Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

Dynasty Rookie Draft Pick 1.02

It seems as if Zeke is the #1 pick in rookie drafts, well the majority of them, who would be the best rookie with the #2 pick?

Doctson

Coleman

Treadwell

Doctson is on a crowded WR corps but would be nice mid to late 2016 if not 2017. Coleman has no QB and Treadwell is on a run first team but would easily pass Diggs for the #1 roll.

Thoughts on the #2 pick?

.5 ppr

I drafted Doctson 2 overall. Garcon and DJax are both free agents after this year which means he can step in and be the guy. I think the Redskin offense can be solid in that division of defenses.

I strongly considered Coleman, but I just couldn't pull the trigger since the Browns seem to be perpetually looking for a decent qb. Sometimes that doesn't matter, and I expect Coleman to be better this year by a mile. I just prefer to stay away from crappy offenses.

I didn't even consider Treadwell there. I think he's going to end up a possession receiver, and the Vikings don't throw the ball enough for him to become some PPR monster or something.

The 3 you mentioned have all gone at the 1.02 in the leagues I am in. They all have their upside and downside. Doctson is a WR I absolutely love, but it will be next season before he takes off. The downside to him is the QB. Do you believe the Redskins have their QB of the future right now? If so, he would be my pick. I'm also a fan of Cousins though.

Treadwell is my next guy. He may make a living on 3rd downs and in the Red Zone. Outside of the apparent size difference, he reminds me of Jarvis Landry. He catches nearly everything, but most of it will be shorter passes with the occasional intermediate route. He does run block well, so he will always be on the field and I think he is the most naturally gifted of the three.

Coleman is going to be hit or miss. On the plus side, his garbage time points could be very beneficial. On the downside, do you want to wait 2 to 3 quarters to see your fantasy WR take off? If you opt for Coleman, you can likely move back a pick or two and get more picks later.

It seems as if Zeke is the #1 pick in rookie drafts, well the majority of them, who would be the best rookie with the #2 pick?

Doctson

Coleman

Treadwell

Doctson is on a crowded WR corps but would be nice mid to late 2016 if not 2017. Coleman has no QB and Treadwell is on a run first team but would easily pass Diggs for the #1 roll.

Thoughts on the #2 pick?

For me, Sterling Shepard is an easy pick here.

• Like 1

I like Shepards landing spot a lot, but I'm not taking him over Doctson or Treadwell in dynasty. Would take Shepard before Coleman though.

I like Shepards landing spot a lot, but I'm not taking him over Doctson or Treadwell in dynasty. Would take Shepard before Coleman though.

I don't get the Shepard love - especially over Doctson and Coleman. I don't care if he's the silkiest route runner around with hands made of stickum. At best he's the number 2 on an average offense with a 35 year old QB. And he'll be the number two for as long as he's there. That puts a ceiling on his production. You'd have to think Doctson and Coleman are trash. They have the potential to be top wide receivers for years. Shepard has the potential to be a #2 on an offense that traditionally doesn't support 2 wide receivers because as long as Beckham is there, he'll be the man.

^ I completely missed on Shepard in all my rookie drafts. He's polished as all heck but I don't think he has the ceiling the other guys have and I almost think he's close to a finished product if that makes sense. Immediate impact but maybe not room to grow.

I was asking a non super die hard giants fan about who he thought an NFL comp might be and he brought up Danny Amendola, Not saying I agree just saying.

I don't see him being elite after the catch with the ball in his hands or a huge catch radius but he'll catch a ton of important balls.

If anyone remembers Ryan Broyles he never got an NFL shot due to injury but he tore up the Big 12 as well and comps pretty similarly to me. Sterling is quicker and better but body size and college production are in the ball park.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/sterling-shepard?id=2555295

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/ryan-broyles?id=2532807

I didn't realize the NY Giants had an average offense. They have finished as the #8 and #10 offense since McAdoo was the offensive coordinator.

Eli finished the last TWO consecutive seasons with the 6th most passing yards each year.

Eli threw the 2nd most TD's last year, and was 9th in the NFL in 2014.

But, it's an average offense fo sho :doublethumbsup:

Giants had to throw a lot because the defense sucked. After they spent all that money on the D I expect they will run more and pass less this year. Above average, but more 10-14 range would be my guess.

Can they run more though? Their running backs aren't very good. With Beckham, Sharp, and Cruz I would be passing 60%+ of the time.

Giants had to throw a lot because the defense sucked. After they spent all that money on the D I expect they will run more and pass less this year. Above average, but more 10-14 range would be my guess.

I'm not too impressed with their free agent acquisitions in all honest. Vernon to me was overpaid in a similar way that Byron Maxwell was. Albeit I'll admit Vernon is a better corner, he gambles too much for my liking and has a propensity for missing on those gambles. I do like they continued to address the secondary in the draft. We'll see if Apple can get some reps this year.

Can they run more though? Their running backs aren't very good. With Beckham, Sharp, and Cruz I would be passing 60%+ of the time.

