Sign in to follow this  
Upper Class Trash

Will you take McFadden in the 3rd?

Finally, we are seeing Darren McFadden fall past the 2nd round. Last season I still saw people reaching for him in early round two. So, the question is this; Do you think he is worthy of a 3rd round pick. Why or why not? If not, in what round will you take a high risk/reward player? Myself, I tend to only "reach" on one guy per year that has any sort of injury history and never before round 3. This season, for the first time since he's been in the league, I'm taking McFadden.

My take; In the 3rd round, you aren't taking much of a risk, especially if you have taken at least one RB prior to selecting him. I may hate myself later, but I have taken him in over 60% of my drafts. He has slipped to the 4th in more than one, but never gone earlier than the 3.01. Any slot in the 3rd makes him a bargain, in my opinion. He's in a contract year and this is do-or-die time for him. If he has a bad season, he's not going to land anything more than a part time role making less than half of what he's making today. If he falters, a 3rd round (third RB for me) miss isn't going to hurt my team as I can fill in the Flex role with someone else. There are "safer" picks I could choose from, but his upside in a contract season is too much to pass on.

Hell no. 5th round? Possibly for upside potential. But my 3rd round pick could easily be something that I know I can start with confidence every week than having to worry about whether or not hes gonna do good or get hurt.

I'm all in with a 3rd round pick. That's a championship winning pick with a 26 year old RB who has the talent to be the #1 overall pick. and if he nukes his knee in week 3..... (admittedly possible, even likely) He's a 3rd rounder and your team can recover.

i took him 2.11 in our MFFL geek league; and i don't have 1 bit of regret.

when healthy, he can put up 20+ ppg - and the switch back to a power blocking scheme will mean he actually should put up even more solid stats when healthy.

sure there is a downside of him maybe missing 4 games, but you mitigate that risk by ensuring you have a solid fill-in.

the games he'll help you win when healthy far outweigh the few games you know he's going to sit out.

You can if you balance out the risk/reward with other picks. A 3rd round pick busting has never ruined my season.

i took him 2.11 in our MFFL geek league; and i don't have 1 bit of regret.

when healthy, he can put up 20+ ppg - and the switch back to a power blocking scheme will mean he actually should put up even more solid stats when healthy.

sure there is a downside of him maybe missing 4 games, but you mitigate that risk by ensuring you have a solid fill-in.

the games he'll help you win when healthy far outweigh the few games you know he's going to sit out.

Agreed. He was just kinda hit in miss in actually helping you win the games that he played in last year. I didn't own him but it seemed about 50-50 that he busted weekly.

Why take that chance though? Why not grab someone you will feel confident about starting week in and week out in the 3rd round? The list of players available in the 3rd round usually are Roddy White, David Wilson, Frank Fore, Stevan Ridley, Randall Cobb, Larry Fitz, Victor Cruz, Peyton Manning. Id much rather take those guys who I can confidently start every week than have to worry about whether or not this guy is gonna be on his game this week or off his game or even hurt.

Why take that chance though? Why not grab someone you will feel confident about starting week in and week out in the 3rd round? The list of players available in the 3rd round usually are Roddy White, David Wilson, Frank Fore, Stevan Ridley, Randall Cobb, Larry Fitz, Victor Cruz, Peyton Manning. Id much rather take those guys who I can confidently start every week than have to worry about whether or not this guy is gonna be on his game this week or off his game or even hurt.

because the drop off from McFadden, to the other 3rd/4th round RBs is about 5 ppg. All of the other guys you mention can be passed on, and there will be a similar player w/ about a 1-2 ppg drop-off.

why wouldn't you want the player that has the highest ppg difference from the next tier down?

because the drop off from McFadden, to the other 3rd/4th round RBs is about 5 ppg.

Says who? A lot of those players consistently OUTSCORED McFadden last year. So unless you have a crystal ball you are hiding you are completely making a number up.

All those guys I listed that would be taken in the 3rd round outscored McFadden quite a bit. And to top it off they arent injury prone like he is. Everyone can get injured. But McFadden excels at it every year. You can take him in the 3rd if you want. As for me, Id much rather take a sure thing and not have to worry week to week whether he is actually gonna score me points or if he is gonna get hurt.

I want as few question marks/ not exactly knowing what im getting as i can with my first 3 picks......so.....no.

• Like 1

Says who? A lot of those players consistently OUTSCORED McFadden last year. So unless you have a crystal ball you are hiding you are completely making a number up.

