Sign in to follow this  
Flyfreak

++ UPDATE: AP requests a trade to the Cowboys - Reinstated

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think AP will be traded to the Cowboys?

• Yes
    • No

You guy's should be praying for an AP signing, not the other way around!

You have a small window with Romo, Dez, and that good line. Before long you will need to replace your aging franchise QB and best weapon. When that happens, you will be back at square one again.

And now that you've lost your franchise RB your already taking a huge hit. If you thought Murray was a bit injury prone, wait till you see what McFadden gives you!

And if you're banking on a rookie RB, good luck with that. You could use that 1st rounder on Def instead, which still needs help.

Huge hole IMO with Murray gone. Your running game will suffer causing to much pressure on Romo, and thus causing Bryant to throw his temper melting down.

I see trouble as it stands right now.

AP would be a wonderful get for you guy's. He's so much better then Murray and he'll be out to prove something. Murray did have some injuries, but Mcfadden is a whole new level of that. AP doesn't get hurt. AP with that line and Romo/Dez. Crazy good

You would go DEEP into the postseason.

With Mcfadden, you will be lucky to even make the playoff's IMO. And Mcfadden won't last the year and way underperform.

You're line might not be as good as everybody thinks it is? Murray, when healthy, is no slouch. But, he's also no AP either.

• Like 1

You have a small window with Romo, Dez, and that good line. Before long you will need to replace your aging franchise QB and best weapon. When that happens, you will be back at square one again.

And now that you've lost your franchise RB your already taking a huge hit. If you thought Murray was a bit injury prone, wait till you see what McFadden gives you!

And if you're banking on a rookie RB, good luck with that. You could use that 1st rounder on Def instead, which still needs help.

Huge hole IMO with Murray gone. Your running game will suffer causing to much pressure on Romo, and thus causing Bryant to throw his temper melting down.

AP would be a wonderful get for you guy's. He's so much better then Murray and he'll be out to prove something. Murray did have some injuries, but Mcfadden is a whole new level of that. AP doesn't get hurt. AP with that line and Romo/Dez. Crazy good

With Mcfadden, you will be lucky to even make the playoff's IMO. And Mcfadden won't last the year and way underperform.

You're line might not be as good as everybody thinks it is? Murray, when healthy, is no slouch. But, he's also no AP either.

We had Murray for a full season last year. He didn't record a tackle, sack or interception.

We will never, ever, make the next step unless we can get the A. Rodgers of the world off the field on 3rd down... You don't need an 1800 yard rushing rb to win a SB - like I have asked many, point out the last time a SB winner also had the league's leading rusher? Was 1997... We've 3 1st Round, Pro Bowl/All Pro offensive lineman up front - all under the age of 25. They will be able to make whomever is back there a very productive back. Mortgaging draft picks and valuable cap space is just stupid for a 30 year old RB - even if his name is AP.

disagree--the restructure was almost inevitable even without considering bringing in anyone.

I disagree with this.. Romo's contract has always been the secret cookie jar - there in case we ever really needed emergency cap space. But using it wasn't necessarily inevitable. $7 to $8m can be easily freed up just by signing Dez to a long term deal - which most agree, is going to happen soon.... We were in position to clear $28m of Romo's money off the books this year and stil be more than fine. That's incredible, a freakish golden opportunity that just doesn't come along every day. After making such great strides in getting away from doing things the old way, we have reverted right back to the same old BS that has plagued this team for years - extending bad, long term contracts. Romo is going to be 35 this month - I see the term Dead Money in his future.

cruzer is right. run game and defense are symbiotic. the run game can help protect a somewhat flawed defense, but it can't compensate for a bad one in january.

what gets lost in the "it was a catch" noise is that even if DAL had scored, rodgers would have gotten the ball back with enough time on the clock to put the game away. and no amount of RB greatness would have been able to do a thing about him carving up a bad secondary thanks to an anemic pass rush.

hardy is a difference-maker in that situation. re-signing mcclain was also huge in that department. finding an impact player in the secondary would make a world of difference as well.

upgrades at those 3 positions will make more of a difference in january than keeping murray--a guy who has only played 2 full seasons since graduating high school.

