Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Castillo Shooting Video Released to Public

Weren't they only seeking manslaughter too?

Either way, the cop should never be allowed on the streets again

"REACH FOR YOUR LICENSE AND REGISTRATION!" :mad:

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM (7, yes 7 times - point blank)

"I FEARED FOR MY LIFE! HE WAS REACHING FOR SOMETHING!" :blink:

:doh:

Not relevant to who's right or wrong but how in the world can the girlfriend be so calm just talking on her phone the whole time. So weird.

"REACH FOR YOUR LICENSE AND REGISTRATION!" :mad:

BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM (7, yes 7 times - point blank)

"I FEARED FOR MY LIFE! HE WAS REACHING FOR SOMETHING!" :blink:

:doh:

Ummm that's not what happened. I was agreeing with you until you gave us incorrect, misleading cliff notes version. :thumbsdown:

Dude the adrenaline and fear from that guy is palpable. Dude is just pumping it through his veins as soon as he hears the guy has a gun. Sounds like the black guy was calmly reaching for his wallet. He still should have known better and acted more slowly and spoke out loud every move. "Can I reach for my wallet slowly?" Type of diction.

Just another shooting because of licensed carry.

Not relevant to who's right or wrong but how in the world can the girlfriend be so calm just talking on her phone the whole time. So weird.

Prob not her first BF to die from gunfire. 7 rounds unloaded in her face is like us reacting to sparklers on July 4th, no big deal.

I give the police a lot of latitude in every case. Even in this one I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Thatttttttttt being said. This is a bad shoot. No way around it. The dude clearly said he has a weapon. Who the fock warns you they have a gun before they pull it? Also the fact they fired him after he was found not guilty shows me they know he should not be a cop. The sad thing is they are going to pass this dude off to Mayberry rfd

I side with the police in most of these trials. Whether it's because I think their a toons justified or whether I think the DA is overreaching.

However, I don't know how he was acquitted here. The video looks pretty bad. And I agree with whoever said that the girlfriend seems weird. Way too calm.

Cop should have taken command of the situation once the guy identified that he had a gun. He asked for the guys license. He never withdrew that command. He never asked where the gun was

Definitely manslaughter. And obviously the guy can never be a cop again.

I've said this before - and it's still valid;

What pisses me off (on top of 9 other things) is that in today's world, we beat the living shiit outta everybody until they apologize - for the dumbest foccking shiit. We lambast teenie bopper pop stars for (real examples) licking a donut, peeing in a mop bucket, etc. - until they do the walk of shame and express their deep, abiding and sincere shame, regret and remorse and vow to be a better person yadda yadda.

But focking nancy boy idiots like this? NEVER stand up, own up to their fock ups. - Which obviously have MUCH more severe consequences. They hide behind their PBA, their Union Rep, their lawyers, etc. I can understand pre-trial for obvious reasons, but - using the standard that society has clearly laid bare, trot these fockers out in front of a hostile press and make them own up to their shiit - instead of slinking off to their next gig.

I'm not generally a fan, but I'll give credit when due.

This is probably the best thing I've seen from Trevor Noah

And, given that he grew up in Apartheid makes his honest

reaction all that more telling and powerful.

7 rounds unloaded in her face is like us reacting to sparklers on July 4th, no big deal.

Wait.................you talking bullets or baby daddy batter?

Just saw a blurb on googlenews- apparently, two jurors just flat-out refused to convict a cop - no matter what.

We have to do something about this automatic get out of jail free card that is "I feared for my life".

We already see juries confuse one in a billion - possible doubt with reasonable doubt. This ain't much different.

The instruction has to be "Was there a REASONABLE fear? Was there a REASONABLE response?"

I swear to god, these guys could shoot a mailbox and claimed they 'feared for their life'.

• Like 1

Just saw a blurb on googlenews- apparently, two jurors just flat-out refused to convict a cop - no matter what.

We have to do something about this automatic get out of jail free card that is "I feared for my life".
We already see juries confuse one in a billion - possible doubt with reasonable doubt. This ain't much different.

The instruction has to be "Was there a REASONABLE fear? Was there a REASONABLE response?"
I swear to god, these guys could shoot a mailbox and claimed they 'feared for their life'.

Sounds like a mirror of the Cosby & OJ juries only not so diverse.

Cop definitely overreacted. Manslaughter yes but murder no.

Normally I disagree with the BLM protesters, occasionally I think they're overreacting but every once in a long while, such as in regards to Philando Castile, I'm on the same page.

