Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Does anybody have a take on net neutrality?

I admit I know next to nothing on this so bear with me. But the concern about nickel-and-diming seems to me almost like worrying that the gas station across the street...because they can...Will suddenly raise their rates. Why would they? When everyone can just go to the gas station on the other side of the street.

They could make their pumps go slower. But why would they when the station across the street will pump the gas just like it was?

I tend to side on the less regulations to better but how is my analogy incorrect?

Just how many gas stations aka internet providers do you have access to? I have one provider where I live. I am at there mercy.

Just how many gas stations aka internet providers do you have access to? I have one provider where I live. I am at there mercy.

Yeah I'm not arguing with you. I'm just trying to understand the processes. Wouldn't that create competition then if one company started jacking with people nickel-and-diming them?

i should be paid to post here.

no. no. either way, nobody will ever see your posts- - lemme' 'splain...

No Net Neutrality:

Mike's gonna' pay you to post here.

Then because your postentines are so greta, teh VerizonCast is gonna' charge all innerweb surfers to access your postentines.

And when nobody pays the VerizonCast, your posts will never be seen again.

Net Neutrality:

"You have chosen to block all posts by ROCKFORD"

90% of people. this.

2 for me and they both suxor.

Verizon and Comcast

2 for me and they both suxor.

Verizon and Comcast

fios?

yes,

lucky. we only have comsuck

Right for you guys complaining about this vote this was only since 2015 correct? I don't recall it being complete chaos before 2015 was it?

Because the FCC effectively used net neutrality for over a decade before it was an actual law:

"In February 2004 then Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell announced a set of non-discrimination principles, which he called the principles of "Network Freedom". In a speech at the Silicon Flatirons Symposium, Powell encouraged ISPs to offer users these four freedoms:[27]

Freedom to access content

Freedom to run applications

Freedom to attach devices

Freedom to obtain service plan information"

That resulted in multiple cases where ISPs were caught doing the things they swear they would never do, and were forced to cease and desist.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dailydot.com/layer8/net-neutrality-violations-history/

The current FCC considers even that to be over-regulation and will allow service providers to do those things as long as they disclose it to their customers.

if i had a penny for every time sux, or jerryskids clicked on one of my threads ... :cheers:

I'm sure the telecom companies spent half a billion lobbying to get rid of net neutrality because they don't want to charge more for their services.

And no it won't be charging you by which site you go to. I'm sure they'll go straight to amazon and facebook and youtube and netflix and inform them that they'll need to pay up if they want to maintain the user experience. That cost will of course get passed along.

• Like 2

For those with the "I only have one ISP choice anyways" mantra, that really has nothing to do with this. Your connection to Netflix doesn't go directly from your ISP to their data center. It goes through numerous other networks to get there and likely one or more of those is owned by a large company such as Comcast. When net neutrality is gone there will be nothing preventing Comcast from going to Netflix and asking for money not to limit how fast their traffic goes through Comcast's network. And, as others have noted, this additional cost will ultimately be passed along to you. But my bigger concern is how this may impact startups. What makes the internet great is anyone can come up with an idea and, for relatively little cost, get it on the Internet and see if it takes off. What happens when a company like Twitter, before it starts monetizing it's idea, gets hit up as it's traffic is starting to increase, for a large bill so Comcast doesn't significantly limit it's traffic. They can't afford to pay it but if their site becomes hard to get to or god awful slow it could kill a startup before they even become something.

• Like 1

So, could this impact the use of CC (cryptocurrency)?

Good question. Coinbase might get effected. I'm not sure if the isp's could effect the mining operations though since they're decentralized.

The most likely issue to pop up first will be ISPs trying to throttle speeds or block content that would compete with their own services (like Comcast for example limiting Netflix because it competes with their own video on demand services, or like Verizon's attempt to block Google Pay in order to promote their own version).

:thumbsup: This guy gets it.

