Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Jerry Jones named Executive of the Year

Holy crap - imagine the odds you could of gotten on this happening. I would of never believed it.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/cowboys-gm-and-owner-jerry-jones-wins-pfwa-executive-of-the-year.html/

How much did it cost him , did it say ?

Anybody who can have a picture break nationally of him getting a hummer from a stripper in an elevator, and still not miss a beat, has got my vote. Dude has more lives than Bill Clinton.

weepaws, on 15 Jan 2015 - 5:12 PM, said:

How much did it cost him , did it say ?

If you're going to bash him, and we all have - including me, you have to give him props when he does well. By not doing so you prove you're nothing more than a trolling ass clown. And although I believe this award is more the product of Stephen and Will McClay - it was Jerry who finally looked himself in the mirror and made the moves he did based on the wisdom of others. That in itself is to be recognized - and he was.

Jerry Jones executive of the year is like voting RP poster of the year

If you're going to bash him, and we all have - including me, you have to give him props when he does well. By not doing so you prove you're nothing more than a trolling ass clown. And although I believe this award is more the product of Stephen and Will McClay - it was Jerry who finally looked himself in the mirror and made the moves he did based on the wisdom of others. That in itself is to be recognized - and he was.

there was a really interesting article over on bloggingtheboys about jerry's role as GM. long story short, the writer outlined pretty clearly that jerry has never done the day-to-day work of a normal GM. instead, he has almost always delegated those tasks to his staff, while retaining final go/nogo authority.

the conclusion was that when jerry is listening to a good staff (jimmy, bill, jason eras), his authorizations of their recommendations often look good. when he is listening to lesser organizational talent (switzer, campo, gailey, phillips), his authorizations of their recommendations look really bad. this makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider that none of the lesser guys have ever made an organizational impression anywhere else in the league. some good coaches, but not culture-builders.

this is not to say that he hasn't bucked his staff before (e.g., TO), but for the most part, he trusts his subordinates. this tallies with the SI article earlier this season, as well as almost every cowboys insider for the last 10-15 years.

I don't understand him getting the award.

So it was widely known that he wanted to draft Johnny Manziel over Zach Martin but luckily his team of scouts/talent evaluators convinced him Martin was the better selection. Then once they make the playoffs & have a fairly successful season he gets the credit for being executive of the year?!?!

I'm sorry but Jerry deserves no credit for such accolades but rather the Cowboys coaches & scouts. Seems asinine to me.

I don't understand him getting the award.

So it was widely known that he wanted to draft Johnny Manziel over Zach Martin but luckily his team of scouts/talent evaluators convinced him Martin was the better selection. Then once they make the playoffs & have a fairly successful season he gets the credit for being executive of the year?!?!

I'm sorry but Jerry deserves no credit for such accolades but rather the Cowboys coaches & scouts. Seems asinine to me.

He surrounded himself with quality checks and balances? I don't know. It seems like an odd award. Seems like GB had a better draft this year and made better moves like getting Peppers for cheap. The Patriots are also in the AFC Championship game in a year that they gave away players for future picks.

strange how a lot of people are forgetting all those high-risk decisions jerry made, back when everyone is calling him an idiot control freak: keeping garrett, bringing in linehan, too many cooks in the kitchen, romo will never be a viable QB again...and so on. now everyone is saying that the season is due to garrett, and linehan, and marinelli, and romo.

then: "JJ is an idiot for signing players after only 1 big year of production."

now: "JJ is an idiot of he doesn't sign murray."

then: "JJ is an idiot for keeping aging, big-money guys on the roster."

now: "JJ is an idiot for cutting ware."

and my personal favorite...

"JJ is an idiot because he didn't draft manziel. he wanted to, but he didn't. so he's an idiot."

at the end of the day, the guy who takes the heat for bad decisions should also get credit for the good ones. JJ has made more than his fair share of clunkers, but credit where credit is due. i don't think any GM made more high-risk, high-impact decisions in 2014, so given the drastic overperformance of the team, i think the award is quite reasonable.

strange how a lot of people are forgetting all those high-risk decisions jerry made, back when everyone is calling him an idiot control freak: keeping garrett, bringing in linehan, too many cooks in the kitchen, romo will never be a viable QB again...and so on. now everyone is saying that the season is due to garrett, and linehan, and marinelli, and romo.

then: "JJ is an idiot for signing players after only 1 big year of production."

now: "JJ is an idiot of he doesn't sign murray."

then: "JJ is an idiot for keeping aging, big-money guys on the roster."

now: "JJ is an idiot for cutting ware."

and my personal favorite...

"JJ is an idiot because he didn't draft manziel. he wanted to, but he didn't. so he's an idiot."

at the end of the day, the guy who takes the heat for bad decisions should also get credit for the good ones. JJ has made more than his fair share of clunkers, but credit where credit is due. i don't think any GM made more high-risk, high-impact decisions in 2014, so given the drastic overperformance of the team, i think the award is quite reasonable.

From an ESPN The Magazine article, last August, on considering Johnny Manziel in the draft:

"When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy -- any other guy -- it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons," Jones says. "The only way to break out is to gamble -- take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

"I am still so damn mad," he snaps. "I get madder, every day, about missin' him."

From an ESPN The Magazine article, last August, on considering Johnny Manziel in the draft:

"When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy -- any other guy -- it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons," Jones says. "The only way to break out is to gamble -- take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

"I am still so damn mad," he snaps. "I get madder, every day, about missin' him."

