Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Doug Martin

Despite the fact Cleveland likely stole the player they wanted the most at the top of the first round in Trent Richardson, the Bucs recover nicely by trading back into the first by selecting Martin, likely stealing him from the Giants. In the end, the draft's top two RBs end up in two of the best fantasy situations they could have asked for. The Ray Rice comparison is apt in terms of size, although Rice wins the battle of explosiveness while Martin is slightly more powerful. Martin is a three-down back and should make LeGarrette Blount into nothing more than handcuff for fantasy purposes. Martin's dynasty value is sky high. His redraft value is certainly on par with Richardson. Given his supporting cast and the division he plays in, one could easily argue Martin is the more desirable fantasy RB in 2012.

I like this kid. Was a little surprised he went in the 1st but he has the talent. I could totally see him having a Ray Rice Lite type year, with Blount getting the majority of the TD's.

And it's kind of funny Martin and Blount are now teammates. Maybe the rookie will land the suckerpunch of justice on Blount this summer.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction & say that Martin has a better rookie season than Richardson. Better situation & the defenses in the NFC south are powder puffs compared to the bruisers in the AFC North that Richardson is gonna face.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction & say that Martin has a better rookie season than Richardson. Better situation & the defenses in the NFC south are powder puffs compared to the bruisers in the AFC North that Richardson is gonna face.

This prediction has a good chance of becoming true.

I'm bored so I'm trying to forecast where Martin might be drafted in redraft leagues this upcoming season. Possibly as early as the mid-3rd round?

He's a third-round pick at worst right now IMO. Unfortunately, I think Michael Smith will dent his PPR upside a bit by stealing some passing-down work from him and I have a bad feeling Schiano will mistakenly try to use Blount at the goal line even though he lost that job at least once over the last two years. Still, I expect Martin will push 250 carries and wouldn't be surprised if he averages 4.6-4.8 YPC behind the Bucs line. Add in 30+ catches and I think he'll easily meet third-round value. I hope I'm wrong about Blount (in part b/c I like Martin and don't care much about Blount), but I think I'm right about 5-8 touches/game for Smith. If Blount is merely a backup, I think Martin has more redraft value than Richardson.

Doug Martin currently goes 8.08 on myfantasyleague ppr real 12 team league drafts, and 10.02 on fantasyfootballcalculator ppr 12 team mock drafts.

Doug Martin currently goes 8.08 on myfantasyleague ppr real 12 team league drafts, and 10.02 on fantasyfootballcalculator ppr 12 team mock drafts.

Let's keep it that way!

I'm sitting on a #2 pick in a dynasty league draft and have to decide between this kid and Andrew Luck (assuming Richardson doesn't miraculously falls into my lap).

Although I live overseas and it's hard to follow college ball, I've still been fully aware of the Luck hype for over a year. Martin is new to me. Frankly though, I'd prefer the RB, so I'm trying to warm myself up to Martin. Seems to be in a good situation. TB is a run-first team.