Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

School shooting, 4 dead, shooter dead - N. Cali

In the act? No, you have to wait until he's inside the house. How do you know he wouldn't have changed his mind? :dunno:

Inside or out, I could change his mind with one smooth, level swing.

Inside or out, I could change his mind with one smooth, level swing.

Just make sure he ends up inside before the cops show up. :thumbsup:

that's pretty stupid logic.

Care to elaborate?

For reference, your lifetime risk of dying from a firearm discharge is 1 in 6700. The risk of dying from a dog bite (of which pit bulls are a small fraction) is 1 in 116,500.

So which is more dangerous?

Unfortunately the bad guys have gotten wise and are putting their pit-bulls in through people's dog doors. Their dog goes in and takes care of your dog. Or you. Easy peasy.

You guys always tell me criminals like easy targets. Why not choose someone who owns neither?

You guys always tell me criminals like easy targets. Why not choose someone who owns neither?

If they had their druthers I'm sure most would and do.

In the act? No, you have to wait until he's inside the house. How do you know he wouldn't have changed his mind? :dunno:

I wouldnt care.

Ok, so you admit the doggie door scenario you describe is unlikely?

Sure, I'm not saying it's a pandemic. It has happened though. I'm just pointing out that the dirtbags have found a work around for your dog.

Sure, I'm not saying it's a pandemic. It has happened though. I'm just pointing out that the dirtbags have found a work around for your dog.

They also can work around any firearms you own. What is your point?

They also can work around any firearms you own. What is your point?

"Dog or pet doors can be a great convenience for both homeowners and pets. But for one Colorado Springs man, his doggie door allowed deadly intruders into his home. This is not uncommon, a couple near Miami, dubbed the Doggie Door Burglars, were arrested last week for at least seven suspected break-ins using pet doors to gain entry to private residences.

But the intruders in Colorado Springs were not entering as burglars, but as menaces. The homeowner shot and killed three pit bulls that sneaked into his house through a doggie door and then attacked his dogs. Police say the attack occurred early Saturday.

The man told police he was asleep when he heard the dogs fighting. The man used his gun and shot the intruders. Officers found the three pit bulls dead.

With almost half of all Americans owning dogs, many pet owners wishing to simplify their lives opt to install a dog door, thereby decreasing the frequency with which they must get up to let their pet inside or out. But finding the right door to allow pet freedom but also reduce the chance of unwanted intruders may take some work."

My point is, in my opinion, guns > dogs for home security.

I would never leave a doggie door open while Im asleep. Even in the city we get possums and raccoons - fock that.

My dog would be useless in actual defense but he goes nuts if he hears something at night, classic watch dog.

"Dog or pet doors can be a great convenience for both homeowners and pets. But for one Colorado Springs man, his doggie door allowed deadly intruders into his home. This is not uncommon, a couple near Miami, dubbed the Doggie Door Burglars, were arrested last week for at least seven suspected break-ins using pet doors to gain entry to private residences.

But the intruders in Colorado Springs were not entering as burglars, but as menaces. The homeowner shot and killed three pit bulls that sneaked into his house through a doggie door and then attacked his dogs. Police say the attack occurred early Saturday.

The man told police he was asleep when he heard the dogs fighting. The man used his gun and shot the intruders. Officers found the three pit bulls dead.

With almost half of all Americans owning dogs, many pet owners wishing to simplify their lives opt to install a dog door, thereby decreasing the frequency with which they must get up to let their pet inside or out. But finding the right door to allow pet freedom but also reduce the chance of unwanted intruders may take some work."

My point is, in my opinion, guns > dogs for home security.

Still don't think this lessens the value of a dog in home security - the fighting dogs make a racket which is probably worse than a single dog barking, which is that much more likely to alert the homeowner.

Im not a pretend lawyer but if someone is in the act of breaking into my house I will beat them into submission and take my chances in court.

I know in Tennessee there is a legal presumption that if someone is in your home, your are reasonably in fear of your life. Blast away.

Just remember, if They are crawling out the window, drag em back in after.

I invented a great idea years ago but never bothered to try to make it.

A doggie door that matches with a chip on your dogs collar. Bluetooth or nfc. The doggy door only opens if that collar is within a one foot radius of it.

This is more a concern with keeping random stray animals out of your house than Pit bull burglars, but I guess it would work there too.

Hell, throw a gps on there too. So if your dog runs off.

I wonder if you could do something like that with the chip they implant that has your info?

I hate to break it to you Titans, but your great idea has already been thought of and put into production.

Not only do they have RFID and magnetic types among others, the smartest ones I've seen so far use the existing implanted chip that your dog already has.

That is positively brilliant. The others seem pretty darn obvious but using the tracking / identification chip that's already unique and inside your dog already is great.

I hate to break it to you Titans, but your great idea has already been thought of and put into production.

Not only do they have RFID and magnetic types among others, the smartest ones I've seen so far use the existing implanted chip that your dog already has.

That is positively brilliant. The others seem pretty darn obvious but using the tracking / identification chip that's already unique and inside your dog already is great.

Figures. This always happens. I invented the Snuggie long before they came out. Figured it was a dumb idea, nobody would buy it. Saw a display in Walgreens years later and kicked myself.