Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Bored Rooned

All the kids on the mange bored talking about fantasy foosball is rooning the forearm. Focking hamsters. :mad:

Yeah, I get the irony of the following comment but still;

I haven't played it yet fantasy footballIn years. It pretty much jump the shark for me When people's wives and mothers in law Etc started playing with them.Don't get me wrong, That's probably a nice way 2 Bond with the family.

But it just got so ridiculous. ESPN and other networks have an entire Show's dedicated fantasy football Where you know these guys are just talking out their ass.

Plus, while I know some people make the argument That it makes Them more interested in games they wouldn't normally care about, I found it just ruined football as an experience for me.

I'm not as bad as some of my friends were or are, But God damn football used to be 3 - 6 hours of just sitting around drinking beer Turning off your brain and enjoying the game for the game itself.Now you got guys watching for different screens checking their tablet For their fantasy scores and on and on and on. It's just too God damn much work when its supposed to be a relaxing experience.

On the flip side, The part that could have been fun, The in-season trades And other things to keep it interesting Never happened. Because everybody else thought somehow they were getting Rogered in the deal.

Not to mention our our drafts wete just a shitshow. Guys would see this as a Kitchen pass away from the wife And use it as an opportunity to get shitcanned drunk. Which I respect and admire. But keep your s*** together long enough to know that you're not going to pick up Tom Brady in the fourth round.Whose turn is it? Yours Buckhead. Okay Has anybody taken Peyton Manning yet? Always thought that kind of offense Should result in loss of a pic.

Not bashing anybody who still plays. More power to you as long as you enjoy it and don't take it too seriously.

I barely even watch the nfl anymore, much less play fantasy football.

I pay attention and watch the Pats... will put on MNF sometimes... but it's not like it was 5, 10, 15 years ago.

IMO, The NFL has peaked and fantasy football is a big part of the rise, peak, and fall.

It's similar to MLB in the '80s and baseball cards.

EVERYONE was collecting cards and everyone knew all the players' names, stats, rookies, etc.

Once the interest in cards waned, so too did MLB (for me at least) and then the McGuire/Sosa/Bonds steroids scandal finished them off - MLB is still recovering and nowhere near its peak.

The same thing is happening to the NFL - fantasy has replaced cards and any number of scandals could plague the league just like roids did for MLB.

:dunno:

I have my long time (23 years?) draft next week... I haven't even looked at anything to prepare - it's just not the same anymore.

• Like 1

Posty werds

Can't compare collecting a piece of cardboard that you just state at to the planning and strategy that goes into ffball. That's what it is, a game that involves planning with real life interaction with players. It will become less prevalent at some point, but for now it's not going anywhere. Many of the people who played 25 years ago are still playing to this day. That should tell you something about the level of enjoyment people get out of the game.

Can't compare collecting a piece of cardboard that you just state at to the planning and strategy that goes into ffball.

I disagree.

Card collecting was a full culture in the '80... trading, comparing, estimating costs , buying pricing guides, etc. There are a LOT of similarity between card collecting and fantasy - mainly it was an outside way for fans to become more engaged and feel like they were making money when their favorite players did well.

Kids and adults would watch games just to see how their "rookies" were doing... the value of rookie cards would skyrocket.

For me part of it is certainly being a dad am not having a 3-hour window I watch football during the day anymore. And part of it is that the Eagles have really not been a contender in years.

But I think the sport is really over saturated with too many games too many days of the week, the product has become worse and the commissioner is easily the worst of the 4 major sports. I agree with you on fantasy football's overall bad impact on the sport with an over focus on scoring and inconsistent rules designed to protect skill players.

I think the NFL had a hayday from the mid/late 80s through the early 2000s and it's been on the downslope for me since. I actually prefer MLB and NBA these days.

• Like 1

sadly. this

I do have a small obsession with ffball. I kind of wish I could use all the time I spend researching it for my 5 leagues to do something useful, like get rich.

my 5 leagues

ouch.

just not enjoyable for me... had 3 leagues one season and HATED it.,,, five? :vomit:

I'm in 1 league (dynasty) and I don't have time for it

I'm in 1 league (dynasty) and I don't have time for it

how much time does it take to completely suck at it?

I will not play fantasy football this year for the first time in 16 years.

At my peak I was a Commish of a long time league of friends, played in the IBL, played in two other 'big' leagues, posted about it non stop. I could tell you the 5th WR on the depth chart of every NFL team and their ADP (if they had one).

Right now? I couldn't tell you the consensus Top 10 overall.

Work, kids, wife, golf, coaching baseball takes up 25 hours of my day.

It will be sort of weird this year, but I don't miss it. (Yet?)

• Like 1

I don't get the whole not having time. After the draft all I need is an injury report and the schedule. All the work is done for you now. A daily read of rotoworld is really all I do.

After 20+ years, fantasy football finally rooned by football enjoyment. That plus - I'm usually on the golf course Sunday a.m. - don't 'have the time (or desire) to fock with f-football shiat.

Yeah I haven't golfed this year at all. Would rather play ffball if I have the choice. There's just nothing else I can do that requires this much strategy while changing so much year to year. That's part of why it's so much fun to me, it's always evolving.

I'm a Bills fan so therefore I am forced to play fantasy football. I have to have something to root for in the second half of the season <_<

• Like 1

There's just nothing else I can do that requires this much strategy

Psssst.... it's 90% half luck!

I don't get the whole not having time. After the draft all I need is an injury report and the schedule. All the work is done for you now. A daily read of rotoworld is really all I do.

