Sign in to follow this  
scottsind

2 “Kept” Year Dynasty Trading

Tried this over on the A Little Help board with not much success.

Standard League / 12 team league / 2 keeper per team

Guy has to give up Gurley as it is his last kept year with him. Dude offered this:

I get Gurley

He gets Saquon and my 2nd round draft pick (4th round realistically with everyone keeping 2 players)

That seems like a lot to give up for Gurley, but he is literally winning match ups by himself this year, just like last.

Do you think this is a ridiculous thing to even think about approving or what should I counter with?

Thanks

I play in a similar system. Is there any cost associated with players kept?

Second is a steep price to pay . Would anyone be that surprised if in a year or two Barkley is on the same level as Gurley? I'd be willing to give up a later pickor swap early rounds, but not sure I'd sell the farm.

I play in a similar system. Is there any cost associated with players kept?

Second is a steep price to pay . Would anyone be that surprised if in a year or two Barkley is on the same level as Gurley? I'd be willing to give up a later pickor swap early rounds, but not sure I'd sell the farm.

NO cost. We just start at round 1 with everyone keeping 2 players. I dig the idea of swapping early rounds. Thank you!

How many years could you keep Gurley after trading for him? How many years can you keep Barkley if you don't make the trade?

How many years could you keep Gurley after trading for him? How many years can you keep Barkley if you don't make the trade?

Both the same amount of time. I can keep Gurley or Barkley for the rest of this season, next season, and the following year. Then I have to trade them the last year before the trade deadline is up to get something in return.

If your team is contending and Gurley puts you over the top then this is a good move.

I'd counter with Barkley & a 3rd or Barkley & a 2nd for Gurley & a 3rd as suggested above.

I like it. I asked for the swap of players and then the swap of a 2nd and 4th. Thanks for setting me straight fellas.

I wouldn't do that deal at all. In fact, I'd ask for Gurley and more. Why? Because he has no leverage at all. You don't "need" Gurley. You have Barkley who will likely be just as good. You're helping this guy out for no reason. His team is going to suffer without Gurley and you're going to give him Barkley, bail him out, then give him a better pick on top of that? No way. I'd tell him that I'd want Gurley plus his first 2 picks for Barkley. If he doesn't like that, let him move on to some other sucker.

I would be tempted to do this deal straight up but I wouldn't give up the draft picks

I wouldn't do that deal at all. In fact, I'd ask for Gurley and more. Why? Because he has no leverage at all. You don't "need" Gurley. You have Barkley who will likely be just as good. You're helping this guy out for no reason. His team is going to suffer without Gurley and you're going to give him Barkley, bail him out, then give him a better pick on top of that? No way. I'd tell him that I'd want Gurley plus his first 2 picks for Barkley. If he doesn't like that, let him move on to some other sucker.

This. You have all the leverage.

This. You have all the leverage.

Disagree. After playing in a league with a similar set up the Gurley owner still has a lot of bargaining power. The gurley owner could easily go offer the same deal for another top end player. He could also just keep Gurley and compete for the championship this year and goes back to being a standard team next year. Gurley is still head and shoulders above any position player.

Really good responses to this post. This board is making me feel a little stronger about what I have in Barkley. Dude doesnt want to trade until after Barkleys bye and I dont want to trade right before Gurleys week 11 bye so at week 10 we are going to re-evaluate. I think Saquon has enough $$$$ match ups that he is going to realize that the 2 players are more equal in value than he does now.

Gurleys point totals thus far: 16, 26, 18, 16, 26, 28

Barkleys point totals thus far: 14, 8, 14, 12, 20, 22

Dont judge me on my point scoring system. I have no control over it : ) 2 points every 25 yards receiving/rushing / 6 point TDs.

Disagree. After playing in a league with a similar set up the Gurley owner still has a lot of bargaining power. The gurley owner could easily go offer the same deal for another top end player. He could also just keep Gurley and compete for the championship this year and goes back to being a standard team next year. Gurley is still head and shoulders above any position player.

According to OP, Gurley owner can't keep him. If some other idiot wants to give up a great player plus picks, let them, but that doesn't mean OP has to be that idiot. Gurley has no leverage at all. He can't keep Gurley and has to let him go. The only way he can get any value is if he falls out of the playoff race and can trade him to a contender. Aside from that, no one has to give him anything.

According to OP, Gurley owner can't keep him. If some other idiot wants to give up a great player plus picks, let them, but that doesn't mean OP has to be that idiot. Gurley has no leverage at all. He can't keep Gurley and has to let him go. The only way he can get any value is if he falls out of the playoff race and can trade him to a contender. Aside from that, no one has to give him anything.

You seem pretty hostile about this. If you look at previous responses I never advocated giving up real valuable picks. Gurley is better than Barkley and two and half years of Gurley is worth moving back a few picks. The differenc between player 36 and 46 in the draft is minimal and a very real possibility that the later pick is just as good or better.
  • Like 1

yah I am with the opinion that he should be offering you more, even though you can now keep Gurley, at best it should be a straight swap

you should not be giving up more than Barkley straight up in this situation

Plan A: I would only do this deal player for player. Don't give anything more.

