Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

How Late Night Television fueled the rise of Trump

So...a bunch of executive orders saying he plans on doing stuff.

How about what has actually been done. Much of that was not major policy in the first place. Reversed on China...can't get healthcare done...can't get tax cuts done...reversed on Iran...

And still nothing to back up your claim about such a neutered military. Hell...Trump got caught tagging how much better our technology is compared to others countries until he realized he was doing that...then switched to give the line that it will be once he rebuilds the military that Obama tore down.

Well kids, can we get back to the article itself? Plenty of other places for the usual slap-fests.

I've deliberately withheld comment on the article from the OP. Mostly because I am grateful for the attempt to provide commentary that isn't the usual 140 character word-vomit click-bait. The author is to be lauded for that. And, kudos for attempting something approximating balance in a world achingly devoid of such.

My initial (and repeated) reaction? "I wish I were her editor".

However, I believe "Editors" these days have gone the way of Blacksmiths and Teletype Operators.

In short, as an author, one must be careful to match substance with format. For example, that which works for a Master's Thesis would be lambasted in a Social Commentary piece. That was perhaps her biggest failing; in striving for balance she often - and repeatedly - negated her own theses.

Sure, the Sam Bee Gaffe was just awful, however, hardly a sign of the kind of malicious intent the author was attemtping to highlight and juxtapose. Rather, it served as a much more salient indicator of the left's "Damn the Torpedoes" approach to nearly 'real-time' contemporaneous satirical commentary.

Worse, the author kept after that one example, when far more telling examples - such as individuals in liberal media going after Trump's unwilling participants of his wife and child - were readily available. In fact, so much so, that I anticipated their obvious usage - to no avail.

in the end, the author failed thusly; The article far too often trod into the all too familiar waters of "See? The L is as bad as the R!" Such an 'argument' is both facile and pointless. In a mud-slinging contest, no one emerges clean.

Where the author showed real promise - and had a rich, verdant vein from which to tap was this:

Late Night Media, in an ongoing fit of pique and self-righteous anger at the results of the election - an election where despite ancillary stories exist as to the validity of such on either side - has devolved from the precision-guided wit of the past to the carpet-bombing of red-state innocents whose only 'sin' is to find affinity with those who choose to deride neither their Point of View or their Pedestrian (and therefore according to Leftist Elitists, apparently pointless) Priorities.

Those late-night satirists who are currently benefiting from the largess of anger, disillusionment and frustration would be well served to remember that such anger is self-defeating. It feeds upon itself until all comedic and outrageous marrow has been sucked from the bone.

Ironically, that same medium that espouses to condemn the kind of vitriolic hate-speech oftentimes found from the now Foundering 'Alt-Right' movement has become that which that which it purports to abhor: An echo chamber or rage,delusion and false-victimization devoid of anything approaching substance nor meaningful alternatives.

In other words: Late Night Satire has become not a sounding board, but rather, a mirror image of the state of the Liberal Democratic Party as it exists today - and why it failed so utterly and completely in the first place.