Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

UPDATE: Cousins not signing in Washington? - Cousins Gets Franchise Tag

ok, I've seen a couple of articles suggesting that Cousins is souring on the prospect of staying in Washington as they havnt been able to get his contract done.

any Washington Homies know if there is any truth to this?

the rumour on NFL.com is that hes gonna be traded to San Fran.

ok, I've seen a couple of articles suggesting that Cousins is souring on the prospect of staying in Washington as they havnt been able to get his contract done.

any Washington Homies know if there is any truth to this?

the rumour on NFL.com is that hes gonna be traded to San Fran.

How will they trade him without a contract?

How will they trade him without a contract?

likely they would franchise him and trade his rights.

Sucks for cousins. Matt Flynn gets two good games in and Seattle breaks the bank for him. Osweiller wins like 5 games with the world's best team and gets 72 million. Matt Cassell plays one season in the pats system which makes qbs look good and he gets 60 million. Flacco rides the nfl's best defense to a super bowl and gets 90 million. All cousins has done is navigate the rg3 mess, and put together 2 pretty good seasons on a team that loves overpaying players and he can't get a longterm deal. He's probably going to make more money in the long run this way, but if all I wanted was a fat 6 year contract and they wouldn't give it to me, I'd want out of there too. Every qb that shows any kind of competence gets a contract for fück's sake.

I think his two seasons have been really good.

It's so hard to read into anything right now.

from what I understand, he is also asking for an EXCEPTIONAL amount of money on a contract.

what that exactly means, I dont know, but he does seem like a bit of an egomaniac.

If he wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL then Washington is right to unload him. That's the kind of contract that cripples teams if the QB isnt truly one of the top 2 or 3 in the NFL (case in point Flacco contract)

My opinion is that he is a good, but not great QB who plays in a good system with some very good WR's. He put up some Excellent numbers, but I honestly think this is a product of the system and there are only one or two teams he could play on in the NFL where he could put up those kind of numbers.

I'd be interested in seeing where the team and the player differ on the current negotiation but that is info we wont likely see unless this becomes an ugly negotiation that goes public.

...what that exactly means, I dont know, but he does seem like a bit of an egomaniac.

It's the latest rage. :D

from what I understand, he is also asking for an EXCEPTIONAL amount of money on a contract.

what that exactly means, I dont know, but he does seem like a bit of an egomaniac.

If he wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL then Washington is right to unload him. That's the kind of contract that cripples teams if the QB isnt truly one of the top 2 or 3 in the NFL (case in point Flacco contract)

My opinion is that he is a good, but not great QB who plays in a good system with some very good WR's. He put up some Excellent numbers, but I honestly think this is a product of the system and there are only one or two teams he could play on in the NFL where he could put up those kind of numbers.

I'd be interested in seeing where the team and the player differ on the current negotiation but that is info we wont likely see unless this becomes an ugly negotiation that goes public.

Exceptional means that ownership doesn't want to pay market prices for a franchise QB. I know some people will think that I'm using franchise loosely but there are very few young QBs above Cousins and the NFL is a QB driven league.

Sucks for cousins. Matt Flynn gets two good games in and Seattle breaks the bank for him. Osweiller wins like 5 games with the world's best team and gets 72 million. Matt Cassell plays one season in the pats system which makes qbs look good and he gets 60 million. Flacco rides the nfl's best defense to a super bowl and gets 90 million. All cousins has done is navigate the rg3 mess, and put together 2 pretty good seasons on a team that loves overpaying players and he can't get a longterm deal. He's probably going to make more money in the long run this way, but if all I wanted was a fat 6 year contract and they wouldn't give it to me, I'd want out of there too. Every qb that shows any kind of competence gets a contract for fück's sake.

Yes, and those teams got the end result of signing a stupid contract.

Seattle didnt hurt too bad because they drafted Russell Wilson that same year, but all those other teams ended up with an average (Flacco & Cassell) to below average (Osweiler & Flynn) Quarterback.

while there is still hope that Osweiler can turn things around. He's still young. but the bottom line is Houston paid way too much for an unproven player and now they are paying the price. They have a contender, but they cannot dump him for a better QB because there is way too much guaranteed on the contract, and I doubt they can trade him without eating a portion of his salary.

