Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

UPDATE: Cousins Hype - Expected to sign with MIN

so, if Cousins was signed to two consecutive non exclusive franchise tags it looks like Washington is willing to move on.

clearly the large price tag does not appeal to the team brass.

but if they do the non exclusive tag, could they not get 2 first round picks out of the deal if he signs for more than the average of the top 5?

I guess my question is what would stop the team from doing this?

Probably the fact that no team in the league would be stupid enough to give be up two 1st round picks for Cousins.

Probably the fact that no team in the league would be stupid enough to give be up two 1st round picks for Cousins.

I dont know.... some teams have shown a lot of interest.

but I guess if you have a top 5 pick in the draft, maybe the price is too steep.

but a team like Denver might just go for that.

I dont know.... some teams have shown a lot of interest.

but I guess if you have a top 5 pick in the draft, maybe the price is too steep.

but a team like Denver might just go for that.

There is no way. The Skins have opted to cut bait and they have no leverage at all.

no leverage at all?

when teams are lining up to sign your free agent, I suspect you have some leverage.

If you are Washington, maybe you start the rumour that you are trying to repair the relationship and sign him.

it's all about perspective. Just because Washington does not want him does not mean other teams dont as well.

Clearly cousins wants a pile of money and Washington does not want to give it to him. but if other teams are willing to pay a pile of money maybe a deal gets done.

especially if a team wants the early jump in negotiations. Even if you trade his rights a few days before he becomes a free againt, some team might pay even a later round pick to get that advantage.

The hype is about arguably a Top 10 QB being a free agent in his prime (29). The Skins totally screwed this up from the start. They could've signed him two years ago to the contract they just gave Alex Smith whose 5 years older.

If Cousins lands in Denver, they are automatically in contention in the wide open AFC for the next 5 years.

He is that good. Never played for a team with a defense. Never played for a team with a running game. Never played for a functional organization.

Agree with the above post.

• Like 1

The hype is about arguably a Top 10 QB being a free agent in his prime (29). The Skins totally screwed this up from the start. They could've signed him two years ago to the contract they just gave Alex Smith whose 5 years older.

If Cousins lands in Denver, they are automatically in contention in the wide open AFC for the next 5 years.

He is that good. Never played for a team with a defense. Never played for a team with a running game. Never played for a functional organization.

Agreed.

In my opinion, Denver becomes the favorite to be the AFC Super Bowl representative if they get Cousins.

Most of this is correct.

but beware, the line in Denver is not equal to the line he had in Washington.

This isnt by any means a slam dunk. A large part of the problem in the Denver offense is the line was bad last year. Maybe not as bad as the year previous, but still subpar.

I think a good QB can over come a poor performing Oline.

He will gain better playmakers and a better defense, and in itself will make him more comfortable and maybe a better performer.

Most of this is correct.

This isnt by any means a slam dunk. A large part of the problem in the Denver offense is the line was bad last year. Maybe not as bad as the year previous, but still subpar.

The Washington O-line was one of the worst last year. They were so depleted they were signing starters off the street.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/sports/redskins/redskins-survey-the-offensive-line-carnage-were-just-surviving-honestly/2017/12/08/a375773c-dc59-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html

"But with injuries depleting the Redskins' ranks this season, each workweek since the Oct. 23 loss at Philadelphia (the last game in which the original starting group was intact) has begun almost from scratch as backups become starters, replacements arrive to fill roster spots and everyone cross-trains in case he is required to play an unfamiliar position in a crisis.

"We're just surviving, honestly," said Pro Bowl left tackle Trent Williams, who hopes to finish the season on a knee that needs surgery."

I think a good QB can over come a poor performing Oline.

He will gain better playmakers and a better defense, and in itself will make him more comfortable and maybe a better performer.

And conversely, a bad QB can make a good OLine look not so good.

And conversely, a bad QB can make a good OLine look not so good.

I disagree with this one. If QBs look bad with a good o-line, I think it shows that the QB is bad.

I disagree with this one. If QBs look bad with a good o-line, I think it shows that the QB is bad.

Yes... and no. You may have a QB that you "think" is good but blame the OLine, when in fact, there's nothing wrong with the OLine, just the QB isn't as good as you think.

Yes... and no. You may have a QB that you "think" is good but blame the OLine, when in fact, there's nothing wrong with the OLine, just the QB isn't as good as you think.

Could work for Rbs also, mmm like DMartin.

This :thumbsup:

you can tell if the line is performing in pass pro because it is a metric that teams can measure.

