Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Ethics decision spinoff. Tell your story here.

Pen's thread reminded me of an ethics decision I encountered this week.

Tell us about a recent ethics decision you had to make and how it turned out.

Here's mine:

I'm the chair of the trustees at my church.

We have a parsonage that needs remodeling and my company was originally asked to be one of the vendors for the project.

I submitted a bid at cost and it was approved (I abstained from that voting).

Now the scope of the project is doubling and the church is taking on a loan to finance it. As chair, it's my responsibility to sign the note, but I want to avoid any appearance of impropriety on my part.

I've suggested that my company either be removed as a vendor or that the trustees convene without me and appoint a temporary chair to serve over this matter.

The last thing I need is for someone in the community to think I'm using church funds for any sort of personal gain.

I think a more appropriate ethical quandary for you would be; I'm a trustee at my church and I post at the Geek Club.

one job is not worth the potential downside... pass

He's doing it at cost though and saving the church lots of money.

I think it's great that your offering to do that and would just find a way to step aside from signing the note, not that it would be improper, but to ease your mind. It shouldn't be too hard for them to have another sign. Couldn't another board member or the pastor?

I think a more appropriate ethical quandary for you would be; I'm a trustee at my church and I post at the Geek Club.

There's nothing in the bible that says I'm not allowed to have a sense of humor.

I think it's great that your offering to do that and would just find a way to step aside from signing the note, not that it would be improper, but to ease your mind. It shouldn't be too hard for them to have another sign. Couldn't another board member or the pastor?

Yes. I think there's something in the bi-laws that allow the trustees to create a "chair pro tempore" or something.

But "cost" also includes the kickbacks he gets from his suppliers.

There's nothing in the bible that says I'm not allowed to have a sense of humor.

Then why don't you have one ?

Badda Bing. :softball:

• Like 1

I know what you mean.

People keep ordering the carnitas and I'm torn.

I mean, it's my JOB, and damn sure there's been enough stories about Chipotle by now, but still....

Honestly you should have stepped down just to bid. Now you won and the scope has doubled with you in charge. Seems fishy.

Honestly you should have stepped down just to bid. Now you won and the scope has doubled with you in charge. Seems fishy.

The project hasn't yet started and no money has changed hands. I've done other smaller projects for the church at cost before I was elected chair of the trustees, so nobody thought about getting a competing bid for my portion. I've always done things at cost, providing actual vendor receipts along with my invoices.

I think we just got ahead of ourselves a little bit on this one since everyone knows they won't find a better price than my cost. Now they want to expand the project and my services are no longer just a small portion of the project.

There's plenty of time to reel it back in, and several different ways to do it.

My company can be removed as a vendor if the other 10 trustees feel that's the right thing to do. It will cost us more, but it may still be the best thing to do.

The secretary has already scheduled a meeting for them to vote on it.

But "cost" also includes the kickbacks he gets from his suppliers.

There's actually a spiff from the carpet supplier that's been calculated into the cost I gave them, saving them another $1.00/sq yd.

I have to ask my accountant how to figure that one out since the spiff comes to me on a refillable visa card that's vendor provided.

The project hasn't yet started and no money has changed hands. I've done other smaller projects for the church at cost before I was elected chair of the trustees, so nobody thought about getting a competing bid for my portion. I've always done things at cost, providing actual vendor receipts along with my invoices.

If we are talking true ethical dilemmas, you have created the specter of impropriety. However, you have gone this far, you should stay the course and do the job. Doesn't sound like a big deal.

If we are talking true ethical dilemmas, you have created the specter of impropriety. However, you have gone this far, you should stay the course and do the job. Doesn't sound like a big deal.

You're right. I've participated in creating it, without really thinking it through. Then, when I was told I would need to sign for the loan on behalf of the church, a light went on. And here we are.