Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

And now for something completely different

While searching for actual football relevance in the current climate of slavering, artificially manufactured 'controversy', it was refreshing to read Mike Tanier's write-up on this event:

"If you love the NFL draft and all the attendant hoopla, the draft itself is not the place you want to be. February's scouting combine is not the place you want to be. The Senior Bowl is the place you want to be...

...The draft itself is a cattle call with loud music and louder formal wear—a pep rally for a season four months away. The combine is a droning series of press conferences, with workouts off-limits to everyone but team brass and NFL Network cameras.

...The Senior Bowl is one last chance to interact with a famous football player before he disappears behind a veil of agents and team public relations directors and reappears as an unapproachable mass-market gladiator. It's a rare chance to catch the NFL with its tie loosened, to see coaches and owners acting like people. The NFL needs more Senior Bowls, more opportunities to walk among us mortals. Both sides could use more reminders that the other is also comprised of real human beings."

Switch gears for a bit and check it out *

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2336941-senior-bowl-what-it-really-is-what-it-really-means-and-why-you-should-care

* [Reminder - Tanier is the only reason to visit Bleacher Report, ever]

Totally agree the Senior Bowl (and the practices in particular) is the most important watch. I make it a habit to watch Senior Bowl practices on NFL Network every year.

• Like 1

Totally agree the Senior Bowl (and the practices in particular) is the most important watch. I make it a habit to watch Senior Bowl practices on NFL Network every year.

If for this reason alone, I wish that I subscribed to NFL Network.

Are there any particular players who have caught your eye in practices this week?

Did any of you get to watch the Senior Bowl today?

Any observations to share? :wave:

There is some RB talent coming. Abdullah outta Nebraska is the real deal. He is labeled as a fumbler and is undersized (<200), which will hurt his stock a bit....but the kid is a natural. He is a quick, determined runner with great vision and hands. He finishes runs like a champ. I like him a lot.

David Johnson outta Northern Iowa also impressed me. He has the size (225), power, and elusiveness to make it at the next level. He also catches the ball outta the backfield. We will be hearing from this kid.

Artis-Payne was was okay....steady, but didn't get the "wow factor" vibe from him.

Most surprising was Tyler Varga outta Yale (yes, Yale). He is a RB/FB hybrid that blocks like a bull.....but can run it efficiently, as well. He can smash you in the mouth or make you miss. Scored twice....he reminds me of a young Hillis.

• Like 1

There is some RB talent coming. Abdullah outta Nebraska is the real deal. He is labeled as a fumbler and is undersized (<200), which will hurt his stock a bit....but the kid is a natural. He is a quick, determined runner with great vision and hands. He finishes runs like a champ. I like him a lot.

David Johnson outta Northern Iowa also impressed me. He has the size (225), power, and elusiveness to make it at the next level. He also catches the ball outta the backfield. We will be hearing from this kid.

Artis-Payne was was okay....steady, but didn't get the "wow factor" vibe from him.

Most surprising was Tyler Varga outta Yale (yes, Yale). He is a RB/FB hybrid that blocks like a bull.....but can run it efficiently, as well. He can smash you in the mouth or make you miss. Scored twice....he reminds me of a young Hillis.

Good analysis, got the senior bowl DVR'd so will post mine when I get a chance to watch it.

Thanks!