Sign in to follow this  
lesjroza

Gronk might retire after Super Bowl...........

............according to P.F.T. tweet which it admits is 99% Wild Guess. Why don't they just focus on the 1% and report it on a standalone basis? LOL

What's kind of fun is the thread of replies though.

Missed the chance to say 69%

That's how they knew gronk was concussed. They asked him what 68+1 was, and he didn't know the answer...they took his helmet immediately.

2 replies0 retweets22 likes

Can i buy pot from you?

3 replies2 retweets44 likes

etc.

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/960249122010775552

ProFootballTalk

Verified account @ProFootballTalk
FollowingFollowing @ProFootballTalk
More

This is 99-percent wild guess but it would not shock me at all if Gronk retires after tonight's game.

12:30 PM - 4 Feb 2018

He's gotten banged up quite a bit during his days.

Major forearm injury, major lower back injury, major knee injury.

This past concussion wasn't his first and would imagine he's had quite a few of those too.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to keep it at that.

He has solid wwe future. Good for him

Is he suddenly going to stay healthy for that?

Don't see him retiring now with the look on his face walking off the field. Perhaps if they had won. He is probably gonna pull a Calvin though in the next couple of years.

Don't see him retiring now with the look on his face walking off the field. Perhaps if they had won. He is probably gonna pull a Calvin though in the next couple of years.

I mighta spoke too soon, another puff of smoke indicating there could be an ember

https://twitter.com/McKennAnalysis/status/960362284743905280

Henry McKennaVerified account @McKennAnalysis
FollowFollow @McKennAnalysis
More

Rob Gronkowski said he was going to reflect on his future when asked if he’s considering retiring. He wouldn’t commit to returning in 2018.

It might be a bit of posturing. The dude deserves to be the highest paid TE in the game.

I hear you and I'm not saying there may not be room but I think 2 of the more recent comp contracts would be Kelce and Ertz.........Gronks deal is definitely not out of line

Kelce 9.3 mil per yr

Gronk 9

Ertz 8.5

Gronk with 2.5 mil more guaranteed than Kelce and highest total value

I don't think every GM would take Gronk over Kelce at this point in their careers considering all factors such as injury history and off field distractions, in addition to performance. At least not by a wide margin

Graham still at the top but its a dinosaur contract from way back when that got him traded in the end

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end

Maybe he feels it's time to focus his efforts on the Gronk Cruise.

I'm kidding of course...but could you imagine?

I hear you and I'm not saying there may not be room but I think 2 of the more recent comp contracts would be Kelce and Ertz.........Gronks deal is definitely not out of line

Kelce 9.3 mil per yr

Gronk 9

Ertz 8.5

Gronk with 2.5 mil more guaranteed than Kelce and highest total value

I don't think every GM would take Gronk over Kelce at this point in their careers considering all factors such as injury history and off field distractions, in addition to performance. At least not by a wide margin

Graham still at the top but its a dinosaur contract from way back when that got him traded in the end

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end

I think the point I would make if I was Gronk's agent is that he should be paid comparable to the top WRs in the game. If you think about it, there are only a handful of receivers who impact their team's passing game the way Gronk impacts his. Throw in the fact that he's an excellent blocking TE as well. It's a joke that guys like Dez Bryant (838 yards 6 TDs) and DeSean Jackson (668 yards 3 TDs) make more money than Gronk (1,084 yards, 8TDs + another 218/3 in the playoffs). He put up better stats this year than DeVante Adams, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin... the list goes on and on.

I think the point I would make if I was Gronk's agent is that he should be paid comparable to the top WRs in the game. If you think about it, there are only a handful of receivers who impact their team's passing game the way Gronk impacts his. Throw in the fact that he's an excellent blocking TE as well. It's a joke that guys like Dez Bryant (838 yards 6 TDs) and DeSean Jackson (668 yards 3 TDs) make more money than Gronk (1,084 yards, 8TDs + another 218/3 in the playoffs). He put up better stats than DeVante Adams, Mike Evans, Doug Baldwin... the list goes on and on.

No doubt about this. The guy is a massive target for both passes and getting hit. I wouldn't blame the guy for retiring after that last head shot he took.

Pretty good article on it this morning from MSN...

According to a report from Bill Burt of local Massachusetts newspaper The Eagle-Tribune, Gronkowski is thinking about giving up football to pursue a career in acting. Gronk has supposedly spoken with Hollywood legends Sylvester Stallone and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, who told him they believe he could make millions if he starred in action films.
Burt also reports that Gronkowski has told friends that injuries have taken a toll on him, which makes sense. With the concussion that knocked him out of the AFC Championship Game, Gronkowski has now suffered just about every significant injury a football player can have. The 28-year-old has torn his ACL, broken his arm and undergone back surgery on three different occasions since college.
In some ways, it isn’t all that shocking that Gronkowski would consider retirement. He has said in the past that he is very responsible with money and hasn’t spent a dime of his NFL earnings, using just endorsement money to this point. The Gronkowski family is extremely popular and owns a successful fitness company, so Rob likely isn’t worried about money when making a decision about his NFL future.

