Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

NFL revenue expected to hit $14 billion this year, up nearly a billion over last year:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/03/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-revenue.aspx

lol

What time is your flight?

Are we going to see the salary cap get reduced? If the next big TV deal comes in way less, I don't see how it can't.

Agreed....will be interesting. Hope it doesn't lead to lockouts or strikes...But if revenues for the teams continue to fall, there will be some rollback of these salaries. We shall see!

Guess. :lol:

I think you're FOS, but I really don't care. Maybe you'll run into Digby in your imaginary airport. He's traveling too.

I think you're FOS, but I really don't care. Maybe you'll run into Digby in your imaginary airport. He's traveling too.

You seem to care a whole lot. :lol:

The TV audience for NFL games steepened its slide in Week 11, losing 1 million viewers versus last year’s season-to-date average.

The 6.3 percent slump — worsening from comparable declines of 5.6 to 5.7 percent during the previous three weeks — plagued a week whose off-the-field drama made gridiron tackling seem almost tame by comparison.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/the-nfl-ratings-slump-is-getting-worse/

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Thursday's big NFL showdowns dominated Thanksgiving TV but by a slightly smaller margin than in 2016.

The night's prime time game, Washington's 20-10 victory over the New York Giants, was down around 10 percent from the comparable NBC showing in 2016. The game averaged a 9.7 overnight rating among households. It's not as steep of a dip as the one seen last year, but it still stings on a night where little else is happening on TV.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tv-ratings-thanksgiving-nfl-sees-primetime-fatigue/ar-BBFBavH

if the kneelers are going to keep kneeling and rooning the nfl, lets find out what they are protesting and fix it. :doh:

america, clean up your act. :thumbsup:

We hosted Thanksgiving at my house this year and only one person wanted to watch the NFL. I sent him to the basement and told him help yourself. He watched for maybe 30 minutes then tapped out too.

Attendance way down as well. I was shocked to see all those empty seats in Kansas City and Atlanta, amongst other places. Wait till next year and people don't renue their season tickets. That's some good kneeling boys!

• Like 1

Attendance way down as well. I was shocked to see all those empty seats in Kansas City and Atlanta, amongst other places. Wait till next year and people don't renue their season tickets. That's some good kneeling boys!

if you attend an NFL game and don't have money to burn, you're a focking idiot.

I don't think many players are still kneeling. I was surprised to see 3 Dolphins kneeling yesterday. One was Kenny Stills, who is an idiot. No Patriots kneeling.

I think the number is less than 10 total across the NFL. Such a non-issue.

I don't think many players are still kneeling. I was surprised to see 3 Dolphins kneeling yesterday. One was Kenny Stills, who is an idiot. No Patriots kneeling.

idiot? why would you say such a thing. He's in Brady's head after all :lol:

The kneeleers (every team had them) are cutting their own throats. Wait till reality sets in and they don't get a nice fat check for their cut of the royalties on merchandise.

Thanksgiving ratings

let’s compare some of the numbers to each of the past two years to see where we are (thanks to Sports Media Watch for the ratings info):

• ESPN, Monday night, Atlanta at Seattle: 6.4 rating, a decline of 28.1 percent from Buffalo-New England in 2015 … a decline of 7.2 percent from Houston-Oakland last year.

• FOX, Thanksgiving Day, Minnesota at Detroit: 11.4 rating, a drop of 7.3 percent from Philadelphia-Detroit in 2015 … a drop of 12.3 percent from Minnesota-Detroit last year.

• CBS, Thanksgiving Day, Los Angeles Chargers at Dallas: 12.4 rating, a decrease of 19.0 percent from Dallas-Carolina in 2015 … a decrease of 20.5 percent from Dallas-Washington last year.

• NBC, Thanksgiving night, New York Giants at Washington: 9.7 rating, a drop of 33.6 percent from Chicago-Green Bay in 2015 … a drop of 10.2 percent from Indianapolis-Pittsburgh last year.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/27/nfl-coaching-candidates-greg-schiano-tennessee-nfl-week-12-mmqb

• Like 1

It's NOW basically a non-issue as the number steadily declined but a lot of the damage is already done. What I've come to realize is that I've been tuning into a declining product mostly out of habit. Now that I've stopped watching for a couple months, that habit is broken.

You can be sure the other players are putting pressure on the remaining kneelers to quit it.

• Like 1

I blame the rating decline on global warming. It's just so nice outside that no one wants to sit and watch a football game on TV

I like how the guys blaming kneeling for falling ratings are actually still watching football themselves.

I'm done arguing. These guys are SURE the decline in ratings is because of the kneeling and there is literally no way to change their minds.

No one is talking about it anymore, it is literally a non story...but I'm just too tired to argue.

• Like 1

I'm done arguing. These guys are SURE the decline in ratings is because of the kneeling and there is literally no way to change their minds.

No one is talking about it anymore, it is literally a non story...but I'm just too tired to argue.

In hindsight I agree with you for the most part as I stated earlier on this page. It is a flawed product and it appears that I was watching mostly out of habit. Perhaps more and more people are coming to this realization as a result of tuning out because of the kneeling. It seems to be getting worse as the season wears on (as predicted) because more teams are eliminated from playoff contention.

