Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

headed to our place with the family in Orlando in a couple weeks.

3 buddies are going down too for some golf

we are doing a 4 day PGA style event.

$250 per golfer. Lowest score after 4 days takes it all

Anyone want to see how you light $250 on fire?

The winner should at least buy a round of drinks and an eight ball. :music_guitarred:

Think I'm hanging them up for the winter, last week in 50 degree weather and 25 MPH wind gusts wasn't a good time.

The 92 I shot concurs.

Think I'm hanging them up for the winter, last week in 50 degree weather and 25 MPH wind gusts wasn't a good time.

This has been a crazy ass year here.. 3rd wettest on record, soon to be the 2nd. And now it's unseasonably chilly.. With my bad wrists, knee and shoulder - I may right there with you. After this month, I might hang it up till March.

There was a swing?

I didn't even know it was golf related until a buddy pointed it out.

Inch of snow on the ground. Golf is done. Maybe I will get out and make a few swings on a nice day, but other than that it is over.

Wet Fall. I usually like playing in he fall and we play right into November. All October was below average temps and rain.

Oban, Kiyoshi Gold (65g, Stiff)

After testing a buddy's, picked one up. Been playing it for a couple months now....... Best word to describe it: WOW. .......................... This thing is smooth and absolutely launches the ball. But not in a ballooning way, in a penetrating flight way. I love that it's a bit heavier than the shafts I've been playing and I love the lower torque ratings. I've found that the shaft kicks and delivers best when I swing at about 75% - which suggests this shaft is for moderate/deliberate swing tempos... In addition to a new ball I'm playing (more on that in a sec) - I've picked up no less than 10-15 yards on my drives, sometimes more.

https://www.obanshafts.com/woods/kiyoshi-gold/

Titleist AVX

I've discovered a new ball, and it's awesome... As much as I love my Srixon Z-Stars, this ball is even better.............. The best way to describe this ball is to say it's a Pro V1x on roids. It's not only longer than the Z-Star and Pro V line, it's not too far off in terms of playability, touch and feel. I hit a towering 6 iron y-day, flewi in from 176 - and it dropped on a dime, right by the pin..... At first glance you will notice a different dimple pattern - almost looks like a Bridgestone B330, but it isn't. As far as durability, I played 27 holes with the same ball, the AVX will not wear out and look dingy after a few holes like a regular Pro V1. This ball is engineered to be low spinning, low flight - but I hit the ball high anyways, so it works for me........ It goes without saying this ball is long, as well as soft, you will not be disappointed.

https://www.titleist.com/product/titleist-avx/001AVXT.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjszhBRDgARIsAH8Kgvd0gn_NGRrV8FZxfFRxZAQ4Obfobr_C2mX6wAadh59CXWNfq1VUs5AaAhlbEALw_wcB

I played Saturday, high 30s and sunny. Actually hit the ball well which was surprising since I havent touched a club since October :)

I played Saturday, high 30s and sunny. Actually hit the ball well which was surprising since I havent touched a club since October :)

Nice.. It was sunny and 71* here - everyone and their dog was out playing.

Just got confirmation.

Headed to Pinehurst late March/Early April

• Like 1

Not sure if this belongs here but this just in ......

Rory still can't putt.

Tell me about your putters.

I have had an oydessey white hot #2 in my bag for 16-18 years. I used to be a very good putter until about 4 years ago. I still may make just as many 15-20 footers. But from 10 and in, especially the tricky 6 foot quick breaking putts I am terrible. I wave. I get to quick. I dont put an honest stroke on it. I tank many of them through the break. Now obviously this is a total breakdown of the putting stroke. A different putter wont cure all. But they say when all else fails give yourswlf a different look.

I was the guy who would pick on players who had 2, 3, 5 puttes they rotated at times. But I may have to become that guy.

Maybe get a couple different ping sigma gs for 130 a piece. Maybe a couple of completely different putter heads just to see if anything catches on for me.

