Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

XFL Making a Comeback

anybody think this will be an NFL minor league and kick the NCAA to the curb ? if he was smart that is the way he would go

I think he's going to need some players with name recognition, especially at the outset... Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, etc. The play on the field was pretty bad (from my recollection) so the league is going to need something to keep the viewers returning on a regular basis.

he needs to offer up coaches that can develop NFL level talent... then needs to pay students more than they are making in college

Wasn't the draw of the original XFL that it would be more physical/violent? These days he can't lean on that again, so it will be interesting to see what the plan is. Maybe for the Justin Blackmons and Josh Gordons of the world, a little less strict on drug testing?

Wasn't the draw of the original XFL that it would be more physical/violent? These days he can't lean on that again, so it will be interesting to see what the plan is. Maybe for the Justin Blackmons and Josh Gordons of the world, a little less strict on drug testing?

I would be down for a little less strict drug testing as well as the officials being a little less flag happy + less instant replay.... maybe i'm in the minority here though

He will market to those who don't want their athletes kneeling or preaching ethics....or their referees interfering with the outcome of games with silly interpretation of the rules or the rules that have puuussified the game. Essentially, bring back football from the early 1990s. :overhead:

I think he's going to need some players with name recognition, especially at the outset... Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, etc. The play on the field was pretty bad (from my recollection) so the league is going to need something to keep the viewers returning on a regular basis.

The first couple of weeks was brutal. After that, it actually got quit good, but by then it was far to late.

Well he's either going to compete with the NFL or the NCAA. I'd bet it's the NCAA. Two reasons. It seems far more viable to me. Since it's a heck of a lot cheaper to start off, and viewers will still pay for a lower a quality football when the players are young. People don't want to pay for washed up NFL retreads or players that are not good enough to make it to the NFL. They tried to compete against the NFL with inferior talent and it didn't work. Not sure why he'd try that again.

Per ESPN...

- League will start in 2020

- 8 teams
​- 10 week schedule

- ideal gametime would be 2 hours
​- 40 man rosters

Quotes from McMahon...

"We are evaluating a player based on many things, including the quality of human being they are," McMahon said. If you have any sort of criminal record or commit a crime you aren't playing in this league."

"One thing we are not is a development league for the NFL," McMahon said.

Per ESPN...

"We are evaluating a player based on many things, including the quality of human being they are," McMahon said. If you have any sort of criminal record or commit a crime you aren't playing in this league."

"One thing we are not is a development league for the NFL," McMahon said.

Sounds like he's trying to compete with the Canadian Football League.

It seems like he's learned a lot from what did and didn't work in the XFL 1.0 and is mixing that with what fans are unhappy with today's current NFL product. So simpler rules where we'll know what is a catch, less flags, quicker gameplay (trying to format a game into a two hour window), etc. I'm not sure he'll be able to hold up to his no DUI, no criminality comment as that will eliminate a good portion of potential player pool. I saw Manziel already tweeted out #XFL2020 and tagged Vince McMahon but technically he's not eligible to play according to McMahon. I think the XFL will need name players like Manziel, Kaepernick, etc to generate interest.

He also states he will be hiring a lot of football experts and will be listening to the fans which is something the NFL refuses to do. There's definitely potential here and I'll be interested. But then again I'm a football junkie so I would tune in regardless. It will be interesting to see where franchises are placed. In the XFL it was a mix of big cities with smaller markets from what I remember.

I have such fantasy football withdrawal every winter that I'd actually look forward to this. I would probably set up a small league with whoever is interested in my normal league. The interesting thing is that there will be a lot of unknown players so rankings/drafting would not be so automatic.

I actually remember watching some of the later games, and enjoying them.

Some of it I liked, especially being able to have a man in motion when they snapped the ball.

If they get rid of the false start/PI/catch BS it would be a lot more watchable.

One thing I would love to see is better commentary; if the coaches had to send last plays plan to the booth, it would be fun to see the commentators tear into it while the teams were in the huddle.

They should run it from end of March through the end of June and play their SB on July 4th. Don't even compete w NCAA or NFL. They would garner huge fantasy attention that way.

Fix the catch rule, eliminate the tuck rule, have better safety and open up the field/motions to encourage trick plays. More area league than a return to huge hits.

They should run it from end of March through the end of June and play their SB on July 4th. Don't even compete w NCAA or NFL. They would garner huge fantasy attention that way.

Fix the catch rule, eliminate the tuck rule, have better safety and open up the field/motions to encourage trick plays. More area league than a return to huge hits.

This. Dont need the big hits to make a really enjoyable product. Long passes, fewer penalties, shoot out games. We like interceptions and fumbles, more of those will happen too.

The XFL has a great chance to really make the NCAA and the NFL very scared. If the XFL allows 18 year olds to play in their league and allow high school kids to skip college and just get paid, they're going to take a lot of 5-star athletes from college and that would really make things hard for the NCAA if they maintain their stance on not paying student athletes (which I agree with). I mean, let's face it, they're getting paid already anyway... everybody's just looking the other way.

They way for the XFL to hurt the NFL is to have these high schooler's sign 5 year deals. This would really hurt the NFL draft and limit it's talent pool and the value of the draft. It would also make it a lot harder for teams to trade players for picks because the picks are now more valueable.

Here's another thing, that I'm only "sort of" sure of... so I may be wrong. But, once a player is paid for playing football, they're no longer eligible for the NFL draft. If that's the case, then all of these players that went right to the XFL after high school and going to cost the NFL and the NFLPA a real headache. Instead of having a rookie at 21 (for example), play 5 years for you at a bargain price, then hit the FA market at 26 looking for a payday, you're going to have former 18 year old's, now 23 years old, looking for that big payday. That will cause a nightmare between the Union and the owners. The NFLPA doesn't care about the XFL players coming in, they care about their own current players. They're going to want to put restrictions on the money those XFL'ers get so that the 25/26 year old FA's aren't competing with 23 year old's for the same money.