Give me an upstanding, law-abiding black man (or anyone) clearly doing nothing wrong, and see if I don't go to bat for them. What happened here is tragic.

They had a pretty solid ex Fed Cop on TV tonight going through the video.

He was up against an ex cop who was clearly the "cops can do know wrong" side of the debate.

First guys findings seemed reasonable:

1) Cop was too far forward. They are trained to be behind the post dividing front and back for a reason. This way, if perp tries to do anything, he'd have to spin around in his seat.

2) As soon as guy said he had a weapon, cops are trained to 'freeze' the situation; Tell the guy to put his hands on the wheel and don't move. De-escalate and move from there accordingly.

Other Cop: (and 'good' cop's response)

1) 'Perp' was high on THC. (Uh, you learned that days AFTER the fact. Irrelevant)

2) Cop didn't know if the 'perp' had a license for the gun or not. (and? is it somehow less lethal if its more legal?)

3) Cop didn't know what he was reaching for. (You told him what to reach for. But that's why you 'freeze' the situation - hands on the wheel.)

4) Cop actually pulled him over as a robbery suspect. (doesn't change your procedure one bit)

Honestly, I think it's pretty clear from bits like this that networks sometimes bring guys in just to be devil's advocate.

This guy should do time. I have Zero police training and even I can see several ways he focked up.

And seven shots? From point blank? Seriously?

I'm amazed the other cop kept his cool. I'd have been like "what the Fock did you do man!"

• Like 1

The more I watch the videos from the two different perspectives, the harder it is for me two want to see this cop do major jail time. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that he screwed up big-time. And that screw up cost a man his life. But immediately after he killed the guy, he is already regretting it and making excuses. And screaming 'I told you not to move'. He knew immediately that he overreacted and killed an innocent man. And even on the police radio, his voice was quivering. I don't believe he was a malicious racist killer. I think he was a scared, in over his head person who didn't have the right personality for that job. Maybe personality isn't the right word. But as soon as the guy said he had a gun, he was scared and anticipating the worst. Instead of controlling the situation by making him Place His Hands on the Wheel, he just waited for the guy to do something that could possibly be threatening. And was ready to shoot. I don't know what the answer is. There are going to be a lot of people who want this guy doing jail time because he killed an innocent man. Unlike most of us, this guy's mistakes at work don't just cost him a little bit of extra time in the office. This guy is 100% guilty and hopefully there is no judge in the land who would rule otherwise. As for a sentencing, I would be fine if he did not have to do jail time. He obviously should never work in any type of law enforcement again.

• Like 1

The more I watch the videos from the two different perspectives, the harder it is for me two want to see this cop do major jail time. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that he screwed up big-time. And that screw up cost a man his life. But immediately after he killed the guy, he is already regretting it and making excuses. And screaming 'I told you not to move'. He knew immediately that he overreacted and killed an innocent man. And even on the police radio, his voice was quivering. I don't believe he was a malicious racist killer. I think he was a scared, in over his head person who didn't have the right personality for that job. Maybe personality isn't the right word. But as soon as the guy said he had a gun, he was scared and anticipating the worst. Instead of controlling the situation by making him Place His Hands on the Wheel, he just waited for the guy to do something that could possibly be threatening. And was ready to shoot. I don't know what the answer is. There are going to be a lot of people who want this guy doing jail time because he killed an innocent man. Unlike most of us, this guy's mistakes at work don't just cost him a little bit of extra time in the office. This guy is 100% guilty and hopefully there is no judge in the land who would rule otherwise. As for a sentencing, I would be fine if he did not have to do jail time. He obviously should never work in any type of law enforcement again.

No he wasn't a malicious racist killer. Neither are people who kill people driving drunk. Or a hundred other ways. He killed a man wrongly. There must be Punishment for that.

No he wasn't a malicious racist killer. Neither are people who kill people driving drunk. Or a hundred other ways. He killed a man wrongly. There must be Punishment for that.

this. He obviously did not intend to kill him. That being said it's the same thing I tell my kid. Intentions or not the result is the same. It being an accident does not stop Castillo from being dead.

this. He obviously did not intend to kill him. That being said it's the same thing I tell my kid. Intentions or not the result is the same. It being an accident does not stop Castillo from being dead.

Oh let's be clear. It wasn't an accident. He intentionally killed that man. You don't put seven slugs in a man at point blank on accident.

If I were the DA, I'd have charged him with manslaughter and offered a plea down to involuntary manslaughter.