This is the problem, and why I just don't see them changing much of their offensive philosophy, regardless of the game script. Their running backs are horrible and their offensive line isn't that good in run blocking.

The Giants ran 369 total plays last season when they had the lead. 189 passing attempts to 170 rushing attempts.

When they trailed, they had a 64-36% pass-to-run ratio.

Say what you will about Rueben Randle, but Shepard is vastly superior to Randle in nearly every way minus the NFL experience. Perhaps the reason why this offense couldn't support a second WR was not because of the opportunity, but because of the lack of talent. Shepard HAS talent. Now he has opportunity. In the last two seasons with McAdoo, only Drew Brees and Matt Ryan have attempted more passes than Eli

• Like 1

^ Yeah Giants O is setup especially well for him to succeed IMO. I think that's part of the reason he's getting so much hype as opposed to say if he went to the Browns or something.

Can Coleman be ruled out of the #2 spot just because he's on the Browns? Besides Barnidge, don't think any Brown will have fantasy impact.

Not sure if I'm sold on Shepard this high. He's more of a mid round 1st I believe.

Can Coleman be ruled out of the #2 spot just because he's on the Browns? Besides Barnidge, don't think any Brown will have fantasy impact.

Not sure if I'm sold on Shepard this high. He's more of a mid round 1st I believe.

Coleman went #2 in both of my rookie drafts. I actually drafted him at 2 but then traded him and Jordy Nelson for Antonio Brown.

Guys I'm not big on college football or when players typically come out but I just read that Sterling was one of the rare players that stayed for his senior college year.

I for sure think that helped him develop and polish his game but I almost wonder if his dominant senior season was so dominant because he stayed against that competition for so long compared to his peers.

I'm reaching a little here but chime in if there might be any validity. Classic over think likely going on.

His senior was 86-1,288-11 but his junior line was 51-970-5

Did CC-LT or JD come out earlier than their senior year for instance and maybe they both could have jumped higher if they stayed another year?

Again college stats don't mean a ton. OBJ never put up elite stats. Neither did AJ Green.

Ive been in 4 dynasty drafts and Sterling Shepard has gone no earlier than 1.05 in any of them.

I think Shepard is a candidate starting at 1.03 to be honest. I don't think I could pass up Treadwell at 1.02. After Tread and Zeke, I really feel that it's personal preference for how you project Doctson, Coleman, Shepard, or Thomas. All four have traits that make them appeasing to be taken so highly.

Shepard and Thomas have the capabilities of being PPR gold, but never Julio/AJG kind of freaks. They're the best route runners and are playing with Super Bowl winning QBs. I love the immediacy for them to produce more than the other two.

Coleman to me could be a DeSean in Chip's first year. The issue for me with him is: Can he have an expanded route tree? Coleman had 116 targets last season at Baylor, and 76 of them were on either go routes or hitches.

Doctson could be a phenomenal red zone threat and get a boatload of points via touchdowns. His ability to high-point a ball is outstanding.

• Like 1

Coleman went #2 in both of my rookie drafts. I actually drafted him at 2 but then traded him and Jordy Nelson for Antonio Brown.

Geez. Congrats. I think I would have needed one or two first-rounders to go along with those players to get AB if I was his owner.

I think Shepard is a candidate starting at 1.03 to be honest. I don't think I could pass up Treadwell at 1.02. After Tread and Zeke, I really feel that it's personal preference for how you project Doctson, Coleman, Shepard, or Thomas. All four have traits that make them appeasing to be taken so highly.

Shepard and Thomas have the capabilities of being PPR gold, but never Julio/AJG kind of freaks. They're the best route runners and are playing with Super Bowl winning QBs. I love the immediacy for them to produce more than the other two.

Coleman to me could be a DeSean in Chip's first year. The issue for me with him is: Can he have an expanded route tree? Coleman had 116 targets last season at Baylor, and 76 of them were on either go routes or hitches.

Doctson could be a phenomenal red zone threat and get a boatload of points via touchdowns. His ability to high-point a ball is outstanding.

I had a longer post but some of it got eaten somewhere, I agree with much of what you say here. My belief is that there arent any WRs in this draft that have AJG/Julio freak upside. They are all a bunch of WR2 type guys IMO. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, i just think in terms of long term value all of them are about equal, maybe all the way down to Tyler Boyd/Micheal Thomas/ and maybe even Malcolm Mitchell. If i had owned a pick between 1.02 and 1.05 i would have tried like hell to trade down.

I like Shep...i drafted him in two of the four leagues i mentioned above. I didnt have a pick higher than 1.05 in any of them so i never had t make a choice between Shep and any of the others, I know most of the times the "experts" will say draft talent not situation, but I do think Shep is a guy whose landing spot was so perfect that you cant ignore it. And in a draft with no real cant miss WR studs, if Shep is someone you believe in, i can see him being taken at 1.03 or 1.04.

• Like 1

Geez. Congrats. I think I would have needed one or two first-rounders to go along with those players to get AB if I was his owner.