don't waste your breath on these delusional cowboy fans

I disagree with this.. Romo's contract has always been the secret cookie jar - there in case we ever really needed emergency cap space. But using it wasn't necessarily inevitable. $7 to $8m can be easily freed up just by signing Dez to a long term deal - which most agree, is going to happen soon.... We were in position to clear $28m of Romo's money off the books this year and stil be more than fine. That's incredible, a freakish golden opportunity that just doesn't come along every day. After making such great strides in getting away from doing things the old way, we have reverted right back to the same old BS that has plagued this team for years - extending bad, long term contracts. Romo is going to be 35 this month - I see the term Dead Money in his future.

i can live with dead money if it was spent the right way in the meantime.

what i can't live with is failure to leverage the team strengths while they're around. you can't play this game scared. this team lives and dies with romo, so it makes sense to live it to the fullest, and surround him with the best possible talent.

worst thing here would be to build a strong team that can't get over the top while romo is here, only to have it languish after he's gone because there's no one to play QB.

don't waste your breath on these delusional cowboy fans

Time to change your bait, this minnow is dead.

i can live with dead money if it was spent the right way in the meantime.

what i can't live with is failure to leverage the team strengths while they're around. you can't play this game scared. this team lives and dies with romo, so it makes sense to live it to the fullest, and surround him with the best possible talent.

worst thing here would be to build a strong team that can't get over the top while romo is here, only to have it languish after he's gone because there's no one to play QB.

Leverage, what leverage - and for what, who? We both agree AP is a bad idea... Then why extend his contract, just for the sake of doing it? Had you told me were doing it to get N. Suh - great, that's a hickey worth the hit. But for AP? No... I also don't like the idea of Dead Money - at all. When Romo leaves or is done, this team will still have one of the best offensive lines in tact. To be handcuffed to serious money not even going to use will hinder being able to utilize that asset.

well looky here, i caught another guppy

Like the man in the park, I keep feeding the pigeon just in case one day the bird actually does do something intelligent... I'm still waiting, and running out of bird food. lol
  • Like 1

Like the man in the park, I keep feeding the pigeon just in case one day the bird actually does do something intelligent... I'm still waiting, and running out of bird food. lol

you're the one handing out free meals, makes my life much easier

you're the one handing out free meals, makes my life much easier

If you ever prove to be right about anything, I will gladly buy you a steak dinner.

If you ever prove to be right about anything, I will gladly buy you a steak dinner.

the cowboys rb situation sucks right now

Leverage, what leverage - and for what, who? We both agree AP is a bad idea... Then why extend his contract, just for the sake of doing it? Had you told me were doing it to get N. Suh - great, that's a hickey worth the hit. But for AP? No... I also don't like the idea of Dead Money - at all. When Romo leaves or is done, this team will still have one of the best offensive lines in tact. To be handcuffed to serious money not even going to use will hinder being able to utilize that asset.

In finance, leverage is any technique to multiply gains and losses.[1] Most often it involves buying more of an asset by using borrowed funds, with the belief that the income from the asset or asset price appreciation will be more than the cost of borrowing.

above from wiki.

when romo was extended, that money was locked up under the belief that he was the key to DAL's SB contention--he was the centerpiece for the team. when you sink that much of your cap into one player, you are automatically playing a risk/reward game. in those kinds of games, that kind of gamble requires a resolute commitment to maximize the value of your investment.

it's like sacrificing a piece in chess--once you do it, you are committed. if you turn around and start playing defensively instead of pressing the attack, you lose.

now, there are different ways to go about leveraging the romo investment. restructuring him to go out and get a suh or an AP would have been the wrong way. DAL's moves in FA so far look a lot more like the right way. i would have been a lot happier had the restructure not happened, but it's an eminently logical move--when you have a large investment in a depreciating asset, you need to commit to maximizing returns while his value is the highest.

overthecap has updated, and the new deal starts washing out in the 4th year. basically, DAL is absolutely married to romo for this season plus 2 more, after which the numbers start coming down. in 2018 he'd represent $9M in dead money, or substantially less than ware's cap burden last season. and that's with 4 more years of cap increases, further reducing the impact of the dead money.

we're on the same page here--i don't want AP for any more than they offered murray. but romo's restructure was economically reasonable, and probably an inevitability insofar as it allowed them to resign mcclain, will allow them comfort in signing the draft class, and will likely give them a bit of FA flexibility going forward.