If a team out there is willing to take the chance on Osweiler I'd expect 3 or 4 things:

1) they have the cap space for him

2) They should get him super cheap

and/or

3) they will get Houston to pay a portion of his salary as part of the deal.

and/or

4) they will unload their own problem player who is overpaid so Houston can manage that problem.

There are teams out there that fit the bill, but if those teams have offenses where the players are ideally suited to stretching the field with the long ball, then Osweiler wont fit that system either.

Maybe a team running a version of the West Coast offense where deep throws are not often made would be able to make use of a guy like Osweiler.

My point was that if I'm cousins, I don't want to be the guy that a team is getting smart on when I'm actually pretty good.

Even the jets tried to get smart on Fitzpatrick last year, but caved. So if your Cousins and you're seeing every qb with a pulse getting paid, I can see why he'd be pissed if all the sudden he can't get paid.

That's independent of whether it's a good investment for the redskins. By nfl standards, he's done more than enough to earn the money

My point was that if I'm cousins, I don't want to be the guy that a team is getting smart on when I'm actually pretty good.

Even the jets tried to get smart on Fitzpatrick last year, but caved. So if your Cousins and you're seeing every qb with a pulse getting paid, I can see why he'd be pissed if all the sudden he can't get paid.

That's independent of whether it's a good investment for the redskins. By nfl standards, he's done more than enough to earn the money

Well, they franchised him last year. so he was getting paid. A lot.

but it was only a 1 year deal.

I'm not sure that the team is opposed to 18-20 mil. Even at 21 Mil, I dont know that the team would waffle.

But if Cousins is asking for much more than that, its getting questionable whether the team should cough it up.

That places him in the top 6 and all of them (with the exception of Flacco) are (in my opinion) better than him.

Even if they dont put up the same stats, they are winners.

Top 6 salares:

Luck 24.6 mil

Brees 24.3 mil

Flacco 22.1 mil

Rodgers 22 mil

Russell Wilson 21.9 mil

Rothlisberger 21.85 mil

With the exception of Luck, all have won a superbowl.

Truly He belongs with the next 3-4 QB's on the list

Palmer, Eli Maning, Rivers, and Newton all make between 20.5 and 21 mil. and I think Cousins fits in that range or slightly below as.

If he is asking for much more than that, he's dumb.

and honestly, 21 mil is a nice payday if hes on a 4 or 5 year deal. After all, he has never won a playoff game in his career which (in my opinion) sets him slightly below the players in the 21 mil tier. But I do see him eventually leading his team to the playoffs, so it makes some sense to include him in this tier. But I wouldnt put him in the top Tier. He does not deserve to be there.

Interesting salary list of the top 6 paid Qbs.

And Brady isn't on it.

Talk about winning playoff games and Super Bowls.

I think The Redskins would be smart in keeping him and by doing so they need to pay the man his money.

Well, they franchised him last year. so he was getting paid. A lot.

but it was only a 1 year deal.

I'm not sure that the team is opposed to 18-20 mil. Even at 21 Mil, I dont know that the team would waffle.

But if Cousins is asking for much more than that, its getting questionable whether the team should cough it up.

That places him in the top 6 and all of them (with the exception of Flacco) are (in my opinion) better than him.

Even if they dont put up the same stats, they are winners.

Top 6 salares:

Luck 24.6 mil

Brees 24.3 mil

Flacco 22.1 mil

Rodgers 22 mil

Russell Wilson 21.9 mil

Rothlisberger 21.85 mil

With the exception of Luck, all have won a superbowl.

Truly He belongs with the next 3-4 QB's on the list

Palmer, Eli Maning, Rivers, and Newton all make between 20.5 and 21 mil. and I think Cousins fits in that range or slightly below as.