You just hush, Some of us are still trying to acquire AB. :nono:

I have an offer on the table:

2016 Picks: 1.11 and 1.12 for my 1.02

Then I could have 3 of the first 14 picks (11, 12, and 14).

I could use the depth since I lost Megatron, A. Johnson (FA and old), James Jones (FA and old), Martavis Bryant (Suspension), and Karlos Williams (4 game suspension).

Which rookies are around late 1st? Need to decide if it's worth to drop down even though I'd like to stay at 2.

Well considering I traded up from 1.06 to 1.02 I did pay more overall for AB.

I have an offer on the table:

2016 Picks: 1.11 and 1.12 for my 1.02

Then I could have 3 of the first 14 picks (11, 12, and 14).

I could use the depth since I lost Megatron, A. Johnson (FA and old), James Jones (FA and old), Martavis Bryant (Suspension), and Karlos Williams (4 game suspension).

Which rookies are around late 1st? Need to decide if it's worth to drop down even though I'd like to stay at 2.

No way. I do not like the rookies in that area. Pretty much about as reliable as the rooks that can be had in the third round. Stick with 1.02 and take Coleman.

Well considering I traded up from 1.06 to 1.02 I did pay more overall for AB.

Still, I think you made out pretty well. Coleman is far from a sure thing (I compared him to Percy Harvin before) and Nelson has maybe one or two really good years remaining ... maybe?

I had a longer post but some of it got eaten somewhere, I agree with much of what you say here. My belief is that there arent any WRs in this draft that have AJG/Julio freak upside. They are all a bunch of WR2 type guys IMO. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, i just think in terms of long term value all of them are about equal, maybe all the way down to Tyler Boyd/Micheal Thomas/ and maybe even Malcolm Mitchell. If i had owned a pick between 1.02 and 1.05 i would have tried like hell to trade down.

I like Shep...i drafted him in two of the four leagues i mentioned above. I didnt have a pick higher than 1.05 in any of them so i never had t make a choice between Shep and any of the others, I know most of the times the "experts" will say draft talent not situation, but I do think Shep is a guy whose landing spot was so perfect that you cant ignore it. And in a draft with no real cant miss WR studs, if Shep is someone you believe in, i can see him being taken at 1.03 or 1.04.

Malcolm! One of my absolute favorite players in the draft.

If he never got the ACL tear I think he'd be right there in the mix with all of them

Tons of people are discounting his dynasty situation because the pats never hit on wrs and because Brady is getting long in the tooth.

He might be the most complete WR they have in a year or two.

Comes from a pro style offense in Georgia where he was the clear #1 target taking like 30% percentage of the targets and ran some options routes.

His highlight real is all almost entirely made up of short pro style routes and contested targets, unlike a CC or JD where you'll see a ton of deep bombs.

Watch his film again. Shades of Maclin with a little bit of the highball mentality of AJ Green.

Plus the dude taught himself how to read in Georgia and now runs kids books clubs. He's a home run for the character crazy pats.

I'm not sure I've ever had a flag player this big. I've drafted this dude in every dynasty league I had. Once actually over Will Fuller.

Don't waste a pick on Will Fuller. Speed guy with suspect hands. Those guys rarely if ever pan out.

I'm right there with you Mulls on Malcolm Mitchell. I got him in one dynasty draft this year and that was it. If he hadn't had the injury, I legit think he would've been a top 10 rookie pick this year across the board.

• Like 1

No way. I do not like the rookies in that area. Pretty much about as reliable as the rooks that can be had in the third round. Stick with 1.02 and take Coleman.

Yeah, I like the odds of getting a good player in the top 3-4 picks.

after that the odds of having a surefire player decline significantly. I agree it may be a fair offer, but I'd hang onto #2.

With 1.02 I would trade back to around 1.05 and take Mike Thomas (Saints).

Personally I'm high on the players skills and attitude. Combine this with his landing spot and I like it a lot.

I took him at 1.04 in one league because I couldnt get any value to move back to 1.07/1.07 which is his average range I think.

With 1.02 I would trade back to around 1.05 and take Mike Thomas (Saints).

Personally I'm high on the players skills and attitude. Combine this with his landing spot and I like it a lot.

I took him at 1.04 in one league because I couldnt get any value to move back to 1.07/1.07 which is his average range I think.

You like him more than Sterling? The Boldin rumors at least in the short term might have me a little worried.

You like him more than Sterling? The Boldin rumors at least in the short term might have me a little worried.

FWIW, the Boldin rumors were denied by a few reputable Saints beat writers. Not sure where that one came from

Definitely not taking the trade. Rather stay at 1.02. But now he offered:

1.07 and 1.11 for 1.02.

Yes, he has 3 first round picks this year from previous trades he made last season.

Definitely not taking the trade. Rather stay at 1.02. But now he offered:

1.07 and 1.11 for 1.02.

Yes, he has 3 first round picks this year from previous trades he made last season.

Nope