Plan B: I would only do it if Gurley puts you head and shoulders over the top. And now (at least on paper, as of week 10) as the team to beat and most likely be the favorite for this years championship.

Barkley gives you 2 more years of value. Compared to just a handful of games from a rent a player.

*Also 1 question for you. If you did trade away Barkley,. What would your other options be to keep?.

If you have other good options. Plan A & B might be the way to go. Go for it all this year, without hurting your future.

If you have nothing else as good to keep however. You might just be better off knowing you're a good, but not elite team this year, But you're also still gonna be good in the future years.

Plan A: I would only do this deal player for player. Don't give anything more.

Plan B: I would only do it if Gurley puts you head and shoulders over the top. And now (at least on paper, as of week 10) as the team to beat and most likely be the favorite for this years championship.

Barkley gives you 2 more years of value. Compared to just a handful of games from a rent a player.

*Also 1 question for you. If you did trade away Barkley,. What would your other options be to keep?.

If you have other good options. Plan A & B might be the way to go. Go for it all this year, without hurting your future.

If you have nothing else as good to keep however. You might just be better off knowing you're a good, but not elite team this year, But you're also still gonna be good in the future years.

The op could keep Gurley for 2 years. He's not a rent a player.

You seem pretty hostile about this. If you look at previous responses I never advocated giving up real valuable picks. Gurley is better than Barkley and two and half years of Gurley is worth moving back a few picks. The differenc between player 36 and 46 in the draft is minimal and a very real possibility that the later pick is just as good or better.

Hostile? Not at all. You're taking that response too seriously. I'm making fun of the someone who would make a deal like that. Meaning, anyone who gives up ANYTHING to the Gurley owner is a dummy because the Gurley owner has no leverage at all, with anyone. He's losing Gurley at the end of the season, no matter what. Whether he trades him or loses him back to the draft, he's at the whim of every other owner in the league. I think this is pretty obvious. Gurley has less value than every RB1, from the standpoint of the guy who owns Gurley.

I think Barkley over the next two seasons will be better than Gurley, so I wouldn't give up anything. Like I said before, if I have Barkley and the Gurley owner wants a trade, I'm asking for picks plus Gurley for Barkley, I'm not giving picks. That would be a perfect example of buy low / sell high. If you trade picks plus Barkley, that's buy high / sell low.

Hostile? Not at all. You're taking that response too seriously. I'm making fun of the someone who would make a deal like that. Meaning, anyone who gives up ANYTHING to the Gurley owner is a dummy because the Gurley owner has no leverage at all, with anyone. He's losing Gurley at the end of the season, no matter what. Whether he trades him or loses him back to the draft, he's at the whim of every other owner in the league. I think this is pretty obvious. Gurley has less value than every RB1, from the standpoint of the guy who owns Gurley.

I think Barkley over the next two seasons will be better than Gurley, so I wouldn't give up anything. Like I said before, if I have Barkley and the Gurley owner wants a trade, I'm asking for picks plus Gurley for Barkley, I'm not giving picks. That would be a perfect example of buy low / sell high. If you trade picks plus Barkley, that's buy high / sell low.

Well our valuation of the two and their situations is clearly different so it makes sense as to why you wouldn't add anything. The Gurley owner can hold him, and likely be a front runner for a championship this year, or trade him to a different team willing to offer more, so there is leverage against any team that wants Gurley. Barkley straight for Gurley may be a fine deal, but if the Gurley owner wants a bit more, I'll add it in to make sure I have the best asset in fantasy football for the next two and a half years. If you think the trade improves your team, you take it.

Well our valuation of the two and their situations is clearly different so it makes sense as to why you wouldn't add anything. The Gurley owner can hold him, and likely be a front runner for a championship this year, or trade him to a different team willing to offer more, so there is leverage against any team that wants Gurley. Barkley straight for Gurley may be a fine deal, but if the Gurley owner wants a bit more, I'll add it in to make sure I have the best asset in fantasy football for the next two and a half years. If you think the trade improves your team, you take it.

Clearly evaluation differences so that aspect I can easily chalk up as "agree to disagree", which is fine.

Great responses and I like a little back and forth. If a thread doesnt have a little banter it wasnt a good topic : )

I have it set up that we trade after the 10th and before the 11th round his year. Also swapping my 2nd round for his 4th round. Realistically it is a 4th for a 6th since the first 2 rounds are kept players. I will be keeping Gurley and Mixon next year which is a pretty good start to a standard season. Gurley was a league winner last year and clearly could be again this year. I dont see the offense getting any worse in the next couple years.

Who knows. Barkley could be a league winner too next year, but Ill take my chances with the team with a much better offensive line currently. Thanks for the input once again and maybe I am a sucker for doing this, but he is going to be the #1 pick next year too, barring injury of course.