If Gronk is endorsed by Stallone and the Rock...those are two actors I'd like to have on my side breaking into the business! And he hasn't spent a dime of his NFL monies? Only endorsement money at this point. Not bad Mr. Gronkowski!

I can see Gronk in movies but I just can't imagine him as a big time action star like the Rock, Stallone or Arnold. I can't even imagine him having a Vin Diesel type of career. I think of Gronk as more of the big goofy sidekick in Adam Sandler movies. No matter what he does, I'll follow along. Movies, WWE, football...Gronk is an entertainer and fun to watch.

I can see Gronk in movies but I just can't imagine him as a big time action star like the Rock, Stallone or Arnold. I can't even imagine him having a Vin Diesel type of career. I think of Gronk as more of the big goofy sidekick in Adam Sandler movies. No matter what he does, I'll follow along. Movies, WWE, football...Gronk is an entertainer and fun to watch.

What was the Rock in as far as action movies? Anything good?

Gronk probably sees how far the Pats are from competing with the best and decided F it, might as well quit while Im ahead.

What was the Rock in as far as action movies? Anything good?

He does a ton of action movies, just don't think I've bothered to watch any. They seem to make $$$ at the box office and I guess that's all that matters. He did the GI Joe one, the end of the world one, Doom, Fast and Furious. Hercules. Actually maybe they were terrible some of those....

He does a ton of action movies, just don't think I've bothered to watch any. They seem to make $$$ at the box office and I guess that's all that matters. He did the GI Joe one, the end of the world one, Doom, Fast and Furious. Hercules. Actually maybe they were terrible some of those....

Tough to beat Terminator and Rambo I guess.

I wonder if Mcdaniels coming back will sway him too return.

The Rock and Stallone are trying to get him into acting. His family is urging him to look past football because of the numerous injuries.

I think he gives it a go for one or two more years, but decides to retire early.

Belichick, Brady, and Gronkowski may all leave in the same year in the near future. What a rebuild for them...

Yeah, I can't see him retiring while still in his 20's even though others with much less money have. If Brady only has another year or two left, he'd be wise to beg Gronk to stick around a little while longer.

Yeah, I can't see him retiring while still in his 20's even though others with much less money have. If Brady only has another year or two left, he'd be wise to beg Gronk to stick around a little while longer.

The key difference is that those that did retire didn't have the same earning potential. If you have a player who may or may not have a career longer than 4 years (the approximate NFL average), who's annual salary will be less than $600k, he's a lot more likely to retire from fear of the future, i.e. brain or physical disabilities, than someone who's got an 8 figure annual contract in the future. Money is the only driving force in that equation.

The key difference is that those that did retire didn't have the same earning potential. If you have a player who may or may not have a career longer than 4 years (the approximate NFL average), who's annual salary will be less than $600k, he's a lot more likely to retire from fear of the future, i.e. brain or physical disabilities, than someone who's got an 8 figure annual contract in the future. Money is the only driving force in that equation.

I don't know. I took a shot to the head in stupid HS football and will never forget it. That hit he took this post season was violent man. Plus, he will continue to get back and leg injuries. He is not elusive. He's like a huge tackling dummy on the field. Those injuries add up and does he want to dance shirtless at yacht parties with a bad back and a limp for the rest of his life?

I don't know. I took a shot to the head in stupid HS football and will never forget it. That hit he took this post season was violent man. Plus, he will continue to get back and leg injuries. He is not elusive. He's like a huge tackling dummy on the field. Those injuries add up and does he want to dance shirtless at yacht parties with a bad back and a limp for the rest of his life?

I certainly don't disagree with your point. My point was just that guys who retire really early are guys who don't have the big earning potential and that great desire to play. The guys who keep going back have that "desire", but most importantly, have the high 7 figure annual pay with 8 figure potential.

There was an interesting article in the Boston Globe on Sunday. It commented on the $5.5M in bonuses he earned last year, and how he *is* underpaid, versus the top WRs. The writer hypothesized that if NE does something similar again for 2018, that Gronk will play. Say, another $2.5M or $3.5M in performance bonuses which FOR HIM, he should be able to achieve.

There was an interesting article in the Boston Globe on Sunday. It commented on the $5.5M in bonuses he earned last year, and how he *is* underpaid, versus the top WRs. The writer hypothesized that if NE does something similar again for 2018, that Gronk will play. Say, another $2.5M or $3.5M in performance bonuses which FOR HIM, he should be able to achieve.

Him being "underpaid", is his and his agents fault, not the Patriots'.