If he is asking for much more than that, he's dumb.

and honestly, 21 mil is a nice payday if hes on a 4 or 5 year deal. After all, he has never won a playoff game in his career which (in my opinion) sets him slightly below the players in the 21 mil tier. But I do see him eventually leading his team to the playoffs, so it makes some sense to include him in this tier. But I wouldnt put him in the top Tier. He does not deserve to be there.

You're putting a whole lot of value on what these QBs have done several years in the past. If you just consider the past 2 seasons Cousins has started he's right in the middle of that group about any way you want to look at it. His stats are comparable with that list. His W-L record is as well. If I'm looking for a QB I look at that a lot more than I do a game 7 or 8 seasons ago.

The truth is Cousins is a QB that can get a team in the playoffs for the next several seasons if all goes well. The chance to get that on the FA market is rare. He could very easily be the highest paid QB and that would be plenty fair. It's about so much more than just how good they are. It's as much being in the right place at the right time as anything. Next season some QB will probably get more money than him. Before too long he will have a pretty even salary. Pay him a little more now and get him for a bargain later on. It evens out.

It's ridiculous that it's gotten to this point at all. They should have signed him to a new deal last season. A team like the Redskins who haven't had a decent QB in 30 years, for more than a season, you think would jump on the chance to sign a decent young QB.

• Like 1

agree

You're putting a whole lot of value on what these QBs have done several years in the past. If you just consider the past 2 seasons Cousins has started he's right in the middle of that group about any way you want to look at it. His stats are comparable with that list. His W-L record is as well. If I'm looking for a QB I look at that a lot more than I do a game 7 or 8 seasons ago.

The truth is Cousins is a QB that can get a team in the playoffs for the next several seasons if all goes well. The chance to get that on the FA market is rare. He could very easily be the highest paid QB and that would be plenty fair. It's about so much more than just how good they are. It's as much being in the right place at the right time as anything. Next season some QB will probably get more money than him. Before too long he will have a pretty even salary. Pay him a little more now and get him for a bargain later on. It evens out.

It's ridiculous that it's gotten to this point at all. They should have signed him to a new deal last season. A team like the Redskins who haven't had a decent QB in 30 years, for more than a season, you think would jump on the chance to sign a decent young QB.

I agree with this.

I cannot argue that the skins made a mistake in not signing him the year before. They could have had him for 17 or 18 mil. Clearly that decision is gonna cost them multiple millions as the asking price is likely 22+ mil.

but Skins management has some issues with how they treat their starting QB's.

I guess I'd really love to see what offers have been made and what Cousins has asked for.

At this point all we can do is speculate. But if Washington management wants to be jerks, they will lose him and/or Cousins will sit and demand a trade.

The current rumour is that San Fran is his likely landing spot. (I earlier posted a link to an article NFL.com stating this)

If it comes to pass, then I guess Washington will get two draft picks and they can grab a QB.

How about some FF implications?

I say if its not the biggest risk (concussions?) to Jordan Reeds value, its certainly among them.

Cousins primary struggles throwing the ball have been on deep routes. He has been among the most accurate on short and intermediate throws which benefit Reed and facilitate YAC. The offense as a whole could struggle to move the ball with a new signal caller as well. I'd wait to see the outcome before buying any Jordan Reed.

Who will be the Redskins WRs next season?

Looks like both Garçon and D jax will be moving on.

So that leaves Crowder who faded away late last season and an unproven Doctson.

Now that in its self leaves some doubt of the ff ranking of Cousins, at least for me it does.

Who will be the Redskins WRs next season?

Looks like both Garçon and D jax will be moving on.

So that leaves Crowder who faded away late last season and an unproven Doctson.

Now that in its self leaves some doubt of the ff ranking of Cousins, at least for me it does.

a bit surprising.

I figured they would try to keep at least one of the WR's while breaking in Doctson.

Maybe the smart move is to franchise him again and see how he does with a lesser receiving core.

That being said, to franchise him again may also get him angry and drive him to seek out other options. (not that he needs help. I think he IS all about the money)

The Redskins made the playoffs with a terrible defense and no running game. Give the man his contract.