In hindsight I agree with you for the most part as I stated earlier on this page. It is a flawed product and it appears that I was watching mostly out of habit. Perhaps more and more people are coming to this realization as a result of tuning out because of the kneeling. It seems to be getting worse as the season wears on (as predicted) because more teams are eliminated from playoff contention.

Fair.....There is no doubt the NFL has lost fans due to this issue, and it is just adding to their already big problems. Not the way to handle things when the market is down. I also think there is some validity to the notion that what appears to be a declining interest in fantasy football has driven it down too. MAn I remember being SO into the games when I was into FF. Had 4 leagues at one time. Now only one. Interest is definitely not there

• Like 1

I like how the guys blaming kneeling for falling ratings are actually still watching football themselves.

I watched some (patriots) on HD antenna.

Does that count?

Fair.....There is no doubt the NFL has lost fans due to this issue, and it is just adding to their already big problems. Not the way to handle things when the market is down. I also think there is some validity to the notion that what appears to be a declining interest in fantasy football has driven it down too. MAn I remember being SO into the games when I was into FF. Had 4 leagues at one time. Now only one. Interest is definitely not there

I haven't been paying attention. How are Fanduel/Draft Kings doing in all of this? They got to be hurting as well.

I haven't been paying attention. How are Fanduel/Draft Kings doing in all of this? They got to be hurting as well.

Dunno...Once I heard they were pretty much dominated by a few players I stopped caring about them.

If I feel bad for anyone in this while mess, it's the local bar owners that are losing the revenues.

I have hardly watched at all this year. Most my coworkers are foreigners and do not follow nfl, my fantasy team sucks, and I do not like rooting for a front-runner team with a rapist at QB.

After ben retires and the Steelers are crappy for a couple years the NFL will be more enjoyable.

I've been eliminated from two of my three leagues this year. I've told my dynasty league colleagues I will not be back next season and when my playoff run ends in 12Geeks, that's the end of FF and the NFL for me, permanently. At the beginning of the year my enthusiasm level was the same as it was when i first started doing this twenty years ago. At that time, I would have guessed that I had another 40 years or however long until I'm dead and buried to enjoy this hobby.

Owner at the local joint says he's not getting the direct Tv package next year unless they cut the price in half. He's getting killed.

It seemed like the NFL could do no wrong.

Limit practice time and ruin the quality of play on the field.

No problem!

Make the game 35% longer with no additional action.

Don’t worry about it.

Change the game so we cannot see if a TD, fumble, interception, or reception is legitimate without stop action replay.

Not a big deal!

Hold opening day on a Thursday, add a Thursday schedule.

Great now fans can watch all the NFL football they want!

Play games in London!

Great more games to watch.

And through all of this and more viewership continued to rise.

Then a lone misguided player decided to kneel for the National Anthem in support of a bogus cause and ratings started to fall.

The NFL and the media continued to blame everything but the player protests.

Ratings continued to fall for the remaining of 2016

2017, ratings continue to fall while the NFL and the media deny it is the protests.

TV stops showing the NA before the games

Attendance continues to fall

Unconditional Surrender: NFL Gives Players $89 Million for ‘Social Justice’ Spending with No Condition That Anthem Protests Will End

We will see what happens Sunday but it looks like the NFL does think it has to with the protests.

It seemed like the NFL could do no wrong.

Limit practice time and ruin the quality of play on the field.

No problem!

Make the game 35% longer with no additional action.

Don’t worry about it.

Change the game so we cannot see if a TD, fumble, interception, or reception is legitimate without stop action replay.

Not a big deal!

Hold opening day on a Thursday, add a Thursday schedule.

Great now fans can watch all the NFL football they want!

Play games in London!

Great more games to watch.

And through all of this and more viewership continued to rise.

Then a lone misguided player decided to kneel for the National Anthem in support of a bogus cause and ratings started to fall.

Ratings continued to fall for the remaining of 2016

2017, ratings continue to fall while the NFL and the media deny it is the protests.

TV stops showing the NA before the games

Attendance continues to fall

Unconditional Surrender: NFL Gives Players $89 Million for ‘Social Justice’ Spending with No Condition That Anthem Protests Will End

We will see what happens Sunday but it looks like the NFL does think it has to with the protests.

You know what...You're right..It's the protests. The single reason the NFL is dying is cause of Kapernick and the players protesting. You win.

ROCKFORD posting a story about some guy named Butt.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

quiet, he is my dyno stash of the week. :mad:

You know what...You're right..It's the protests. The single reason the NFL is dying is cause of Kapernick and the players protesting. You win.

Sorry, I never blamed it on the protests. You seem to have a bug up your butt about this, what is your problem?

Get a life!

Sorry, I never blamed it on the protests. You seem to have a bug up your butt about this, what is your problem?

Get a life!

You wrote this:

So if that wasn't your point, whats your point? Maybe I misunderstood?

You wrote this:

Youre talking to phurphur. He hasnt had a point since the Nixon administration. Hes more of a throw sh!t at the wall and see what picture it makes kind of poster.

You wrote this:

Then a lone misguided player decided to kneel for the National Anthem in support of a bogus cause and ratings started to fall.The NFL and the media continued to blame everything but the player protests.

Those are the facts you can draw your own conclusion, I didn’t give mine. HTH

Those are the facts you can draw your own conclusion, I didn’t give mine. HTH

Seriously? Ok then. You have no opinion on the matter. I wasn't aware. Thank you for the clarification.