Sign in to follow this  
edjr

George Clooney - GOAT friend? 2013 gave 14 of his friends 1 million dollars (each)

There are good friends, there are great friends, and, apparently, there is George Clooney.
Rande Gerber, a businessman and longtime friend of the actor, told MSNBC’s “Headliners” that Clooney once gave 14 friends $1 million each and paid their taxes for a year.
"There's a group of guys that we call ‘The Boys.' George had called me and ‘The Boys' and said, ‘Hey, mark September 27, 2013 on your calendar. Everyone's going to come to my house for dinner,” Gerber recalled.
Gerber said he and “The Boys” arrived at Clooney’s home to find black designer luggage bags at each place setting on the table. When they opened the bags, they found “a million dollars in 20 dollar bills,” E! News reported.
“George begins to say, ‘Listen, I want you guys to know how much you’ve meant to me and how much you mean to me in my life,” the 55-year-old said. “‘I came to L.A., I slept on your couch. I’m so fortunate in my life to have all of you and I couldn’t be where I am today without all of you. So, it was really important to me that while we’re still all here together, that I give back. So I want you all to open your suitcases.’”
Gerber added, “Every one of us – 14 of us – got a million dollars. Every single one of us. We’re in shock.”
He goes, ‘I know we’ve all been through some hard times, some of you are still going through it. You don’t have to worry about your kids, you don’t have to worry about, you know, school, you don’t have to worry about paying your mortgage,'” he added.
Gerber said some of their friends were going through a difficult time, including one who was working at a Texas airport's bar trying to make ends meet for his family. Gerber recalled pulling Clooney aside and refusing to take the generous gift, but the 56-year-old actor then replied: “I’m just going to make one announcement. If Rande doesn’t take the million dollars, nobody gets it.”
Gerber, who is married to Cindy Crawford and a part-owner of Casamigos Tequila Company with Clooney, took the money and donated it to charity.
“This is who George is. That was September 27th, 2013. Now September 27th, 2014, he marries Amal. Now that’s good karma right there,” Gerber said.
Clooney has two 6-month-old twins with Amal Clooney. They also recently showed their generosity by handing out noise canceling headphones on a flight to England, apologizing for their twins for crying, Page Six reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/12/13/george-clooney-once-gifted-14-friends-1m-each-rande-gerber-says.html

Have to pay taxes on that?

I believe that they do...

They do now :D

• Like 1

The article you pasted said that he paid their taxes for a year as well... :doh:

that's what I have you guys for.

:cheers:

and come to think of it, I am sure they wouldn't agree to be interviewed, unless the article said they paid them

Anytime I daydream about winnng the lotto or making it big in my industry, this is the exact scenario Ive spent most of my time daydreaming about.... right down to the dinner party plan and speech. Weird.

Yes, Clooney is the GOAT.

I believe that they do...

They do now :D

:first:

The article you pasted said that he paid their taxes for a year as well... :doh:

Article says he paid ( ;) ) their taxes.

that's what I have you guys for.

:cheers:

and come to think of it, I am sure they wouldn't agree to be interviewed, unless the article said they paid them

I started multi quoting only to be 3rd in line to say READ the article dipshit.

I'm just glad that he was there for his friend that is going through so much being married to Cindy Crawford. Thoughts and prayers. How awful it must be to be married to a supermodel.

Sometimes we just don't know how good we actually have it.

Imagine being friend number 15...

I wonder if Brad Pitt showed up with his hands out

I wonder if Brad Pitt showed up with his hands out

Hey buddy old pal! You can skip the $1M...how about you just pay my taxes for the year?

Hey buddy old pal! You can skip the $1M...how about you just pay my taxes for the year?

:doublethumbsup:

Sounds like hush money.

Clooney getting ahead of #metoo. That's why he's GOAT.

I'm just glad that he was there for his friend that is going through so much being married to Cindy Crawford. Thoughts and prayers. How awful it must be to be married to a supermodel.

Sometimes we just don't know how good we actually have it.

That was a dif friend, Gerber is the one telling the story and married to Cindy, he donated his to charity.

Anytime I daydream about winnng the lotto or making it big in my industry, this is the exact scenario Ive spent most of my time daydreaming about.... right down to the dinner party plan and speech. Weird.

Yes, Clooney is the GOAT.

Ive had that same daydream. Even planned out where to have the bash and how much Id give to whom.

A client or telemarketer usually calls and interrupts right when its getting good.

Hey George! It's me, your friend.

There is one line of that story that confuses me:

Clooney has two 6-month-old twins with Amal Clooney.

So he has 2 sets of twins? 4 total kids? Did he have them with two mothers? Wouldnt they be quadruplets if one mom?

There is one line of that story that confuses me:

Clooney has two 6-month-old twins with Amal Clooney.

So he has 2 sets of twins? 4 total kids? Did he have them with two mothers? Wouldnt they be quadruplets if one mom?

:dunno:

Two twins is two people, dingus.

:dunno:

Two twins is two people, dingus.

He should have said: Clooney has 6 month old twins. The writer is the dingus. Twins is 2 people. 2 twins are 4 people.

He should have said: Clooney has 6 month old twins. The writer is the dingus. Twins is 2 people. 2 twins are 4 people.

Somebodys a little anal ^_^

So 6 one month old twins is 12?

Boss move and all but, pretty sure he sold a tequila company for a billion dollars....

Boss move and all but, pretty sure he sold a tequila company for a billion dollars....

I hope one of the guys said that right after getting the money.

So if it had been just one kid, is it a 6th month old half of twins?

Youre right, but its minor.

It is amazing to see the terrible grammar and writing you see from supposedly professional writers these days though.

Ok but...

He gifts them a mil. And says he pays their taxes. That's another gift that they have to pay taxes on again right?

Ok but...

He gifts them a mil. And says he pays their taxes. That's another gift that they have to pay taxes on again right?

Gift tax is paid by the giver, not the recipient.

So if someone gives me a million dollars it's tax free to me? Dayummm

But this story is now more confusing. Why would it be reported that he paid their taxes on the gift if they never had to pay taxes on it in the first place?

Is this all made up?

Can be paid by either.

So if someone gives me a million dollars it's tax free to me? Dayummm

But this story is now more confusing. Why would it be reported that he paid their taxes on the gift if they never had to pay taxes on it in the first place?

Is this all made up?

If I remember correctly, a mil is over the limit of tax free gift one can receive in a year, so there would have been income tax as well. I think. I dunno, its been a while and that sh!t was really boring.

Can be paid by either.

I'll re-phrase. Either could pay it but the gift tax liability is on the giver. (above exclusions and lifetime exemption which $14 million+ would be)

Chinaboy is guessing, there is no income tax on gifting after-tax dollars.

If I remember correctly, a mil is over the limit of tax free gift one can receive in a year, so there would have been income tax as well. I think. I dunno, its been a while and that sh!t was really boring.

the limit oh tax free gift is way way way lower than a million