So instead of fixing the Def that you say is so bad, you guy's want to draft a rookie RB? Are you thinking with a later pick?

If they go with what they have (McFadden) they are almost forced to draft one in the first round. If not, your risking your entire season IMO.

Why not spend that pick on your Def with an impact player and rebuilding the D?

Your offense is already old. Might as well continue that trend with AP and gain the best RB in the league with arguably the best line.

If you are rooting to pick up a runner later in the draft, that's probably a smart plan, but your chances are that much weaker they actually turn out.
AND they still won't be a Murray that brings NFL experience and a top RB when healthy.

I would bet McFadden starts over any rookie you draft. Until he goes down that is. You might be thinking this is a good play (and maybe it is) but to me your team just took a huge downgrade. And you don't want that pressure added to Romo! You've seen what he does without a running game and added pressure trying to pass all day. He chokes.

I'll also argue greatly that a GREAT running game does in fact keep the ball out of the hands of the other team. So it does help your Def a great deal. That is why your Def looked as good as it did for most of last year. They might be worse without the ball control running game Murray brought.

AP would bring that running game to a whole new level above what even Murray did, while also maintaining full health in a long season.

If you keep scoring and taking long drives away from the other team - Then the Rodgers of the world will be far less effective.

I also disagree any RB you plug in will have great success just because of your line. It's a two way street. Your line looked good because of Murray as well. Also your passing game was successful, which Murray was also a big part of.

Maybe in the F.F. world any RB in the Dallas system might have success and in a PPR scoring. But, that doesn't mean your team will.

There's a reason we gave Lynch his contract even though he's considered an aging back. We would not be the same with the scrubs behind him. And those guy's are even far better then 'ouch' McFadden that is looking like your starter right now.

Anyway, good luck!

Personally, I'm sure not scared of Dallas with McFadden/rookie runner. But you throw AP on that team then I'm very fing nervous to play you.

• Like 1

So instead of fixing the Def that you say is so bad, you guy's want to draft a rookie RB? Are you thinking with a later pick?

If they go with what they have (McFadden) they are almost forced to draft one in the first round. If not, your risking your entire season IMO.

Why not spend that pick on your Def with an impact player and rebuilding the D?

Your offense is already old. Might as well continue that trend with AP and gain the best RB in the league with arguably the best line.

If you are rooting to pick up a runner later in the draft, that's probably a smart plan, but your chances are that much weaker they actually turn out.

AND they still won't be a Murray that brings NFL experience and a top RB when healthy.

I would bet McFadden starts over any rookie you draft. Until he goes down that is. You might be thinking this is a good play (and maybe it is) but to me your team just took a huge downgrade. And you don't want that pressure added to Romo! You've seen what he does without a running game and added pressure trying to pass all day. He chokes.

I'll also argue greatly that a GREAT running game does in fact keep the ball out of the hands of the other team. So it does help your Def a great deal. That is why your Def looked as good as it did for most of last year. They might be worse without the ball control running game Murray brought.

AP would bring that running game to a whole new level above what even Murray did, while also maintaining full health in a long season.

If you keep scoring and taking long drives away from the other team - Then the Rodgers of the world will be far less effective.

I also disagree any RB you plug in will have great success just because of your line. It's a two way street. Your line looked good because of Murray as well. Also your passing game was successful, which Murray was also a big part of.

Maybe in the F.F. world any RB in the Dallas system might have success and in a PPR scoring. But, that doesn't mean your team will.

There's a reason we gave Lynch his contract even though he's considered an aging back. We would not be the same with the scrubs behind him. And those guy's are even far better then 'ouch' McFadden that is looking like your starter right now.

Anyway, good luck!

Personally, I'm sure not scared of Dallas with McFadden/rookie runner. But you throw AP on that team then I'm very fing nervous to play you.

when was the last time ap sacked the qb or hung a pick six on the opposition

hahahahahahaaaaaa

What's that got to do with anything?