This. Jerry loves to hear himself talk but thankfully for their franchise, he started listening instead of talking.

Give the credit where credit is due.

but he trusted the staff he had hired, and went with their recommendation over the guy he wanted most.

and this is somehow wrong?

sirensong, on 16 Jan 2015 - 4:49 PM, said:

this is not to say that he hasn't bucked his staff before (e.g., TO), but for the most part, he trusts his subordinates. this tallies with the SI article earlier this season, as well as almost every cowboys insider for the last 10-15 years.

Parcells did not want TO - Jerry did, Jerry made the call. Nobody at Valley Ranch would of ever signed off on the stupid ass Joey Galloway trade - Jerry wanted it, Jerry did it. Nobody at Valley Ranch would of ever signed off on the Roy Williams deal, Jerry wanted it, Jerry did it. Nobody wanted the big contract extensions on the likes of M. Barber, M. Austin, J. Ratliff, etc.

Jerry may have done as the article suggests - but I've seen very little in regards to positive return in doing so. All of "Jerry's" moves have been busts and have killed this franchise for years. I'm not sure what has happened over the past 3 years or so - but he has finally started let others make the football decisions and it's paying off. Taking 3 offensive lineman in the 1st round, not resigning D. Ware and passing on J. Manziel are all glaring examples of this.

but he trusted the staff he had hired, and went with their recommendation over the guy he wanted most.

and this is somehow wrong?

Nothing wrong at all, and Cowboy fans should be encouraged to have Stephen Jones in the wings. But Exec of the Year? Really now? For not being a jackass and listening to your staff?

Uh huh.

Parcells did not want TO - Jerry did, Jerry made the call.

exactly--a case of jerry bucking his staff, just like galloway et al. you write that you don't know what happened over the last several years to change things, but the answer to that is obvious--he has fully bought into garrett's teambuilding philosophy.

Nothing wrong at all, and Cowboy fans should be encouraged to have Stephen Jones in the wings. But Exec of the Year? Really now? For not being a jackass and listening to your staff?

Uh huh.

most people around the country at the time were saying that he should fire that staff.

so yeah--listening to them instead of firing them is a pretty ballsy executive move.

exactly--a case of jerry bucking his staff, just like galloway et al. you write that you don't know what happened over the last several years to change things, but the answer to that is obvious--he has fully bought into garrett's teambuilding philosophy.

I've seen Garrett's "philosophy" at work, and it's horrific. Passing over and over again when you've huge leads, mismanaging the clock (over and over again). I like Red - but I'm not sure the credit goes to him more than it does Stephen and the Will McClay's of the world.

I've seen Garrett's "philosophy" at work, and it's horrific. Passing over and over again when you've huge leads, mismanaging the clock (over and over again). I like Red - but I'm not sure the credit goes to him more than it does Stephen and the Will McClay's of the world.

you'll note that i specified "teambuilding philosophy". from the very beginning, garrett explicitly stated that he wanted to build a team to play smash-mouth football. why was DAL so relentlessly focused on running the ball this season? because that's what garrett demanded. garrett's offense is based on turner's, which requires the ability to physically pound the football inside, in order to open up the downfield passing game.

until the back half of last 2013, DAL only had half that equation. they could occasionally do well running the football, but not with any consistency, and not against an 8-man front. so yeah--there was the tendency to try to pass his way out of trouble. especially since the defense couldn't be counted on to come up with stops.

this preseason, garrett said that he finally had the right pieces in place, and that fans were going to see the way the offense was intended to be run.

sure enough, that offense looked exactly like what garrett has been talking about for the last 4 years.

infer from that what you will.

infer from that what you will.

B. Callahan is the one who wen to bat for Z. Martin - not Garrett. Examples of that are all over the field. Given the choice between Garret and Stephen/McClay - give the me later.

B. Callahan is the one who wen to bat for Z. Martin - not Garrett. Examples of that are all over the field. Given the choice between Garret and Stephen/McClay - give the me later.

It's 'latter', would'f. :rolleyes:

B. Callahan is the one who wen to bat for Z. Martin - not Garrett.

where are you getting the information that garrett did not want to pick martin?

It's 'latter', would'f. :rolleyes:

Your sad existence, outside of crying about the coaches, is being board hall monitor? Ha, get a life.

Your sad existence, outside of crying about the coaches, is being board hall monitor? Ha, get a life.

When I want to beat an opponent in a debate, I want them to look like their opinion isn't based upon intelligence.

Sometimes, I get help.

When I want to beat an opponent in a debate, I want them to look like their opinion isn't based upon intelligence.

Sometimes, I get help.

Whatever works for you - I sleep pretty good at night.

where are you getting the information that garrett did not want to pick martin?

Callahan did scout Martin, without even visiting him. He went on tape alone, and when Garrett heard such he went along as well.

Perhaps - but do you sleep well?

:lol:

Gunna need a set of pliers to get that hook out.... :music_guitarred:

Callahan did scout Martin, without even visiting him. He went on tape alone, and when Garrett heard such he went along as well.

jones, garrett, and most of the coaching staff were watching martin practice in person during senior bowl week. the whole reason he wound up on DAL's radar was that he stonewalled donald and ford--2 guys that DAL really wanted.