Back when I was seriously into FFball I'd probably spend 4 hours per week reading recaps, player updates, injury reports, news etc. and just managing my team. I'm guessing the quality team owners in my league spend at least that time on it.

I can't say I don't have 4 hours per week to dedicate to ffball. But after working 50+ hours, going to the gym, spending time with my son and wife, etc. it's not something I really feel like doing anymore. The last few years even having a team has felt like a drag.

I make my own luck.

Except in my big money league where my team dies every year.

I can't change that luck.

I've not been part of a draft in about 4 years, but this seems to be even more prevalent now. And I was thinking it had a lot to do with the diminished roll of rb's. Back in the day everyone drafted rb's early and heavy. Emmitt, Barry, Faulk, etc.. were cornerstones to a great, somewhat predictable season... Now? Now it's a chunk and hope arena - wr's and qb's are the main weapons and when a rb actually does score, chances are it's a specialty back who nobody even has on a roster.

Back when I was seriously into FFball I'd probably spend 4 hours per week reading recaps, player updates, injury reports, news etc. and just managing my team. I'm guessing the quality team owners in my league spend at least that time on it.

I can't say I don't have 4 hours per week to dedicate to ffball. But after working 50+ hours, going to the gym, spending time with my son and wife, etc. it's not something I really feel like doing anymore. The last few years even having a team has felt like a drag.

Yeah, years ago that was the case and I did it too. Once you realize like TD said that there is so much luck involved, and the guys who write about it post draft don't know anymore than the rest of us, just having the injury, usage and schedule info is about all you need, and you can find that anywhere for free. Plus the over/under might be the best way to decide who to start.

Yeah, years ago that was the case and I did it too. Once you realize like TD said that there is so much luck involved, and the guys who write about it post draft don't know anymore than the rest of us, just having the injury, usage and schedule info is about all you need, and you can find that anywhere for free. Plus the over/under might be the best way to decide who to start.

Doing all the research and stuff for draft is the best part. Once actual games start its about 90% luck and we have zero control over it. We like to say we do and that we are so skilled but its laughable how many variables go into winning a FF game. I still love it though and the excitement of gameday is great.

I've seen too many teams that were "autodrafted" according to some list do just as well as teams with owners that spent hours preparing.

Information is at everyone's fingertips now... it just isn't like it once was when info was harder to come by... you had to really do you homework. read NFL news and participate in lightly trafficked message boreds to be informed.

Not anymore. Fantasy Football was once a die-hard fan's challenge - now it's a strip mall, Parker Brothers game that every household is playing.

I've seen too many teams that were "autodrafted" according to some list do just as well as teams with owners that spent hours preparing.

Information is at everyone's fingertips now... it just isn't like it once was when info was harder to come by... you had to really do you homework. read NFL news and participate in lightly trafficked message boreds to be informed.

Not anymore. Fantasy Football was once a die-hard fan's challenge - now it's a strip mall, Parker Brothers game that every household is playing.

Yup. Still fun though and draft day is great, and the raunch and s-talking with men is the best part. If you're playing with family it's not the same.

I make my own luck.

Except in my big money league where my team dies every year.

I can't change that luck.

injuries have all but ruined fantasy sports for me.

I have enough things that stress me out and drive me to kill.

Yup. Still fun though and draft day is great, and the raunch and s-talking with men is the best part. If you're playing with family it's not the same.

The draft is all that is left that is enjoyable about fantasy football.

And we're getting older.

:thumbsup:

And we're getting older.

F'n crazy... but yeah.

I was a single guy in my late 20's when I started posting here ('99)... not single or 20's anymore

F'n crazy... but yeah.

I was a single guy in my late 20's when I started posting here ('99)... not single or 20's anymore

..Or a guy.

I play in the Dynasty league with edjr, kunts, et al. I also have a 100$ redraft with my local friends.

I don't really do any research or anything anymore though. Just sort of wing it. :)

I've still got my one main league I've been in a long time. We do draft trips every year and that's most of the fun now. Once the actual season starts it's pretty boring other than the occasional flare up where someone gets their panties in a twist over a trade or something

coaching baseball

That reminds me....you kind of let your tee ball thread die on the vine. we never did get those pics of the hot baseball moms you promised us.

Can't compare collecting a piece of cardboard that you just state at to the planning and strategy that goes into ffball. That's what it is, a game that involves planning with real life interaction with players. It will become less prevalent at some point, but for now it's not going anywhere. Many of the people who played 25 years ago are still playing to this day. That should tell you something about the level of enjoyment people get out of the game.

If you think fantasy football takes planning and skill then not sure what to tell you. I realized it did not a long long time ago.

I still love watching football although I think the rules are killing the game. But health safety what can you do.

I still play fantasy but not serious about it anymore. I have fun at our draft still and it is just still a fun little way to small side bet the nfl in a way.

I'm 28 and have played fantasy football since I was 8 years old. I remember when ai first heard about it my uncle ran a league and I thought it was cool. Before internet really. Looking up stats on the paper. Phone in your starting lineup. We all remember those good ol days. The league I am in actually stayed like that into the internet age a bit. Not phone but email lineups and results. We have a full on IDP league....we start 11 defensive players. We start 7 offensive players. The scoring is home made. Been like that for ever since I recall. I used to run a 4 man league when I was like 9 with 3 friends from thr neighborhood that lasted like 5 years.

I take fantasy football for what it is now. As a kid I loved it and put time into it. Today it is a fun little social thing.

It has sort of ruined football in a way. Not really for me but having to hear all the dorks talk about their fantasy teams like I care. And havibg silly shows on tv dedicated to this percieved skill and studying.

I've long realized no planning or real skill needs to be involved. Know who is injured? Sure.