When is the last time a QB threw for a TD when he's sitting on the bench?

Your need for shouting DEF is all the more reason to draft DEF with your first round draft pick!

I will bet you that doesn't happen if your sitting with only McFadden as your starter. Jerry will try and go flashy with a RB pick almost guaranteed.

Your need for shouting DEF is all the more reason to draft DEF with your first round draft pick!

I will bet you that doesn't happen if your sitting with only McFadden as your starter. Jerry will try and go flashy with a RB pick almost guaranteed.

cruzer will tell you all about it

btw, i agree with you about the cowboys needing a good rb like ap

let's think this through...for the umpteenth time.

what is the easiest position for a rookie to play well in the NFL? RB

does it make sense to triple the salary of an aging, injury-prone RB who just had 500 touches, when you could draft a new one for less than half the price? no, it doesn't.

so which of the following 1st round pick situations sounds most conducive to team success...

1. a rookie RB, running behind 3 all-pros, when the defense has to worry about an all-pro QB, an all-pro WR, and a future HOF TE?

2. a rookie CB, matched up against jordy nelson, with rodgers having all day to throw the football due to lack of pass rush?

3. a rookie DT drafted outside the top-10, which means that he is incredibly unlikely to make a positive impact, especially since the DL rotation means that he's only playing half of the defensive snaps?

once again--DAL basically traded a good RB for a top DE. i wish murray was still around, but DE is a much more important position, and much harder to replace in the draft.

Agreed. They may or may not reap the benefits of it this year, but this is a great move long term & they'll be a better team going forward because of it.

No question DE is a much more important position .

let's think this through...for the umpteenth time.

what is the easiest position for a rookie to play well in the NFL? RB

does it make sense to triple the salary of an aging, injury-prone RB who just had 500 touches, when you could draft a new one for less than half the price? no, it doesn't.

so which of the following 1st round pick situations sounds most conducive to team success...

1. a rookie RB, running behind 3 all-pros, when the defense has to worry about an all-pro QB, an all-pro WR, and a future HOF TE?

2. a rookie CB, matched up against jordy nelson, with rodgers having all day to throw the football due to lack of pass rush?

3. a rookie DT drafted outside the top-10, which means that he is incredibly unlikely to make a positive impact, especially since the DL rotation means that he's only playing half of the defensive snaps?

once again--DAL basically traded a good RB for a top DE. i wish murray was still around, but DE is a much more important position, and much harder to replace in the draft.

get off of your high horse, they could have had both and you know it

In finance, leverage is any technique to multiply gains and losses.%5B1%5D Most often it involves buying more of an asset by using borrowed funds, with the belief that the income from the asset or asset price appreciation will be more than the cost of borrowing.

above from wiki.

when romo was extended, that money was locked up under the belief that he was the key to DAL's SB contention--he was the centerpiece for the team. when you sink that much of your cap into one player, you are automatically playing a risk/reward game. in those kinds of games, that kind of gamble requires a resolute commitment to maximize the value of your investment.

it's like sacrificing a piece in chess--once you do it, you are committed. if you turn around and start playing defensively instead of pressing the attack, you lose.

now, there are different ways to go about leveraging the romo investment. restructuring him to go out and get a suh or an AP would have been the wrong way. DAL's moves in FA so far look a lot more like the right way. i would have been a lot happier had the restructure not happened, but it's an eminently logical move--when you have a large investment in a depreciating asset, you need to commit to maximizing returns while his value is the highest.

overthecap has updated, and the new deal starts washing out in the 4th year. basically, DAL is absolutely married to romo for this season plus 2 more, after which the numbers start coming down. in 2018 he'd represent $9M in dead money, or substantially less than ware's cap burden last season. and that's with 4 more years of cap increases, further reducing the impact of the dead money.

we're on the same page here--i don't want AP for any more than they offered murray. but romo's restructure was economically reasonable, and probably an inevitability insofar as it allowed them to resign mcclain, will allow them comfort in signing the draft class, and will likely give them a bit of FA flexibility going forward.