Anyone here do the song and dance between multiple putters?

I think I just played about 10 consecutive rounds with my rangefinder accidentally set to meters instead of yards.

Discovered it when another guy and I got differing yardages.....and suddenly, a whole lot of shots I'd been hitting made a lot more fuccking sense.

1 minute ago, cbfalcon said:

I think I just played about 10 consecutive rounds with my rangefinder accidentally set to meters instead of yards.

Discovered it when another guy and I got differing yardages.....and suddenly, a whole lot of shots I'd been hitting made a lot more fuccking sense.

Had that happen on a golf cart a few months back.  Played about 6 holes with at least 2 balls in the water before we figured it out.  :wall:

28 minutes ago, cbfalcon said:

You should have set your clubs to meters.  :dunno:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

You should have set your clubs to meters.  :dunno:

Just convert 1.1:1 and you're fine!

Masters week is as good a time as any to start talking golf again. I made the iron purchase leap. Replaced my 8 year old Callaway Razr's with the new Callaway Apex irons. Did the full fitting at a Golftec, tried a couple iron heads and worked through about 8 shaft options.

I am embracing old man golf, as I am now playing irons with Project X graphite shafts that are 63g, whereas my previous shafts were 106g I believe. I found one review that said the shafts I have can be fitted for senior or even women's clubs. That said, the reality is I just have a smooth enough transition and release that the numbers and accuracy allowed for said shafts. At the fitting, my 7 iron numbers went from 160 yards to 177 yards. As for Apex, going from cast to forged is focking sweeet like sugar butter. Maybe the only comparison that makes sense is the difference between finishing in a warm vagina vs a cold anus. Both are damned nice, but reminiscing on one can cause growth just typing about it on a low rent lightly trafficked message board a week later.

3 rounds in, and I've went 76, 79, 83. I've shot in the 70's many times, but had never went back to back......And the 83 started off with a 38. I know exactly where it went wrong. I started believing I was the shiit, starting pulling 2 clubs less than I once would and swinging harder instead of just smooth nutting it, lost my rhythm and couldn't get it back, and end up making a bunch of double bogeys.

So new clubs....they are the balls. I may go pro.

Not gonna lie, you and graphite.. Makes sense.

I suck tho, so not talking sh!t. Carry on.

Just like every year at the beginning golf game has been on point. I hit the ball better in March/April then say June/July every stinking year. I only break 80 maybe a half dozen times a year, shot 79 the other day and missed 4 putts inside 5 feet :wall:

4 birdies yesterday for an 81 :lol:

Focking course is beyond soaked. It'll be weeks before it completely dries out.

I played in a fundraising outing on Good Friday for a friends kids baseball team.  Course was soaked (Cart Path only), it was a scramble with two teams of four playing simultaneously, and it was about 35 degrees and super windy.  The round took over 7 hours!  🤢

12 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I played in a fundraising outing on Good Friday for a friends kids baseball team.  Course was soaked (Cart Path only), it was a scramble with two teams of four playing simultaneously, and it was about 35 degrees and super windy.  The round took over 7 hours!  🤢

OMG, seriously? :shocking:

My ass would be inside, writing a check and drinking bourbon. :D

14 minutes ago, patweisers44 said:

I played in a fundraising outing on Good Friday for a friends kids baseball team.  Course was soaked (Cart Path only), it was a scramble with two teams of four playing simultaneously, and it was about 35 degrees and super windy.  The round took over 7 hours🤢

The Tiger Effect???? They come out of the Woodswork when he starts winning, dusting off their clubs or rebuying the ones they sold for 50 buck at a yard sale back in 2012.

For those that want to laugh at my swing I recorded some 7 iron swings last night. It poured and then it stopped so I hit the range.

