Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Are NY Delis overrated?

Or are they the real deal? Ive been to some good delis but I still hear you cant top the New York City delis

Quick, delete this thread before shotsup sees it. Next he will lecture about Chinese food in NYC, etc.

Not sure if this was originally in NY, but it claims to be.

In any event, this place is the bomb. It's my favorite NY style pizza in the Metroplex - but all their food is great. :thumbsup:

http://www.hysensnizzapizza.com/

Quick, delete this thread before shotsup sees it. Next he will lecture about Chinese food in NYC, etc.

Dont forget HT lol

But seriously Im curious to know from people whove been to them. Last time I was in NYC I was young and dont remember hardly anything (doubt we went to a deli as well)

NY delis are excellent...and there are different types: italian, jewish, poish, russian, german

When we talk about food cities, I am partial to SF over NY, but NY does corned beef, pastrami, etc better. SF and NY are a photo finish with italian delis.

Jewish delis are where it's at. Can't beat the corned beef...anywhere..Or the Jewish rye. I imagine NY deli's are pretty much this.

• Like 1

i didn't even know Delis in NY were something to be overrated. Im not a big city person though, I don't live far outside of it and going in to visit every once in a while is cool but I think i'd off myself if I had to live in the city or work in the city with the commute for that matter.

I've been to a few NYC delis and yes, they were always very good in my experience..... but i've never even had or heard a debate about NYC delis versus elsewhere. Not like pizza debates.

Ny delis and specifically Jewish delis are great.

• Like 1

:lol:

I love a good Reuben, but I can't stand Rye bread.. order mine with something else.

I've been to a few NYC delis and yes, they were always very good in my experience..... but i've never even had or heard a debate about NYC delis versus elsewhere. Not like pizza debates.

i would agree with this. not a big food debate.

Does the rest of the country have deli's outside of their supermarket ???

Yes

Yes

I don't mean California or other big Metro areas.

Yes

There are not many deli's in the houston area. However in the yuppier parts of Montana and Wyoming you can find them in some small towns, mostly the towns that are closer to the national parks.

Deli's are not a thing in most places that I have lived.

EVERYTHING in NY is overrated.

There are not many deli's in the houston area. However in the yuppier parts of Montana and Wyoming you can find them in some small towns, mostly the towns that are closer to the national parks.

That's what I was always led to believe.

That's what I was always led to believe.

And that assumes that you count local sandwich shops like "Pickle Barrel"(Not The Pickle Barrel as this is different) as a deli. Which to be honest I would rather go back and eat at Pickle Barrel then any NYC deli. Havent had it in years.

Faiccos Italian deli on Bleecker St. real deal. Stop there every time I'm in the city.

Carnegie was tops before it closed

Stage and Katzs are also great.

Not over rated at all. Hard to find pastrami like that in other parts of the country.

Mannys in Chicago is right there with them

I never went to a deli in SF, so I cant compare

Not just delis, but sandwich shops in general are huge on the EC, and not so big elsewhere. People around the country probably think that Subway is good. :dunno:

Faiccos Italian deli on Bleecker St. real deal. Stop there every time I'm in the city.

Me too. I haven't been in the city in a year and a half, but I love getting a sub and going over to Washington Sq Park to watch the people.

Not just delis, but sandwich shops in general are huge on the EC, and not so big elsewhere. People around the country probably think that Subway is good. :dunno:

Houston (and Texas in general) has to have the crappiest sandwich shops of anywhere in the country.

I never went to a deli in SF, so I cant compare

we have a strong italian community. while there are a few jewish delis that are ok to cure the fix, they are not as good as in NY

• Like 1

Good point.

NY and Chicago both have some great sandwich places. Subway is not just a step down. Its a cliff dive down

philly has best food in the country.

:lol:

My Italian in laws used to go get all their sausages and cheeses on Arthur Ave in the Bronx.

Not sure which stores.

Yep. Which is what led me to starting this thread. Plus, I always hear of NY delis and how they have some of the best sandwiches you can get

If you like pastrami and Jewish deli style sandwiches they are most likely the place to beat. I’m a fan and a sandwich fanatic in general, California has tons of sandwich places and I’ve been to a few NY style delis.

delis sell both sandwiches and meats, cheeses, sides, etc. while sandwich shops can sell a wide range of sandwiches, they usually do not sell much more beyond chips and drinks

delis sell both sandwiches and meats/cheeses, etc. while sandwich shop can sell a wide range of sandwiches, but usually not much more beyond chips and drinks

I also think a proper deli should prepare it's own meat, whereas the average sandwich shop buys it.

Houston (and Texas in general) has to have the crappiest sandwich shops of anywhere in the country.

:thumbsup:

I also think a proper deli should prepare it's own meat, whereas the average sandwich shop buys it.

yep... a high percentage should. i have a good italian deli near me (45 m north of SF) that brings in boars head, but also processes some of their own. so they are good despite bringing in mass produced product.

katz pastrami...

I've been meaning to try the pastrami brisket receipe for my big green egg... Takes a ton of prep and time to do the brining.