How much time does a QB have to get rid of the ball?

if a QB has a decent amount of time to throw the ball, and is still getting sacked or Hurried, the QB isnt making decisions fast enough.

If the QB doesnt get a decent amount of time before pressure arrives, that is when it is a line problem.

There are metrics that do measure that sort of thing. So in some cases they do blame the QB because he's hanging onto the football for too long. That's when you do not blame the line.

This :thumbsup:

you can tell if the line is performing in pass pro because it is a metric that teams can measure.

How much time does a QB have to get rid of the ball?

if a QB has a decent amount of time to throw the ball, and is still getting sacked or Hurried, the QB isnt making decisions fast enough.

If the QB doesnt get a decent amount of time before pressure arrives, that is when it is a line problem.

There are metrics that do measure that sort of thing. So in some cases they do blame the QB because he's hanging onto the football for too long. That's when you do not blame the line.

Can you?

I've heard over the last few years that the Colts need to upgrade their line because Luck is getting killed. I've also seen a metric where only Tyrod Taylor had more time to throw (of qualified QB's - started at least 12 games), than Luck (in 2016). So, is Andrew Luck getting killed by the OLine that gives him the 2nd most time to throw in the NFL or is Andrew Luck not as good as we thought... where he's hanging onto the ball too long?

Dak playes behind a good Oline, and when the Zeke wasn't playing , he wasn't the same player.

Can you?

I've heard over the last few years that the Colts need to upgrade their line because Luck is getting killed. I've also seen a metric where only Tyrod Taylor had more time to throw (of qualified QB's - started at least 12 games), than Luck (in 2016). So, is Andrew Luck getting killed by the OLine that gives him the 2nd most time to throw in the NFL or is Andrew Luck not as good as we thought... where he's hanging onto the ball too long?

In 2016 Indi ranked last in pass blocking efficiency. Last year they moved up to 28th.

I haven't watched many indi games when Luck was actually playing, but it sure looked like a lot of defenders were deep in the backfield before Luck even finished his dropback.

Dak playes behind a good Oline, and when the Zeke wasn't playing , he wasn't the same player.

Prescott has never been a player that interests me for FF. That's a good example of a good oline, not so good QB.

Legitimate questions.

Can you?

This is a case where the line allowed the QB to play to his maximum potential.

It is possible that he is really just an average QB who has lots of time to throw the football.

Prescott has never been a player that interests me for FF. That's a good example of a good oline, not so good QB.

In 2016 Indi ranked last in pass blocking efficiency. Last year they moved up to 28th.

I haven't watched many indi games when Luck was actually playing, but it sure looked like a lot of defenders were deep in the backfield before Luck even finished his dropback.

The fact that only Tyrod Taylor had more time to throw the ball than Andrew Luck that year doesn't back up that pass blocking efficiency rating. He clearly had time to throw... and more time than almost every other QB in the league.

This is a case where the line allowed the QB to play to his maximum potential.

It is possible that he is really just an average QB who has lots of time to throw the football.

Plus he has a bull dog of a Rb to help him out.

What would Cousins do for the value of D Thomas and E Sanders? Looking at this past year for as good of a season Cousins had none of the WR really seem to stand out.

Wr2 and wr3.

It would diffently raise both of their value.

Most of this is correct.

And Vance Joseph seems inept. Don't forget that

What affect would Cousin's have on drafting Thielen and Diggs this year if he goes to Minni? I think they move up huge.

What affect would Cousin's have on drafting Thielen and Diggs this year if he goes to Minni? I think they move up huge.

Vikes might lose 31-14 to Philly this time. :first:

• Like 1

I don't see how. Keenum averaged 32 attempts per game. Had he started all 16, he'd probably would have had around 525 pass attempts and have ranked him 11th in the league. Considering that he completed 67% of his passes, 2nd to only Drew Brees, I find it difficult to believe that Cousins would significantly out perform the 4,000 yards and 25 TD's that Minnesota passed for last year. Yeah, Cousins did throw for almost 5000 yards one year, but in the other two, he averaged 4100 yards and 26 TD's. Keep in mind that the Vikings will also have Dalvin Cook back and they have a top flight defense. The need for over 525 attempts is relatively low.

I agree with TB.

I don't think they lose any ground with Cousins, but hard too see them moving up much.

