Sign in to follow this  
heavy-set

Do you have a dog?

I am thinking of buying one. I like tikigods dog, the golden retriever, but I think I might like a basset hound too.

any idea on the cost? do I buy them at a mall or at the SPCA?

I am new to the animal kingdom and have no idea how it works

I had a dog. Then I got an apartment that didn't allow animals so I had a vet kill it. Then the landlord called me back and I didn't get the apartment after all. Stupid dog. :lol:

Basset hounds are loving dogs but they bark nonstop for no reason and slobber all over.

I have a Boston terrier and he's really awesome - extremely trustworthy with kids, good watchdog (barks at noises at the door but otherwise doesn't make a sound), loves people, small enough to have in a city. Only downside is the snoring and farting. But I'm cool with it.

Won't find them at a shelter though. I'd have gotten a pit bull puppy but my wife wouldn't trust it around the kid and I can't say I blame her.

I have a mutt. It's an alright dog. It came with the fiancee and there are some nice things about it (it really likes the outdoors). But some stuff about it annoys the shiat out of me, like it is constantly begging for food. You could give this dog 10 pounds of food, it would eat all of it until it could not physically put more in its stomach, and then still it would beg you for more food. :thumbsdown:

I used to have a boxer. I loved that focking dog. :wub: Just the best dog I could have ever asked for. He was my little buddy--they have a ton of personality and just are really fun to be around generally. Only problem is they don't live very long. Mine made it to 9 and that's considered kinda old for a boxer. :( I might get another one someday though.

If you go with a rescue, make sure you don't get something like a rottweiler mix. They are EVERYWHERE at the shelters and there's a reason nobody wants those dogs. Generally I do think it is nice to get a shelter dog because then you can always think about how that dog would be dead if it wasn't for you. :thumbsup:

If you don't go with a rescue I'm going to have to report you.

Generally I do think it is nice to get a shelter dog because then you can always think about how that dog would be dead if it wasn't for you. :thumbsup:

We got three of them now,German Shepherd,black Lab and a hell if I know mutt,mrs wants them to have the best so now there's two holes(entrances)in the garage leading to a large fenced kennel inside with two heated water bowls and three heated mats.

We got three of them now,German Shepherd,black Lab and a hell if I know mutt,mrs wants them to have the best so now there's two holes(entrances)in the garage leading to a large fenced kennel inside with two heated water bowls and three heated mats.

Those dogs live better than I do :o

Also, why the hell would a dog need a heated water bowl? Shouldn't the water be cold? :wacko:

This. After my dalmation died at age 16 I got a Katrina pup that was roaming around Lakeview. He's a mix black lab/german shepard. Most loyal dog I have ever owned. You can never go wrong with labs.

Those dogs live better than I do :o

Also, why the hell would a dog need a heated water bowl? Shouldn't the water be cold? :wacko:

It's more for me so my ass isn't out there daily breaking up bowls of ice in the winter.

This. After my dalmation died at age 16 I got a Katrina pup that was roaming around Lakeview. He's a mix black lab/german shepard. Most loyal dog I have ever owned. You can never go wrong with labs.

On the subject of dogs have you seen the movie Hachi?Just watched it tonight,talk about loyalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oQhk3_7enM

I have a brittany spaniel. I have very little experience in training bird dogs but my dog still turned into a tremendous hunting dog. Plus brittany spaniels are girl magnets, whenever I walk my dog at the dog park I always get girls stopping and complimenting my dog, which is a great ice-breaker.

However a brittany spaniel requires alot of exercise, if you are not planning on running your dog 5 days a week then you should get a different breed.

That movie made me :cry:

A girl I went out with had a dog named Blaze. We had to hold Blaze every time her brother left on his motorcycle to go to work. One day, the brother was arrested and spent five years in the state penn because of drugs and a drive by shooting. That dog sat in the front of the house waiting for him to come home. No matter what we did, Blaze waited. When John finally came home after spending his time in the penn, Blaze was waiting for him. And the reunion was funny and sad. That dog was dying but waited long enough to say goodbye. Blaze died days later after reuniting and John did his best to stay out of trouble. John died a year later in a gun battle over drugs.

Made me realize how loyal dogs are to their owners.

I have a mutt. It's an alright dog. It came with the fiancee and there are some nice things about it (it really likes the outdoors). But some stuff about it annoys the shiat out of me, like it is constantly begging for food. You could give this dog 10 pounds of food, it would eat all of it until it could not physically put more in its stomach, and then still it would beg you for more food. :thumbsdown:

I used to have a boxer. I loved that focking dog. :wub: Just the best dog I could have ever asked for. He was my little buddy--they have a ton of personality and just are really fun to be around generally. Only problem is they don't live very long. Mine made it to 9 and that's considered kinda old for a boxer. :( I might get another one someday though.