I understand the principles of leverage - but I'm still not happy about it.... This policy of extending long term contracts, to older players, has been the bane of this franchise over the years. Regardless of leverage, need, anything - Romo is still guaranteed $55m. Any opportunity to pay off that credit card is a blessing - and like I said, Dead Money is a term will hear sometime in the next couple of years I fear. I can't tell you how pissed I get when I hear that phrase, with any player really... I would have been much more happy with this move had we restructured his contract weeks ago and gone out and signed V. Wilfork. Can you imagine the transformation this defense could of taken by adding Wilfork, Hardy, S. Lee (returning), McClain (resign) and adding a corner and edge rusher/safety in the draft?

Why, bcoz 1st round RBs are such proven, can't miss, must have picks? Hardly... Taking a look at just the past 5 years:

* 2010: 1st Round - C.J. Spiller

* 2011: 1st - Mark Ingram.. Some guy named Demarco Murray was taken in the 3rd round.

* 2012: 1st - Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson - which one of these turds is a must have 1st Rounder?

* 2013: No 1st, but a guy named Le'Veon Bell was taken in the 2nd and Eddie Lacy was taken in the 4th.

* 2014: No 1st, Jeremy HIll taken in the 2nd.

The 2015 is deep at RB. There are 4 or 5 that could step in and start immediately, and you don't have to jump at one in the 1st to get them.

Your offense is already old.

Old, old compared to what?

Off. Line: T. Smith - 24, R. Leary - 25, T. Fredrick - 24, Z. Martin - 24, D. Free - 31... Doug Free is the dinosaur of the front 5 at 31 years of age - the rest, not one over 25.

RB: D. McFadden - 27, J. Randle - 23, L. Dunbar - 25, R. Williams - 24. And of course, looking to add a rookie in the draft.

WR/TE: D. Bryant - 26, T. Williams - 25, C. Beasly - 25, J. Witten - 32, G. Escobar - 24, J. Hanna - 25... Witten is the dinosaur at 32, next oldest is 26.

QB: Romo - 34... No argument here - he doesn't have much time left. But he's also still playing at a high level.

This offense is not just young, it's borderline really young.

Myself, many Cowboys fans and the Jones's were not willing to pay $8m a year and $20 something mil guaranteed to find out if he will stay healthy.

Remind me again, who was NE's $8m a year RB?

The Lynch comparison doesn't hold water. Re: you have a defense, one of, if not the, best in the league. And you don't have a throwing Qb - you need a Lynch more than a team built like Dallas.

the cowboys rb situation sucks right now

It's still under construction - not anywhere near what it will be... In case you've not been told yet, it's the offseason still.

It's still under construction - not anywhere near what it will be... In case you've not been told yet, it's the offseason still.

filet mignon medium rare will do

filet mignon medium rare will do

I've got another bet with somebody that Bigfoot will actually be found before you hit on something.

Why, bcoz 1st round RBs are such proven, can't miss, must have picks? Hardly... Taking a look at just the past 5 years:

* 2010: 1st Round - C.J. Spiller

* 2011: 1st - Mark Ingram.. Some guy named Demarco Murray was taken in the 3rd round.

* 2012: 1st - Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson - which one of these turds is a must have 1st Rounder?

* 2013: No 1st, but a guy named Le'Veon Bell was taken in the 2nd and Eddie Lacy was taken in the 4th.

* 2014: No 1st, Jeremy HIll taken in the 2nd.

The 2015 is deep at RB. There are 4 or 5 that could step in and start immediately, and you don't have to jump at one in the 1st to get them.

Old, old compared to what?

Off. Line: T. Smith - 24, R. Leary - 25, T. Fredrick - 24, Z. Martin - 24, D. Free - 31... Doug Free is the dinosaur of the front 5 at 31 years of age - the rest, not one over 25.

RB: D. McFadden - 27, J. Randle - 23, L. Dunbar - 25, R. Williams - 24. And of course, looking to add a rookie in the draft.

WR/TE: D. Bryant - 26, T. Williams - 25, C. Beasly - 25, J. Witten - 32, G. Escobar - 24, J. Hanna - 25... Witten is the dinosaur at 32, next oldest is 26.