I've barely played this year but any critique is appreciated. I'll end up removing the video later on, :D

1. Yes I know I'm swaying on my back swing 

2. Also know I am not dropping my lead shoulder on my downswing / into impact like I want to

Both of those things are causing me to lose distance and my misses have been weak fades as I am sort of wiping across the ball.

That cannot be you, there was no whining in a 6 minute period.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, edjr said:

There was a lot of silent whining on every poor shot

6 minutes ago, edjr said:

Plus no Mickelson blow up doll............WW imposter.  :thumbsdown:

Just now, Cruzer said:

Plus no Mickelson blow up doll............WW imposter.  :thumbsdown:

It's deflated in my bag. Had to ditch the rain jacket to make room ;)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

For those that want to laugh at my swing I recorded some 7 iron swings last night. It poured and then it stopped so I hit the range.

I've barely played this year but any critique is appreciated. I'll end up removing the video later on, :D

1. Yes I know I'm swaying on my back swing 

2. Also know I am not dropping my lead shoulder on my downswing / into impact like I want to

Both of those things are causing me to lose distance and my misses have been weak fades as I am sort of wiping across the ball.

Cant tell at that speed, but are you doing a little hand rolling at the take away?  Clubhead has to stay outside of hands on backswing.

Going to need to see a slow motion shot... preferably one where your clothes are replaced with a bikini... and you're replaced with Paige Spiranac.

10 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Cant tell at that speed, but are you doing a little hand rolling at the take away?  Clubhead has to stay outside of hands on backswing.

Hmm. Good point. 

42 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

One thing that will help is taking an old shaft or an alignment stick and putting it in your hands as you grip the club.  The stick should be long enough to come under your left armpit and rest against the side of your torso.  Take slow backswings and make the alignment stick "ride" down your torso and left thigh.  This will help keep the club in front of you.  You will feel much more of a feeling of an earlier c0cking of the wrists. You may feel like a Jim Furyk-esque looping move in order to shallow the club in transition.  If you have been steep and wiping across the ball, this will feel really strange.

15 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

One thing that will help is taking an old shaft or an alignment stick and putting it in your hands as you grip the club.  The stick should be long enough to come under your left armpit and rest against the side of your torso.  Take slow backswings and make the alignment stick "ride" down your torso and left thigh.  This will help keep the club in front of you.  You will feel much more of a feeling of an earlier c0cking of the wrists. You may feel like a Jim Furyk-esque looping move in order to shallow the club in transition.  If you have been steep and wiping across the ball, this will feel really strange.

No it makes perfect sense. One of the drills I do when I practice is actually an exaggerated furyk swing. 

36 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

No it makes perfect sense. One of the drills I do when I practice is actually an exaggerated furyk swing. 

Try exaggerating Ray Floyd’s swing. You bring it outside the plane on the backswing and downswing. You have great tempo though.

The two negatives I noticed were...

The clubface is wide wide open at the top. I tend to have my clubface too closed at the top, and am actively working on that....Also seems to be a loss of posture on the backswing. 

The tempo is nice though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbfalcon said:

The two negatives I noticed were...

The clubface is wide wide open at the top. I tend to have my clubface too closed at the top, and am actively working on that....Also seems to be a loss of posture on the backswing. 

The tempo is nice though. 

Thanks, the loss of posture on the backswing would be a result of the "sway" on the backswing that I mentioned. I can't feel it so much when I'm swinging but it's clearly evident in the video

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Thanks, the loss of posture on the backswing would be a result of the "sway" on the backswing that I mentioned. I can't feel it so much when I'm swinging but it's clearly evident in the video

I always considered “swaying” to be swaying towards the back foot away from the target. ....Whereas the loss of posture is you standing up on the backswing. That would give you less room to swing in to out. Almost looks like your weight is in the heels at the top as opposed to the inside of the ball of your right foot. 

But none of that stands out to me as much as how open the clubface is at the top. Seems like it would take quite a bit of effort to get it back to square. 

Of course, you are probably a better golfer than I am, so all advice should be taken with a grain of salt.