If you go with a rescue, make sure you don't get something like a rottweiler mix. They are EVERYWHERE at the shelters and there's a reason nobody wants those dogs. Generally I do think it is nice to get a shelter dog because then you can always think about how that dog would be dead if it wasn't for you. :thumbsup:

Boxers are great - smartest, most well-behaved dog I ever had. Was my ex's, who was neither.

I have a St. Bernard. Go big or go home. :pointstosky:

You should prolly get a phaggy cat. :lol:

2 dogs. First is a 6 year old basenji/collie mix rescued from pound. I think (and several people have commented) that it looks as though she has some pit bull in her. Second is a terrier mix that has tiger stripes, really cool coloration. Pretty good dogs except for the fact that they will bark at someone walking down the street four houses down and across the street.

A girl I went out with had a dog named Blaze. We had to hold Blaze every time her brother left on his motorcycle to go to work. One day, the brother was arrested and spent five years in the state penn because of drugs and a drive by shooting. That dog sat in the front of the house waiting for him to come home. No matter what we did, Blaze waited. When John finally came home after spending his time in the penn, Blaze was waiting for him. And the reunion was funny and sad. That dog was dying but waited long enough to say goodbye. Blaze died days later after reuniting and John did his best to stay out of trouble. John died a year later in a gun battle over drugs.

Made me realize how loyal dogs are to their owners.

You hang out with losers.

I hope John suffered a little

I am thinking of buying one. I like tikigods dog, the golden retriever, but I think I might like a basset hound too.

Basset = constant barking, drooling and health issues. Non stop maintenance on their ears and sometimes eyes. Also, elongated dogs tend to have back issues as well.

Don't buy from a pet store. You're supporting that whole puppy mill racket and paying double what you should. You're also getting a sh*t bloodline. Got my Golden from a private breeder for 400 bucks. They're running 700 in the pet stores. I've had multiple dog owners at the vet say "no way that's a pure bred Golden" because he's so much bigger and thicker than their Golden. The vet will chime in with "he's actually real close to dog show quality, it's yours that's not the right size". As for behavior, he's easily the best dog I've ever owned. Simply put, he's an 85lb baby. He and my 10 year old are glued at the hip. He'll sit and wait for the cats to finish drinking out of his bowl before he gets some. Also, he's not a pig when it comes to food. I put out a bowl of food in the morning, and he'll eat when he gets around to it. Same thing in the evening. I've seen a ton of dogs where you have to closely monitor their food as they inhale it as soon as it's put out.

He only has one issue which can be a deal breaker for a lot of people...the constant shedding. I sweep the hard wood floors every day, and end up with a softball sized pile of hair every day. Better buy yourself some lint rollers.

stay away from the mall pet stores, full of puppy mill dogs that are ushually inbred. Lots of birth defects as they dont track parents and end up with a mess of problems. Best bet is to find a reputable breader.. There is a annual magizine (probably available online/amazon/ect) called Dogs Annual, tons of good info on each bread of dog and you will also find certified breaders.. its worth the extra cash to get a dog with papers IMO

He only has one issue which can be a deal breaker for a lot of people...the constant shedding. I sweep the hard wood floors every day, and end up with a softball sized pile of hair every day. Better buy yourself some lint rollers.

Golden Doodle don't shed. :banana:

But the damm cat does. :mad:

What are you looking for in a dog? Are you looking for a dog to protect your house? Good with kids? Lots of energy or lazy? Dog breeds can all be very different personality wise and your choice in breed really depends on what you're looking for.

What are you looking for in a dog? Are you looking for a dog to protect your house? Good with kids? Lots of energy or lazy? Dog breeds can all be very different personality wise and your choice in breed really depends on what you're looking for.

He's looking for a dog to calm him down. he needs to stop rage quitting and breaking video games

How can that dog be barkin' in the backyard?

We ran over him years ago

How can that dog be runnin' by the backfence?

We ran over him years ago

Ghost of a dog

Barkin' in the backyard

- Edie Brickell

little 25 lb terrier mix... rescued the little bastard from the south. has a little too much energy for his environment, but he is much better off than where he was...

stay away from the mall pet stores, full of puppy mill dogs that are ushually inbred. Lots of birth defects as they dont track parents and end up with a mess of problems. Best bet is to find a reputable breader.. There is a annual magizine (probably available online/amazon/ect) called Dogs Annual, tons of good info on each bread of dog and you will also find certified breaders.. its worth the extra cash to get a dog with papers IMO

or rescue a dog thats in a $hitty situation. There are a ton of abandoned pets especially now...

or rescue a dog thats in a $hitty situation. There are a ton of abandoned pets especially now...

This.

You can find a good pure bred dog for rescue. Just google your city or state, the type of dog you are looking for and add rescue. That should bring up a list of rescue shelters in your area .

Petfinder is a good option too.

Petfinder is a good option to find dates too.

Do you match the pet's name to it's favorite brand of peanut butter...Skippy :unsure:

Do you match the pet's name to it's favorite brand of peanut butter...Skippy :unsure:

Usually you're pretty funny. This was meh at best. I'm disappointed in you.