For those with the "I only have one ISP choice anyways" mantra, that really has nothing to do with this. Your connection to Netflix doesn't go directly from your ISP to their data center. It goes through numerous other networks to get there and likely one or more of those is owned by a large company such as Comcast. When net neutrality is gone there will be nothing preventing Comcast from going to Netflix and asking for money not to limit how fast their traffic goes through Comcast's network. And, as others have noted, this additional cost will ultimately be passed along to you. But my bigger concern is how this may impact startups. What makes the internet great is anyone can come up with an idea and, for relatively little cost, get it on the Internet and see if it takes off. What happens when a company like Twitter, before it starts monetizing it's idea, gets hit up as it's traffic is starting to increase, for a large bill so Comcast doesn't significantly limit it's traffic. They can't afford to pay it but if their site becomes hard to get to or god awful slow it could kill a startup before they even become something.

:thumbsup: This guy gets it too.

You realize that losing net neutrality means companies can nickel and dime you for everything online right? Like, sign up for yahoo and get google for 5$ a month, plus add on 6 web page views a day for only 10 cents more!

Its the most blatantly bad thing since the Nazis. You are the literal only person, literally...the only one...who isnt vehemently and violently opposed to losing net neutrality. I think theres some confusion.

OMG, you drama queen. You've already lost the argument by referencing Nazis. Are you serious?

again, what - if any - are the positives to removing net neutrality?

what is the rationale for ending it?

Just the catch all argument that regulation is bad.

Just the catch all argument that regulation is bad.

even when the regulation they are opposing is, "monopolies can't regulate the internet"

dumb.

dumb.

dumb.

Obama.

What was happening before Net Neutrality? Did the world end then?

are you for the repeal of net neutrality? If so, please explain why?

right - let's resurrect Bin-Laden while we're at it too then.

You guys are on a roll...Bin Laden and Nazi's so far. Any other mass murderers in History we want to compare to losing Net Neutrality?

Maybe you should answer my questions first.

Nobody ever brings up Pol Pot or Idi Amin. Racist

You guys are on a roll...Bin Laden and Nazi's so far. Any other mass murderers in History we want to compare to losing Net Neutrality?

He wasn't comparing it to bin laden, he was referring to something else Obama did that we can reverse.

Eat something, sarcasm meter is off

Verizon and Comcast, the two biggest companies for ISP were for NN, why do you think that?

They're only playing to the crowd by saying they favor NN. Trying to put their customers at ease. Behind closed doors the big shots are smiling, winking and fist bumping each other with this move.

These companies stand to make more money with this repeal. That is all these companies care about and within a couple of years they'll start to exploit the new (or lack of) rules.

are you for the repeal of net neutrality? If so, please explain why?

I'm going to go ahead and guess he doesn't know what it is. Maybe he's related to RaiderHatersRevenge.

I'm going to go ahead and guess he doesn't know what it is. Maybe he's related to RaiderHatersRevenge.

I'm waiting for him to answer my questions first, moron. I'm wondering what he did BEFORE net neutrality was put in place. How did he even survive? How did you survive?

In the meantime, should we add the Khmer Rouge to the list of thing to compare this too? We've got Nazis and Bin Laden so far. Just wondering how far you guys will go.

I'm waiting for him to answer my questions first, moron. I'm wondering what he did BEFORE net neutrality was put in place. How did he even survive? How did you survive?

In the meantime, should we add the Khmer Rouge to the list of thing to compare this too? We've got Nazis and Bin Laden so far. Just wondering how far you guys will go.

Your question was already answered in this very thread. Try reading, before you come in trolling about sh!t that's clearly way over your head.

Your question was already answered in this very thread. Try reading, before you come in trolling about sh!t that's clearly way over your head.

You have no idea who I am or what I know. All you know is that I don't agree with you no questions asked. And that sends you into a tizzy? Now I'm really curious - How do you survive in daily life at all?