and spot the ball where the ball ended up.

at least a half hour of every game is us waiting for the refs to figure out what inch line the spot is.

ditch the focking 'where the knee was when he went down' crap and spot the ball where the ball ended up.

at least a half hour of every game is us waiting for the refs to figure out what inch line the spot is.

My pet peeve is reviewing every scoring play or turnover. And please figure out wtf constitutes a catch already.

Do you think the NFL shows the national anthem at the super bowl on TV? I say not without a mandate that all players stand.

They'll cart out some Wounded Warriors to hold hands with them (and a bag of cash donations to the WW Project). Check back in and let me know if I am right as I won't be watching.

Monday nights game was the 4th lowest rated MNF since espn took over. That's horrible for two teams in contention. There have been a lot worse matchups than that over the years. No way espn can pay what they paid last time for rights to these games. Revenue will go down as a result and so will the pool for salaries. Nice job guys. Maybe CK can make it up to you.

I think ESPN should add a 3rd guy into the booth, maybe a comedian.

I hear Louis CK is looking for work

Monday nights game was the 4th lowest rated MNF since espn took over. That's horrible for two teams in contention. There have been a lot worse matchups than that over the years. No way espn can pay what they paid last time for rights to these games. Revenue will go down as a result and so will the pool for salaries. Nice job guys. Maybe CK can make it up to you.

I hope you stretched real good before that reach.

I hope you stretched real good before that reach.

Could you please be a bit more precise with your trolling? What exactly is the reach? Thanks

Could you please be a bit more precise with your trolling? What exactly is the reach? Thanks

He's obviously stuck in troll mode, he isn't quite sure what he was responding to.

The idea that protests are going to be the factor that hurts TV ratings so badly that it hits the players in the wallet.

He's obviously stuck in troll mode, he isn't quite sure what he was responding to.

Good afternoon Mr. Pot. Decide to mix things up and post a few lines instead of your usual :lol: value add?

The idea that protests are going to be the factor that hurts TV ratings so badly that it hits the players in the wallet.

It's one of the factors, and the most blatant one. We can ponder quality of play, over saturation etc, but the protests are a direct line from the product to the consumer, and enough consumers have made an issue of it that it can't be dismissed as a non factor, as much as liberals want it to be. It's real, and the NFL has taken notice. Why do you think they are having all those meetings? And why all of a sudden the PSA's of the players saying how much they love the military? Maybe if you were actually a fan of the sport this wouldn't have to be explained to you. Fantasy sure did bring a lot of doosh-nerds into the fold. Stick to the NBA.

Good afternoon Mr. Pot. Decide to mix things up and post a few lines instead of your usual :lol: value add?

Troll, deflect, troll. I'm sensing a pattern.

Poor fella.

:(

It's one of the factors, and the most blatant one.

But I just dont believe thats the case. The players could all stand at attention tomorrow and it would have virtually no affect on ratings, which are being driven more by things like over saturation, bad officiating and a bad product. So to imply that the protests are hitting players in the wallet is nonsense.

Troll, deflect, troll. I'm sensing a pattern.

Poor fella.

:(

Self awareness isnt your strong suit.

I believe if the NFL mandated all players stand for the anthem(which would be dumb by the way) ratings would still be down, significantly.

If they were somehow able to make the product instantly more watchable, the protests wouldn't mean much.

I believe if the NFL mandated all players stand for the anthem(which would be dumb by the way) ratings would still be down, significantly.

If they were somehow able to make the product instantly more watchable, the protests wouldn't mean much.

Exactly this. I also believe that the sh1t show of taking this issue to court to force players to stand would be more detrimental to the NFL than just ignoring it.

Self awareness isnt your strong suit.

I know you are but, what am I..

MDC's contribution to the Geek Club.

I know you are but, what am I..

MDC's contribution to the Geek Club.

You should change your name to Irony.

Unless you have something to add to the topic at hand I will now ignore your trolling.

You should change your name to Irony.

Unless you have something to add to the topic at hand I will now ignore your trolling.

Likewise.