Once again, if you have sympathy for the police officer (I did not watch this video as I'm tired of watching these videos, the worst one imo is the kid killed in WalMart holding a toy gun pointed downward while looking at items on the shelf and talking on the cell phone) and regular citizens, you would remove guns from regular patrol, traffic stops etc. You don't need them. Call the armed police but don't have them stopping people for traffic violations. If you don't need armed toll booth collectors or meter maids then you don't need armed police officers giving you a speeding ticket or telling you didn't stop at a stop sign or your tail light is out. That is my opinion on the matter.

eta,

I was stopped wrongly by the police for a speeding ticket once (I mentioned it here) and I was stoic. When you know someone has a gun and they are wrongly accusing you of something then you simply remain calm because you know they have the power and your job is to stay safe. That woman was calm because she was trying to defuse the situation. Otherwise she too would've been shot. Being hysterical would've only made everyone in more nervous. Keep in mind she didn't want to scare her daughter who was seated in the back of the car.

and your callous racist remarks didn't go unnoticed and just reveal your inner hatred.

Once again, if you have sympathy for the police officer (I did not watch this video as I'm tired of watching these videos, the worst one imo is the kid killed in WalMart holding a toy gun pointed downward while looking at items on the shelf and talking on the cell phone) and regular citizens, you would remove guns from regular patrol, traffic stops etc. You don't need them. Call the armed police but don't have them stopping people for traffic violations. If you don't need armed toll booth collectors or meter maids then you don't need armed police officers giving you a speeding ticket or telling you didn't stop at a stop sign or your tail light is out. That is my opinion on the matter.

eta,

I was stopped wrongly by the police for a speeding ticket once (I mentioned it here) and I was stoic. When you know someone has a gun and they are wrongly accusing you of something then you simply remain calm because you know they have the power and your job is to stay safe. That woman was calm because she was trying to defuse the situation. Otherwise she too would've been shot. Being hysterical would've only made everyone in more nervous. Keep in mind she didn't want to scare her daughter who was seated in the back of the car.

You do know there aren't separate traffic cops right? The same guy who writes you a ticket at noon is handling a robbery later and a domestic after that.

In fact, once I got pulled over and the cop was about to write me a ticket. I heard an "all units respond to a something or other" call on the radio and he said "your lucky day" handed my my documents, and sped off.

• Like 1

.....well, they should be separated.

eta,

Talking about yourself in a third person sense is annoying.

You should ALWAYS be calm when pulled over by authorities. As you say they have the power and that's that. Just listen to them, do exactly what you're told and take the ticket if you get one.

What do most of these unarmed (or in this case armed) shootings have in common? Someone escalating the situation and catching an attitude with someone who can send you to prison or the morgue.

eta,

I have been stopped over 40 times in my life. Guess how many times I have been shot? Or better yet. Guess how many of these stops resulted in anything other than a normal interaction with police. I turn my radio off. I put my hands on the steering wheel and I do NOT movie until I am instructed to. How focking hard is that? In the castillo case the cop made a mistake.

Oh let's be clear. It wasn't an accident. He intentionally killed that man. You don't put seven slugs in a man at point blank on accident.

If I were the DA, I'd have charged him with manslaughter and offered a plea down to involuntary manslaughter.

I 100% disagree. When you are pulling the trigger, especially in fear it it really easy to pop off more rounds than YOU or I would feel justified.

I have been stopped over 40 times in my life. Guess how many times I have been shot?

How many of those 40 times were you black?

Irrelevant. I will tell you that regardless of race, if you act the way Kilroy described in his post you aren't getting shot. Cops aren't just walking up to cars, seeing a black person, and shooting them.

None. And because of that I understand how to successfully interact with the police. Something the black community OBVIOUSLY does not.

Irrelevant. I will tell you that regardless of race, if you act the way Kilroy described in his post you aren't getting shot. Cops aren't just walking up to cars, seeing a black person, and shooting them.

Yes, it is irrelevant.

Just like it's irrelevant that Kiljoy96 got pulled over and didn't get shot. :thumbsup:

None. And because of that I understand how to successfully interact with the police. Something the black community OBVIOUSLY does not.

So you saw a problem with the way Castillo acted?

So you saw a problem with the way Castillo acted?

Not at all. I fully believe the cop was in the wrong here. I also believe Casillo is the exception rather than the rule when it comes to traffic stops.

Yes, it is irrelevant.

Just like it's irrelevant that Kiljoy96 got pulled over and didn't get shot. :thumbsup:

Yes, specific incidents are not relevant. The process he followed to make those incidents go smoothly is not.