Sign in to follow this  
sak007

dynasty rookie pick 1.04

I'm hoping to get some advice on who I should pick with the 1.04 rookie draft. 4pts per pass TD; 6 pts for the rest; .1 pts per 10 yards, bonus for 40, 60, and 80 yarders; 12 team, 24 man rosters.

Bush will go #1. Who will go at #2 is a question. If Maroney is there at #3, he'll be taken by the Dillon owner. So, I will have to choose from one of DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai, or Vernon Davis....for the time being at least.

I have the luxury of RB depth, so I can either be patient and wait for one of the young RBs to get his chance, or I can trade the RB. They are popular. Or, with some real questions at TE, Davis would make sense. But, having a young RB is more valuable, Shaun Alexander ain't getting any younger, or I could trade one of my RBs for other pieces. BTW, I had the highest scoring team in the league last year with those TEs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I still think you should go RB unless you can trade down and acquire more RB depth and still get Davis, which is quite unlikely at your spot and the fact Davis hasn't made it past 1.06 in most rookie drafts. LJ and Alexander is an awesome backfield, but you don't have much in terms of starters after them. This means one injury and your team goes from being dominant to being a borderline playoff contender.

Personally, I like Addai's situation best this year, but I think DeAngelo Williams is the most talent back of the bunch. At this stage it's not a bad decision either way.

Re-draft, I'd go Addai. Dynasty, I think Williams is a special back and would have been the no-question #1 RB in this class if Bush didn't come out early.

If John Fox was in on the selection of Williams that should send a nice message to you. Williams isn't the blocker that Addai is, but they are both good receivers. Williams has better vision and surprising power. Williams reminds me of Tony Dorsett. Addai reminds me of a mix between Chris Brown and Edgerrin James.

TE's like Davis are tough to come across, but I think your best bet at maintaining dominance is to keep adding promising RBs to your stable.

I still think you should go RB unless you can trade down and acquire more RB depth and still get Davis, which is quite unlikely at your spot and the fact Davis hasn't made it past 1.06 in most rookie drafts. LJ and Alexander is an awesome backfield, but you don't have much in terms of starters after them. This means one injury and your team goes from being dominant to being a borderline playoff contender.

Personally, I like Addai's situation best this year, but I think DeAngelo Williams is the most talent back of the bunch. At this stage it's not a bad decision either way.

Re-draft, I'd go Addai. Dynasty, I think Williams is a special back and would have been the no-question #1 RB in this class if Bush didn't come out early.

If John Fox was in on the selection of Williams that should send a nice message to you. Williams isn't the blocker that Addai is, but they are both good receivers. Williams has better vision and surprising power. Williams reminds me of Tony Dorsett. Addai reminds me of a mix between Chris Brown and Edgerrin James.

TE's like Davis are tough to come across, but I think your best bet at maintaining dominance is to keep adding promising RBs to your stable.

Thanks, Wildman, for the time and the thoughts. I've only had the guy with the 1.05 pick approach me about moving up. He is in my division and had only 1 win last year. He can only really offer me his 1.05 (I have his 2nd rounder already) and one of his older WRs - Galloway, Glenn, or Moulds), which would give me depth there, since I just traded Stallworth to get the 1.04, and would leave me with either LenDale or VDavis as my choices. There are only a few teams not afraid to trade, and I've already guaged their interests.

I hear what you're saying as far as simple comparisons are concerned. I liked Dorsett's game. I like Addai, but he doesn't look as fluid in the hips as Williams, or Edge for that matter. So, I am looking for Williams first and then Addai, but the thought of taking Davis is always looming, especially for a fellow Terp, like myself. Let it be known, however, that I always bet with my wallet and not my loyalties - well, hardly ever, at least.

Thanks again, brother!

Hey no problem!

I love DeAngelo Williams' game. I think you should be excited about drafting him, despite the presence of Foster. I studied Williams game verus Ole Miss last year--Ed Orgeron was the defensive coordinator for the Trojans the year before getting the head coaching job and has experience as a coach for the Miami Hurricanes...he knows his stuff--and despite the fact the starting QB for Memphis was lost for the season on the first drive of the game, Williams put on an impressive show.

Though respectable against a good defensive effort, the stats weren't as impressive as his play.

I've been harsh on Lendale White prior to the draft, but I was probably wrong about him. I had him graded out pretty well, but dropped him some points due to his character and what I characterized as complacent effort on some plays (he looked like he was expecting the o-line to open massive holes for him to showboat through on several occassions and got stuffed). But as a power runner, he's going to be good for at least a few years. White isn't a bad choice at your spot, especially with the Chris Brown trade rumor floating around lately.

I love me some Vernon Davis, so I understand. I don't think it's out of the question for you to take him. In fact your team could be pretty dominant if he plays the way it looks he can and your starters stay healthy. You'll just have to draft RBs next year. You can also target some fantasy round 2-5 guys that I think might come through for you in a couple of years:

Jerious Norwood*

Maurice Jones-Drew*

Jerome Harrison

P.J. Daniels

Wali Lundy

*Might do it for you sooner based on players ahead of them either getting older and/or not getting along with the coaching staff.

Go with Davis big man, are any of those RB's going to crack your lineup? Davis is the second coming of Bavarro with the ability of Gates. Use him.

Post on mine please, I'm biglou

Go with Davis big man, are any of those RB's going to crack your lineup? Davis is the second coming of Bavarro with the ability of Gates. Use him.

Post on mine please, I'm biglou

True biglou. The question is there a QB that is going to maximize that ability? I think between an improved Smith or Dilfer, he should do fine. Still the rate of injury w/RBs is higher than any position. Of course if you make every decision based on fear of the unknown that you can't predict, you'll play too conservative to likely win your league.

Just trying to explore all the possibilities....