Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

I may be having my midlife crisis...

I don't mean I'm going to go bang some 25 year old....

But I definitely have been....more aware? of getting older. I'm 43.

Few weeks back I was looking at that motorcycle, and all morning I've been eyeballing this Cubs fantasy baseball camp. A big part of me is just thinking in 10 years I probably can't physically do nearly as many things.

Is this a valid concern? Any of you guys going through something like this?

Just feel like I'm going to wake up tomorrow and be 55.

Yes: I'm 42. Mine is centered around my career. I keep thinking about taking a job that would pay half what I make now but be much more rewarding, like working with kids or the elderly or a non profit. I think it's part of being at an age where the end is as close as the beginning.

Yes. 48 and just want peace

• Like 1

While there is something to be said for the golden years, time is, in fact, running out on being able to do some of the things we did when we were younger. This is why I decided to squeeze one more year of softball in a few years back (didn't end well). Stevie Winwood has some great lines in The Finer Things.

"While there is time...let's go out and feel every thing"

"Cause time is a river...rolling into nowhere. We must live, while we can. And drink our cup of laughter"

While there is something to be said for the golden years, time is, in fact, running out on being able to do some of the things we did when we were younger. This is why I decided to squeeze one more year of softball in a few years back (didn't end well). Stevie Winwood has some great lines in The Finer Things.

"While there is time...let's go out and feel every thing"

"Cause time is a river...rolling into nowhere. We must live, while we can. And drink our cup of laughter"

Agree with this. As a matter of fact, still playing softball.

But, I hate that Steve Winwood song with a passion.

I feel the same. Not really looking to go do or buy anything crazy but the realization that I'm 44 and unlikely to live to 88, knowing my life is more than half over is depressing. Also, this weekend a customer died. Sounds like a heart attack but he was home alone for 2 days before anyone knew and only then because he had rented a movie and an employee was concerned and had someone go check on him. Dead on the couch.

He was 44.

Yep... I'll be 43 this fall and I'm in the same boat. Really start looking at things that matter in life.

My shoulder is hurting pretty good. Cortisone shot 2 months ago is wearing off... another shot or the bone shaving surgery I proally need? Do it now? Wait till I absolutely have to?

I'm in pretty decent shape now... do I get surgery and lose quite a bit of that in recovery?

I'm keeping with the weight lifting... though i've backed off the weight.... and gotten away from the dynamic "crossfit" type of lifting.

I feel like got muscle for days now... I need a good cut of about 25-30. Then I need to keep that weight for quite awhile. Don't want to go into my late 40's chubby.

Eating is pretty decent, but could be better. Do I eat super great? Or do I eat the stuff I like (within reason) because hey... wtf am I alive for if its not to enjoy stuff a little?

Need to get more into hiking and the like... stuff I can do when I'm older to keep fit along with weight lifting.

Retire in 7 years, 4 months :pointstosky:

Are you falling to pieces?

Maybe, but some people don't have faith no more...

Do you guys find yourselves feeling like you should do certain things..or have more urgency to do certain things before you can't?

Not necessarily cutting back on things, or looking for different employment.

I probably won't end up doing the Cubs camp....just struck me that it would be a blast and not something I physically have a ton of time left to do.

I mean I could live to 90, but physically won't be able to do much then.

I turned 49 a few months ago and know what you mean. Had a knee scoped almost two years ago so my jogging days are over. I feel good for the most part but know it's on the slow downslope of aging. You can only try to slow it down but it will keep going.

On the brighter note, I'm playing the best golf of my life.

Do you guys find yourselves feeling like you should do certain things..or have more urgency to do certain things before you can't?

Not necessarily cutting back on things, or looking for different employment.

I probably won't end up doing the Cubs camp....just struck me that it would be a blast and not something I physically have a ton of time left to do.

I mean I could live to 90, but physically won't be able to do much then.

I don't think Cubs camp is a bad idea. Especially why you physically can enjoy it. The motorcycle on the other hand. :lol:

I am for sure, I just bought an offshore boat and now I dreaming of dumping another 20k into it.

Maybe this offseason.........

Yes, like both you and MDC. I'm definitely aware my activity days are numbered. And younger women look better than ever. Have a plan to "retire" in the next 5-10 to do mostly volunteer work, possibly overseas.

Lastly I reserved a Tessa model 3. It isn't a super fancy sports car, but it violates my internal spending limit for vehicles. Plus I told myself I'd never buy a new car again. As it moves closer to release date, I'm thinking I may pull out though.

I'm not even 40 and I worry that soon I won't physically be able to do some things or they will become a LOT tougher with way more recovery time.

I also feel like I need to travel now and see the world now while I can do about anything I want and go anywhere I want without physical limitations. But I have two young kids and a career so that ain't focking happening.

Yes, like both you and MDC. I'm definitely aware my activity days are numbered. And younger women look better than ever. Have a plan to "retire" in the next 5-10 to do mostly volunteer work, possibly overseas.

Lastly I reserved a Tessa model 3. It isn't a super fancy sports car, but it violates my internal spending limit for vehicles. Plus I told myself I'd never buy a new car again. As it moves closer to release date, I'm thinking I may pull out though.

You only live once. If you really want the Tesla, then get the focking Tesla

Maybe, but some people don't have faith no more...

Posty knows some pop culture? :shocking:

It does seem to happen fast, and speed up as you get older.

I know there are things I just cant do anymore at 50.

Physically, things just aren't as strong as they used to be. So yeah, if you can do it now, DO IT! Including the 23 yr old

I'm 42, I've noticed that when I run my usual marathon, I'm not worth a for about a day and a half. Ten years ago, I'd be fine within a couple of hours.