QB: Romo - 34... No argument here - he doesn't have much time left. But he's also still playing at a high level.

This offense is not just young, it's borderline really young.

Myself, many Cowboys fans and the Jones's were not willing to pay $8m a year and $20 something mil guaranteed to find out if he will stay healthy.

Remind me again, who was NE's $8m a year RB?

The Lynch comparison doesn't hold water. Re: you have a defense, one of, if not the, best in the league. And you don't have a throwing Qb - you need a Lynch more than a team built like Dallas.

I won't keep debating after this last post. I'm glad you guy's are happy with what they are doing. GL

Just my counters to what you said:

1. My point exactly on rookie RB's. If first round picks rarely turn out like you point out, I'm pretty sure I could put some numbers together on all the busts on RB's after the first round. I'm sure much worse! There is good reason to believe that your not getting something even comparable to Murray let alone better in the draft no matter what pick you use. And you definatley would not be getting a AP quality player.

Also, my original point was missed in that Jerry Jones will want to go flashy I bet. He'll probably go RB in the first when you should be improving your Def with high picks and YOUTH. The reason is because McFadden is not good enough to be your main option. Everybody knows that. Mcfadden move was for Vet leadership and wishfull thinking.

I will bet that if your situation stays like it is, then RB will be your first round pick. Mistake when building a franchise & Def.

Not to mention leaving behind what you already had established in the first place, while restructuring Romo to make the money anyway.

2. When I said your offense was old, I was pointing to your franchise QB, TE, and Bryant who is no spring chicken anymore. My point - You should be making a run NOW otherwise you will miss the boat and also have to rebuild your offense soon. Romo might be done as it is. AP could fit right into that offense, while you rebuild the Def. through the draft.

Adding AP or even keeping Murray would have allowed you to succeed this coming year and go deeper into the playoff's. Only some bad luck/call stopped you this year, and another year to improve on that would have helped.

Now - You got worse at a major important position/player and as I see it you will be far worse with Romo reaching. Then you will be asking for his head once he sucks again.

3. Murray had some injury concerns so signing him was 50-50 good-bad. But, my point was about AP who you can probably get cheaper then you think.That would be an upgrade even over Murray and solidify your offense for a championship run.

Blount was no joke at RB and he's powerful. Vereen is better then McFadden, but you also don't have a Tom Brady and Bill B. That makes everything you say a mute point.

We won with a great stud runner. S.F. has always had a great back. Balt won with a great running game and one of the best vet backs in the league. When was the last time a rookie runner was in the SB? Takes a good 3-4 years, and where Murray was actually hitting his prime. AP would be real hungry for that!

Romo needs a great running game and help to succeed! He's no Brady!

4. I'll agree about Seahawks Def. That's a different situation than Dallas. But, without Lynch and that running game we would be in trouble and not have nearly the same success. You subtract him, and our Def is on the field more, more pressure on Wilson and WR's, and our overall team takes a hit. A rookie runner no matter the pick would not replace that. Murray will have that kind of impact I believe as he a top tier RB "when healthy"

But again, I'm talking about AP upgrade here who is even better then Lynch and the best this league has seen since LT. And who knows how much better he could be away from Minn and with some talent around him.

Anyway, just my .02 from the outside.

I won't keep debating after this last post. I'm glad you guy's are happy with what they are doing. GL

Just my counters to what you said:

1. My point exactly on rookie RB's. If first round picks rarely turn out like you point out, I'm pretty sure I could put some numbers together on all the busts on RB's after the first round. I'm sure much worse! There is good reason to believe that your not getting something even comparable to Murray let alone better in the draft no matter what pick you use. And you definatley would not be getting a AP quality player.

Also, my original point was missed in that Jerry Jones will want to go flashy I bet. He'll probably go RB in the first when you should be improving your Def with high picks and YOUTH. The reason is because McFadden is not good enough to be your main option. Everybody knows that. Mcfadden move was for Vet leadership and wishfull thinking.

I will bet that if your situation stays like it is, then RB will be your first round pick. Mistake when building a franchise & Def.