If you franchise someone in back to back seasons their salary should double that of the previous season.

Yeah, I don't think teams should be able to franchise the same player twice.

Can't blame Cousins for wanting out of the situation, but can't blame the team for not wanting to break the bank for him. I'm thinking $18M with escalators sounds respectable.

Lol I would agree.

Can't blame either side.

I hope the kid has a great 2017 season and gets his guaranteed money. What a Mickey Mouse organization. Pay close attention to how Oakland deals with Derek Carr, for an example of how not to it up.

He will be a Skin next year. He likely gets another franchise year. Doesn't suck to be him since 2 Franchise tag years have made him a boatload of money.

If he asks for elite QB money he will be released after the season unless he wins a super bowl.

If the Redskins lose Cousins shame on them, and their fan base should just quit.

If the Redskins lose Cousins shame on them, and their fan base should just quit.

I think it really depends on the situation.

our problem is we dont know enough.

if he wants to be the highest paid QB in the league, Washington would be smart to let him go because I do not think he can live up to a contract like that. I think a contract like that with a sizeable guaranteed portion would cripple the team from a salary cap perspective.

if he's only asking for 20 or 21 mil then the team is stupid to drag their heels and let him gain some leverage in the negotiations.

either way, the team obviously isn't sold on Cousins at the price he is asking. But we do not know what he is asking for.

If he is asking for 25+ Mil and wanting to be the highest paid player in the NFL, they should use the tender that gives them right to match or 2 first round picks.

This way, Cousins can shop around, and if he gets 25 mil and they dont wanna match, then he can leave.

That being said, for this strategy to work for Washington, the team needs to legitimately be willing to walk if the offer comes in over a certain price. If they are not willing to walk this strategy should not be the one they take.

Looks like he was tagged.

So it looks like that issue has been put to bed.

Cousins gets exclusive franchise tag.

ESPN

The Washington Redskins placed the exclusive franchise tag on quarterback Kirk Cousins on Tuesday.

Cousins received the non-exclusive tag last year. It's the first time in history a team has used the franchise tag twice on the same quarterback.

Because it's the exclusive tag, Cousins can't negotiate with other teams.

Looks like he was tagged.

So it looks like that issue has been put to bed.

at least for the moment.....

He's going somewhere else after this season. Someone will overpay like Houston did with their scrub.

Yeah but Cousins has shown that he can be a good starting Qb, unlike Osweiler.

Yeah but Cousins has shown that he can be a good starting Qb, unlike Osweiler.

Right but he's asking for elite money. He doesn't have an elite arm. He also doesn't have elite thinking. But some team is going to give him Tom Brady money.

At this point I am on the fence with trading him. If the Niners want to cough up a crazy offer I'd be happy if we entertained it since I think the guy is one and done for us.

I wonder where Cousins will rank once he gets his new deal, because someone posted a list of the top Six paid Qbs and I found it interesting that Brady's wasn't on it.

I can see your point and it's a good one, but I think with Cousins the Texans could be a very serious contender.

And Hopkins would be a Wr 1 once again.

I wonder where Cousins will rank once he gets his new deal, because someone posted a list of the top Six paid Qbs and I found it interesting that Brady's wasn't on it.

I can see your point and it's a good one, but I think with Cousins the Texans could be a very serious contender.

And Hopkins would be a Wr 1 once again.

Brady isnt in the top 10 either. FYI

Oh my soul, he's not even in the top ten.

Thanks for the FYI

Right but he's asking for elite money. He doesn't have an elite arm. He also doesn't have elite thinking. But some team is going to give him Tom Brady money.

At this point I am on the fence with trading him. If the Niners want to cough up a crazy offer I'd be happy if we entertained it since I think the guy is one and done for us.

Washington's woes aren't bcoz of Cousins.. You guys have a really good qb and are insistent on creating drama where there isn't any... If Snyder had a clue he'd realize that the lack of a running game and the inability to stop anybody on defense are much bigger problems... You guys gave all that $$ to mouth Norman - when you should of given it to Cousins.