Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Does Oakland pack it in?

With Oakland in 100% rebuild mode after the Cooper trade, what do folks think about their effort moving forward? Has Gruden completely lost his team and they'll play accordingly?

I picked up IND defense for the BUF game this week. Thinking about sticking with them for their OAK matchup.

They are already packed in. A few guys will have to try because they cannot afford to put bad film down. But it is going to be bad I think.

Gruden's not waking up at 4.a.m. to tank :rolleyes:

is this a joke? Grudens waking up at 4 am in the Bahamas. He's waking up at 4am in the off-season on a Wednesday. He is waking up at 4 am and planning on how he can best use the draft picks he has now and he waking up at 4 am thinking about how he can trade Carr.

With Oakland in 100% rebuild mode after the Cooper trade, what do folks think about their effort moving forward? Has Gruden completely lost his team and they'll play accordingly?

I picked up IND defense for the BUF game this week. Thinking about sticking with them for their OAK matchup.

I picked up IND D for the BUF game too. Now you got me thinking... curious to see where IND D gets ranked this week.

I agree that they've already packed it in. In reality though, is what Gruden is doing wrong? Cooper is not an elite WR and they got a 1st for him. Carr is not even close to an elite QB, and it wouldn't shock me if they traded him for a #1 after this season. I don't think the Raiders wanted to trade Mack, but they couldn't afford him. From what I've read, Davis had to borrow money to sign Carr from the same place loaning him the money for his portion of the stadium. That same place would not loan him any more. I think they had intentions from the start of trading away their "top" players and rebuilding, hoping to have a decent young team when they move into the new stadium. With the new revenue, they will be able to pay free agents and Las Vegas is going to attract free agents much easier than the city of Oakland would. Who wants to live in, or around, Oakland?

I don't think Gruden is nuts here. They played a weak schedule two years ago and everyone played above their level. I heard the Waterboy is being traded to Tampa for some Gatorade.

I agree that they've already packed it in. In reality though, is what Gruden is doing wrong? Cooper is not an elite WR and they got a 1st for him. Carr is not even close to an elite QB, and it wouldn't shock me if they traded him for a #1 after this season. I don't think the Raiders wanted to trade Mack, but they couldn't afford him. From what I've read, Davis had to borrow money to sign Carr from the same place loaning him the money for his portion of the stadium. That same place would not loan him any more. I think they had intentions from the start of trading away their "top" players and rebuilding, hoping to have a decent young team when they move into the new stadium. With the new revenue, they will be able to pay free agents and Las Vegas is going to attract free agents much easier than the city of Oakland would. Who wants to live in, or around, Oakland?

I don't think Gruden is nuts here. They played a weak schedule two years ago and everyone played above their level. I heard the Waterboy is being traded to Tampa for some Gatorade.

It was a good move by the Raiders. The issue was he told the players he wouldn't trade Cooper, and then he goes and trades him. It's one thing to lead the media on, it's another to straight lie to the players under the coach

It was a good move by the Raiders. The issue was he told the players he wouldn't trade Cooper, and then he goes and trades him. It's one thing to lead the media on, it's another to straight lie to the players under the coach

Sounds like players aren't thrilled that they weren't even told after it happened. They learned about the trade from media reports.

I would target any DEF playing OAK rest of the way, no matter how bad the def is. Oak is bad to begin with and likely zero motivation to play for Gruden now.

I don't think it's going to be voluntary

"It was a good move by the Raiders. The issue was he told the players he wouldn't trade Cooper, and then he goes and trades him. It's one thing to lead the media on, it's another to straight lie to the players under the coach"

In this day and age, with Twitter, do you REALLY think ANYTHING he tells a room with 53+ people won't get out?! Yeesh - look at what happened last week Ford's meeting regarding the 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500..

Gruden just needs to STFU.

I would target any DEF playing OAK rest of the way, no matter how bad the def is. Oak is bad to begin with and likely zero motivation to play for Gruden now.

I'd be more interested in the health of the Raider's offensive line. Miller has a knee issue, and Keleche Osemele has missed time as well. This lead directly to several sacks and fumbles against Seattle. Now Lynch is out, for Doug Martin and his career 2.9 ypc, and their number one WR Amari Cooper is gone. Say what you will about Coop, and there's plenty believe me, he's the Raider's leading WR since Tim Brown's retirement in 2003.

As for state of the union... I've got nothing. There's never been a gutting like this in Raider history. Even in 1998, when Gruden inherited a putrid team, the long knives weren't out like this. Teams wanting a young CB with upside need to start asking about Gareon Conley.

I don't think it's going to be voluntary

This. Guys want to play, accrue stats, win, they dont care about the bigger picture. Guys have incentive to play well and do well. Theres no tanking in football. You give less than 100%, you get hurt. Guys want to put good play on tape for their next potential contract.

This. Guys want to play, accrue stats, win, they dont care about the bigger picture. Guys have incentive to play well and do well. Theres no tanking in football. You give less than 100%, you get hurt. Guys want to put good play on tape for their next potential contract.

Not true. You want to put yourself in the shoes of a professional athlete and give yourself this eye of the tiger attitude. History shows that this is wrong. It is hard to emotionally get up to be beat down each week. Players start giving up on plays and not taking the big hit because deep down they know it is a lost season. Fingers get pointed. Losing begets losing.

Then other teams get excited to play a whopping on. Smell blood in the water. Ask Josh Rosen. That is what Carr is going to feel.

Not true. You want to put yourself in the shoes of a professional athlete and give yourself this eye of the tiger attitude. History shows that this is wrong. It is hard to emotionally get up to be beat down each week. Players start giving up on plays and not taking the big hit because deep down they know it is a lost season. Fingers get pointed. Losing begets losing.

Then other teams get excited to play a whopping on. Smell blood in the water. Ask Josh Rosen. That is what Carr is going to feel.

Like how Buffalo gave up their season when Davis retired and the juggernaut Vikings came to town?

I just disagree. Guys have incentives to make, stats to pad and a career to make. They will be playing plenty hard. Theres no history that shows anything. I can show you tons of terrible teams who rallied to win games vs huge favorites late in the season even though it made no difference.

So and so makes an extra 500k if he gets X amount of sacks. He doesnt give a damn what the record is, he cares about getting sacks and putting good game film on tape so when negotiation time comes around he has leverage and a leg to stand on to value himself.

Like how Buffalo gave up their season when Davis retired and the juggernaut Vikings came to town?

I just disagree. Guys have incentives to make, stats to pad and a career to make. They will be playing plenty hard. Theres no history that shows anything. I can show you tons of terrible teams who rallied to win games vs huge favorites late in the season even though it made no difference.

So and so makes an extra 500k if he gets X amount of sacks. He doesnt give a damn what the record is, he cares about getting sacks and putting good game film on tape so when negotiation time comes around he has leverage and a leg to stand on to value himself.

This :thumbsup: most players will choose to be a professional and understand they need to make a paycheque.

some of the players who have bad character will throw in the towel, but that is to be expected. at least the team will know who they need to get rid of.