Not to mention leaving behind what you already had established in the first place, while restructuring Romo to make the money anyway.

2. When I said your offense was old, I was pointing to your franchise QB, TE, and Bryant who is no spring chicken anymore. My point - You should be making a run NOW otherwise you will miss the boat and also have to rebuild your offense soon. Romo might be done as it is. AP could fit right into that offense, while you rebuild the Def. through the draft.

Adding AP or even keeping Murray would have allowed you to succeed this coming year and go deeper into the playoff's. Only some bad luck/call stopped you this year, and another year to improve on that would have helped.

Now - You got worse at a major important position/player and as I see it you will be far worse with Romo reaching. Then you will be asking for his head once he sucks again.

3. Murray had some injury concerns so signing him was 50-50 good-bad. But, my point was about AP who you can probably get cheaper then you think.That would be an upgrade even over Murray and solidify your offense for a championship run.

Blount was no joke at RB and he's powerful. Vereen is better then McFadden, but you also don't have a Tom Brady and Bill B. That makes everything you say a mute point.

We won with a great stud runner. S.F. has always had a great back. Balt won with a great running game and one of the best vet backs in the league. When was the last time a rookie runner was in the SB? Takes a good 3-4 years, and where Murray was actually hitting his prime. AP would be real hungry for that!

Romo needs a great running game and help to succeed! He's no Brady!

4. I'll agree about Seahawks Def. That's a different situation than Dallas. But, without Lynch and that running game we would be in trouble and not have nearly the same success. You subtract him, and our Def is on the field more, more pressure on Wilson and WR's, and our overall team takes a hit. A rookie runner no matter the pick would not replace that. Murray will have that kind of impact I believe as he a top tier RB "when healthy"

But again, I'm talking about AP upgrade here who is even better then Lynch and the best this league has seen since LT. And who knows how much better he could be away from Minn and with some talent around him.

Anyway, just my .02 from the outside.

Some good points.... But putting my eggs in the basket that says today's game is different than before. I'm banking, as I always have believed, that football is played from the inside out. We have the best inside front in football, and not a one of them over the age of 25 - I'm willing to bank on that with the surrounding pieces falling into place from there... It's been since 1997 since the leading rusher also won a Lombardi - I'm more interested in wins than stats... And as a last saving grace, Jerry is no longer running the draft. Stephen and Will McClay are - for all those that don't believe it, look at our last 3 1st round picks - and the fact we didn't take Johnny Football last year.

From what I heard, Jerry almost did have Dallas taking Johnny football though. They've done it right the last few years, but every year you can tell it's been a battle to go flashy instead. This year, I bet they go back to flashy and get the RB they lost.

They will be hoping he's better then Murray, which in reality probably won't be and could have been better used on the Def.

I assume they all come together in the war room. Jerry just hans't got his way latley IMO. He's still a voice in there. This year, it will probably come out harder with the need of a new RB.

I agree to your points about building the lines from the inside out. I think that's the right move too. Like I said, I think you've done it right lately in the draft and it paid off last year. But, why not use that talent you've drafted to pound the rock hard with the best of backs - Thus it makes so much sense to bring in AP who's better then Murray and stays healthy. Romo only has a short window left.

Plus, you can focus your draft on the next biggest part after your line. "Your Def."

Get that corner/safety or whatever that can be plugged right into your Def. to help it.

Also: Your theory is great and understanable for "rebuilding a franchise up", but finding a franchise QB is the hardest part of everything!

It took us forever to finally find Wilson after so many years of sucking at QB, and like alot of teams that arn't good deal with. But, Romo has a short window left. Replacing him could be a nightmare. So why not push for that SB with AP and great line you've built, while drafting Def for the future and short term improvement?
That would be my theory for Dallas. For Jax - Sure who cares about RB. But, Dallas showed last year they can make a run.

Losing Murray damages that big time.

-Your also taking 1 stat line and making your case for a need to not worry about RB.

Why don't you look at all the playoff teams for the last 5-10 years, and look at there RB and see what kind of quality RB the teams had?
My assumption: Most had really good backs. (And very few were rookies) - And the teams that didn't probably had a Brady or Manning caliber QB, unlike Romo.