My brother did the Cubs camp a couple of years ago, he had a blast. He was over 40 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Yep... I'll be 43 this fall and I'm in the same boat. Really start looking at things that matter in life.

My shoulder is hurting pretty good. Cortisone shot 2 months ago is wearing off... another shot or the bone shaving surgery I proally need? Do it now? Wait till I absolutely have to?

I'm in pretty decent shape now... do I get surgery and lose quite a bit of that in recovery?

I'm keeping with the weight lifting... though i've backed off the weight.... and gotten away from the dynamic "crossfit" type of lifting.

I feel like got muscle for days now... I need a good cut of about 25-30. Then I need to keep that weight for quite awhile. Don't want to go into my late 40's chubby.

Eating is pretty decent, but could be better. Do I eat super great? Or do I eat the stuff I like (within reason) because hey... wtf am I alive for if its not to enjoy stuff a little?

Need to get more into hiking and the like... stuff I can do when I'm older to keep fit along with weight lifting.

Retire in 7 years, 4 months :pointstosky:

Do it now. I waited on surgery and it screwed me even more. Recovery time is actually not that bad. Granted, I was 18 when I had my shoulder rebuilt (included bone shaving), but I had the surgery in the beginning of August and was playing pick-up basketball by October. Just the first 4-6 weeks sucked ass.

50 next Sunday. :unsure:

I'm 50 on Wednesday. :o :cry:

Haven't really thought about it much to be honest. I probably should though. :dunno:

How much do they run new?

Do it now. I waited on surgery and it screwed me even more. Recovery time is actually not that bad. Granted, I was 18 when I had my shoulder rebuilt (included bone shaving), but I had the surgery in the beginning of August and was playing pick-up basketball by October. Just the first 4-6 weeks sucked ass.

i tweaked mine last October. rehabbed pretty well....gained a lot of range back but still had pain when the arm/shoulder was in certain positions. decided to go for it while i have the down time (just shaved bone). went under the knife 7/14. getting better every day. still some pain but know it will go away.

I'll be forty nine in a few months. Getting old is so much worse than I thought it be. All of these aches and pains. Harder to stay in shape. Wife isn't aging well either. Daughter going to college. I'll probably do something stoopid when I turn fifty.

Yes. 48 and just want peace

:thumbsup:

I'm 46. I don't have many regrets. There isn't really anything big that I "missed" or want to do.

I lived a really good, fun life while I was single and now I have a wife and kids... and all I want is PEACE.

That was always a "hippie" word to me growing up... people giving peace signs and fruity shiat like that... call it peace... call it balance, cal it "chi"... whatever.

It's all I really want now.

In a state of peace, I can raise my kids, teach them, show them, nurture them

It's actually a big part of my issue with news/TV/culture/etc today... it all focks up my chi.... it is intended to evoke emotion/reaction/discomfort... I hate the focking news... I hate the fockig politicians... I hate the focking Kardashians... they are all the antithesis of Peacej, Chi, Balance... they fock with your mind and just make the world even more dysfunctional.

And yes, younger women look even better than ever... I simply cannot believe how many beautiful women are in this world.

• Like 2

i tweaked mine last October. rehabbed pretty well....gained a lot of range back but still had pain when the arm/shoulder was in certain positions. decided to go for it while i have the down time (just shaved bone). went under the knife 7/14. getting better every day. still some pain but know it will go away.

No sh!t huh? How evasive was it? Your arm straped up? Big cut? Dish...

38 you old focks :banana:

Not bad. Three small insissions. Have a sling. Needed if for the first few days, but recovering nicely. I do not need it but wear it when in crowds so people avoid bumping me or giving me a friendly pop "how's it going?"

I sleep on my stomach. Was able to go back to that after 3-4 days. Stiches removed on day five. I am sore, but it is only day 10. I can do low lifting with my left. No rehab yet. Likely start next week. I believe I could have started last week.

I feel the same. Not really looking to go do or buy anything crazy but the realization that I'm 44 and unlikely to live to 88, knowing my life is more than half over is depressing. Also, this weekend a customer died. Sounds like a heart attack but he was home alone for 2 days before anyone knew and only then because he had rented a movie and an employee was concerned and had someone go check on him. Dead on the couch.

He was 44.

Even if you lived to 88, it's way more than half over because of how fast time feels like it moves at your age. Even faster is still to come

Haha...this is how middle aged guy i am.

I'm pretty sure that fantasy baseball camp has live pitching from a pitcher. Not from a machine. That probably officially removes me. I can't even remember the last time I hit a pitched fastball.

pm'd you my phone number. call with any questions

I'm 50 on Wednesday. :o :cry:

Haven't really thought about it much to be honest. I probably should though. :dunno:

Little over a month away from 50 here.

Little over a month away from 50 here.

How many times are you two going to jerk each other off and tell the other guy you are turning 50 soon?

How many times are you two going to jerk each other off and tell the other guy you are turning 50 soon?

Forget how to read, or losing your memory?

Forget how to read, or losing your memory?

He's just upset that his long hippie hair isn't appropriate for a 33 yr old curmudgeon and he needs to get an adult haircut. :(

Also, 33... that would be 2000 for me. My company was acquired (like a similar company was this year, some things never change). I was new to sales and doing well. Two kids with the third conceived later this year. Good times. :cheers:

He's just upset that his long hippie hair isn't appropriate for a 33 yr old curmudgeon and he needs to get an adult haircut. :(

Also, 33... that would be 2000 for me. My company was acquired (like a similar company was this year, some things never change). I was new to sales and doing well. Two kids with the third conceived later this year. Good times. :cheers:

Damn I can see it getting thinner too. Focking sucks