I don't see how. Keenum averaged 32 attempts per game. Had he started all 16, he'd probably would have had around 525 pass attempts and have ranked him 11th in the league. Considering that he completed 67% of his passes, 2nd to only Drew Brees, I find it difficult to believe that Cousins would significantly out perform the 4,000 yards and 25 TD's that Minnesota passed for last year. Yeah, Cousins did throw for almost 5000 yards one year, but in the other two, he averaged 4100 yards and 26 TD's. Keep in mind that the Vikings will also have Dalvin Cook back and they have a top flight defense. The need for over 525 attempts is relatively low.

I agree.

with Cook back, this offense wont need to throw the ball nearly as much.

I'd expect that the passing yards in this offense will be down from last year no matter who the QB is and that's largely due to a healthy Cook.

but good performance does not always mean big yardage.

If Cook lights it up as a RB, the QB in place wont need to throw for much more than 4000 yards so long as the turnovers are kept to a minimum.

It's nice to have a QB who can do more, but I think Cousins becomes a bit less of a gunslinger and a bit more of a game manager in that offense.

I agree.

with Cook back, this offense wont need to throw the ball nearly as much.

I'd expect that the passing yards in this offense will be down from last year no matter who the QB is and that's largely due to a healthy Cook.

but good performance does not always mean big yardage.

If Cook lights it up as a RB, the QB in place wont need to throw for much more than 4000 yards so long as the turnovers are kept to a minimum.

It's nice to have a QB who can do more, but I think Cousins becomes a bit less of a gunslinger and a bit more of a game manager in that offense.

I suppose that's possible, but that is assumimg 2 things:

One, Minni uses Cook in a full time role upon his return from a harsh injury and they run him a lot.

Two, Cook picks up where he left off and shows no negative affects from the injury.

If those 2 things happen, and they get Cousins, that will be one heck of an offense.

Personally, I think Minnesota would be best served just giving Keenum a long term deal.

But it seems the vikes are all in on cousins. what does that move do to min skill players value?

But it seems the vikes are all in on cousins. what does that move do to min skill players value?

Yeah, and that decision does baffle me. You have a guy who knows your players and they know him. He knows the playbook and you just went to the conference championship game with him in a season where he played great. It makes no sense to me as to why you'd want to move on from that.

If Cousins goes to Minnesota, every skill player on that team moves to my DND list. Why? Because people will think they're going to be better. I don't see how. As I said above, Minnesota QB's (Keenum and Bradford), last year were very efficient. They completed over 68% passes, for about 4,000 yards and had 25 TD's and only 7 Int's. Cousins' 3-year average is 4400 yards, 27 and 12 (completing 67% of his passes). Keep in mind that that 4400 yard average is boosted by 1 season at 4900 yards where as the other two average just over 4100. I think Cousins does about what Keenum and Bradford did. I'd say, 4200 yards and 26 TD's. That's what, 200 yards and 1 TD more. Heck, if only 1 guy got that, say on 12 receptions, that's bump of 2 points per game. Split that among 2 good receivers, a good TE, a RB and a splattering of other's here and there, and I think the best case scenario is about 0.3 ppg.

I think a lot of people will think Cousins will be a huge addition, I don't. I think people will over-draft Thielen and Diggs, and even Rudolph, I won't. I'll let people get disappointed in their production and maybe I can trade for them on a buy-low deal.

Hugh no, but still if Cousins does indeed sign with the Vikings I find it silly to place a dnd tag on the Vikings skill players.

I think you have a good point that those players might not exceed last seasons stats, but based on your findings even if they post about the same or even close to the same ff points wouldn't make them worth of a dnd.

It's all about how you rank them how one will draft them, but a dnd list no.

Hugh no, but still if Cousins does indeed sign with the Vikings I find it silly to place a dnd tag on the Vikings skill players.

I think you have a good point that those players might not exceed last seasons stats, but based on your findings even if they post about the same or even close to the same ff points wouldn't make them worth of a dnd.

It's all about how you rank them how one will draft them, but a dnd list no.

By "DND list", I'm referring them to being over valued. So, the ADP will likely be 2 rounds higher than what I think they should be. If that's the case, I don't draft them there. Hence, do not draft.

By "DND list", I'm referring them to being over valued. So, the ADP will likely be 2 rounds higher than what I think they should be. If that's the case, I don't draft them there. Hence, do not draft.

I agree with this definition for sure. Julio Jones and Fournette and some others I feel the same way about not wanting at a high price. Unless of course they fall to the 4th round, which they won't in any league or format so I write them off.

Sounds like Cousins is heading to Minnesota. Per Adam Schefter...

Kirk Cousins plans to sign a three-year, fully-guaranteed contract from the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday, sources tell ESPN.