Sure I am making them up, or I know how to read... Could go either way for me... You obviously dont know how to read judging by your response...

Sure I am making them up, or I know how to read... Could go either way for me... You obviously dont know how to read judging by your response...

That was a good one :mellow:

this is the attitude that gets you a middle place finish every year. Picking DMAC in the 3rd or 4th are the type of picks that win championships (not saying that he is going to pan out). Those high risk high reward picks are what you need be the best, like ADP, lynch, Dez last year are what separate

the pack.

That poses an interesting question McFadden or Wilson? Both have big potential both come with huge risk. Forced to choose who would you take?

More importantly: depends on who you took #1 .

If you went with any combination of WR/TE/QB & DMC would be your #1 RB then he77 to the NO!

I'd consider him if I went RBx2 to start the draft but IF I went with another RB I'd probably go with Miller or Bell or Wilson.

I would go with Wilson instead of McFadden. And no sorry but 3rd round usually doesnt win your championship. Its usually rounds 5-9 where you find some players who explode and start producing like #1s or #2s. Good example was Spiller last year. He helped me win the championship last year. What round did I get him in last year? 8th. Its those picks who will win you your championship. And I sure as hell aint taking a chance on someone who is constantly injured and has had trouble with the new run scheme they implemented. So no thanks

We need to officially name this. I suggest naming it Ryan Mathews syndrome. It is an insistence by terrible fantasy football players to over value an injury prone mediocre player year after year, ignoring all reason and attacking any and all persons trying to help cure them of their affliction.

Every year they get burned, but every year they insist on drafting the guy way too high. Someone should put all the threads together and bump them, so we can ask the really hostile people why they keep doing the same thing every year.

Incidentally, I drafted Mathews twice. Once a few years ago in the 5th or so round when he did very well a few years back, and now again this year since he goes pretty late. I bet he'll blow up again, just as the fools that drafted him R1-R3 give up again. Mwahahaha!!!

Not sure I will ever own Matthews or Mcfadden in any league..it would have to be the 5-6th range before I consider either.

That was last year in a zone blocking scheme, which he couldn't figure out. this year they are moving away from that scheme. Two years ago he was AWESOME until he got hurt. He's young, he's a bell cow RB, and their O-Line has improved. I was burned by him last year, but as my RB2 or 3 I will definitely take a chance on him if he drops to me in the late 3rd.

• Like 1

If he is your 3rd rb you better pray he works out because your WRs are going to be awful.

WRs are going to be awful after the third round? Period? That's it? Don't bother drafting a WR 4th round or later? This makes no focking sense. Stop being silly. :blink:

Always hurt AND he sucked last year. I don't see it. I know, I know, they changed the blocking scheme and yada yada yada, bottom line is this guy has been around long enough you shouldn't have to find reasons to talk yourself into him YET AGAIN.

Ill take offers to bribe me into taking or not mcfadden 3rd or earlier. See im kind of magic, what DMC does depends on if I draft him. If I cross him off my list and dont take him he will have an mvp season, but if I draft him he will have the usual.

Saw this on Rotoworld:

"NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders have "checked in" with contract-year RB Darren McFadden about an extension, but that he wants to reach free agency."

Motivation does not necessarily equal production, but if this is the case he will be very motivated this season.

Saw this on Rotoworld:

"NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Raiders have "checked in" with contract-year RB Darren McFadden about an extension, but that he wants to reach free agency."

Motivation does not necessarily equal production, but if this is the case he will be very motivated this season.

Dang thats a big gamble hes taking. He knows if he blows up he will get a huge payday but if he falters hed be lucky to get a backup gig.

• Like 1

The talent is there. No doubt about it the guy is amazing when he plays. He's in a contract year they changed the blocking scheme. Still he's a HUGE risk. He can make or break your season. If rather take my gambles later in the draft and not in the 3rd or 4th. I think you gamble on players later in the draft.

The talent is there. No doubt about it the guy is amazing when he plays. He's in a contract year they changed the blocking scheme. Still he's a HUGE risk. He can make or break your season. If rather take my gambles later in the draft and not in the 3rd or 4th. I think you gamble on players later in the draft.

This

Money can make people do crazy things for sure. Watch Fear Factor for proof.

I had DMC last year in 1 league so I'm not exactly his biggest fan. I finished 2nd only because I drafted good depth & worked FA well...and got lucky a few times.

The 1 thing I wonder about DMC is: could he have played through any of his injuries in the past had he known that if he did, it could mean a lot more money at the end of that season - and for many seasons to come?