It could be a Pandora's Box scenario in the NFL.

• Like 1

I understand the no criminal record quote, but I don't want it to happen. Yes, they probably want to avoid guys that will garner negative attention (Greg Hardy). XFL will be seen as a dumping ground for players who failed in the NFL for the wrong reasons. Although I think Hardy is playing arena league ball.

But guys like Manziel? Some DWI's? Give me a break! I'd tune in to see a guy like Manziel fail or succeed in a lesser league. It'd be fun.

Thought the new XFL might really gain some tractions if Vince came out in said, "Play hard-nosed football and smoke weed. It's all allowed here in the XFL."

• Like 1

I understand the no criminal record quote, but I don't want it to happen. Yes, they probably want to avoid guys that will garner negative attention (Greg Hardy). XFL will be seen as a dumping ground for players who failed in the NFL for the wrong reasons. Although I think Hardy is playing arena league ball.

But guys like Manziel? Some DWI's? Give me a break! I'd tune in to see a guy like Manziel fail or succeed in a lesser league. It'd be fun.

Thought the new XFL might really gain some tractions if Vince came out in said, "Play hard-nosed football and smoke weed. It's all allowed here in the XFL."

I'm sure that will be elaborated on as we get closer to kickoff of the league. He's going to figure out that he's going to miss out on not just a few big name players (which he will need to sign to generate interest) but on a large player pool overall. I bet once we hit 2020 the "no criminality" comment will be taken as a from this point forward in the XFL and not for past transgressions. I'm sure he will sell a zero tolerance policy sort of deal meaning a big name player like Manziel can sign and play but one screw up and he's released type of deal.

The whole NCAA/NFL situation as pointed above is where the XFL can and should capitalize. There will be players who will look to either go straight from high school to the XFL or leave after a season and go get paid in the XFL before making the jump to the NFL.

Wont see an empty seat at Ohio State, but how you all didn't know there were empty seats this year in the NFL just for the kneeling is amazing. NCAA and NFL are 2 different animals, some like college football more then professional.

Difference is if Tebow was playing down the road for the XFL during a Gator game it would be a second option.

Wont see an empty seat at Ohio State, but how you all didn't know there were empty seats this year in the NFL just for the kneeling is amazing. NCAA and NFL are 2 different animals, some like college football more then professional.

Bible Belt for one has always preferred NCAAF. Even before protests.

Dont get so caught up on that. McMahon is a hype man. Theres nothing behind those words. Money always trumps ethics. Hell get the best players he can minus the kneelers.

I tht he went over the top with no record thing. 2 drinks nowadays is all it takes for a DWI. As far as ethics im sure if somebody checked the wrestlers from the outside we would see alot useing steroids. His wife Linda works for Trump, there wont be kneeling i wouldnt think. Tend to agree with you yank, but stopped watching wrestling years ago for the most part.

Difference is if Tebow was playing down the road for the XFL during a Gator game it would be a second option.

last I checked the last Gator game at home is usually late November, early Dec

so zero relevance

I hope it succeeds, I will watch it, I like others want this catch garbage redone, take away illegal motions, (like allow 2 guys to go in motion same time), take out instant replay completely, give teams 2 time outs per quarter (lose one if not used in quarter 1) and those are the only stoppage of play at all. Teams have 30 second play calls, and 30 seconds after a score to kick off. Only commercials are during time outs

Nope, I like the instant replay. And I would keep the challenge flags, but make all penatlies challengable as well.

Nope, I like the instant replay. And I would keep the challenge flags, but make all penatlies challengable as well.

I'd make unlimited challenges. Though, the penalty for being wrong is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. If a team gets 3 challenges wrong, like with other unsportsmanlike penalties, someone gets ejected. In this case, the opposing team gets to pick what player gets ejected.

I'd make unlimited challenges. Though, the penalty for being wrong is a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. If a team gets 3 challenges wrong, like with other unsportsmanlike penalties, someone gets ejected. In this case, the opposing team gets to pick what player gets ejected.

I love it! Actually adds a good level of intrigue to the whole issue, but rather than a player, the coach gets ejected.

I love it! Actually adds a good level of intrigue to the whole issue, but rather than a player, the coach gets ejected.

I'd be ok with that.

anybody think this will be an NFL minor league and kick the NCAA to the curb ? if he was smart that is the way he would go

That would be the only reason to bring it back. College does a TERRIBLE job of preparing players for the NFL. Take a look at the huge talent gap at QB right now. Its been this way for a while now too.

Vince McMahon is already involved in the NFL as it is - He scripts up the Patriots BS Super Bowl wins each year. ;)

Sounds like he's trying to compete with the Canadian Football League.

well, last go around, the quality of player didnt compare.

Players who were cut from the CFL went to the XFL. CFL paid far better than XFL did.

I suspect a different business model needs to be in place to make this work.

if you consider what McMahon is all about, and they want to be rebellious, they should just say Steroids & performance enhancing drugs are allowed and then people will come out to see the freak show.

They would appeal to a completely different type of fan.

if you consider what McMahon is all about, and they want to be rebellious, they should just say Steroids & performance enhancing drugs are allowed and then people will come out to see the freak show.

​While your at it designate someone to plan the march on congress for the following year.

Le'veon Bell would quickly retire from the NFL and sign with the XFL in a heartbeat.

When did weed become more valuable than money? XFL ain’t paying him more. Besides, he can have all the weed he wants now if he can avoid being one of the idiots who get caught.