The goal is to be competative every year, make playoffs every year, and have a winning attutude where you honestly think your team can beat anybody everytime like NE does. Instill confidence.

Rookie runner minus Murray = Not so much.

Add AP over 13 game Murray = Oh hell ya

Ok, now I'm done for real. hahaha :)

Later Bro

i think this is gonna be one of those drafts where the successful ones will be drafted in rounds 3-5

i think most of the early round rb's will become busts and i hope 2 of them are drafted by the cowboys

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says not to "rule out" Adrian Peterson ending up in Dallas.

"It's still doable," were Rapsheet's words on NFL Total Access." It's still hard to see the way forward for Peterson-to-Big D. The Vikings have been adamant they're keeping their franchise runner, while Dallas is light on cap space. It would obviously be far from surprising if the move eventually happened, but it's not the most likely outcome.
Related: Cowboys

hey cruzer, get ready to fire up the grill again

so at this point, to me - I see the following things:

Romo reveals that he would have taken a pay cut to keep demarco.

They lowballed demarco. And gave him up to a division rival cause they wouldn't match 'guaranteed money'.

but after that they sign McFadden and after that move Romo's money around. Their actions speak louder than their words. they did not believe in Demarco Murray.

Now we'll see if that cap room cleared by the Romo deal will enable Dallas to actually make a deal w MIN.

If they do I think it's worth it to go 'all in' for a crown. From a not Dallas fan that is.

• Like 1

agree with you re: murray--they felt he'd be worth $6M/yr and not a penny more.

but at this moment, DAL has ~$10M in cap space. they'll need half of that to sign the draft class. AP isn't going to play for $5M.

so at this point, to me - I see the following things:

Romo reveals that he would have taken a pay cut to keep demarco.

They lowballed demarco. And gave him up to a division rival cause they wouldn't match 'guaranteed money'.

but after that they sign McFadden and after that move Romo's money around. Their actions speak louder than their words. they did not believe in Demarco Murray.

Now we'll see if that cap room cleared by the Romo deal will enable Dallas to actually make a deal w MIN.

If they do I think it's worth it to go 'all in' for a crown. From a not Dallas fan that is.

this

something cruzer can't seem to wrap his head around, this team has a short leash to challenge for the super bowl (1-2 yrs) and it's not time to rebuild the rb position

Flyfreak, on 03 Apr 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

this

something cruzer can't seem to wrap his head around, this team has a short leash to challenge for the super bowl (1-2 yrs) and it's not time to rebuild the rb position

Of the 789 things you can't seem to wrap your head around, this is one them too.... This is not the 60's, or 70's - in today's game the running back is compliment piece to the puzzle, not the key missing link. Nobody is talking "rebuilding" the rb position, that's just moronic. We have pieces in place to make the position productive and even explosive at times - still a valuable asset. Hell, Joseph Randle averaged 7 ypc behind this line - I'm sure it will be fine.

Which 2 of the 3 would you rather have - bcoz you can't have it all: Great Qb, great offensive line, great Rb?

I will take the Qb and line all day long - and twice on Sundays.

With the Oline the Cowboys have I think they made the right move in letting Murray leave . They can pick up another RB in this QB driven league . Look at what the Ravens did with Forsett , he was out of football now the star RB . With that Oline they will be fine

With the Oline the Cowboys have I think they made the right move in letting Murray leave . They can pick up another RB in this QB driven league . Look at what the Ravens did with Forsett , he was out of football now the star RB . With that Oline they will be fine

111.5 million people saw NE just win a SB with Shane Vareen and LeGarrette Blount at running back.

You can win titles with role players at Rb - you can not not win a SB with a sorry ass defense.

I recall the Colts won the Super Bowl with a sorry defense so I have seen it done . But it's not the norm . I said it last month someone will over pay for Murray and the Eagles did .

I recall the Colts won the Super Bowl with a sorry defense so I have seen it done . But it's not the norm . I said it last month someone will over pay for Murray and the Eagles did .

That was definitely an exception to the rule case there... But, the Colts also had a Peyton Manning in his prime. Romo is good, but he's not Manning.