Will he be more inclined to tape/shoot it up or the proverbial "rub some dirt on it" this year as compared to years past to get paid? I believe he will unless it's a significant injury or concussion issue in which its not 100% his decision.

Money = The great motivator. :dunno:

Even that being said ↑

I'm still not so sure I'd draft him. Too many factors to know for sure, with the biggest being who else is available on the board at that time. Right now maybe

40% chance of me selecting him in the 3rd (as a #2).

This jumps to 80%+ if I already have 2 solid RBs.

McFadden can produce IF (notice the significance in the IF) he can stay healthy. The new run scheme they are implementing in Oakland should go well for him. But in the 3rd round I just don't know if I could pull the trigger on him. If by chance the RBs I want in the 3rd round are gone I MIGHT take a chance on him. My draft strategy this year is to load up on RBs first 3 rounds unless my draft goes a different way but from all the other drafts I've done it shouldn't.

I took him as my RB2 in the 4th round of a recent (July) dynasty startup. I traded out of the 3rd after both my targets were taken only to watch SJax/Bush/Sproles get sucked up before my pick in the 4th round. I was reluctant taking McFadden, and in hindsight if he doesn't put up good numbers I shouldn't have traded back - live and learn right? I took Vereen and Ingram not long after and then got both Reece and Jennings as handcuffs towards the end of the draft. I got McCoy in the first, D Thomas in the 2nd and then McFad/Roddy in the 4th. I'm happy with that core so long as McFadden stays healthy and returns to previous potential. If he doesn't that team is likely sunk unless Vereen emerges as a viable RB2.

We have a redraft in two weeks. Depending on who I have from the first two rounds I'd look at Dmac in the 3rd, but I'd likely take Miller/Murray/Sproles before taking another chance on him.

McFadden can produce IF (notice the significance in the IF) he can stay healthy. The new run scheme they are implementing in Oakland should go well for him.

if you have the stomach to change you statement to "McFadden can produce WHEN he is healthy" and draft him knowing that it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN so that you realize you have to have a contingency plan for the games he misses, then i think it's easier to justify a 3rd rounder on him.

me, out of an 18 player roster, i'll typically draft 6 RBs (if not 7) in a league that starts 1 RB and 2 Flex (which can be RB). So i typically like starting 3 RBs. i figure if i can get 9 regular season games from McFadden, those should give me 9 games that i should win due to his 20ppg scoring. if i can squeeze out 1 win out of the 4 games he misses, than i am in the playoffs. what hurts is when he misses playoff games... but if you can get into the playoffs, that's the first battle. ANYTHING can happen from there... so draft him expecting 8-9 regular season games of 20ppg, and then hope he can be around for the playoffs...

i'd rather do that than draft the next tier RB and 'count on' 14-15ppg which may not help me win as many games...

just my $0.02

McFadden can produce IF (notice the significance in the IF) he can stay healthy. The new run scheme they are implementing in Oakland should go well for him. But in the 3rd round I just don't know if I could pull the trigger on him. If by chance the RBs I want in the 3rd round are gone I MIGHT take a chance on him. My draft strategy this year is to load up on RBs first 3 rounds unless my draft goes a different way but from all the other drafts I've done it shouldn't.

I think you are going to see that the whole zone blocking thing being DMCs downfall was just an excuse. If you watched the preseason game against Dallas you watched DMC get engulfed as soon as he touched the football. I would not want to have a RB that is on a team that can't block or play D.

Ryan Mathews syndrome!!! I love it.

Insanity is when you do the same thing and expect different results. We are all guilty of this one time or another.

I'm a longtime McFadden owner who isn't that interested in him this year, but not because of injury. I remain skeptical that the Raiders can re-establish the right run blocking scheme--they tried to reinsert some power looks last season when the ZBS failed, but just didn't get there. I think their line is a mixture of skillsets who aren't great fits together, and I could see their running game continue to unimpress. The Raiders will also have one of the least threatening passing games in the league, which isn't going to help.

I'll take him if they look to have their run blocking and scheme issues fixed in the preseason, but otherwise he's a pass unless he slips to the mid-late 4th.

Ryan Mathews syndrome!!! I love it.

Insanity is when you do the same thing and expect different results. We are all guilty of this one time or another.

who's expecting different results?

2012: 14.84 ppg

2011: 19.73 ppg

2010: 22.52 ppg

i'm expecting the same results he's provided in the past in a power blocking scheme... 19-20ppg, missing 4 games.

so are you just trying to say you are the one insane expecting something different, something less?